IGNORED

SL has no idea

We live in hope

Just now, RumRed said:

First sentence, rest was about SL and all subsequent posts until Neo, who then mentioned LJ, merge, and made wanking references?  Quite happy to carry on having the conversation with those that can actually read a thread before shouting 'merge'.

He wasn't shouting "merge" though, which does make the highlighted section a bit ironic.

Neo's response was purely to the bit where the OP complained about the merging, seeing as he took out the other part and didn't comment on that aspect of it.

No one on this thread has said this thread should be merged or that this is a topic that shouldn't be debated.

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Get yourself tens of millions of quid and you can buy him out and run things your way. How hard can it be, right?

Or be a supporter of a football club with over 120 year history with 5 generations of my family supporting.  I ******* hate modern day football and the sycophants that follow it.   

Money money money.

if you're going to spend then do it right, if not let's start again from the bottom of the pyramid and not be subjected to the whims of the ridiculously wealthy.

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

Or be a supporter of a football club with over 120 year history with 5 generations of my family supporting.  I ******* hate modern day football and the sycophants that follow it.   

Money money money.

if you're going to spend then do it right, if not let's start again from the bottom of the pyramid and not be subjected to the whims of the ridiculously wealthy.

i

Interesting post. Greed is good. Much prefer to go back to standing on the East End with that lovely stench of piss 

11 minutes ago, RumRed said:

First sentence, rest was about SL and all subsequent posts until Neo, who then mentioned LJ, merge, and made wanking references?  Quite happy to carry on having the conversation with those that can actually read a thread before shouting 'merge'.

I sincerely hope noone is indulging in this practice whilst posting to the board. Very bad form. Although it might help to explain some of the lack of focus and baad spelin manye of the posters exhibitt.

24 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Get yourself tens of millions of quid and you can buy him out and run things your way. How hard can it be, right?

The whole thing's a mess.  Can't believe the love in over the stadium that some appear to have.  Some of the best blood and guts displays I've seen have been stood 'up north' on open terraces with the sleet in my eyes and bovril hot enough to give you 1st degree burns (looking at you Stockport, you bastards).

In my opinion we either go for it or start again,  league one/lower championship is the perfect storm of no success and no backs against the wall passion, we may as well play in beige.

1 hour ago, RumRed said:

If I wanted to support a business property I'd sit in Bluewater or Lakeside on a Saturday afternoon.

Unfortunately the business side of things is just as important as the football these days. SL needs to bring in a right hand man who makes the footballing decisions and SL needs to accept these decisions even if he doesn't agree with them. 

Just now, Spike said:

Unfortunately the business side of things is just as important as the football these days. SL needs to bring in a right hand man who makes the footballing decisions and SL needs to accept these decisions even if he doesn't agree with them. 

My feelings exactly, I do understand the fact we require non match day income. Time for the football decisions to be handed over imo.

13 minutes ago, Spike said:

I thought that was what Mr Ashton was meant to do but clearly that went out the window when LJ was recommended to the board to be appointed. Just another yes man.

1 hour ago, We live in hope said:

Seeing as cretic about a certain person leads to merged threads! Lets debate our owner! Who thinks he knows really what he is doing with our football club. After all without us fans it would be worthless. I think lansdown has no idea who agrees??

I come on here once in a while as a gashead not to wind anyone up, but to enjoy abit of banter and to get a view of the red side of our fine City's other footballing side.

From a outsiders point of view, and even as a gashead I cant help but respect and do anything but applaud what landsdown has tried to do for a Bristol club - even if its at City. 

Money wise I guess with what he has written off...spent on the New gate, as well as on transfers over the years he must have done £300 million at least on BCFC?

But does he really know what he is doing from a footballing side of things? Its not a knock, just a question..

He reminds me of Higgs in a odd way. 

See Higgs heart was in the right place and loved our club,but he didn't have the deep pockets that steve has and made some awlful football decisions which seems like lansdown also does.

I've gotta admit that now with the Gate rebuilt and the cash he is willing to spend on you that if I was a city fan then I would want to see my club challenging for the prem over the next five years, yet you seem to be going backwards on the field which is confusing.

1 minute ago, Dynamite Red said:

I thought that was what Mr Ashton was meant to do but clearly that went out the window when LJ was recommended to the board to be appointed. Just another yes man.

