IGNORED

Adam Matthews

42 minutes ago, Jacki said:

He was absolutely disgraceful tonight. Abysmal. I thought Little was bad but at least he tries. 

Little always gives 100% as he's a trier but maybe not Championship class but that's not his fault; just the way it is.

Top bloke & infectious personality whereas AM is the complete opposite- a mercenary bell end.

10 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Vyner. Start him at Newcastle, I don't give a shit what you all think of my admiration for young Zak but he has to start saturday.

I agree. FFS I'd stick McCoulsky or Engvall in as well alongside Djuric. Taylor was poor tonight (hamstring injury or not). We saw a kid of 16 play well against us but want to buy players of 18-23 for the under 23's? Old enough good enough.

In some fairness to matthews I think it was giefer who first gave him the ball with two fulham players lurking, he gives it to cotterill  who gave it straight back to him in a very pressured position, he/cotterill should have just put a boot through it, so i dont think he has sole blame for the goal.

2 minutes ago, tts_city said:

In some fairness to matthews I think it was giefer who first gave him the ball with two fulham players lurking, he gives it to cotterill  who gave it straight back to him in a very pressured position, he/cotterill should have just put a boot through it, so i dont think he has sole blame for the goal.

Me neither, but that was the cherry on the icing on the cake. He was effing crap far before that. DC basically single handedly attacked and defended our right. If I carry on I'll probably sound like he impregnated my wife: luckily you'll all know he's probably too lazy for sex in any case so that can't be it. 

1 minute ago, tts_city said:

Since getting home I did watch it back on sky sports highlights and you are correct. It wasn't just AM that was culpable. But once again this all goes to prove that LJ has no idea - he subbed him and will no doubt will bung him with the kids. Personally I' rather never see him play again but that is more to do with attitude and application rather than "talent".

Just now, Nomad said:

Since getting home I did watch it back on sky sports highlights and you are correct. It wasn't just AM that was culpable. But once again this all goes to prove that LJ has no idea - he subbed him and will no doubt will bung him with the kids. Personally I' rather never see him play again but that is more to do with attitude and application rather than "talent".

AM wasn't just bad for that. He was a disgrace well before that incident. 

3 minutes ago, Nomad said:

just watched it back myself, one of the softest goals you will ever see, im so ******* depressed, surely he will be gone by tomorrow ? 

57 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

He wasn't great but first half not the worst on the pitch - let's not scapegoat the right back when the midfield was just not interested

I thought he was okay 1st half....but I think he may have played his last 55 minutes for the club.

10 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Every game right now is one you'd want to spare him from.

Honestly I think LJ has to shake things up. Magnusson, Vyner, ODowda, Reid and Tomlin all need to play. In order to get this energy and desire the team so clearly need I feel he must play players that have to perform in order to break into the team.

I'm with you on all of them except Tomlin. I'm about as done with him as the OP is with Matthews. I cringed when the fans sang his name and applauded him when he came on. He's had about 1 decent performance in about 20. He came on tonight and did exactly what I thought he would, nothing. 

Anyway, I don't want to go too off topic. Thought Reid lacked in quality but was willing to close people down. Watched him chase down 3 Fulham players as they each passed around Joe Bryan as he pretty much watched. He tried to push us forward and tried to shoot. Probably the only player I've seen not be effected by our negative style. Brownhill for as good as he's been, is just far too safe. No risk in his game and he doesn't bring enough defensively for me to keep starting him. Won't get forward, doesn't pass forward and won't really go full on in a tackle. He safe safe safe which is fine but once we go a goal down he's lost. He's developed a lot since he got here but he has mastered no one thing yet. 

Back to Joe. He was about as disinterested as I've ever seen a player. Had a little spark when he was moved central for a bit but on the wing, didn't get out of half speed once. Won't try to run in behind and didn't sprint back when Fredericks(glad he didn't start) got in time after time. When Joe finally does well it comes to the cross. I told someone sat in front of me, that's why we don't cross. He is a woeful crosser. COD should've never lost that spot to begin with and should start from here on out. He's positive, he's quick and he wins dangerous free kicks. Final product? Name me a city player with one. 

