IGNORED

Not getting relegated, relax!

DT The Optimist

I post this with my 'helmet on'.  I am not impressed with the losing run that plonked us down the wrong end but I am not concerned really we will finish in bottom three.  A few facts to shoot at me with!

The 'myth' you need 50 points to be safe. Not the case.  I quote the last three seasons as facts

• 2013/4 season.Team 3rd from bottom, was Doncaster with 44 points.  Above them in 21st spot were Birmingham on 44 as well. (safe). (Oh yes Leicester City got promoted and  look what followed.......)
  • 2014/5 season. Team 3rd from bottom was Millwall with 41 points, on  46 points and above them in 21st spot were again the Millers.
  • 2015/6 season. Team 3rd from bottom was Charlton on 40 points. The Millers were again 21st spot with 49 points. 

We have 32 points now, a far better GD at present, and 15 games left.  On the last three seasons stats we need 13 points to be safe from 15 games !  Come on, even the most doom and gloom merchants who lurk here would not bet on us getting that ! Or would you !

We have 4 crunch 6 pointer games to play. Blackburn and Wigan away, Burton and QPR home.  

We have also added some really good additions in the transfer window which I will not go over, but I still fancy us against any of those 4 teams.

I am not a LJ 'out' or 'in' camp I and will give him the last transfer window. Give him the three windows as always eluded to. (provided my prophecy of not getting relegated is correct).  So, a relaxing final third of the season.  ;)

Not sure it will be a relaxing final 3rd but I do think we will scrape survival. This is based more on the fact that there are 3 worse sides than us rather than a positive surge in form. Whatever happens we have moved backwards on the pitch from where we were at the end of last season

2 minutes ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Not sure it will be a relaxing final 3rd but I do think we will scrape survival. This is based more on the fact that there are 3 worse sides than us rather than a positive surge in form. Whatever happens we have moved backwards on the pitch from where we were at the end of last season

Are Wigan worse than us? I hope so but form suggests otherwise!

3 minutes ago, ploppy said:

Are Wigan worse than us? I hope so but form suggests otherwise!

Not sure about Wigan but I think Burton (based on their away record) are just slightly worse. Like I said I think we will just scrape survival...probably by default.

6 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Even scraping survival above Burton would be a pathetic outcome and show that, despite millions to spend Johnson has not progressed the club at all.

At the risk of drawing some criticism......I find it hard to say we haven't improved.....yea we've lost a lot of games but not by more than one goal.....we haven't seen the trouncings we had last season.......now the losses seemingly have slowed......we can but hope that the team build on rock bottom......using it as a firm foundation for great things......unfortunately only time will tell. 

15 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Is that what we're doing now scabbing relegation every year. Survival is still a failure. 

You are spot on Wolf.  SL must be having a 'discussion' at the appropriate time about what has gone on, however the post was that perhaps we only need 12 points from 15 games to stay and avoid the bottom 3 positions (as per history)  Of course, this might be a different year !  

If we are not competent or capable of that then we do deserve to be in this league, in anyway shape or form.  However, the transfer window for us, has been huge.  Taylor will score goals, Hegeler is pure quality, Wright is good, and a new keeper.  Its like the spine of the side has been strengthened  and improved. The side cannot go backwards anymore, can it ?:facepalm:

45 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

On your calculations we need 0.86666 points per game for safety. 

Over the last 17 games we've achieved 0.47 ppg. 

Hmmmmmm. It's far from comfortable. 

Over the last four games we have achieved 1.25 points per game. I know a much smaller sample size but it's also relevant that we changed nearly half our first team in January. Fingers crossed it's green shoots and we can just about do it.

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

I post this with my 'helmet on'.  I am not impressed with the losing run that plonked us down the wrong end but I am not concerned really we will finish in bottom three.  A few facts to shoot at me with!

