IGNORED

So what was the decision?

citywest30

It's an interesting discussion. I'm intrigued by people's reaction to this, fuelled I think by the sudden outpouring of offence taken in this country to Trump? I Suggested in the other thread that maybe we feel that sometimes we're morally obliged to take offence rather than actually feeling offended? The guys username was distasteful to say the least but does it really matter? Shouldn't we just humour him/her? After all don't we laugh at David Brent taking the piss out of disabled people etc?  But it's ok as Brent just looks like an uneducated knob?

5 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

This does need addressing.

Marcus X claimed that usernames were not important, and that there were far more important things to worry about.

Well I have an issue with two usernames, but understand others don't.

However, a line must be drawn. What next, people using paedophile's names or childkillers ?

Imagine somebody calling themselves Ian Huntley and using his picture as an avatar ? 

It is also unacceptable, IMO to have the names of mass murderers being used.

Some people maybe offended by the Symbolism represented by your avatar.

13 minutes ago, Gakoe said:

It's an interesting discussion. I'm intrigued by people's reaction to this, fuelled I think by the sudden outpouring of offence taken in this country to Trump? I Suggested in the other thread that maybe we feel that sometimes we're morally obliged to take offence rather than actually feeling offended? The guys username was distasteful to say the least but does it really matter? Shouldn't we just humour him/her? After all don't we laugh at David Brent taking the piss out of disabled people etc?  But it's ok as Brent just looks like an uneducated knob?

Can't stick The Office. Or Ricky Gervais' stand up.

However, he's hilarious when unscripted and off the cuff. 

5 hours ago, TRL said:

I am sure Saddam would only really bother our kuwaiti and Iranian guests.. and maybe George w Bush and Tony Blair

I am sure there are lots of Ian Huntley's Harold Shipman's and Fred West's out there who would quite like to use their name, and maybe as a username.  

The only ones I can see any problems with are the obvious swearing usernames.  They don't bother me but as this forum is open to all including kids some may have a problem.

there are people who seem to take offence as a way of life, I just accept that some people see things a little differently than me

5 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Well, if there is a Bristol City fan called "Saddam Hussein", I would like to think that he would come up with an alternative name for his profile.

11 minutes ago, pillred said:

there are people who seem to take offence as a way of life, I just accept that some people see things a little differently than me

So Hitler was cool , he just saw things differently to you .

Live and let live .

Sometimes you have to stand up and say ' Sorry but I'm not comfortable with your opinion ' 

There was something clearly wrong with the poster and his motives which made me speak out .

I was not alone and as it turns out the guy had already been banned so I consider myself vindicated.

I confess that that my nature is not to judge and to let others be however freedom can't exist without responsibility and consideration for others .

6 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

This does need addressing.

Marcus X claimed that usernames were not important, and that there were far more important things to worry about.

Well I have an issue with two usernames, but understand others don't.

However, a line must be drawn. What next, people using paedophile's names or childkillers ?

Imagine somebody calling themselves Ian Huntley and using his picture as an avatar ? 

It is also unacceptable, IMO to have the names of mass murderers being used.

It's distasteful, but will I lose any sleep over it? No. Like I say just my opinion but it's a bit soft to get offended by something posted online, especially something that is most likely there just to get a reaction.

sticks and stones etc.. 

• Admin
22 minutes ago, Tammys Scan said:

Anything that causes offence shouldn't be allowed, common sense is needed though, some people are a bit sensitive.

Not convinced that would a good example to explain how to moderate!!  FWIW, there isn't much that offends me, personally I like the sickest of humour and have scant regard for sensitivity, but I, as do all the other admin and moderators on here, have to try and find a reasonable level, whereby the fun and banter of football is maintained, without breaching legal positon and the (mainstream) moral perspective.

I suppose we could have a 'safe space' sub-forum for the delicate posters :)

14 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Not convinced that would a good example to explain how to moderate!!  FWIW, there isn't much that offends me, personally I like the sickest of humour and have scant regard for sensitivity, but I, as do all the other admin and moderators on here, have to try and find a reasonable level, whereby the fun and banter of football is maintained, without breaching legal positon and the (mainstream) moral perspective.

I suppose we could have a 'safe space' sub-forum for the delicate posters :)

What example? My point was basically your point just shortened :blink:

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

So Hitler was cool , he just saw things differently to you .

Live and let live .

Sometimes you have to stand up and say ' Sorry but I'm not comfortable with your opinion ' 

There was something clearly wrong with the poster and his motives which made me speak out .

I was not alone and as it turns out the guy had already been banned so I consider myself vindicated.

I confess that that my nature is not to judge and to let others be however freedom can't exist without responsibility and consideration for others .

that's a pretty extreme example you have used, of course his views were wrong but there are many examples of people having different opinions where you can argue for both sides it would be a pretty dull world if we all thought the same, a lot of people might consider your opinions to be a little controversial but you believe you are right don't you and you are perfectly entitled to them. 

12 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Why woyld the name gestapo upset anyone? 

Without context, hard to say. When the avatar is Himmler, this might point to a poster who might be a nause. Considering that it appears the poster has previous, the 'might' turns to bloody likely.

I've changed my avatar today, used to be the REDRUM on the door in The Shining, thinking about it not in the best of taste either,  now you all get the joy of my stoat tattoo instead!

I'm not being faceatious in anyway at all, I just felt uncomfortable commenting negatively whilst not questioning my own choices.

RumRed by the way just means I'm a bit odd and support City, no connations there!

Archived