IGNORED

50 years of cheering for city

where's the joy

this year i 'celebrate' 50 years of cheering for city having seen my first game down the gate as a 3-3 draw at home to chuffing Hull of all teams, in 1967.

all goals in the first half incidentally.

and i took my 2 sons to see a 1-1 home draw against the gas as their first match complete with pitch invasion after the equaliser in the last minute. they have shared the journey ever since.

i have suffered many lows and some highs like whiteheads winner v portsmouth, gillies and gow at coventry, the anglo scottish win v st.mirren, beating bolton at wembley and then signing their best player mark gavin, semi-finals v crystal palace and selling our worst player nick carle for 1M to them after. watched andy cole's audacious skills, chris garlands bravery and ralph milnes two left feet, admired marina dolman for being the statesman that each club needs and watched pigs fighting wolves in the battle of the mascots. watched tinman fall over as he scored at anfield, gordon parrs two own goals in one game; been spat at by west ham fans after we had lost 5-0 and watched behind a pack of feral millwall fans as they roasted a pub and attacked a supporters coach, then set fire to a policeman inside the ground.

hung from the rafters twice at bradford city once in the league cup in a scabby 1-0 theft of a win and a best night of my life 6-0 romp to win the top spot two years ago,  joined in 'his first names evander his last name is sno', at a really dull 0-0 at swansea and now in this anniversary year i hold onto my memories of 2 games early in the season when i went to both games at fulham, the penalty save by lucic to get a 2-1 win and then 40 minutes of bobby reid turning up for once in a 4-0 thumping and that goal by tomlin.

since then its been 1-0 losses v newcastle, away to QPR, we were awful, derby at home 1-1, we were awful, rotherham home and away and leeds away etc and i find myself praying for something to snap.......

either our defence into clean sheet heaven or matty taylor's hat tricks to come or lee johnson somehow catching a break cos right now he couldn't catch a cold. i don't want him gone, i just want him to get lucky

COYR

27 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

this year i 'celebrate' 50 years of cheering for city having seen my first game down the gate as a 3-3 draw at home to chuffing Hull of all teams, in 1967.

and i took my 2 sons to see a 1-1 home draw against the gas as their first match complete with pitch invasion after the equaliser in the last minute. they have shared the journey ever since.

i have suffered many lows and some highs like whiteheads winner v portsmouth, gillies and gow at coventry, the anglo scottish win v st.mirren, beating bolton at wembley and then signing their best player mark gavin, semi-finals v crystal palace and selling our worst player nick carle for 1M to them after. watched andy cole's audacious skills, chris garlands bravery and ralph milnes two left feet, admired marina dolman for being the statesman that each club needs and watched pigs fighting wolves in the battle of the mascots. watched tinman fall over as he scored at anfield, gordon parrs two own goals in one game; been spat at by west ham fans after we had lost 5-0 and watched behind a pack of feral millwall fans as they roasted a pub and attacked a supporters coach, then set fire to a policeman inside the ground.

hung from the rafters twice at bradford city once in the league cup in a scabby 1-0 theft of a win and a best night of my life 6-0 romp to win the top spot two years ago,  joined in 'his first names evander his last name is sno', at a really dull 0-0 at swansea and now in this anniversary year i hold onto my memories of 2 games early in the season when i went to both games at fulham, the penalty save by lucic to get a 2-1 win and then 40 minutes of bobby reid turning up for once in a 4-0 thumping and that goal by tomlin.

since then its been 1-0 losses v newcastle, away to QPR, we were awful, derby at home 1-1, we were awful, rotherham home and away and leeds away etc and i find myself praying for something to snap.......

either our defence into clean sheet heaven or matty taylor's hat tricks to come or lee johnson somehow catching a break cos right now he couldn't catch a cold. i don't want him gone, i just want him to get lucky

COYR

We lost to Newcastle and drew with Derby before thumping Fulham 4-0...

I think 67 must have been a bumper year for new supporters as I was taken to my first games in 67, my abiding memories of that time were Gordon parr always passing back to our goalkeeper, I don't think he ever did a forward pass! and alan skirton flying down the wing right on the touchline and the roar from the crowd as he went past the fullback and here we are fifty years later, I wonder how many ten year olds will be able to say that that go today? 

