IGNORED

LJ coaching and talent spotting. (Merged again and again)

ciderbeans

So an interview with Pemberton has revealed that he and Holden conduct all coaching to take workload off LJ while he concentrates on talent identification...

is this part of the problem that the manager isnt even getting involved in the coaching? Isn't it MA and the chief scouts job to identify and sign talent?

why is he focussing on future talent when we have a bloated squad and we need to focus on the here and now and the players we already have?

not trying to have a LJ bash but what is happening in the background according to Pembo seems odd. Is it just me? 

33 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

So an interview with Pemberton has revealed that he and Holden conduct all coaching to take workload off LJ while he concentrates on talent identification...

is this part of the problem that the manager isnt even getting involved in the coaching? Isn't it MA and the chief scouts job to identify and sign talent?

why is he focussing on future talent when we have a bloated squad and we need to focus on the here and now and the players we already have?

not trying to have a LJ bash but what is happening in the background according to Pembo seems odd. Is it just me? 

None of us know for sure so it's pointless speculating. 

40 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

Completely agree Ciderbeans........Correct me if I'm wrong but LJ was brought in as Head Coach, not Manager, so that he fitted into the clubs structure of having the scouting network and Mark Ashton concentrating on talent identification, negotiating etc

LJ would identify an area / position /  type of player required, scouting network would get to work, a player is identified, LJ watches and decides if he wants him, MA then goes to work negotiating to the point of signing.

The structure meant that LJ and his coaching staff could concentrate on the players and squad, coaching, tactics, formations, man management etc whilst keeping a peripheral eye on academy and future players

I'm sure there were some rumours going around a while back suggesting LJ was rarely or only fleetingly on the coaching field........this seems to suggest there was some credence to these rumours and might go some way to explaining why we are in the mess we find ourselves

See...this is the type of bull shit OP that litters this forum. It's been taken totally out of context to what the interview says. And before you know it, other posters are believing it. Then it becomes gospel...and then 'LJ doesn't take any of the coaching' IS THE MANTRA. This forum is just FULL of utter bullshit, because people just don't read properly, understand, or just plain stupid or have an agenda to bash the club with. Why post this shit, when it's not what the article implies.

Quote...

'Both have taken responsibility for training ground matters AT TIMES this season in order to free up valuable time for Johnson to talent spot potential new players and focus on the important matter of recruitment for the first team squad.'

IF YOU READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE, IT IMPLIES THEY SHARE RESPONSIBILITY OF COACHING. NOT ALL OF IT. THEY SPREAD THE WORKLOAD. THAT HAPPENS AT EVERY CLUB. THAT'S WHAT ASSISTANT COACH'S ARE FOR. IT DOESN'T SAY LJ DOESN'T DO ANY COACHING OR THAT HE'S OFF TALENT SPOTTING ALL THE TIME .... **** ME...WARNOCK TURNS UP ON A THURSDAY AND LET'S HIS ASSISTANTS DO EVERYTHING, SIMILAR TO FERGUSON....FFS...THIS FORUM...why? :grr:

• Admin
12 minutes ago, spudski said:

See...this is the type of bull shit OP that litters this forum.

This forum is just FULL of utter bullshit, because people just don't read properly, understand, or just plain stupid or have an agenda to bash the club with.

Blimey - did you get out of bed the wrong side this morning @spudski

Rightly or wrongly an open forum is just that - EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion be it right or wrong

• Admin
1 hour ago, ciderbeans said:

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

Quote...

'Both have taken responsibility for training ground matters AT TIMES this season in order to free up valuable time for Johnson to talent spot potential new players and focus on the important matter of recruitment for the first team squad.'

IF YOU READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE, IT IMPLIES THEY SHARE RESPONSIBILITY OF COACHING. NOT ALL OF IT. THEY SPREAD THE WORKLOAD. THAT HAPPENS AT EVERY CLUB. THAT'S WHAT ASSISTANT COACH'S ARE FOR. IT DOESN'T SAY LJ DOESN'T DO ANY COACHING OR THAT HE'S OFF TALENT SPOTTING ALL THE TIME 

@ciderbeans may want to look at this?

1 hour ago, ciderbeans said:

You're either stupid or trying to cause trouble.  

Fed up with being polite on here.

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

Rightly or wrongly an open forum is just that - EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion be it right or wrong

Big difference between having an opinion on a factual matter and peddling utter bullshit based on incorrectly interpreting something. 

14 minutes ago, phantom said:

I agree...everyone is entitled to an opinion. But based on fact surely. This is purely made up bunkum...Look at the posts heading ' LJ not coaching but focussing on talent spotting'....and then saying in the opening gambit... 'So an interview with Pemberton has revealed that he and Holden conduct ALL coaching to take workload off LJ while he concentrates on talent identification...'

It's utter bullshit mate and made up crap.

Surely as Moderators such things should be pulled.

It's purely made up.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree...everyone is entitled to an opinion. But based on fact surely. This is purely made up bunkum...Look at the posts heading ' LJ not coaching but focussing on talent spotting'....and then saying in the opening gambit... 'So an interview with Pemberton has revealed that he and Holden conduct ALL coaching to take workload off LJ while he concentrates on talent identification...'

