IGNORED

So what was the decision?

citywest30

Not deliberately being difficult as think the mods do a great job on here. It must be a thankless task. However, that being said there was a very interesting and thought provoking thread set up by someone distastefully called 'Gestapo'.

It seems he has been banned as he was a previously banned poster but would be interested to here from the mods as to a decision about other 'distaceful' user names. I'm not saying they should be banned but if the name was part of the reason for Gestapo being banned then shouldn't there be consistency?

Just now, Nomad said:

Maybe the mods need a pinned thread stating their reasons for everything they do and/or don't do? Either that or I am happy to conduct a formal audit of their actions for a small fee.

Think that's a bit facetious. I only am interested in knowing what the mods decision was as it came up in the thread that some usernames were inappropriate.

Crimson and gestapo were the same person, both banned as they were someone who had been banned previously. They had signed up for both the above named accounts with virtually the same email address. The name on that email address was the same as the previously banned person. 

Hope that clears things up.  

2 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Crimson and gestapo were the same person, both banned as they were someone who had been banned previously. They had signed up for both the above named accounts with virtually the same email address. The name on that email address was the same as the previously banned person. 

Good work Dolly

Sorting out these nauses must be a pain , in MODS own time

Thanks

(Wasn't Gestapo allegedly the SOD banner maker - had pics of it 'at home' ? )

Interesting :cool:

1 minute ago, Dollymarie said:

Thanks. Does that mean there was no need to make a decision about other user names? Can people use whatever usernames they want then even if they offend? Not saying they offend me much but I can see the points made by others.

1 minute ago, citywest30 said:

Thanks. Does that mean there was no need to make a decision about other user names? Can people use whatever usernames they want then even if they offend? Not saying they offend me much but I can see the points made by others.

I had posted in the moderator section saying could we have a discussion about the username, but then the fact they were already banned overrode that in this instance. 

1 minute ago, Dollymarie said:

I had posted in the moderator section saying could we have a discussion about the username, but then the fact they were already banned overrode that in this instance. 

Fair dos Dolls. Thanks for replying. I would suggest that it would still be a good issue to make a decision on.

Just now, citywest30 said:

This does need addressing.

Marcus X claimed that usernames were not important, and that there were far more important things to worry about.

Well I have an issue with two usernames, but understand others don't.

However, a line must be drawn. What next, people using paedophile's names or childkillers ?

Imagine somebody calling themselves Ian Huntley and using his picture as an avatar ? 

It is also unacceptable, IMO to have the names of mass murderers being used.

5 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

This does need addressing.

Marcus X claimed that usernames were not important, and that there were far more important things to worry about.

Well I have an issue with two usernames, but understand others don't.

However, a line must be drawn. What next, people using paedophile's names or childkillers ?

Imagine somebody calling themselves Ian Huntley and using his picture as an avatar ? 

It is also unacceptable, IMO to have the names of mass murderers being used.

But what happens if you share your name with a mass murderer? Should you be banned from using your own name?

Granted I agree about using a picture as in the example you have.

3 minutes ago, TRL said:

But what happens if you share your name with a mass murderer? Should you be banned from using your own name?

Well, if there is a Bristol City fan called "Saddam Hussein", I would like to think that he would come up with an alternative name for his profile.

7 minutes ago, TRL said:

If I shared a name with a mass murderer I'd probably change is by deed poll! I've always wanted to be Max Power, I'd use it as a good opportunity (I got it from a hairdryer)

1 minute ago, The Gasbuster said:

Well, if there is a Bristol City fan called "Saddam Hussein", I would like to think that he would come up with an alternative name for his profile.

I am sure Saddam would only really bother our kuwaiti and Iranian guests.. and maybe George w Bush and Tony Blair

I am sure there are lots of Ian Huntley's Harold Shipman's and Fred West's out there who would quite like to use their name, and maybe as a username.  

The only ones I can see any problems with are the obvious swearing usernames.  They don't bother me but as this forum is open to all including kids some may have a problem.

28 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

What was his"crime"

39 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Thank you Miss Marple :wub:

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

That explains why his posts were so pathetic. 

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

Maybe the mods need a pinned thread stating their reasons for everything they do and/or don't do? Either that or I am happy to conduct a formal audit of their actions for a small fee.

No. Get an agent and hold out for a large fee...

Archived