The 'myth' you need 50 points to be safe. Not the case.  I quote the last three seasons as facts

• 2013/4 season.Team 3rd from bottom, was Doncaster with 44 points.  Above them in 21st spot were Birmingham on 44 as well. (safe). (Oh yes Leicester City got promoted and  look what followed.......)
  • 2014/5 season. Team 3rd from bottom was Millwall with 41 points, on  46 points and above them in 21st spot were again the Millers.
  • 2015/6 season. Team 3rd from bottom was Charlton on 40 points. The Millers were again 21st spot with 49 points. 

We have 32 points now, a far better GD at present, and 15 games left.  On the last three seasons stats we need 13 points to be safe from 15 games !  Come on, even the most doom and gloom merchants who lurk here would not bet on us getting that ! Or would you !

We have 4 crunch 6 pointer games to play. Blackburn and Wigan away, Burton and QPR home.  

We have also added some really good additions in the transfer window which I will not go over, but I still fancy us against any of those 4 teams.

I am not a LJ 'out' or 'in' camp I and will give him the last transfer window. Give him the three windows as always eluded to. (provided my prophecy of not getting relegated is correct).  So, a relaxing final third of the season.  ;)

It's a naive comparison. How many points were these teams on after this number of games?  If you don't know that then comparisons are pointless 

The table at this point(ish) last season:

Pos   Team                           Played        GD            Points

19      Blackburne                 30              +1               34

20      Bristol C                      32              -19             34

21      MK                              32              -19              31

22      Rotherham                  32             -21               26

23      Bolton                         32              -22              25

24      Charlton                      32              -33              25

2 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

I'd like to make a pithy comment but can't be assed.  I'll just say 'bollox' instead.

8 minutes ago, RichardEdd said:

The table at this point(ish) last season:

Pos   Team                           Played        GD            Points

19      Blackburne                 30              +1               34

20      Bristol C                      32              -19             34

21      MK                              32              -19              31

22      Rotherham                  32             -21               26

23      Bolton                         32              -22              25

24      Charlton                      32              -33              25

The difference between goal differences and the comparative lack of difference between our points totals is astounding.

27 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

Ah yes, great thread............Burton and QPR winning, Wigan holding Preston.

I despair sometimes, people just can't see the precarious position we're in.

All this 'three teams worse than us' rubbish, I count one, that being Rotherham.

Yep.

Recent form from Blackburn, Wigan and Burton doesn't suggest they are that much worse than us, and results today could leave us level on points with the relegation zone - last year at this time we were five points clear.

19 minutes ago, RedDave said:

It's a naive comparison. How many points were these teams on after this number of games?  If you don't know that then comparisons are pointless 

As mentioned above; the dogfight is tighter than at this time last year, and our form from this point forward was blistering - no evidence we're prepared to go on a similar run.

We're in serious trouble; can't understand why people are hiding behind this myth others are much worse - they aren't.

We have lots of posts on this subject, all I can say is that if it was always so predictable, then Sky bet/William hill etc would be bankrupt, and I would be a billionaire!!

Good balance. Agree we ain't going down.

If we're looking at form tables and previous seasons points tally's to justify our resistance to relegation then that's very telling isn't it?

The only form table that matters is the league table. Over the course of the season to date, we're the 20th best team out of 24, which cannot be argued.

With the exception of Rotherham, who look dead and buried, as far up as Brentford in 15th, only 5 points separate us. That gives some reason for optimism if we can string something together, but our form is nothing short of woeful.

It's a very similar pattern to last seasons table where only 6 points separated Rotherham scraping survival in 21st with 49pts to Blackburn in 15th. We finished 18th with 52.

I'd snap your hand off for that now, which is justified reflection on what has been an abysmal season. 

2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Is that what we're doing now scabbing relegation every year. Survival is still a failure. 

and pretty tedious considering the investment.

I cling, rightly or wrongly, to the belief that when this group of players actually 'click' then we've got a pretty good team. Although when is becoming finite.

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

and pretty tedious considering the investment.

I cling, rightly or wrongly, to the belief that when this group of players actually 'click' then we've got a pretty good team. Although when is becoming finite.

How long till the click and gelling happens? 

We have capable players definitely, but they don't seem to produce as a unit. So I understand what you mean I just hope they click from Wednesday! 

Fingers crossed and all that 

Archived