Magnusson for Flint. Done with Flint as well. He tries but he's too nice and just not a good enough footballer. Happy to let people receive the ball to feet. Doesn't go through anyone or kick them in the back of the legs. I don't mean it in a dirty way either. Just look at Bailey Wright. Doesn't let player settled with the ball. Gets into them, pushes them and kicks them. More times than not, play goes on and every once in awhile it slows their attack as a foul is called. Flint is too nice and if we are going to have nice out there, better a nice guy that can play football. Magnusson probably won't be going through anyone either. No what else he won't do? He won't have time to bring a ball down but instead head it as far and as high as he can. Flint gives the ball back like this a good 10-15 times a game. Mate, you can take a quick glance at where your team is and cushion a header to someone as a pass. How many times have I seen that man with 10 yards of space crouch down to pound the ball 25 yards back to the other team? He's a serious liability. Love him and I think he loves the club and gives his all but he's nowhere near championship standard. Woeful Rotherham have 2 CBs I would take right now over Flint. 

Vyner at RB all day. Every game right now is tough but Newcastle could be a real hiding. I wouldn't want to shatter his confidence but again it could work as motivation as well if he gets taught a few lessons. Tough call for Saturday but I wouldn't be upset if he started. Just a little worried. 

Sorry for the long reply. It's more a response to you and a new post altogether. Hated pretty much everything tonight. Coach is clueless, players didn't try and watched a quality side thinking that's the type of football we should be playing. Just now getting dry and warm as well so really just a miserable night. 

11 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Vyner? He's poor too. We need to play 3.5.2. Said it for weeks. 

I'm with you.  Don't want to, but think we have too.  Although we don't have great wingbacks, at present I think we have worse full-backs (on current form).

I hold my hand up too.  I was a big supporter of Hegeler moving into midfield.  I thought he oozes class from that RCB position of his first few games and he could bring that to our midfield .  However in our current run, I think the Championship can bypass him a bit.

I could see him back as RCB or even the central man of a three (more a Sweeper).

So perm 3 from Flint, Wright, Hegeler and Magnüsson 

7 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

We have different players now - the trouble is, I think we would have to drop Flint to make it work and I can't ever see that happening, no matter how many goals we ship

do you honestly think this squad is any better than second part of the last season ? the one with promotion form ? I cant see it, wish i could mind.

57 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Our midfield.. Brownhill I thought was actually rather good.

WHAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!   :blink: 

It was playing Brownhill utterly out of position, as a defensive midfielder, that led to us looking like utter chumps throughout the first half.

Brownhill can look quite handy going forward, but he has the defensive presence of a cardboard cut-out. If he backed off his man any more he'd be sitting in the crowd.

It's why LJ likes him so much, I reckon. Reminds him of his own playing style.

The guy who set up the first goal was allowed to make the pass by Brownhill - standing, rooted to the spot, about 8 bloody feet away from him. Throughout his 45 minutes, zero closing down, zero tackles.

Hegeler had a poor game, but it's madness to play Brownhill back there. It's like Lee tried to solve the Tomlin or Bobby in advanced midfield conundrum by simply having no advanced midfield. Just two deep defensive midfielders, one not playing well, and the other I can't blame, but he should never be handed that role.

GON or Pack please, every game. 

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I'm with you on all of them except Tomlin. I'm about as done with him as the OP is with Matthews. I cringed when the fans sang his name and applauded him when he came on. He's had about 1 decent performance in about 20. He came on tonight and did exactly what I thought he would, nothing. 

Massively agree with this, don't understand at all the easy ride he gets.

As for his desperate attempts at the final whistle to remain popular by making a real show of clapping the fans? Embarrassing. I'd hope we can all see through such actions. If he put half as much effort in on the pitch as he did clapping after the final whistle he'd probably be managing to get a game in a team as terrible as ours.

If a new manager comes in, and manages to get Tomlin back in the team and playing some actual decent football then he can of course be a real asset in helping us stay up. But even if this happens we should be trying to move him on in the summer.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

WHAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!   :blink: 

It was playing Brownhill utterly out of position, as a defensive midfielder, that led to us looking like utter chumps throughout the first half.

Brownhill can look quite handy going forward, but he has the defensive presence of a cardboard cut-out. If he backed off his man any more he'd be sitting in the crowd.

It's why LJ likes him so much, I reckon. Reminds him of his own playing style.

The guy who set up the first goal was allowed to make the pass by Brownhill - standing, rooted to the spot, about 8 bloody feet away from him. Throughout his 45 minutes, zero closing down, zero tackles.

Hegeler had a poor game, but it's madness to play Brownhill back there. It's like Lee tried to solve the Tomlin or Bobby in advanced midfield conundrum by simply having no advanced midfield. Just two deep defensive midfielders, one not playing well, and the other I can't blame, but he should never be handed that role.

GON or Pack please, every game. 

