IGNORED

Piegate

Jerseybean

27 minutes ago, RedM said:

That's what's confused me too, unless he does it regularly at matches. But then offering odds of 8-1 would seem well generous I would think. So making him aware of these odds gives him the opportunity to affect the outcome, and therefore make some people,if not himself,easy money. But why would a bookmaker do this, it's them that are paying out, publicity? (I'm not a betting person so apologies if this isn't how it works). 

No it couldn't affect the match in anyway, but I guess it's to stop other bets being made in future. Eg an unused sub could be 'encouraged' to kick a water bottle in temper or something. These bets are really stupid and should be removed.

A role for Engvali at last!

41 minutes ago, RedM said:

That's what's confused me too, unless he does it regularly at matches. But then offering odds of 8-1 would seem well generous I would think. So making him aware of these odds gives him the opportunity to affect the outcome, and therefore make some people,if not himself,easy money. But why would a bookmaker do this, it's them that are paying out, publicity? (I'm not a betting person so apologies if this isn't how it works). 

No it couldn't affect the match in anyway, but I guess it's to stop other bets being made in future. Eg an unused sub could be 'encouraged' to kick a water bottle in temper or something. These bets are really stupid and should be removed.

MASSIVE International Publicity and all for the price of a couple of grand lost. To get their name and brand disected/viewed all around the world is advertising they simply can't buy. It's the national disgrace that is the Sun that instigated this as well as sponsoring them last night. Surely that's no surprise!!

12 minutes ago, RaspberryRed said:

MASSIVE International Publicity and all for the price of a couple of grand lost. To get their name and brand disected/viewed all around the world is advertising they simply can't buy. It's the national disgrace that is the Sun that instigated this as well as sponsoring them last night. Surely that's no surprise!!

That can be the only reason can't it. I did cringe a bit when I saw the team run out with Sun Bets or whatever it was plastered on their shirts instead of their usual sponsors ( obviously I don't know who their usual sponsors are but felt a bit gutted that some local scaffolders or someone lost out to the Sun because of the money they offered). I bet Sutton are gutted now, dragged into all this, used by the Scum and lost a valued employee as I doubt if their name wasn't on the shirts the bet would never have been in place.

33 minutes ago, RedM said:

That can be the only reason can't it. I did cringe a bit when I saw the team run out with Sun Bets or whatever it was plastered on their shirts instead of their usual sponsors ( obviously I don't know who their usual sponsors are but felt a bit gutted that some local scaffolders or someone lost out to the Sun because of the money they offered). I bet Sutton are gutted now, dragged into all this, used by the Scum and lost a valued employee as I doubt if their name wasn't on the shirts the bet would never have been in place.

It's a huge publicity stunt and it worked. It's funny people think Shaw got one over the betting companies. Oh no, he was their puppet.

Stand Sun Bets out from the crowd by doing a stupid bet about a pie.

BBC then cover the incident on TV in great detail. They spoke about the keeper before the game and then director chose to show him, what 2 or 3 times eating the pie? Plus replays? What's that got to do with a football match? Nothing, so the BBC look suspiciously in on it too.

Claim (more publicity?) they've paid out a 5 figure sum.....ooh a 5 figure, that's a big amount everyone thinks, they must do good odds!

Lots of press and publicity - (again most people read about it on the BBC website...huh)

It's a crowded market and if you had to google an online betting company right now, you'd probably google Sun Bets because it's on the tip of the tongue and people will be intrigued what other kind of random bets they may offer.

Next weekend Sun Bets makes far far more than what they paid out in bets over the pie. Short term loss....long term gain.

14 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just thinking that the "powers that be" are hauling him up for influencing the bet as he knew about the 8 to 1 odds

Surely if he DIDN'T eat the pie, but knew about the odds he could have been influencing the betting too?

I guess in that situation the betting company would have pocketed all the money, assuming anyone would have put money on, but why would they if he knew he wasn't going to eat a pie he wouldn't have told his mates to bet would he! The BBC would never have filmed him not eating a pie, no news there.

I guess it could have gone wrong as he might have been aware and got his mates to bet their weeks wages only for the other keeper to have picked up an injury and had to come off, he would have to have come on knowing he couldn't eat a pie in order for the bet to be paid out!

17 hours ago, SARJ said:

Am I the only one who feels sorry for the bloke?

He didn't bet on himself and of course he was going to tell his mates. Similar to when William Hill offered bets on Brazil to play in yellow at the world cup, of course people like David Luiz and Oscar informed others.

Bloke wanted his 15 mins of fame and to get his club press coverage. Job done. Gives his all for the club, including running the 3G pitch rentals during the week and sleeping in the club house Mon-Weds. Blokes like this, at these non-league clubs, often go unappreciated or unnoticed their entire lives. Has a chance to make some money and gain the club some limelight, so did it.

Let's remember that The Sun aren't blameless here either. This whole gimmick betting stuff is getting ridiculous and should be stopped. They were always going to get shafted one day. You can even bet on WWE Wrestlemania now, which has been scripted months in advance ffs. 

it was a stupid thing to do, if he was a pro I wouldn't feel sorry for him but he's a part time footballer so I do have a degree of sympathy for him  

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

it was a stupid thing to do, if he was a pro I wouldn't feel sorry for him but he's a part time footballer so I do have a degree of sympathy for him  

Absolutely. He's been the Scums Jester and has lost a job at a club he loves and vice versa

4 hours ago, RedM said:

It's overshadowed everything good that came out of the game.

How many column inches have Arsenal had for all of great proposals for example. Dropping their fee for the gate receipts, the fact they are going to provide educational facilities et cetera et cetera.

It's a real shame that all this nonsense has sullied what was a great night for the club. Ultimately the SCUM have done what they always do and that is exploit, they've exploited someone who is obviously a larger-than-life character at Sutton FC and prayed on the fact that he could gain them worldwide exposure with him as their puppet.

But hey let's not be surprised in the slightest as were talking about the ilk who hack dead girls phones and then there's Hillsborough but let's not get started 

13 hours ago, pride of the west said:

I'm pretty sure the bet was limited to 10 quid for new online punters only. I knew a couple of people who done it because it was an easy way to win 20 quid. 

I have no idea where David Luiz comes into it though. I'm sure he ain't bothered about the chance to win 20 quid

Limited to a £5 and Sunbets being the only firm laying bets on that eventuality. Utter madness :grr:

On 22/02/2017 at 13:59, Betty Swallocks said:

This whole episode leaves a sour taste in the mouth, much like the pies down the City used to. 

I think it's a shame that this stupidity has overshadowed a valiant game by a good side. Can't believe that this fat, unhealthy looking bloke is their reserve goalie!!! Apart from filling the goal mouth (and his own) I can't imagine him making many saves!!

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 01:19, WhistleHappy said:

I think you underestimate the gravity of the situation, I imagine this will be investigated at the highest level.. it'll go to the very top ... all the way to the Pieminister who will no doubt be taking great interest in Mr Shaw.

Reckon Mr Shaw may not have FAcupped too badly on a personal level after all.

If I was a pie seller I'd be promoting a bogof two for one offer  ... Buy One Get One For FA !

Surely that should be the gravy of the situation?

Archived