IGNORED

Its next season I'm more worried about

Thatwasclose

29 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Because they can't sign players now!

They should of realised that we need more players for the now, LJ has taken on the project of building for the future & I believe that is why he has managed to keep his job because he was planning for the future (which is what the club wanted) but he will be more aware now that tomorrow never comes & he needs to take care of the now & worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

As a club we got the ratio of signings wrong, we signed more players with an eye on the future, instead of spending what budget there was available on players to perform now.

I would expect LJ to of recognised this & how close he was / is to losing his job.

This is why so many managers / head coaches sign older players that can be relied on because it is most likely that they won't be in a job for years to come & to see those future players come good.

This transfer lark isn't like buying oranges and apples , you have a list of targets and some will come off and some deals just can't be done , in time , or at all.

Regardless of which division we end up in, there will be a clear out of some players that have failed to perfom in the Championship.

Some surprises also, with some PROVEN Championship players hopefully joining?

Too many "players" for the future has not worked. Managers for the future don't work neither in this league and the bar appears to be getting higher every season, just to survive in the Championship.

3 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Agree with the tenet of this post. We ain't going down this season. Next season however, I think we're gonna struggle badly.

How did you calculate we are not going to be relegated?

What do you know that we don't?

As far is next season is concerned, we will do well in League 1, but struggle again at this level, IF we stay up - which we won't at this rate.

:badmood:

tfj

3 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Regardless of which division we end up in, there will be a clear out of some players that have failed to perfom in the Championship.

Some surprises also, with some PROVEN Championship players hopefully joining?

Too many "players" for the future has not worked. Managers for the future don't work neither in this league and the bar appears to be getting higher every season, just to survive in the Championship.

But SL allowed LJ to sign 19 players.

And we are where we are.

Almost two whole squads of players, and we are shit.

"Keep the faith"?

**** off.

tfj

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

This transfer lark isn't like buying oranges and apples , you have a list of targets and some will come off and some deals just can't be done , in time , or at all.

But clubs have different transfer targets & aims.

Until this summer it had been a while since we had gone out & brought players with real potential (O'Dowda, Moore, Brownhill, Engvall) especially for the cost.

This year & I believe it was because of LJ being in charge & trusted by SL, he was given a bigger budget & allowed to sign potential at a much bigger cost than we ever had & that was with the view that LJ would be here for years to come & be able to reap the rewards of these youngsters in years to come. If LJ was only ever likely to be here for the short term, he wouldn't of risked signing players for the future who another manager / head coach could benefit from in years to come because he (LJ) would be judged on the here & now (as he is by so many of the fan base).

There aren't many clubs or managers that look to the future because it's such a cutthroat business & people are judged on what happens now, not what might happen in 3 or 4 years time.

I just watched the Newcastle game and feel pretty despondent again - yeah it was a plucky, in your face, hassle the opponent game - but we did not play any real football in that match. I know it was Newcastle, great point and all, but help think the occasion masked a pretty plucky but mediocre display.

2 hours ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

How did you calculate we are not going to be relegated?

What do you know that we don't?

As far is next season is concerned, we will do well in League 1, but struggle again at this level, IF we stay up - which we won't at this rate.

:badmood:

tfj

Much the same way the bookies do really. Keep the faith!

4 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

I have been to the future. Next season we get promoted. To the Championship. :whistle:

So have I. Tammy wanted a go in my DeLorean and he did 88mph on the A370. I found we won the play-offs next season and finally made the promised land. So one of us must have changed something and created a parallel universe. Did you bring back the Sports Almanac or do I have to phone Tammy?

Edit: Tammy has never been in my DeLorean. Neither have I for that fact.

3 hours ago, Fiale said:

I just watched the Newcastle game and feel pretty despondent again - yeah it was a plucky, in your face, hassle the opponent game - but we did not play any real football in that match. I know it was Newcastle, great point and all, but help think the occasion masked a pretty plucky but mediocre display.

Drawing at Newcastle is in no way mediocre.

I've never really understood this Academy Project. If your spending big money ( relative to the income and history of the club) on players it's completely crackers to buy them with a view to be playing them in 1 or 2 years time. 

Whats the average tenancy of a football manager ? 1 or 2 years ? 

I'm not sure that any of O'Dowda, Moore, Engvall or De Giralamo will save Johnson his job in the short term or make him a success in the long term (although I've seen promise in all of them).

I'm all in favour of Bristol City picking up all the West Country talent instead of it going to Southampton or Cardiff and that has to be fed through to the first team. But for the here and now if you want to compete in the Championship you need quality players who are ready now whether they be 18 or 35, from the Prem, La Liga or Div 2 .