Yeah Ashton isn't that man, he's obviously looking into players and doing his part but it's plain to see if SL disagrees then SL gets the final say. 

7 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

That's all God and we'll, why is it so difficult to just admit that given all his resource it's been a footballing disaster under his stewardship. IF we end up back in div 3 what on earth has it all been for?

It's this blindness by do many that baffles me.

Nice stadium though.

6 hours ago, icegas said:

I come on here once in a while as a gashead not to wind anyone up, but to enjoy abit of banter and to get a view of the red side of our fine City's other footballing side.

From a outsiders point of view, and even as a gashead I cant help but respect and do anything but applaud what landsdown has tried to do for a Bristol club - even if its at City. 

Money wise I guess with what he has written off...spent on the New gate, as well as on transfers over the years he must have done £300 million at least on BCFC?

But does he really know what he is doing from a footballing side of things? Its not a knock, just a question..

He reminds me of Higgs in a odd way. 

See Higgs heart was in the right place and loved our club,but he didn't have the deep pockets that steve has and made some awlful football decisions which seems like lansdown also does.

I've gotta admit that now with the Gate rebuilt and the cash he is willing to spend on you that if I was a city fan then I would want to see my club challenging for the prem over the next five years, yet you seem to be going backwards on the field which is confusing.

This is the point and conclusion I have now reached and don't understand why so many can't see it. We could be playing you next season and have absolutely nothing of footballing note to show for all the money he has. We have just spent our time in division 3 or struggling for a couple of seasons in division 2. It's a flat out failure.

befre lansdown we spent the majority of our time in the 3rd div

after lansdown we spent the majority of our time in the second div, with a better ground better training facilities, better academy, better finance

yea he's done **** all hasn't

you ar an idiot

19 minutes ago, 054123 said:

That's all God and we'll, why is it so difficult to just admit that given all his resource it's been a footballing disaster under his stewardship. IF we end up back in div 3 what on earth has it all been for?

Nice stadium though.

It's not blindness,

we very near went to the wall 30 years ago, eith lansdown that will never happen

perhaps you'd prefer life without him, take a look north of the river, that's what it will be like

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

It's not blindness,

we very near went to the wall 30 years ago, eith lansdown that will never happen

perhaps you'd prefer life without him, take a look north of the river, that's what it will be like

What I see North of the river is a team that aren't very far behind in terms of league position - and for me it's a all about what happens on the pitch, nothing elserious matters- isn't that the point of it all?

Just now, NorfolkInChance said:

What I see North of the river is a team that aren't very far behind in terms of league position - and for me it's a all about what happens on the pitch, nothing elserious matters- isn't that the point of it all?

Then go support a successful team then, after all if it only matters what's on the pitch then why support a 2nd division club?

22 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

befre lansdown we spent the majority of our time in the 3rd div

after lansdown we spent the majority of our time in the second div, with a better ground better training facilities, better academy, better finance

yea he's done **** all hasn't

you ar an idiot

He's not beyond critique. Yes, everyone pretty much unanimously acknowledges that the club, as a bigger picture, is in a better place because of SL. There are quite rightly lingering doubts about his football decision making though.

We can have the nicest stadium, least amount of debt, best training pitches and the tastiest pies in the league.. but if we don't get the football decisions right it's pointless.

22 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Then go support a successful team then, after all if it only matters what's on the pitch then why support a 2nd division club?

At what point did I mention supporting another team?  I've been following City for 45 years and that ain't gonna change!

You mentioned about that lot North of the river and I stated the fact that in footballing terms we are not that far apart and that is a fact unless the league tables are lying?

You need to feel your neck in a bit and have some respect and understanding of what other people post before posting complete carp.....

When he took over we were in league 3 and there is a reasonable chance we will be back there again soon.  I don't doubt his commitment but in terms of football he his underachieving based on the money he has put in.

I don't think you have to be disrespectful of the time and money Steve Lansdown has put into the club to question where it's got us. It's got us a couple of new stands and we've had some decent years in the second tier. If I were to look back at the stated intentions of the Lansdown project over the past decade I recall them being a bit more ambitious than that.

