IGNORED

Great result....same story

CyberDan

Dont really have much to say.... Pleased with the point off a team who will be promoted. Saddened by throwing away another good lead.

Been boozing....so let this poor attempt at a start of a thread be consumed by the other 100 that will echo this sentiment!!

7 minutes ago, DanZider said:

Dont really have much to say.... Pleased with the point off a team who will be promoted. Saddened by throwing away another good lead.

Been boozing....so let this poor attempt at a start of a thread be consumed by the other 100 that will echo this sentiment!!

How is it a great result? We again threw away a 2.0 lead. Sorry but it's not good enough. Johnson lucky they didn't take one of many chances at the end. The fact remains he needs to go. 

It was solid - Newcastle could easily have won it with their chances in the second half but we we first to things at the back throughout, makes such a change. 

We pressed in the first half and never let them settle, and Cotterill and ODowda made such nuisances of themselves, always ready to drift off and be an outlet.

Newcastle were always going to come at us second half, yes we sat off a little bit as we always do but we sat in and closed at the right time compared to our usual retreating act, there were two sensational last ditch tackles from Flint and Vyner.

Perhaps only mistake was to not go earlier to Shelvey when he was on the ball in the centre. I'd like to see their two goals again, Giefler looked too hesitant yet again for the first and think Vyner lost man for second. 

The quality of some of our give and go's from breaking up Newcastle possession and then breaking wide, was excellent. It wasn't the Derby or one touch passing and pace, it was more solid foundations and little bursts of smart counter attacks.

I don't know what this means for Johnson, first half was actually quite comfortable and our pressing, shape and readiness to break was really intelligent and sharp. We had a couple of chances in the second half but ultimately surrendered the midfield and it was backs to the wall (though largely solid). In either part it  wasn't really a performance we have seen from Johnson teams so I tend to think it's the exception not the rule. 

MOM was Flint who obviously takes the abuse very seriously and wanted to and did win everything. Korey Smith was everywhere in midfield and attack too, pure guts. Cotterill and O'Dowda put in fantastic shifts, Cotterill is a class above but I was really surprised how well O'Dowda did to offer an outlet and track back and close down. Wilbraham was also smart and relentless up front with very little to work with.

I've lost my voice and was really proud of the team - it was the type of battling self belief performance that has been far far too rare under Lee Johnson. It struck me how many people in the away end were coaching and encouraging the team in the second half - that says a lot about actually seeing a City performance where you can see things to build on and where the belief doesn't evaporate and there is every reason to get behind them. No reason to use this game as more ammo for LJ, just be proud, a brief respite from the shit, a well fought point and a fantastic atmosphere. 

Giefler 6 couple of smart saves, better with the long range stuff than he is with crosses

Vyner 6 one brilliant tackle and some good stuff but the most exposed of the back 4

Bryan 7 didn't want to see him back at LB but he looked solid in the first half

Flint 9 absolute beast will be heading and kicking things all night

Wright 8 solid also

O'Neil 7 sat in and made right decisions between simple passes and hoofs upfield

Korey Smith 8 chased and broke up everything he could, got forward to good effect, ran out of juice unsurprisingly 

Reid 6 covered a lot of ground and was a willing decoy runner, few nice touches but nothing significant sticks in the memory

Cotterill 9 class act both going forward and dropping back, bags of confidence and alive to everything 

O'Dowda 8 a few poor choices in attacking positions towards the end but his best performance for us by far, worked hard and always a threat

Wilbraham 7 fought and fought with very little to work with, always a nuisance and held the ball up really well, amazed he lasted the whole game

Subs: Magnusson 7 solid in everything he did after coming on Pack 6 didnt get to do much

Back out on the toon now!

1 minute ago, Olé said:

It was solid - Newcastle could easily have won it with their chances in the second half but we we first to things at the back throughout, makes such a change. 

We pressed in the first half and never let them settle, and Cotterill and ODowda made such nuisances of themselves, always ready to drift off and be an outlet.

Newcastle were always going to come at us second half, yes we sat off a little bit as we always do but we sat in and closed at the right time compared to our usual retreating act, there were two sensational last ditch tackles from Flint and Vyner.

