IGNORED

Team for Newcastle

joeyb

Forget about who the manager might at the weekend, what starting XI would you go for?

Giefer

Vyner Wright Magnusson Bryan

Hegeler Reid

Cotterill Tomlin Paterson

Taylor

I'd go 4-2-3-1 which we were playing at the beginning of the season relatively successfully.

Vyner because Matthews is offering nothing and Little still injured?

Get Reid back in midfield for a bit of energy and ideally providing a link between the defence and Tomlin.

Paterson I'd bring in as he's played quite well when called upon recently and feel him and Taylor would provide some movement in attacking areas for Reid, Cotterill and Tomlin to supply.

Fielding back in....gonna need a shot stopper (stupid comment I know, but Giefer hasn't done enough imho)

Brownhill, Flint, Wright, Magnüsson (be a tough one for Vyner to come into)

O'Neil, Pack/Reid (Hegeler not at it)

Cotterill, Paterson, O'Dowda

Djuric

Subs: Giefer, Vyner, Bryan, Hegeler, Reid/Pack, Taylor, Wilbraham

Funny (not really) but what I thought was my sure-fire 18, has changed after last night.

Still no LT, no KS, no SG, no GE....and not AM

Will post another team tomorrow, because i'm not thinking straight.

Whatever team turns out,, Lee needs to get back to basics as I  think he is making things too complicated for some of the players to understand.  Football is a simple game so keep it simple stupid (KISS).

Instil some passion into the team.  Play with spirit, work hard on closing down and get the ball forward quickly.

Play 442 or 352, but not one up front.  Attack is the best form of defence and if we try to defend, we will be easily beaten.

6 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Whatever team turns out,, Lee needs to get back to basics as I  think he is making things too complicated for some of the players to understand.  Football is a simple game so keep it simple stupid (KISS).

Instil some passion into the team.  Play with spirit, work hard on closing down and get the ball forward quickly.

Play 442 or 352, but not one up front.  Attack is the best form of defence and if we try to defend, we will be easily beaten.

Nicely summed up-can you make yourself available from now through may7th???........

fielding

wright                       flint                Magnusson

brownhill                pack                 hegelar              bryan

cotterill                     Wilbraham              tomlin

subs taylor giefer reid Patterson vyner golbourne djuric

343 for me and go for it press em attack em don't sit back and invite em on as in 80% of this season

rather see us giving it a good go and lose rather than the limp wristed stuff weve been watching.........

34 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

fielding

wright                       flint                Magnusson

brownhill                pack                 hegelar              bryan

cotterill                     Wilbraham              tomlin

subs taylor giefer reid Patterson vyner golbourne djuric

Not bad, just get the feeling that setup looks a bit lightweight down our left?  Our right looks pretty strong though!   ;)

I think we need a team with plenty of energy who will run around a lot with a considerable amount of bite, I've seen the line ups posted and they just seem way too milky to me.

9 hours ago, joeyb said:

Forget about who the manager might at the weekend, what starting XI would you go for?

Giefer

Vyner Wright Magnusson Bryan

Hegeler Reid

Cotterill Tomlin Paterson

Taylor

I'd go 4-2-3-1 which we were playing at the beginning of the season relatively successfully.

Vyner because Matthews is offering nothing and Little still injured?

Get Reid back in midfield for a bit of energy and ideally providing a link between the defence and Tomlin.

Paterson I'd bring in as he's played quite well when called upon recently and feel him and Taylor would provide some movement in attacking areas for Reid, Cotterill and Tomlin to supply.

swap hegeler for o'neil

2 years ago we won the double at a canter - you could virtually set your watch by the team selected and formation.

Now just reading this we haven't a clue someone even suggesting Matt Taylor up top by himself -none of us know not even LJ what represents his best team or formation and this is the root of all the current problems and it is for this reason alone he should be shown the door.

Giefer

Vyner          Wright            Flint         Golbourne

O'Neil        Hegeler       Pack

Cotterill                          Djuric                            Bryan

Put 4 defenders in their natural position and tell them to defend. Get some no nonsense guys/3 of the best passers in the squad/experienced heads in the middle of the park to break up play and use Cotterill/Bryan as outlets/defensive cover when required. Instruct Djuric that apart from defending set pieces, keep harassing the Newcastle defence at all times and put himself about a bit. Playing Djuric up top by himself means we can sacrifice that 'creative' midfielder in the likes of Tomlin or Reid as he isn't going to be beating the last man for pace from a nice through ball. The potential substitutions sort of choose themselves as well as one or two of the 'holding' midfielders can be taken off if necessary for Taylor/Tomlin etc....

In essence we're away at Newcastle, let's go back to basics and not try and be clever, let's do what most teams set up for there and hit them on the counter. It's not going to be pretty from a fans perspective and we're going to need a bit/lot of luck....

7 hours ago, 8MenWith1Dream said:

Taylor can't play up top on his own ffs.

It depends what his role is, and how he's supported by the rest of the team.  It wouldn't be my choice either, but we don't actually know.

A lot on here thought Kodjia or Abraham couldn't, but they didn't do bad, did they.  

Playing up top on your own is not a pre-requisite of a target-man, type striker.  We don't have to play through that type of striker.  We might want to knock it in the channels, get Taylor to chase it, and squeeze up in behind.  See Ipswich at home last season, one of Kodjia's best games imho. 

15 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

He is not 100% fit (hamstring issues). He probably could do it normally but scampering around up there on his own currently could lead to making things worse for him. 

Taylor has said he has no injury issues, only LJ mentioned this when he dropped him to the bench, but MT refuted the claim in a interview.

1 hour ago, Lordofthebling said:

Fielding

Vyner

Wright

Flint

Golbourne

Cotterill

Pack

O'Neill

Bryan

Duric

Taylor

Like this but with either GON or Pack not both, and with Tomlin or Reid as advanced MF and Gieffer rather than Fielding. Fielding wold not have reached that long shot that Gieffer used his fingertips to push wide towards the end of the first half. He's just too short.

7 minutes ago, cynic said:

With his movement and runs into the channel I see no reason whatsoever why he couldn't play on his own up top - as long as he has the forward support. 

Couldn't give a toss what the Pikey manager says, got eyes of my own thanks.

That's the kind of gist of my earlier response too.

Maybe DC said that he couldn't play up top on his own in the style Rovers play.  There's a big difference in playing an isolated striker on his own in say a rigid 451 where no-one gets up alongside him, or beyond him.

As I said earlier, you couldn't play him as the traditional target man type, but if he was prepared to be a 'runner' and suitably supported by say a Reid or Paterson then it's a different ball game.

13 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Taylor is clearly not fit enough and I'd start Tomlin up there with Djuric

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

Wills will play as Lee can trust him to put a shift in. Fielding needs to go back in goal.  Mathews we can drop him of at Sunderland on our way up there and tell him to do one. 

Preferably out of the plane if we were flying up

Archived