IGNORED

Defunct Bristol Cinemas ... memories.

WhistleHappy

Bristol used to boast so many cinemas back in the day ....( before most became bingo halls, pubs, blocks of flats etc.)

Almost every area, if not all, had at least one local cinema ...  can you remember which cinema you watched your first film in?.. and what was it?

Lets see how many old cinemas we can remember.. their names, locations, and memories of experiences etc...

My first film/cinema that I remember was Bambi in The Gaumont Cinema, Baldwin Street with mum and dad (so long ago I can remember a ships horn sounding in the docks as we come out.. and it making me jump! :laugh:) ..

so the list:

BRISTOLS OLD CINEMAS .

Gaumont ...... Baldwin St.  (Bambi)

The Globe......Lawrence Hill (A Stitch In Time - Norman Wisdom)

Keynsham had the a run down flea-pit on Charlton Road, imaginatively called The Charlton.

Remains the only cinema I have ever got thrown out of, for persistent talking and general mucking about during a double header of "Every Which Way But Loose" and "Any Which Way You Can".

Also remember my mum sneaking me in, underage, to watch AA rated Secret Policeman's Ball. Well, sneaking is the wrong term: she told the ticket man how old I was, and he replied something on the lines of "well, there's nothing he hasn't already heard" and waved us through.charlton.jpg.a135dc66b229d420f54b6375ec0d2cef.jpg

3 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Keynsham had the a run down flea-pit on Charlton Road, imaginatively called The Charlton.

Remains the only cinema I have ever got thrown out of, for persistent talking and general mucking about during a double header of "Every Which Way But Loose" and "Any Which Way You Can".

Also remember my mum sneaking me in, underage, to watch AA rated Secret Policeman's Ball. Well, sneaking is the wrong term: she told the ticket man how old I was, and he replied something on the lines of "well, there's nothing he hasn't already heard" and waved us through.charlton.jpg.a135dc66b229d420f54b6375ec0d2cef.jpg

Went to the old Charlton Fleapit quite a lot in school/youth days...( luckily we never got chucked out by them Keynsham fleas, they were pretty tough though as you found out ..:laugh: :) ) ... saw a few Bond films there among others and remember one time the screen looked brilliant for a few seconds, all psychedelic colours and weird shapes, thought it was part of a film until it became clear the film had got jammed in the projector and had caught fire! to the amusement and cheers of everyone watching.. :laugh: ..those were the days.

I saw Return of the Jedi at the Charlton in Keynsham. That brings back some memories.

I couldn't get in to see a film at the Odeon, Frogmore street once because I only had enough money for a childs ticket and the manager refused to accept I was under 16. (I think I was 14 at the time). I went home and told my mum and she rang the cinema and gave them a right ear bashing. Now I think about it, we should have gone to the BEP and had one of those 'young lad looking sad and pointing photo's' 

Missed a trick there.

7 hours ago, Fiale said:

Gaiety Cinema, Wells Road, Knowle, Bristol

Saw Star wars here with my dad, first ever experience of the BIG screen.

Only ever went twice before it shut. First was Aladdin with a few friends at a kids party. Was about 7. Second time was when I was 9 and it was The Flintstones. Both film choices are in need of a :facepalm:

Funnily enough, I don't watch many films nowadays... :blink:

7 hours ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

How many of these did the Luftwaffe have?

tfj

The Hippodrome/Stoll in Cannon Street, Bemmy, was a victim of the blitz.

Originally a theatre showing live acts it was designed by Bertie Crew in 1911, but taken over by Mr Oswald Stoll and converted into the Stoll Picture Theatre in May, 1915. It still occasionally held live shows too. However, the raid of 3rd January 1941 destroyed the roof and the building was demolished after the end of hostilities.

Don't forget the Rex just around the corner in North Street. It actually opened on 9th December, 1940, and was bombed badly on the Good Friday raid of 1941; seats were found on the rooftops of nearby houses. The damage put it out of action for four months, but the Rex reopened and carried on showing reels until 1980. It then became the Gala bingo hall, but finally shut the doors in 2008. It too is a memory now.

9 hours ago, Erithacus said:

The Hippodrome/Stoll in Cannon Street, Bemmy, was a victim of the blitz.