Started going on my own at about eight years old, would of been around 1964. Imagine that happening today. Remember getting to the ground at about 12.30  and gathering outside the open end turnstiles with numerous other kids to chat and look at football mags etc. None of them were from my neck if the woods. Some 40 years latter i was telling this to a fellow red who i worked with at the time, yes you got it he was one of those kids. Johney Quigley, Chris Crowe, Jack Conner, Gibbo, Jansen wheres your handbag Derrek to name just few, they are my never to be forgotton heros of that era. Bet i wont  remember the current bunch with such affection.

22 hours ago, where's the joy said:

COYR

"The past is a foreign country-they do things differently"....

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

50 years for me too

March 25th 1967 vs. Birmingham City 3-1 to us. Shame the actual day will be an international break weekend.

50 years ago this weekend we lost 2-0 to Spurs in the FA Cup 5th Round; Chris Crowe missed a pen which had to be retaken and that was missed too!!!

Yep, I was at White Hart Lane that day, aged 11, Jimmy Greaves scored both their goals. Not sure how old I was when I made my first visit to AG but guess I would have been 4 or 5 so I've clocked up about 55 years of being a City fan. As the saying goes Bristol City made my day (occasionally) but ruined my life.

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

50 years for me too

50 years ago this weekend we lost 2-0 to Spurs in the FA Cup 5th Round; Chris Crowe missed a pen which had to be retaken and that was missed too!!!

I was in the crowd behind the goal when the penalties were taken. This was in the days when as many people as possible could be squeezed in regardless of safety. When the first penalty was taken I was moved about 20 yards to my left by the crowd, leaving my friends behind. After the second penalty the crowd moved to the right and I, somehow, was standing next to them. Thank goodness we have much better safety now. If you lost your footing when a big crowd moved in those days anything could happen to you  

Despite the result it was a good day out as City organised a special train that ran from Temple Meads to a local station by White Hart Lane. It's a pity that we can't have train trips today. The one thing that sticks in my mind is a programme seller swindled me out of sixpence change when I bought a programme!

My first match was 1960, so I've had a few years of cheering City, but  just as many groans and swear words. 

7 hours ago, where's the joy said:

ah alan skirton with his elvis presley hair and thunderous thighs. gibbo in goal with dickie rooks at centre back and the impossibly named jantzen derrick as a wing back playing all in red. the smell of woodbine and bovril 

standing in the east end now miraculously retitled the south stand. 

Did they have wing backs in those days ? Woodbine and liniment. You've brought a tear to my eye now.

Saw first game away at Torquay where we were on holiday 1950, with father and grandfather, who saw his first game in 19th century.  As a child knew two people who saw City in Cup Final, my grandfather one of them. Both said we were unlucky to lose, a mistake by Wedlock of all people led to United 's one goal

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Saw first game away at Torquay where we were on holiday 1950, with father and grandfather, who saw his first game in 19th century.  As a child knew two people who saw City in Cup Final, my grandfather one of them. Both said we were unlucky to lose, a mistake by Wedlock of all people led to United 's one goal

That's interesting that you have a link to someone who saw a game in the 19th century. The game must have been so much different, even the markings of the pitch were different than they are today. It would be interesting to read any first hand accounts from people that attended our only cup final appearance. I don't know if any exist. 

13 hours ago, Kim_il_sung said:

Does anyone have family members that watched us waaay back? My grandfather died before I was born but he went to games during our original top flight spell prior to world war 1.. He was drinking buddies with Fred Ford at one point too!

My grandfather first went in the 30s and carried on going till the 90s, he died on day of the walsall 8-2 game so he managed to get the best seats possible in the sky

8 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

That's interesting that you have a link to someone who saw a game in the 19th century. The game must have been so much different, even the markings of the pitch were different than they are today. It would be interesting to read any first hand accounts from people that attended our only cup final appearance. I don't know if any exist. 

Glad you found it interesting and given your user name thought you might be interested to know my grandfather was Kingswood born and bred 

Archived