Engvall on loan to Sweden

bristolcitysweden

19 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Andy Cole

Tom Heaton

Rob Newman

Albert Adomah

Greg Cunningham

.....just a few off the top of my head that could possibly fit that description...but you're right in that we aren't generally a club that produces/finds too many gems who go on to set the world alight...

True about Heaton, forgot him. Newman and Cole were a bit before my time but Cole is also an obvious one. Guess you could argue Akinbiyi too thinking about it. I meant massively as meaning establishing themselves in the premier league so under that parameter would discount Cunningham/Adomah. 

16 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

He's also a short train ride away from home and not a flight away from his girlfriend.

Boo hoo. This is almost too namby pamby for words.

Contrast and compare Gustav with Gerry Gow who moved down from Glasgow on his own, lived in digs in Ashton Road and was playing first team football at our current level at 17.

If Engvall wasn't of similar character, and was too attached to home and girlfriend at 20 to happily up sticks, City shouldn't have signed him.

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Contrast and compare Gustav with Gerry Gow who moved down from Glasgow on his own, lived in digs in Ashton Road and was playing first team football at our current level at 17.

If Engvall wasn't of similar character, and was too attached to home and girlfriend at 20 to happily up sticks, City shouldn't have signed him.

Or even Wes who having shown some reallly good signs at the turn of last year was shipped off to digs in Fleetwood for a relegation battle , a 4 hr drive from girlfriend & family - and knuckled down and gave it everything

think its much more likely any problems settling are more to do with an obvious lack of opportunity here and the obvious message from our management team

Surely this must heavily depend on Tammy's fitness?

Yes; we have Taylor, Djuric and Wilbs still if Tammy needs some time off to heal, but wouldn't this be EXACTLY the opportunity Engval is here for?

Granted; Tomlin gets classed as a forward, but I'm sceptical at that.

If he isn't even making the bench when we're down to Wilbs as back up (no slight on him), then I think we can comfortably say he's not in the picture.

Hell; if Bobby Reid has ended up frozen out despite with his goals and assists from the decent run earlier in the season under his belt, Engvall and his singular assist going missing is hardly a surprise.

We've done some decent business this year; shame about Gustav.

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Or even Wes who having shown some reallly good signs at the turn of last year was shipped off to digs in Fleetwood for a relegation battle , a 4 hr drive from girlfriend & family - and knuckled down and gave it everything

Yep Bob, and fair to say Wes' wage packet would be considerably less bulging than Gustav's.

Not sure why mind you, very similar stages in their careers and Wes having at least equal potential imo.

Anyway, in Gustav's case you takes the money....you've made your choice.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

When I spoke to him at Xmas, he told me he'd settled in well to life in Bristol, was a bit frustrated with game time, but fully believed in his own ability.  He said he got regular visits from his family, so wasn't homesick.  It's an easy excuse to give a young, foreign player.  It's not one he admitted himself.

Interesting the comparison with Gow.  Was he in digs on his own, or placed with a family like they used to? What about Mark McGhee?

I've mentioned before that Drogba (not namby-pamby) took a season to settle at Chelsea.  Completely left to sort himself out, had no idea where the training ground was, didn't know where to base himself.  Chelsea spent £30m letting hIm 'settle'.

Didn't Kodjia have to get someone to show him how to get to the ground for the first home game last season?

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

think its much more likely any problems settling are more to do with an obvious lack of opportunity here and the obvious message from our management team

I agree.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting the comparison with Gow.  Was he in digs on his own, or placed with a family like they used to? What about Mark McGhee?

Gerry Gow lived with Mark McGhee? I bet I can guess who done the hoovering and washing up in that set up.....

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When I spoke to him at Xmas, he told me he'd settled in well to life in Bristol, was a bit frustrated with game time, but fully believed in his own ability.  He said he got regular visits from his family, so wasn't homesick.  It's an easy excuse to give a young, foreign player.  It's not one he admitted himself.

Having recently relocated my family to the States I would say culture shock is very real and difficult to deal with. The first part of it actually tends to be a honeymoon period, where because everything is new and exciting you don't confront the reality and ignore any lingering doubts. Then it just kind of hits you and it can be tough to deal with.

3 minutes ago, RichardEdd said:

Having recently relocated my family to the States I would say culture shock is very real and difficult to deal with. The first part of it actually tends to be a honeymoon period, where because everything is new and exciting you don't confront the reality and ignore any lingering doubts. Then it just kind of hits you and it can be tough to deal with.

Perhaps you should have gone with them!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I've mentioned before that Drogba (not namby-pamby) took a season to settle at Chelsea.  Completely left to sort himself out, had no idea where the training ground was, didn't know where to base himself.  Chelsea spent £30m letting hIm 'settle'.

Didn't Kodjia have to get someone to show him how to get to the ground for the first home game last season?

I agree.

If the club are not even helping new players with any support at all and just dumping them into the deep end then that is a huge failing. 

10 minutes ago, Fiale said:

If the club are not even helping new players with any support at all and just dumping them into the deep end then that is a huge failing. 

Was t suggesting that, Engvall said he'd settled in well....you hope the club learned from things like the Kodjia thing.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It's sounds more like people imagining possible excuses for Gustav's lack of visible progress rather than any problem with the player himself then.

Gerry Gow won't have shared a house with McGhee, Gerry was a good 5 years older than him. nor Sweeney who's about 7 years older.

