IGNORED

Corner turned

Major Isewater

Well , a top performance at Newcastle has made many people talk of the corner being turned and LJ is ' In ' once again.

I don't want to diminish that effort , it took balls to go there and get something in front of fifty thousand Geordies and a team at the top of the League but now we must see the same levels of performance every week .

As someone posted on here it's a bit like the teams who up their game in the cup when playing Man Utd .

The standards have been set and we must not drop off because every match between now and the end of the season is a ' cup final ' .

We need to win nearly half of our remaining matches ,to get to 50 points,  something we've struggled to do since October last year so we are not out of the woods just yet .

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Far from convinced 50 points will be needed to stay up this year, usually it is a guarantee but you don't often need that many.

As little as 4 more wins might do it. Especially if we avoid hammerings.

We don't seem to be doing too well on the 'win' front, how about we draw every remaining game? We know that every goal we score will be countered by at least the same amount as our team seems to resemble a bunch of tired teddies after half time.

6 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

We don't seem to be doing too well on the 'win' front, how about we draw every remaining game? We know that every goal we score will be countered by at least the same amount as our team seems to resemble a bunch of tired teddies after half time.

The good news is, Burton, Wigan and Blackburn don't win many either! Only 2 of them need to remain as they are and Rotherham gone means we will scrape home.

We have winnable games at home especially which is what gives me a bit of hope- and the fact there are absolutely 3 worse sides than us, maybe 4.

43 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Well , a top performance at Newcastle has made many people talk of the corner being turned and LJ is ' In ' once again.

I don't want to diminish that effort , it took balls to go there and get something in front of fifty thousand Geordies and a team at the top of the League but now we must see the same levels of performance every week .

As someone posted on here it's a bit like the teams who up their game in the cup when playing Man Utd .

The standards have been set and we must not drop off because every match between now and the end of the season is a ' cup final ' .

We need to win nearly half of our remaining matches ,to get to 50 points,  something we've struggled to do since October last year so we are not out of the woods just yet .

I agree Major.

The next four games will really show where we are - Villa, Burton, Norwich, Wigan.

If we take a minimum of 7 points from these games, we will have taken a minimum of 13 points from our last 10 games which is mid-table form and not bad considering the run of tough games we've just had.

I appreciate it's an "if" because our previous 10 game form is 6 points.

But I think we can take at least 7 points from these next four games, and that would show a corner turned, by doubling our points from 6 points to 13 over a 10 game period.

I don't think we've turned any corner or even peeked around it TBH. Saturday was one of those occasional decent 45 /60 minutes that City put in now and again.

While I would be delighted to see a win tonight, or even a point, I fear the performance may return to the abject garbage we have seen far too often this season.

In all honesty, I would love to be proved wrong.

Johnson out.

35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Far from convinced 50 points will be needed to stay up this year, usually it is a guarantee but you don't often need that many.

As little as 4 more wins might do it. Especially if we avoid hammerings.

Yep, the number for the last ten years is much closer to 40. 

I think it is as simple as the team plays without fear away with verocious support but due to the ever-growing nasty atmosphere at the Gate - go in to their shells.

I fully expect another great performance tonight in front of good fans followed by rubbish on Saturday in front of some <insert your word here> !!

(cue: the we are the "bread and butter", we pay so can do what we want, the players are paid a fortune to perform type responses - probably from the same d!ck5 getting on the players backs from the first misplaced pass)

I still think the magic number is around 43. Form since December means we will be cutting it close. I don't know if we've turned a corner but I'd hope we could secure 11 points especially considering we play the two just under us. Granted they're away but if we don't lose them, we should be ok. We'll need 3 wins in other games which we should be able to do. It's hard for me to see us winless the rest of the year. 3 wins and 2 draws in 13 matches is still dreadful form and if we can't do that we deserve to go down

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

I think it is as simple as the team plays without fear away with verocious support but due to the ever-growing nasty atmosphere at the Gate - go in to their shells.

I fully expect another great performance tonight in front of good fans followed by rubbish on Saturday in front of some <insert your word here> !!