Perhaps only mistake was to not go earlier to Shelvey when he was on the ball in the centre. I'd like to see their two goals again, Giefler looked too hesitant yet again for the first and think Vyner lost man for second. 

The quality of some of our give and go's from breaking up Newcastle possession and then breaking wide, was excellent. It wasn't the Derby or one touch passing and pace, it was more solid foundations and little bursts of smart counter attacks.

I don't know what this means for Johnson, first half was actually quite comfortable and our pressing, shape and readiness to break was really intelligent and sharp. We had a couple of chances in the second half but ultimately surrendered the midfield and it was backs to the wall (though largely solid). In either part it  wasn't really a performance we have seen from Johnson teams so I tend to think it's the exception not the rule. 

MOM was Flint who obviously takes the abuse very seriously and wanted to and did win everything. Korey Smith was everywhere in midfield and attack too, pure guts. Cotterill and O'Dowda put in fantastic shifts, Cotterill is a class above but I was really surprised how well O'Dowda did to offer an outlet and track back and close down. Wilbraham was also smart and relentless up front with very little to work with.

I've lost my voice and was really proud of the team - it was the type of battling self belief performance that has been far far too rare under Lee Johnson. It struck me how many people in the away end were coaching and encouraging the team in the second half - that says a lot about actually seeing a City performance where you can see things to build on and where the belief doesn't evaporate and there is every reason to get behind them. No reason to use this game as more ammo for LJ, just be proud, a brief respite from the shit, a well fought point and a fantastic atmosphere. 

Giefler 6 couple of smart saves, better with the long range stuff than he is with crosses

Vyner 6 one brilliant tackle and some good stuff but the most exposed of the back 4

Wright 8 solid also

O'Neil 7 sat in and made right decisions between simple passes and hoofs upfield

Korey Smith 8 chased and broke up everything he could, got forward to good effect, ran out of juice unsurprisingly 

Reid 6 covered a lot of ground and was a willing decoy runner, few nice touches but nothing significant sticks in the memory

Cotterill 9 class act both going forward and dropping back, bags of confidence and alive to everything 

O'Dowda 8 a few poor choices in attacking positions towards the end but his best performance for us by far, worked hard and always a threat

Wilbraham 7 fought and fought with very little to work with, always a nuisance and held the ball up really well, amazed he lasted the whole game

Subs: Magnusson 7 solid in everything he did after coming on Pack 6 didnt get to do much

Giefer came out and caught numerous crosses along with a few strong saves. I wouldn't be critical of him not anyone else today. Vyner up against a top player in the league and yea got burned a few times but also was quick to put his body on the line. Definitely earned another start. Everyone put in a hell of a shift and they all deserve at least a 7 IMO

6 minutes ago, Olé said:

That sounds encouraging...do we need to retain the core of this line up for a few matches?

1 hour ago, BCFC_LIAM said:

I disagree with the people who say it was a bad result, a point to Newcastle is a very good result, BUT throwing away a lead is not acceptable in most circumstances (players sent off etc) and for the reason that if we are leading and concede, we never bounce back, LJ must go

A point away at Newcastle is indeed valuable, that can more be denied.

I do think though that any team throwing away a 2 goal lead has to really look at themselves and ask why.

@Olé   Was it all hands to deck cup game against better team performance or do you think that it was the kind of pace/effort that the team could keep up in the league. I would love to think the team were / are turning corners, but also aware that you can easily empty your bank balance on one shop and be broke for the rest of the month... want to believe, but also have the taint of the last 5 months looming large.

26 minutes ago, Fiale said:

@Olé   Was it all hands to deck cup game against better team performance or do you think that it was the kind of pace/effort that the team could keep up in the league. I would love to think the team were / are turning corners, but also aware that you can easily empty your bank balance on one shop and be broke for the rest of the month... want to believe, but also have the taint of the last 5 months looming large.