It's purely made up.

There is no place for bullshit and made up stuff on this forum.

Ive heard that Lee Johnson makes all his signings based on playing Championship Manager, decides his team selections by phoning his Dad for his opinion and decides his tactics based on what works when he plays Subbutteo.

FACT!

Of course, if any of this is true then we are well and truly stuffed :shocking:

• Admin
15 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Big difference between having an opinion on a factual matter and peddling utter bullshit based on incorrectly interpreting something. 

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

To be honest, I'm not sure where "we" stand. As an independant forum the club have no control over this site, off the top of my head (and can't remember what it was) a few years back there was something libelous written on here that was pointed out to the SC&T, and from there was agreed to remove the comment.

In this instance it is clear, but other times, just because it is uncomfortable reading doesn't mean it's true. What you replied is all we can all do on here

Other than that the sticking point is who REALLY knows what the truth is?

Jesus Christ, not trying to pedal bullshit, it was simply what I took from the article and thought it worthy of discussion as in part, it could be a reason behind some of our failings on the pitch that 'potentially' not everyone has been 100% focussed on training etc but instead dealing with other matters that at this time are probably unnecessary. I apologise if my wording comes across that I am bashing and stating facts that aren't, I am not a wordsmith so will not always relay everything correctly. Amazing how many people get their knickers in a twist over a post that was clearly innocuous and was just try to create a conversation based on current failings on the field and trying to work out how the problem can be negated.

sorry for trying to have a voice in the forum.

Pembo in shouldering responsibility shocker. In view of the fact the window is closed and we are in dire straights I simply can't believe some

who

A Wish to identify the coaching as being the problem thus relieving LJ of much of the responsibility of us being crap. 

Or

B blaming LJ of fiddling while our metophorical Rome burns. 

Both A and B are utter bullshit. 

We are shit. LJ is there running it and is responsible. The coaching staff coach at the behest of the head coach who chops and changes for no discernible reason. 

It is that simple in the final analysis. The agendas of both sides here are now ridiculous. 

Myself and every supporter over 50 who remembers the good times and the very very bad just want a team that can compete. That's it!! We can't to a greater extent having spent  xxxxxxx. 

So LJ isn't involved within the coaching? Or pretty much not that involved during training? But instead he scouting for players? Well isn't that what we have scouts for?

So you would question what does LJ actually do? Just pick the team on the day and set-up the tactics? You can sure see where lies the problem if that is the case.

So our management staff is like a decorative cake. Johnson is the cake on the shop window, which in itself does not look great, looks poorly crafted, with odd ingredients mixed together. Pemberton and Holden are the actual ingredients, you take a bite and you were right from your first observation. The cake looks like shit, and taste like shit. 

3 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

So LJ isn't involved within the coaching? Or pretty much not that involved during training? But instead he scouting for players? Well isn't that what we have scouts for?

So you would question what does LJ actually do? Just pick the team on the day and set-up the tactics? You can sure see where lies the problem if that is the case.

So our management staff is like a decorative cake. Johnson is the cake on the shop window, which in itself does not look great, looks poorly crafted, with odd ingredients mixed together. Pemberton and Holden are the actual ingredients, you take a bite and you were right from your first observation. The cake looks like shit, and taste like shit. 

Have you read the "interview"? Who says LJ isn't involved with the coaching? Who says LJ is scouting for players instead? 

5 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

No. It's just some quote the OP has incorrectly separated from its context for some reason.

Read more at http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/john-pemberton-reveals-attempts-have-been-made-to-ease-bristol-city-boss-lee-johnson-s-workload/story-30139240-detail/story.html#mHM1kT1IqtI1DD6h.99 

John Pemberton reveals attempts have been made to ease Bristol City boss Lee Johnson's workload

John Pemberton has revealed how he and fellow assistant coach Dean Holden have tried to ease the workload on Bristol City boss Lee Johnson.

Ever since Holden joined the Ashton Gate staff in the Autumn, he and the long-serving Pemberton have combined their resources and talents in a bid to take some of the pressure off City's young head coach.

Both have taken responsibility for training ground matters at times this season in order to free up valuable time for Johnson to talent spot potential new players and focus on the important matter of recruitment for the first team squad.

"We have a lot of players and there is a lot of work that needs to be done, so we tend to share that workload and responsibility between the two of us," confided Pemberton, who joined City in 2013 and acted as assistant manager to Steve Cotterill in the League One title and Johnstone's Paint Trophy double winning campaign of 2014/15.

"It's important to take a bit off the gaffer, because he cannot be expected to do everything. Dean and I come together and pool our in-put when it comes to what we're going to do in training, especially with regard to set pieces.

"With my background being more defensive, I tend to look at how we set up without the ball. For everything else, we have Dean. We share the load and it seems to work fine.

"If that frees the gaffer up to look after other key areas, then that's a good thing. I think he's handled himself very well and stood up to everything that's been thrown at him."

Archived