2 minutes ago, Nube Rojo said:

exactly, LJ had repeated mistake after mistake

How? In January he signed Bailey Wright & David Cotterill (both years of Championship experience), Giefer & Hegeler (both with experience in the Bundasliga & Europe) & Djuric (International experience).None of these have been signed with an eye on 2 or 3 years time. So he's recognised the need for players for the here & now.

Signing players isn't as straightforward as you may think, it's a complicated business & as funny as it may sound, we're not the only club looking to sign players & players of the caliber that we now require will be wanted throughout Europe in some cases. But I guess that's LJ's fault again?!?

15 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I'm becoming increasingly worried about Season 2022/23 .

Could be à right bastard.

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

Especially if LJ is still in charge..............:facepalm:

If LJ is still in charge in 22/23, even I'll be surprised.

That out of the way

That some people believe that past performance determines current/future performance, is a sad indictment of their views. It points to a future where everything stays the same, clearly an absurd view to life.

Granted, if someone is clearly stuck in their ways and is not prepared to try different things (some say that SC was stuck in his ways), then past performance 'could' be an indicator to the future.

That some say that LJ doesn't know his best team/formation/etc. points to someone who's prepared to take risks to find his best team. An approach not to everyones liking (because they don't have the stomach for risk) but it does have it's benefits - anyone who wants to be successful has to be prepared to take risks.

What I'm still waiting to see is if LJ is a reckless gambler? I haven't had enough time (my stomach can handle more risk than some on this forum) to determine this yet. If he's still here next season, he won't have much more time to show us because he's promised results after 3 transfer windows and he might come to regret to making such a promise.

Onwards and upwards

For me is avoid relegation the mainthing. Next season is not now. Often the second season in a new leauge more difficault than the first.

If we are in this leauge next season think LJ is the manager. Sure he can see our problems in flanks. Our history is most second and third div. My wish is that we can establish in this leauge. Dont think its so far to reach there. Think LJ got another season to work. Think the problem is deper. Change manager every season is not the solution I think.

On 26/02/2017 at 09:02, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

'Proven without doubt'?  How do you rationalise that then?  What is your criterion for 'proof'?  My expectations were to consolidate this season, and I believe few had any expectations of the play-offs.  We would have hoped not to be close to the relegation zone, but given the turnover in squad it is hardly surprising.  This season is a learning experience, and sometimes you have to go through this sort of turmoil in order to progress.

Utterly pathetic for anyone to be already writing us off for for next season, and typical of the mentality on this website.  Any feeble excuse to jump on the bandwagon and find even more imaginative ways of criticising Lee Johnson.  I don't know how long you have been 'supporting' City (if indeed you do) but if you have been around a while you might remember season 1988-89 when a certain Joe Jordan had us pulling our hair out, and was rescued from the sack (the decision having already been taken by the Board) only by a completely unexpected 6-0 thrashing of Huddersfield.  The following season is, of course, history.

Rather than put up hypothetical situations to worry about, why not just get behind the club now?  That's what's needed.

Proof is from watching the team week in week out. From looking at the table, from speaking to fellow fans, news articles, the players we have sold on and are performing better elsewhere than they were doing under LJ, the fact that we would have been relegated already if it weren't for a loan signing that we probably won't have again next season, the list goes on!

I'm actually applying reason - how is it unreasonable to think that a manager who has overseen an atrocious run of form for an extended period will most likely oversee another one next season?

I get behind the club by buying my season ticket and cheering the team on, that doesn't mean I must believe the manager is the right person even when his stint so far has shown me otherwise.

As I said in my post, unless something dramatic happens like us spending bucket loads then we can expect more of the same next season if we have the same man in charge - that's hardly being negative, rather it's being realistic.

On 26/02/2017 at 08:57, GJS said:

Yes. Let's hope lessons have been learnt. LJ has got the team playing good football at times. Let's hope we can do this for much longer periods of time.

Both LJ and the players will be a lot wiser from what has happened this season and with a couple of championship quality signing we can become a good championship side with LJ in charge.

Going down is still a strong possibility..

And it's all change if that happens.again.

On 26/02/2017 at 12:45, RedDave said:

Amazingly we have signed so many players and yet seem quite a few players short of a mid table team.  Sadly that is partly because a lot of new signings don't seem good enough.  

I believe the players are good enough.

Its the tactics and shape LJ uses, plus the constant tinkering with the team that are the problems.

I would love to see what a manager who doesn't do the above things, take  control of our squad. 

LJ has been given everything he's wanted since being here, but he seems unable to manage a team for a 90 minute period though.

Archived