Well, at least the honest players did their best and if they can repeat at Villa ( draw ) and beat Burton then we are actually starting to climb away from the abyss . A point at  Newcastle is a great result achieved by players who are prepared to earn their money unlike the primadonnas who succumbed to Fulham . Let them have another go Lee . We will always get behind graft and grit . LJ said on press conference " no time now for experiments , it's all down to energy . Now Ok . It is basic but if basic gets us through then good . Not many teams get anything at SJPark . Only slight cynicism is if they can rise to the occasion in front of 52000 why can't they do it at the Gate where the fans have been massively supportive despite the dross served up . I think we should hold the ground and see how it goes at  villa . Looks like LJ has not lost his dressing room . 

3 hours ago, Olé said:

Wright 8 solid also

Cheers Ole - always appreciate your reviews. Onwards and hopefully upwards! COYR!

Well, morning after; what is there to say?

To add to the much repeated adage; if you'd offered me a point from the visit to St James, I'd have taken your arm off at the shoulder - whatever your thoughts on the current 'bigger picture' at the club, Newcastle have a team that should get promoted this season, and gaining anything from a match against them is no easy task (though additional point - saw one person on here say Newcastle were the "best ever" team to grace this division; that is utter rubbish - I've seen better many times before).

I attended the game having spent the day in the company of a pair of Newcastle fans, both comfortably convinced they'd beat us.  On seeing the line up at 1300, I was slightly bemused, but almost felt that the seeming randomness of it might actually help.

Prophetically, one of the Geordies I was with looked at the team sheets, shrugged, said the only player of ours he'd heard of was Wilbraham, wondered if any of the Newcastle players had a clue who they'd be facing, and mentioned that this might help us.

I think it possibly did.

No doubt Rafa will actually have known a fair amount about our players pre-kick off.  But I doubt he and his side will have been expecting the energy and tenacity we displayed in the first half.

Full credit to LJ, the coaching staff and the players out there in the first 45; we harassed them at every turn, tried to play forward whenever the opportunity arose, and defended stoically when it was call for.

Yes; Newcastle had opportunities, but the were limited, and they reverted to pinging cross field balls to Atsu or the other lad, rather than face playing through us, which caused the odd problem but primarily we dealt with well.

The first goal was the sort of second phase chance we so rarely take, and the fact it came from a combination between two of our more experienced campaigners was telling.  

Both O'Neil and Wilbraham were full-on warriors yesterday; fighting for every ball, using all their nous to work is out of awkward situations or hold the balk up that few seconds longer, and their leadership was clear - literally on-field organisers, helping us keep shape and repel Newcastle attacks.

Cotterill was also immense.  His engine and guile was essential to how we played, and as a primarily attacking player, his commitment to defensive work is impressive.  I'm delighted he got his first goal since returning, and his set piece delivery could have led to more goals, and is brilliantly consistent. First name on the team sheet, whatever formation or set up we play, please.

Vyner and O'Dowda impressed me too.  Yes, both at times naive, but in the case of Vyner, Atsu would have had most full backs on absolute toast, and though he gave us a torrid time, Vyner came out with a lot of credit.  I'd start either him or Little over Matthews every single time; I like that Vyner is also a 'safety first' type, putting a foot through when needed.

O'Dowda was bright, bold and gave their defence a few heart stopping moments first half to match those Atsu gave our own.  I like his pace, and willingness to run with the ball: I think training with Cotterill will be good for him in this respect, as one thing he sometimes lacked was perhaps the experience to find the best pass after a positive little run.

Flint was a monster; they basically abandoned going down the middle thanks to him and Wright (who I also liked; clearly loves a battle), and other than a slightly scary moment where I thought he'd pulled down the last man early second half, he showed why he can be so vital for us, kicking and heading and blocking whenever called upon.

Giefer had his best game; the Geordies I was on the Toon with said post-game they hated him, which is a good sign.  Still iffy on the balls sent in from the wings, but mostly confident in coming and catching, with a very good stop in there too.

Korey Smith: what can you say?  He's here, here's there... and all that.  Shame he'll be credited with their first, but telling he's in there, trying to win that, when I think we've seen more often than not a lack of drive and chase from the centre of the pitch.  We need him in whenever his body will allow; his bite in the tackle and timing will be vital over the next 13 games.