(cue: the we are the "bread and butter", we pay so can do what we want, the players are paid a fortune to perform type responses - probably from the same d!ck5 getting on the players backs from the first misplaced pass)

I agree at the moment they are probably more comfortable away. Though if they play as hard at home as they did at Newcastle, regardless of result, I'd be behind them. Don't mind quality being poor but should be working harder than the other side. 

26 minutes ago, Neo said:

Not wishing to cause a row Neo but why do you think those <insert your word heres> have become so disillusioned? Could it be the dreadful football on display? Lack of heart by SOME players? Ineptitude by our head coach?

I agree it's probably easier to play away from the Gate ATM by the way.

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Wellspokenman said:

Currently working in Birmingham ahead of the game tonight.

Only benefit is being surrounded by Villa fans who are more depressed than us... :facepalm:

Mind you - they do like "Mr shoot on site" Kodjia...

Draw beckons....

I was up there yesterday (bad planning) they certainly weren't very confident of facing us

Get in front and expect the crowd to turn

1 hour ago, Neo said:

The "ever growing nasty atmosphere" was non-existant months ago, when this poor run began. This team "went into their shells" long, long before the anti-LJ chants, chants which began second half v Rotherham and then were heard again last week.

So you and SL are going to need a different excuse to explain a club record run of consecutive league defeats, the loss at home to Brighton (when the atmosphere was excellent at kick off), and even the game before that when we performed so poorly v Blackburn. 

We performed well at home to Sheffield Wednesday recently, too, then sh1te four days later v Rotherham. 

The painful truth that some cannot face and want to avoid, is that we have not performed well all season - with a few exceptions, such as Derby away - even when picking up points in the autumn, as @Olé's excellent observations have highlighted, and once again, for what SL/we have put in, we are getting a very poor return out.

The "it's the crowd's fault" is apt for our times, and worthy of Donald Trump and his cronies

PS. We have won at home in front of our "nasty" and "negative" crowd, and away. Funny that.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Ever growing nasty atmosphere? These little poppets should be glad they don't play for a poor Newcastle team. 

They've had it easy from us.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I don't know of anyone that thinks a corner has been turned.  I don't think there has even been a check in the mirror or an indicator switch yet, let alone the actual manoeuvre. There are far too many variables to consider before anyone can think this was anything other than a welcome lucky break.  

1 hour ago, Doozerchris said:

I've been waiting since October..! With the current coach in place we WILL be relegated imo.  

I'm hoping , praying , Doozer that the players will grab the situation by the scruff of the neck and eek out enough points

what worries me is I'm not convinced that there are enough in number and in quality to form a core and do so - The very make up of the squad is likely to mean it's not one big happy group

1 hour ago, Bullbag said:

No corner turned.

Shipping goals like no tomorrow.

Having won one in 15 or 16 is it?

And now we need to win 4 or 5 out of 13?

Really hope we do but I just can't see it.

Johnson out.

Sad but true, the battle for safety will go on whatever happens tonight, we all hope for 4/6 pts from the next 2 games but we will see;

6 minutes ago, fishy said:

I don't know of anyone that thinks a corner has been turned.  I don't think there has even been a check in the mirror or an indicator switch yet, let alone the actual manoeuvre. There are far too many variables to consider before anyone can think this was anything other than a welcome lucky break.  

To be fair I don't think we can describe it as a lucky break

All have said just how much the players put into it - they got a reward in a point at least 

What @Major Isewater is rightly saying is - they've set the standard , certainly in terms of effort, running , commitment - they must sustain this 

No excuses , no hiding place now in those respects at least 

Yes, the players put in the commitment.  But once LJ has consulted the sorting hat to determine the starting 11 and formation for tonight it could be a very different set up.  Hence variables.  If commitment was all that was required to turn the corner I'd like to think that the players might have switched onto that about 2 months ago.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

:facepalm: Of course you are right Steve/Neo its the fans fault, did you go to Cardiff/Wembley ?

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

To be fair I don't think we can describe it as a lucky break

All have said just how much the players put into it - they got a reward in a point at least 

What @Major Isewater is rightly saying is - they've set the standard , certainly in terms of effort, running , commitment - they must sustain this 

No excuses , no hiding place now in those respects at least 

As usual Bob, I find myself agreeing with you. 

Archived