Originally a theatre showing live acts it was designed by Bertie Crew in 1911, but taken over by Mr Oswald Stoll and converted into the Stoll Picture Theatre in May, 1915. It still occasionally held live shows too. However, the raid of 3rd January 1941 destroyed the roof and the building was demolished after the end of hostilities.

Don't forget the Rex just around the corner in North Street. It actually opened on 9th December, 1940, and was bombed badly on the Good Friday raid of 1941; seats were found on the rooftops of nearby houses. The damage put it out of action for four months, but the Rex reopened and carried on showing reels until 1980. It then became the Gala bingo hall, but finally shut the doors in 2008. It too is a memory now.

large.jpg?1440969369

3511416.png

Forgive my naivety, but what is now the O2 Academy on Frogmore Street (underneath where the Ice Rink was) was once a cinema, just can't remember the name. I remember the old man just blagging his way to get me in to see Loch Ness and Braveheart there back in the day when I was too young. Great times and happy memories.

25 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Forgive my naivety, but what is now the O2 Academy on Frogmore Street (underneath where the Ice Rink was) was once a cinema, just can't remember the name. I remember the old man just blagging his way to get me in to see Loch Ness and Braveheart there back in the day when I was too young. Great times and happy memories.

Been a long, long time since I went to the New Bristol Centre, but isn't the O2 the old Locarno/Studio night club?

Must admit, I don't recall a cinema in there.  Then again, the cinema might have been knocked down to make way for said NBC.

4 hours ago, Fiale said:

large.jpg?1440969369

3511416.png

I got in here but left it far too late. It used to have a ruddy loud alarm back in 2008/9.

I did snap a few of the Plaza opposite the TF before conversion.. there wasn't much left though - http://www.whateversleft.co.uk/leisure/ashton-plaza-cinema

Some friends have done the Broadway in last few years.. sorry state that is in: https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/the-broadway-cinema-bristol-sep-2015.t99275

Best selectino you'll find is Paul Townsend's colleciton on Flickr (like everything else Bristol related..)

some

1 hour ago, SARJ said:

ABC New Bristol Centre, Frogmore Street, Bristol

There were several cinemas in the castle park area in the old days. The Regent was a lavish old heap backing onto the river but was gutted after the 1940 raid. Also seem to remember a cinema at the end of Lower Penn Street/Castle Street (the Europa - near the Marriott now) back in the day, used to show all sorts of dodgy movies.

Have a look also at Frey Bentos' catalogue of old fleapits now gone:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fray_bentos/sets/72157594318521438/

18 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

There were several cinemas in the castle park area in the old days. The Regent was a lavish old heap backing onto the river but was gutted after the 1940 raid. Also seem to remember a cinema at the end of Lower Penn Street/Castle Street (the Europa - near the Marriott now) back in the day, used to show all sorts of dodgy movies.

Have a look also at Frey Bentos' catalogue of old fleapits now gone:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fray_bentos/sets/72157594318521438/

I bet there is still remains of the Cinema in the Gaumount despite it being chopped about over the years.

Ah, the Gaumont! I saw the Battle of Britain there (must have been very late 60s). Of course, the fact that we call it the Gaumont discloses the facts. Ask a person and their reply will give an indication about their age. We knew it as the Gaumont cinema until 1980; others might recall it as Busby's, Ritzy, Creation or the Sports Cafe. Or just another old eyesore that is left for squatters to drool over now. Did anyone go to the Wednesday's Separates and Desperates nights?

Is the ABC  Cinema on Whiteladie's Road still open ? 

Used to go there with my cousin for the Saturday mornings ABC minors club .

A few of the kids would pay to get in then open the fire exits to let their mates in . We didn't have much money in those days.

There was always two films and some cartoons .

The kids all came alone , no adults in sight . Can you imagine that today ? 

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

A few of the kids would pay to get in then open the fire exits to let their mates in . We didn't have much money in those days.

I think it reopened last year and Everyman are operating it now. No idea how long it was closed for though.

17 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

You wouldn't  recognise the old place Major.... haven't been to the 'new Whiteladies' yet, hear its a bit expensive, but it looks a bit plush too ... :) 

Everyman-Cinema-Bristol-exterior.jpg 

32665470.JPG 

Take a pew..  eyes down for a full house, (NOT!!  ..thank gawd!  :) )

Archived