IGNORED

Mark Clattenburg

BRISTOL86

6 hours ago, RedDave said:

Glad he's going.  Gets tattoos of the big games he referees.  Idiot. 

No different to people having tattoos with names of their girlfriend/wife or children? Hardly gonna forget their names are they! 

I'm not a fan of that sort of thing but don't think it makes him an idiot. Just the same as millions of other people.

But, loved the story of the geordie who had a huge tattoo done of Andy Cole in his Newcastle kit the day before they sold him to Man Utd - perhaps he was an idiot!

1 hour ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Roger Milford? Excellent ref

Should have sent Gazza off in that 1991 FA Cup Final - he bottled it cos Gazza was so famous and had a serious injury as a result of one of his own fouls....but as much as I love Gazza, he was wired from the moment he walked out the tunnel and committed some terrible fouls before the one that injured himself and nearly ruined his move to Lazio...

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Those of you mentioning the way players speak to refs, have you actually heard the way refs talk to players? As far as I'm concerned respect is a two way thing. some refs have tried to make the game as much about them, I don't know him but Clattenburg strikes me as one of those types of refs.

Well someone close to me is a referee, recently during a game a player ran over to him shouting "****** hell ref it was ****** handball", ref ignores his appeal and tells him to shut up whilst also running to keep up with play. The next  stoppage in play the player runs up to the ref and complains with "you can't tell me to shut up", "why not" was the answer. The player just walked off in a sulk! 

Just what do some players expect or want! 

8 hours ago, RedDave said:

Same as everyone does with every famous person.  You are no different 

I don't believe we have met, and something tells me that I would of remembered if we had.  So I can assure you that pre-judging someone by their portrayal in the national media is something I avoid.

21 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Plenty of people get tattoos to commemorate what they see as significant moments in their lives. 

Who is anyone else to say what he should or shouldn't do in that regard? He was proud of what he'd achieved and why shouldn't he be? 

Agree! Given the ink rubbish that most of the players are covered in, his are fine.  He's a great ref and anyone who criticizes should try the job for a couple of games. You have one split second to call it as you see it and can't go to the TMO like you can in rugby. Yes there are some decisions that are badly wrong, but when you watch replays there are a helluva lot of correct ones which we missed at the time too.

13 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Well someone close to me is a referee, recently during a game a player ran over to him shouting "****** hell ref it was ****** handball", ref ignores his appeal and tells him to shut up whilst also running to keep up with play. The next  stoppage in play the player runs up to the ref and complains with "you can't tell me to shut up", "why not" was the answer. The player just walked off in a sulk! 

Just what do some players expect or want! 

Well like I said, some refs make it about them. I probably should have said "have you heard the way SOME refs talk to players" not all are guilty of course.

No-one gets every call right as a ref, but a simple explanation without an attitude generally goes a long way. You usually find that frustration boils for players after a number of incidents and/or previous games with that ref.

That said, there are a lot of dick heads that will just scream at the ref from start to finish, I understand that and its wrong.

On 16/02/2017 at 19:03, Red Right Hand said:

Funny how you remember refs from way back. Ray Lewis from Great Bookham, Alan Saville (about 4`6"), Clive Thomas, Norman Glover who cheated us out of the cup at Notts County, and many more.

Great BOOK 'eM   :laugh:   Yes i do seem to remember that one

On 2/16/2017 at 22:36, mikep said:

I didn't have much trouble in that respect many years ago. In the supermarket, the Malt Extract was next to the sugar which was conveniently next to the yeast. Hangovers were plentiful. :yawn:

Remember it well, and the lemon gin.

A neighbour of mine used to receive bulk orders of sugar and 'potable' water - never mind about police raids, I was always scared his villa would explode!

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Unless I have missed something, France is France in French as well as English....:blink:.

Haha perhaps it is. I had in mind it is 'Republic Francaise' but I could well be wrong. 

And mentioning old refs, anyone remember two of our best: Pat Partridge and Jack Taylor? The latter reffed the 1974 World Cup Final and just before kickoff he noticed there were no corner flags. He then awarded two penalties in the first few minutes (W Germany beat Holland 2-1 for those who don't have grey bits). Top bloke, and always ready with a hankie to remove mud from players' eyes.

9 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

And mentioning old refs, anyone remember two of our best: Pat Partridge and Jack Taylor? The latter reffed the 1974 World Cup Final and just before kickoff he noticed there were no corner flags. He then awarded two penalties in the first few minutes (W Germany beat Holland 2-1 for those who don't have grey bits). Top bloke, and always ready with a hankie to remove mud from players' eyes.

Pat Partridge, wow that is a blast from the past I'd have never come up with that one but yes

On the subject of the good, the bad and the ugly .. who was that bloke ex public school teacher , right knob never smiled in his life ?  completely forgotten the name.. we're talkking 90s I think

featured in a documentary I think  where he's acting all aloof and stuff  balls, cannot remember the name

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

On the subject of the good, the bad and the ugly .. who was that bloke ex public school teacher , right knob never smiled in his life ?  completely forgotten the name.. we're talkking 90s I think

featured in a documentary I think  where he's acting all aloof and stuff  balls, cannot remember the name

I believe he taught at Harrow.

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I believe he taught at Harrow.

He did and retired from reffing when they went pro as he didn`t want to give up his teaching career.

The funniest bit in that documentary was when he was reffing Chelsea v someone and Babayaro (I think) got into a tangle with an opposition player. Elleray`s lecturing them both when Dennis Wise strolls by and says `Just send the ******* pair of them off ref and let`s get on with the game`!

Archived