Likewise I find it hard to believe that if the Lansdowns stepped away no one else would be interested in investing in a club with our facilities, pedigree, geographical location and fanbase. And as others have said, even if we were less wealthy would that prevent us competing effectively with Barnsley or Preston?...or Rovers, who I note are just a dozen places below us in the tables and have had few of the Lansdown advantages.

There's too much cap doffing, in my opinion. Nice enough chap, but if he's going to half deliver on his more extravagant ambitions he needs to get on with it before we are back where we were when he came in.

33 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He's not beyond critique. Yes, everyone pretty much unanimously acknowledges that the club, as a bigger picture, is in a better place because of SL. There are quite rightly lingering doubts about his football decision making though.

We can have the nicest stadium, least amount of debt, best training pitches and the tastiest pies in the league.. but if we don't get the football decisions right it's pointless.

yea he isn't above critique, but people are moaning at the fact he always backs a manager, regardless of who said manager is, every season people cry for him to get the cheque book out, and he does and it isn't enough,

Some times I really do wish he leaves and we end up with a tan or a mike ashley or a risdale, then some people really would have the right to moan, but as it stands most are just ******* ungrateful 

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

yea he isn't above critique, but people are moaning at the fact he always backs a manager, regardless of who said manager is, every season people cry for him to get the cheque book out, and he does and it isn't enough,

No they aren't. They're questioning his footballing decisions and whether they match the business decisions. There are multiple instances where we've made seemingly naive and risky decisions that just haven't paid off. I think there's enough hard evidence of his decision making now to question whether he always makes the best decisions. 

Some times I really do wish he leaves and we end up with a tan or a mike ashley or a risdale, then some people really would have the right to moan, but as it stands most are just ******* ungrateful 

It's not about being ungrateful, I don't think anyone wishes he wasn't here. Almost everything is great at the club - all the off the pitch stuff is really promising, our academy and scouting seems to be getting to where it should be.. I don't see people saying he should spend MORE money people seem actually to be questioning whether we've spent too much (relative to our league position). What they're (quite rightly) questioning is whether his decision making at a football level is good enough. It's not people being ungrateful necessarily.

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm pleased so many of you are able to lay the blame at SL when there actually a board of directors (including a chairman) who are equally responsible.

Why aren't they to blame as well?

Is there a board of directors...in any meaningful sense? Not trying to be funny but having watched the club reasonably closely for years it seems clear that this is the Lansdown's project, they own it, they get full credit when things go well. As they should. The opinion that matters is Steve's, isn't it? 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

It's not blindness,

I agree with this. Yes financial security is important. However I do not see why we should be struggling to hold our place in the championship with the current business model?

48 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Cant argue with this the business it seems to be all good. The only issue it seems who can be advising SL regarding football decisions...?

8 hours ago, RumRed said:

Money money money.

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Nice stadium though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he should be immune from criticism. He's made mistakes over the years just like every other manager or chairman in football history. 

But theres a real case of 'be careful what you wish for'. It would be the most 'Bristol City' thing ever to hound out an English chairman who genuinely loves the club and wants it to succeed and welcome in some Qatari banker who talks the talk.

Fans and managers of clubs up and down the land constantly point to Lansdown as a real asset and something to be grateful for - they can't all be wrong can they?

Whilst I appreciate the point that without on pitch success, the off pitch stuff is irrelevant, it's very much a chicken and egg situation. How many clubs have actually genuinely achieved sustainable success with their off pitch affairs in a shambles?

Would Brighton finally be reaping the rewards they are now if it weren't for their continued persistence with sorting out the off pitch affairs? It's taken several years for their labour to bear fruit and it wasn't without its share of struggle. It's easy to look at other teams as having an easy ride to success but it's rare. 

I think of it like a massive jigsaw.

2 or 3 years ago we just had the picture on the box. Now we've got a few corners and a little bit in the middle and can actually see what it might be when we're finished. 

Contrary to recent results there are signs of improvement on the pitch when taking a long term view. The Kodjia situation is one sign, the signing of Tomlin and Tammy another. Compare that to the sort of business we did last time we were fighting for championship survival (no not last season, the time before that!!)

TLDR - be careful what you wish for because for every Lansdown, who tries his best to do the right thing and sometimes gets it wrong, there's a Tan or an Allam who will gladly rip the soul from your club and change the colour of the shirt on your back for a few quid. 

Archived