IGNORED

Leroy Rosenior autobiography

Olé

12 minutes ago, Olé said:

Nope - he is mentioned alongside him:

58b5706cab8ca_ScreenShot2017-02-28at08_30_57.thumb.png.ee194a523317ea0a315cf5c9b4da4f26.png

A few things stand out for me here

If you're going to name someone, name him. What's the big deal, it's hardly going to be a best seller, is it?

If Gary Shelton didn't like Andy (I won't call him Andrew!) Cole, then that is good enough for me

Casual racism. Yeah, Andy wasn't popular because he was black, Leroy. I think we've all seen / heard stories of his general aloofness throughout his career. Didn't he leave Arsenal because he thought he should be starting there? Confident fella, obviously, but it does rub certain people up the wrong way. White, Chinese, Asian people are the same. I very much doubt it had anything to do with the colour of his skin. That really boils my piss

25 minutes ago, Olé said:

Nope - he is mentioned alongside him:

58b5706cab8ca_ScreenShot2017-02-28at08_30_57.thumb.png.ee194a523317ea0a315cf5c9b4da4f26.png

Thanks Ole

Interesting

I was loosely 'around' at the club in these days and I think you may find some of the players didn't take to Andy Cole as he was quite insular full stop , wouldn't train if it was very cold and surrounded himself with his own group of 'friends' most of which he brought with him

Obviously not Aizlewood as you say so as for 'Andy Dean' gonna have to keep thinking 

:ill:

Andy May ?

Atteveld ?

Osman ?

'Jacki' was a big personality but generally popular I'd have said

9 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

If you're going to name someone, name him. What's the big deal, it's hardly going to be a best seller, is it?

If Gary Shelton didn't like Andy (I won't call him Andrew!) Cole, then that is good enough for me

Casual racism. Yeah, Andy wasn't popular because he was black, Leroy. I think we've all seen / heard stories of his general aloofness throughout his career. Didn't he leave Arsenal because he thought he should be starting there? Confident fella, obviously, but it does rub certain people up the wrong way. White, Chinese, Asian people are the same. I very much doubt it had anything to do with the colour of his skin. That really boils my piss

Agreed Woodsy, not sure Shelton, Aizelwood and whoever "Andy Dean" is supposed to be, will be too happy about being associated with that either.

"Did the colour of his skin affect how they treated him? I wouldn't know about that" - then why ******* speculate??

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thanks Ole

Interesting

I was loosely 'around' at the club in these days and I think you may find some of the players didn't take to Andy Cole as he was quite insular full stop , wouldn't train if it was very cold and surrounded himself with his own group of 'friends' most of which he brought with him

Obviously not Aizlewood as you say so as for 'Andy Dean' gonna have to keep thinking 

:ill:

Probably Lee Johnson . Boo ! 

Johnson Out :protest:

1 minute ago, glynriley said:

Agreed woodsy, not sure Shelton, Aizelwood and whoever "Andy Dean" is supposed to be, will be too happy about being associate with that either.

"Did the colour of his skin affect how they treated him? I wouldn't know about that" - then why ******* speculate??

Does seem odd that Shelts and Aizlewood are named, but 'Andy Dean' gets away with it. Very odd

Just googled MA as I remember he'd got himself in a spot of bother not long back, read that his estranged wife had committed suicide as well. Tough times for the big man

Your last sentence just about sums it up for me

18 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Don't think LR means Shelts didn't like Cole , just had him as a big personality

Not well written but the comma is key before 'Andy Dean ......'

I can assure you Gary Shelton was one of the nicest people you'd ever meet inside or outside football and if anyone has any doubt , listen to Chris Honors talk with GT on a recent Sound Of The City

Intelligent and great bloke all round is Gary Shelton

Great footballer , great Dad , great captain , great leader

Edit

Just re read the passage and it does suggest / imply / say MA & Shelts didn't like the fact AC didn't like the things they did

From my personal experience MA was a bit of a loud , aggressive personality but as I've written above Shelts , in my experience was almost a polar opposite

Strange 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Don't think LR means Shelts didn't like Cole , just had him as a big personality

I can assure you Gary Shelton was one of the nicest people you'd ever meet inside or outside football and if anyone has any doubt , listen to Chris Honors talk with GT on a recent Sound Of The City

That's good to know, I loved the bloke as a player. Glad that he's still well thought of by ex team mates

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Oh for a Shelton now.