Most likely sharing with Tom and Steve Ritchie I suspect.

They weren't placed with a family, but there was a landlady known to the club in situ iirc., to keep a motherly eye on them.

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's sounds more like people imagining possible excuses for Gustav's lack of visible progress rather than any problem with the player himself then.

Gerry Gow won't have shared a house with McGhee, Gerry was a good 5 years older than him. nor Sweeney who's about 7 years older.

More likely sharing with Tom and Steve Ritchie I suspect.

They weren't placed with a family, but there was a landlady known to the club in situ iirc., to keep a motherly eye on them.

Ha ha, I wasn't saying Gow shared with `McGhee, just using them as comparable as Scots coming to City at a young age.  One was brill, the other went on to be very decent elsewhere - just wondering why it worked for Gow but not McGhee.  Was Gow down here at a similar time to Ritchie and the others.

Agree, think people are imagining excuses.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Was t suggesting that, Engvall said he'd settled in well....you hope the club learned from things like the Kodjia thing.

Gonna be honest Dave - Personally in the glimpses of Engvall I've seen my instinctive hunch is that I'm not sure he's ready for this level of football and possibly isn't full stop

Thats only initial gut instinct on what I've seen and he may well develop in the next 2/3 years even

Im not sure we will see him in a City shirt tbh 

Ive not seen enough in him that others have but we've all only had a 'taster' and it's not something I'd jump on LJ for in terms of selection, certainly the starting eleven 

LJ and staff see him every day but I do think 

a) We could have utilised him from the bench to see if he sinks or thrives

b) We should have been able to judge what we have and should have got him out to an English Club in Jan., even if it meant paying all his wages. The return to Sweden is not a good sign IMO

We are either misjudging his ability to contribute the first team or didn't get what we believe we'd bought IMHO

I can see him leaving and it becoming a costly purchase

Whether he develops and if he leaves goes onto blossom elsewhere in 1/2/3 seasons time , who knows  

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ha ha, I wasn't saying Gow shared with `McGhee, just using them as comparable as Scots coming to City at a young age.  One was brill, the other went on to be very decent elsewhere - just wondering why it worked for Gow but not McGhee.  Was Gow down here at a similar time to Ritchie and the others.

Agree, think people are imagining excuses.

Apparently McGhee let on his ambition was to manage Bristol Rovers one day, and then no one was willing to share with him. ;)

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Gonna be honest Dave - Personally in the glimpses of Engvall I've seen my instinctive hunch is that I'm not sure he's ready for this level of football and possibly isn't full stop

Thats only initial gut instinct on what I've seen and he may well develop in the next 2/3 years even

Im not sure we will see him in a City shirt tbh 

Ive not seen enough in him that others have but we've all only had a 'taster' and it's not something I'd jump on LJ for in terms of selection, certainly the starting eleven 

LJ and staff see him every day but I do think 

a) We could have utilised him from the bench to see if he sinks or thrives

b) We should have been able to judge what we have and should have got him out to an English Club in Jan., even if it meant paying all his wages. The return to Sweden is not a good sign IMO

We are either misjudging his ability to contribute the first team or didn't get what we believe we'd bought IMHO

I can see him leaving and it becoming a costly purchase

Whether he develops and if he leaves goes onto blossom elsewhere in 1/2/3 seasons time , who knows  

Yeah, fair view BBSB.  I liked what I saw for an hour v Hull, and wanted to see some more.  He's only 20, so has time.  It might not be though.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, fair view BBSB.  I liked what I saw for an hour v Hull, and wanted to see some more.  He's only 20, so has time.  It might not be though.

I liked his first touch Dave and he looked a 'footballer' , what struck me was that there were two opportunities in that game where he had the chance to run one on one at the last man but instead looked to a teammate

Just didn't look like that ruthless type forward to me but a ridiculous 'sample size' to fairly judge, especially under the pressure as a young player getting a starting spot

Plus there are different styles of forwards but his movement and play didn't strike me 'goalscorer'

He struck me as more of a Nicky Morgan type player (Quicker than NM but not as good at moment at least) but that 'style' of player

I don't know how we thought we would utilise him but he's not somebody I'd see Playing up top on his own 

Is it my imagination but do Scandavian players take a while to develop but can be very good later in their careers ?

Or is my perception wrong ?

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I liked his first touch Dave and he looked a 'footballer' , what struck me was that there were two opportunities in that game where he had the chance to run one on one at the last man but instead looked to a teammate

Just didn't look like that ruthless type forward to me but a ridiculous 'sample size' to fairly judge, especially under the pressure as a young player getting a starting spot

Plus there are different styles of forwards but his movement and play didn't strike me 'goalscorer'

He struck me as more of a Nicky Morgan type player (Quicker than NM but not as good at moment at least) but that 'style' of player

I don't know how we thought we would utilise him but he's not somebody I'd see Playing up top on his own 

Is it my imagination but do Scandavian players take a while to develop but can be very good later in their careers ?

Or is my perception wrong ?

Yes, his goals record in Sweden suggests he's not an out and out goalscorer, nor would he be the first striker not suited to playing on his own.  That, and Tammy's goals as one-up-top has stopped Gustav getting starts.

I like the Morgan analogy.

I'm not sure if it's looks, or the Scandinavian link, but reminds me of Eidur Gudjohnson.  Not as good as him.

I'm sure he's got something (from my small sample).  I think he could play in a two, with all of our strikers.

Archived