IGNORED

Mark Clattenburg

BRISTOL86

Quitting English football to referee in Saudi Arabia

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38993655

Not somewhere I'd want to spend a significant part of my life but can anyone blame him?

With the ridiculous sums that footballers earn at the top level and the amount of flack referees take on their (comparative) pittance why not try and get a slice of it when an opportunity arises. 

Perhaps there will finally be serious steps taken to incentivise new referees and improve the standard down the pyramid if the established ones are going to get lured away. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Not somewhere I'd want to spend a significant part of my life but can anyone blame him?

With the ridiculous sums that footballers earn at the top level and the amount of flack referees take on their (comparative) pittance why not try and get a slice of it when an opportunity arises. 

Perhaps there will finally be serious steps taken to incentivise new referees and improve the standard down the pyramid if the established ones are going to get lured away. 

don't blame him at all,  

• Admin

Agree with the points above, with players earning inflated salaries why not let the other big part of the game get in on the act too

Names have gone from the top of my head but this was discussed on Talksport a few weeks back, as there was a concern many of the top officials were being approached to referee out there

19 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It's a shame to lose a good referee, but no I don't blame him. Refs are under so much pressure now. All they can do is play by the book and then they get personal abuse from players and crowd alike. Hope it works out for him.

20 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Glad he's going.  Gets tattoos of the big games he referees.  Idiot. 

Plenty of people get tattoos to commemorate what they see as significant moments in their lives. 

Who is anyone else to say what he should or shouldn't do in that regard? He was proud of what he'd achieved and why shouldn't he be? 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Especially taken in conjunction with how little they get respected by the 'sportsmen' they're meant to be refereeing. 

If the powers that be were to clamp down hard on the managers and players that seem to abuse  the ref on every game and showed some respect we might get somewhere.sKY dont help by re running every decision and after 3 OR 4 re runs give their grudging approval if the ref got it right.We fans dont help either by abusing every decision that goes against OUR team either!

13 minutes ago, Super said:

Changing subject a bit best and worst ref over the years? Uriah Rennie has to be up there with the worst also that Kettle bloke!!

Collina was amazing. Can you imagine him taking the sort of vitriol that's now ingrained as being acceptable? 

I seem to remember an Indian ref going back many years who was always awful but his name escapes me. Keith Stroud also has to be up there amongst the worst. 

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Not sure he will be spending a significant part of his life there either, I know he said he wants to stay there a for the years to come but I'm sure he will earn enough money in a year then move on somewhere else, just like the person he took over from, Howard Webb. Howard Webb just moved to the Mls to take over introducing video technology into refereeing in America.  

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Plenty of people get tattoos to commemorate what they see as significant moments in their lives. 

Who is anyone else to say what he should or shouldn't do in that regard? He was proud of what he'd achieved and why shouldn't he be? 

Many think the same as me.  Referees shouldn't be noticed, it's not about them. Clattenburg makes it about him.  

I read somewhere that a paper outed him for having a personalised plate on his car as well

Who gives a flying ****? It's not for me, but he's earned his money, he can spend it how he wants. So what if he's got tattoo's, it's up to him

I don't blame him for taking the money, good luck to the bloke

He's a PL ref, hardly affects us anyway

Clattenburg is a fine referee and will be missed. I cannot blame him at all for making a move that will be more beneficial to him financially.

Officials have a tough job and get a ridiculous amount of unfair criticism and abuse from players, pundits and supporters. The comment above about 'referees shouldn't be noticed' sums up a lot of the misguided and out-dated opinions about our officials. How you'd expect officials taking charge of the biggest football matches on the planet, in the biggest competitions, to go unnoticed when they have to make judgements that will face such scrutiny and cause such emotion, beggars belief in my mind.

We wouldn't have the game without these people and they need the respect and help from the authorities and the rest of us to help us continue to improve the standard of officiating, rather than facing abuse because they have a tattoo or personalised number plate, or they've called a decision wrong.

5 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Clattenburg is a fine referee and will be missed. I cannot blame him at all for making a move that will be more beneficial to him financially.

Officials have a tough job and get a ridiculous amount of unfair criticism and abuse from players, pundits and supporters. The comment above about 'referees shouldn't be noticed' sums up a lot of the misguided and out-dated opinions about our officials. How you'd expect officials taking charge of the biggest football matches on the planet, in the biggest competitions, to go unnoticed when they have to make judgements that will face such scrutiny and cause such emotion, beggars belief in my mind.

We wouldn't have the game without these people and they need the respect and help from the authorities and the rest of us to help us continue to improve the standard of officiating, rather than facing abuse because they have a tattoo or personalised number plate, or they've called a decision wrong.

Superb. Couldn't put it better myself.

Archived