I did leap out of my seat and scream my head off when at 2-0 up, Bryan and O'Dowda decided to play their own person rubbish tiki-taka in the Newcastle half, gifting possession to them.  And lost my voice telling Bryan to put his bloody foot through the ball in defence.  Everyone did well, but some players need to learn that overplaying is a sin, and one I think contributes to our downfall more often than not.

And to those bemoaning another loss of a two nil or more lead; this was a bit different.

Newcastle were always going to score; even in our most dominant periods, it was obvious they contained enough quality to make something out of nothing.  The two goal cushion should have been enough, but never felt comfortable, and when they came for us, they came at us with force and with enough chances to put the game away.  

We actually had a couple of very decent set piece chances second half, and without some sharp Newcastle defending, we may very well have got a third, and that would most likely have been enough.

But I was proud of the players, sang myself mute (excellent performance from the Cider Army), and fair play to LJ for organising a side to cope with Newcastle yesterday.

Bigger picture; we need that application and energy now every single game - I believe Villa won't have the gears Newcastle could call on to go through and force us back if we get in their faces like that, and I just hope we can maintain this going forward.

I'm still concerned (deeply) over LJ's stewardship of our side; this was an unexpected positive result and performance, and not part of a progressive pattern of improvement - rewatch the Fulham game to see the Hyde to the Jekyll of yesterday.

Simply put; he brought back aome 'old guard' (both in age and in the sense they've been out in the cold for a while) in Smith, Wilbs, O'Neil, Mags and Reid, as well as including some young guns like Vyner and O'Dowda, and the blend worked well.  However, it doesn't reflect the type of teams he's been picking, so this is nice surprise, but a surprise all the same.

But as I've always said; I just hope LJ can prove me incorrect in thinking he's not the right man, and the next 13 games see us climb away to safety, where we can reassess things in the summer.

A cracking day out, and now on to Villa.  Their win will give them confidence, but so should our draw.  If we show the intensity and quality and fight we did yesterday, we should get something.  I really hope we can.

COYR!

17 hours ago, tinman85 said:

How is it a great result? We again threw away a 2.0 lead. Sorry but it's not good enough. Johnson lucky they didn't take one of many chances at the end. The fact remains he needs to go. 

No we didn't throw it away despite you posting this 100 times. Newcastle, the league leaders a side littered with internationals,  expensive signings and coached by one of the most experienced coaches in European football, fought back after gifting us a two goal lead. Yes we have given games away this season but even many of LJ'S fiercest critic's don't see this as being remotely similar.

17 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thanks for the great report @samo II

That report, coming from you ,  and lots of bits in it ( Individuals particularly) gives me real hope

Just hope the setting and a 50,000 sell out didn't lift us for one game - Villa Park may be the ideal,follow,up 

:thumbsup:

I agree, both in the sense that I hope it's not a case of the setting lifting the team, but also that even if that played a part, heading to a similarly impressive area in the shape of Villa Park may be the perfect follow up match.

There were a number of positives, and I hope we can build on them.  Had some thoughts on how you'd retain the core of that team, yet make it more attacking, or replace players like-for-like to counter injury or suspension.  But got to get on with my day just now!

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

No we didn't throw it away despite you posting this 100 times. Newcastle, the league leaders a side littered with internationals,  expensive signings and coached by one of the most experienced coaches in European football, fought back after gifting us a two goal lead. Yes we have given games away this season but even many of LJ'S fiercest critic's don't see this as being remotely similar.

I'd not say I'm one of his "fiercest" critics, but I'd accept I'm certainly a critic, and I agree with the above.

A manager of Benitez's abilities, with a squad of Newcastle's quality at his finger tips; they were always going to give us a rough time when they got themselves in the swing of things, and so it came to pass.

Yes, frustrating to lost a lead again, but unlike Derby or Cardiff or Reading, this was a hard earned point for which I feel we were good value.

We'll need to play as well again on Tuesday, as Steve Bruce is a similarly wily old gaffer, and his squad is rich with talent, but their confidence and form near matches ours, so we must go without fear on order to instil some ourselves.  

This is an unquestionable a huge week in our season, but we'be set ourselves up well for it with the result this weekend.  Even LJ skeptics should be able to take heart from that.

Archived