5 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Does seem odd that Shelts and Aizlewood are named, but 'Andy Dean' gets away with it. Very odd

Just googled MA as I remember he'd got himself in a spot of bother not long back, read that his estranged wife had committed suicide as well. Tough times for the big man

Your last sentence just about sums it up for me

' Randy ' D-jakinoffski , our Polish waster .

12 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

4 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Agreed woodsy, not sure Shelton, Aizelwood and whoever "Andy Dean" is supposed to be, will be too happy about being associate with that either.

Leroy poses a rhetorical question, is my guess. 

The thing I would ask Leroy is: have you ever come across older players, nearing the end of their career, being a bit resentful of younger, emerging players, with their best years ahead of them (and probably on the verge of earning far more money than the veterans)?

I would speculate that it is not unusual for players of 30 plus to be closer to other players of a similar vintage, and not so close with players 10 years younger. And for there to be some distance - and even some antagonism - between the "generations" at times. Just like any other workplace.

Skin colour may or may not have come in to it, but it is not a pre-requisite for workmates to not get on sometimes

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Tbf to Leroy he contributed majorly to keeping us up and ACs success but rarely gets credited

Scored one of the best headed goals I can remember at Ashton Gate, an absolute bullet from just inside the penalty area, a cross came in from the right (attacking the East End) and he thundered it into the top corner.

It was near the end of the season, want to say v Ipswich but 25 years on, I couldn't be sure!

17 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Scored one of the best headed goals I can remember at Ashton Gate, an absolute bullet from just inside the penalty area, a cross came in from the right (attacking the East End) and he thundered it into the top corner.

It was near the end of the season, want to say v Ipswich but 25 years on, I couldn't be sure!

Andy Cole was probably the most impactive loan signing I've ever seen at the Gate

From the moment he joined , to me it was , wow, blimey , this kids a cut above, on a different level

He proved to be s Top Premiership player and an International - Nuff said !!

But when you think we had Jacki , who in moments was top top Pemiership quality and LR himself who tho , through injuries was struggling , but at his best , and still in moments was Top division standard - Some of the link up play between those three was breathtaking

Add to that we had ex international Russell Osman and a Welsh International in Aizlewood 

A few other quality players like Shelts

and you begin to wonder how we didn't threaten promotion then !!!!!

we had a squad in terms of proven quality (Most not at their peak admittedly) that we could only dream Of at the present time !!

Think if we could have kept AC for another 12 months we might have had a go 

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Clearly a "nom de plume". Was Mark Aizlewood still with us or perhaps the midfielder Dave Martin?

Not sure of the timings, but Dave Martin would certainly have been a character, if he was similar off the pitch to how he was on the thing!

3 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Not sure of the timings, but Dave Martin would certainly have been a character, if he was similar off the pitch to how he was on the thing!

Martin was with us in the 93/94 season (Played at Anfield) but Cole had gone by the time he arrived I think

Edit

Martin signed July 93

Cole sold to Newcastle Feb 93

So DM is eliminated :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Olé said:

Just published and with a foreword by Andy Cole

http://amzn.to/2ltMVi1

"Highlights" so far:

• He and Andy Cole stayed in "Avon George" hotel together
  • Jewellers in Clifton pulled shutters down on him when he approached
  • Gambling culture among City players, who didn't like Andy Cole not getting involved
  • Player called "Andy Dean" described as one of the big personalities in the City dressing room
  • City board didn't want to sell Andy Cole but Denis Smith did in order to re-build squad
  • Under Osman, he coached Allison on heading "he couldn't head the ball" prior to the Liverpool games
  • Was after several beers Osman asked him to come out of retirement to play CB at Stockport in the cup

"City board didn't want to sell Andy Cole but Denis Smith did in order to re-build squad".

Lee Johnson still carrying on the 'good work' .......................

:badmood:

tfj

Archived