I honestly think the dropping off was an instruction. MT interview says how LJ identified Fulham as the highest passers in the league. First half, second half, LJ's demeanour and lack of jumping up and down... I honestly think we were told to back off. That never changed at any point. Take the first half, how often did Djuric even peel back to AM positioning? This wasn't organic. 

So Brownhill I thought did look decent going forward and won more than his fair share of loose balls and 50/50s in the final third. Outside of that he was bad, but I think tactically made to look so. And we also played 2 (to my recollection) formations first half, maybe more... that's not conducive for a CM. 

4 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

As for his desperate attempts at the final whistle to remain popular by making a real show of clapping the fans? Embarrassing. I'd hope we can all see through such actions. If he put half as much effort in on the pitch as he did clapping after the final whistle he'd probably be managing to get a game in a team as terrible as ours.

If a new manager comes in, and manages to get Tomlin back in the team and playing some actual decent football then he can of course be a real asset in helping us stay up. But even if this happens we should be trying to move him on in the summer.

With this and then some. Have a hankering he, GON and Matthews have between them contributed in no small part to a lack of squad unity being discussed currently. 

Like you, get rid if we can get our outlay back. If not, maybe stick with him. 

One thing is for sure, falling out at BMouth, falling out here, he should have a serious think about what he wants from the game. His reputation could well be in tatters sooner than he realises. There's a reason he came on loan to a relegation threatened club and signed here.  If we then want rid... 

This is where agents go missing. If he was my client I'd be dressing him down right now. I'd not be trying to get him a move, I'd be trying to get his f head right. 

Just now, 29AR said:

I honestly think the dropping off was an instruction. MT interview says how LJ identified Fulham as the highest passers in the league. First half, second half, LJ's demeanour and lack of jumping up and down... I honestly think we were told to back off. That never changed at any point. Take the first half, how often did Djuric even peel back to AM positioning? This wasn't organic. 

So Brownhill I thought did look decent going forward and won more than his fair share of loose balls and 50/50s in the final third. Outside of that he was bad, but I think tactically made to look so. And we also played 2 (to my recollection) formations first half, maybe more... that's not conducive for a CM. 

Trouble was he was only going forward for about 5 minutes of the 45. Once he was - quite correctly - subbed, we started to look a lot less clownish. Bobby might not have the physique to bully people off the ball, but he does get in their faces. He's like a little Jack Russell snapping at opponents heels. Get up close and you close the angles opponents can pass to. Yes they might go round you, but they have to achieve that. Their play options are narrowed.

LJ obviously said as much as there was a lot more physicality from us second half. Clumsily so in Hegeler's case, but he did what I'd have done in his place - try to take out Cairney. By the time we had GON and Tomlin on, we were nearer the line-up we should have started with. Sadly, by that time, the damage had been done and heads had dropped.

57 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Every game right now is one you'd want to spare him from.

Honestly I think LJ has to shake things up. Magnusson, Vyner, ODowda, Reid and Tomlin all need to play. In order to get this energy and desire the team so clearly need I feel he must play players that have to perform in order to break into the team.

The players that he's already pissed off Shtanley ?

(Understand your fair point but I don't think he can name 11 anymore that are 'with' him !!  - and I'm serious !! )

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Trouble was he was only going forward for about 5 minutes of the 45. Once he was - quite correctly - subbed, we started to look a lot less clownish. Bobby might not have the physique to bully people off the ball, but he does get in their faces. He's like a little Jack Russell snapping at opponents heels. Get up close and you close the angles opponents can pass to. Yes they might go round you, but they have to achieve that. Their play options are narrowed.

LJ obviously said as much as there was a lot more physicality from us second half. Clumsily so in Hegeler's case, but he did what I'd have done in his place - try to take out Cairney. By the time we had GON and Tomlin on, we were nearer the line-up we should have started with. Sadly, by that time, the damage had been done and heads had dropped.

Maybe. To be honest Bobby did offer that but as you allude to, many balls went around. You either press as a team a la Klopp or you don't frankly imo. There's no point closing one player only to have your teammates not closing their options - be them even backwards. Otherwise you're just flogging individuals and begging to lose shape without reasonable chance of regaining possession. 

The players you mention, Tomlin and O'Neil cannot do this for 90. I don't think they could for 45 even. 2 players not up to fitness and team pressing is not an option. 

12 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Total agreement

As for fans seeing through him - about %90 of the posters on here gulped up every word in his 'Me and the gaffer get on fine' charade of an interview !

So don't hold your breath ;)

Archived