IGNORED

Defunct Bristol Cinemas ... memories.

WhistleHappy

On 01/03/2017 at 07:49, Major Isewater said:

Is the ABC  Cinema on Whiteladie's Road still open ? 

Used to go there with my cousin for the Saturday mornings ABC minors club .

A few of the kids would pay to get in then open the fire exits to let their mates in . We didn't have much money in those days.

There was always two films and some cartoons .

The kids all came alone , no adults in sight . Can you imagine that today ? 

It's an everyman cinema as previously mentioned. Few locals wanted to convert it back to a single screen originality type place but in end it got through as a 2-3 screen/mixed residential conversion. Not ideal but was nice to see it back in use.  It was pretty gutted inside when last was in there about 2-3 years ago. Saw Jurrasic Park first time around in there I think.

On 22/02/2017 at 23:18, Erithacus said:

Ah, the Gaumont! I saw the Battle of Britain there (must have been very late 60s). Of course, the fact that we call it the Gaumont discloses the facts. Ask a person and their reply will give an indication about their age. We knew it as the Gaumont cinema until 1980; others might recall it as Busby's, Ritzy, Creation or the Sports Cafe. Or just another old eyesore that is left for squatters to drool over now. Did anyone go to the Wednesday's Separates and Desperates nights?

I remember a few of us sneaking into the Gaumont to watch Twins of Evil and Hands of the Ripper

On 22/02/2017 at 13:39, SARJ said:

Forgive my naivety, but what is now the O2 Academy on Frogmore Street (underneath where the Ice Rink was) was once a cinema, just can't remember the name. I remember the old man just blagging his way to get me in to see Loch Ness and Braveheart there back in the day when I was too young. Great times and happy memories.

It was the ABC. Think I saw ET there in 1982

Good to see my local "cinema", commonly known as the Bug House, The Broadway has got a mention. Also Len Munden put on boxing promotions as a replacement for the Colston Hall at times and the highlight of P J Proby and I do believe the Rolling Stones appeared there just prior to their hey days.

One other I remember was the News Theatre in Castle Street close to the original Bear Rugged Staff. Would go down and play in the bombed out building along Castle Street and then spend hours in the News Theatre watching Pathe News and cartoons.

The Gaiety was my local as a child, saw a few of the Herbie films as a Saturday morning double bill I remember. Remember seeing ET at Whiteladies Road, absolutely packed even though it had been out for a couple of weeks as it was the film to see at that moment.

There have been a few mentions of cinemas I had no idea existed. 

On 3/2/2017 at 12:51, Honiton Tony said:

Before we moved away in the late 60s we would go to a cinema in Staple hill . Saturday morning kids club [ usually a cow boy film ] ..... Happy days  

The Regal, so you must have gone to the Vandyke (Fishponds) ?

His Maj (later Concord,) Eastvile  Saw a lot of er.... foreign films there !

Archived