IGNORED

Lee Tomlin Big disappointment

Major Isewater

34 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You tell us what you think Tomlin's position is?

Central midfield?  Hmmmm. Does he tackle enough and get stuck in?

Top of a diamond?  Maybe, but him there leaves the midfield too open.

Wide left of midfield? Hmmm...wasted out there and doesn't track back enough....

I await your reply with interest. I'm sure others do as well.

Really?

In which case you should all get out a bit more.

22 minutes ago, Rascal said:

City fans laughed at Barnsley fans in summer when they said Conor Hourihane is better than him. Hahahahaha same with Flint and Mawson. 

You're comparing a proper central midfielder with an advanced midfielder that's a complete luxury. Tomlin is much more talented and on his day a better player, Hourihane was consistently good for you this season though, much like Tomlin was for us.

Difference is, we managed to attract Tomlin here permanently, whereas you lost Hourihane to a divisional rival for pennies.

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Really?

In which case you should all get out a bit more.

You critise the manager for not playing Tomlin in his "best position" yet offer no explanation as to what that best position is.

I happy to admit that I don't know what position he plays best........:dunno:

1 minute ago, 8MenWith1Dream said:

You're comparing a proper central midfielder with an advanced midfielder that's a complete luxury. Tomlin is much more talented and on his day a better player, Hourihane was consistently good for you this season though, much like Tomlin was for us.

Difference is, we managed to attract Tomlin here permanently, whereas you lost Hourihane to a divisional rival for pennies.

Hourihane is a all round midfielder, we'd be bottom of the league playing 442 with a player like you say he his, He was the definition of a box to box midfielder for us, much better then fat boy in every department,  

1 hour ago, Midred said:

Otib's insistence on buying him?

We only saw him play last season when we were on a good run, never saw him in the autumn  (2015) when we were struggling...

(Might have made the decision easier?)

To be fair he was one of the main reasons for that good run at the end of the season.

28 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Hourihane is a all round midfielder, we'd be bottom of the league playing 442 with a player like you say he his, He was the definition of a box to box midfielder for us, much better then fat boy in every department,  

You are utterly clueless. 

Now fek off and go and molest your whippets. 

9 minutes ago, Midred said:

I understand that but in that good run we didn't experience the problems that other clubs have had with him.

But that's Tomlin for you in a nutshell

Happy and being accommodated and ego polished he can be real quality - a game changer

Not happy etc etc - A complete passenger

From what I've seen over his career , whatever LT you are getting right now , don't take that as any indication of what he will be like in 3 / 6 / 12 months time 

Thats what he is and has always been - Put him in a top two / three side and where he has to turn it on to get a place he'd be far more consistent :whistle:

Probably too busy with his clothing brand at moment  !!

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

City fans laughed at Barnsley fans in summer when they said Conor Hourihane is better than him. Hahahahaha same with Flint and Mawson. 

Simple question ?

Why are you coming on here behaving like amoeba

Would you be on here if our league positions were reversed ?

Nah , didn't think so

Wind yer neck in or do one as far as I'm concerned 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

But that's Tomlin for you in a nutshell

Happy and being accommodated and ego polished he can be real quality - a game changer

Not happy etc etc - A complete passenger

From what I've seen over his career , whatever LT you are getting right now , don't take that as any indication of what he will be like in 3 / 6 / 12 months time 

Thats what he is and has always been - Put him in a top two / three side and where he has to turn it on to get a place he'd be far more consistent :whistle:

Probably too busy with his clothing brand at moment  !!

Is he doing a slim fit version of his clothing ?

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

The clamour to get him here , the memories of his contribution to our safety last season are all hazy memories as the guy can't even get in the first team on a regular basis.

How many can... I mean honestly what's LJ's starting 11.... 

With regards to Lee Tomlin, second highest goalscorer at the club, most assists and of his 23 shots this season only one has been off target.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

You tell us what you think Tomlin's position is?

Central midfield?  Hmmmm. Does he tackle enough and get stuck in?

Top of a diamond?  Maybe, but him there leaves the midfield too open.

Wide left of midfield? Hmmm...wasted out there and doesn't track back enough....

I await your reply with interest. I'm sure others do as well.

Tomlin was not bought for his tackling skills so this is irrelevant, by playing him at the top requires the other more defensive and certainly less creative midfielders to provide cover (not Tomlin's fault). This constant knocking of one of the division's most talented players is beyond me, I don't want a team of workaholic team players - we want entertainment and flair and yes to win games. Most managers would build a pattern of play around their best player - Messi doesn't tackle or track back and yes it is a relevant comparison because in his own way he is as talented (compared to the rest of OUR team only). I know it makes for idle chatter to constantly blame him for not scoring 6 and saving a penalty while we await kick-off but surely you would want someone with the vision to open up play and create goals from attacking midfield?

18 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Tomlin was not bought for his tackling skills so this is irrelevant, by playing him at the top requires the other more defensive and certainly less creative midfielders to provide cover (not Tomlin's fault). This constant knocking of one of the division's most talented players is beyond me, I don't want a team of workaholic team players - we want entertainment and flair and yes to win games. Most managers would build a pattern of play around their best player - Messi doesn't tackle or track back and yes it is a relevant comparison because in his own way he is as talented (compared to the rest of OUR team only). I know it makes for idle chatter to constantly blame him for not scoring 6 and saving a penalty while we await kick-off but surely you would want someone with the vision to open up play and create goals from attacking midfield?

Except Messi DOES put in defensive work. Just higher up the pitch- his defensive work in general is underrated and overlooked. Another thing to add is that in general, Barcelona see so much of the ball, so much of the play- that the defensive side, let alone of the forwards isn't always put under that much pressure, strain.

In a higher riding side, Tomlin would be a great asset- he could perhaps pull some things out of the bag in our current situation, but I wonder about his lack of defensive work in a relegation battling side.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Except Messi DOES put in defensive work. Just higher up the pitch- his defensive work in general is underrated and overlooked.

In a higher riding side, Tomlin would be a great asset- he could perhaps pull some things out of the bag in our current situation, but I wonder about his lack of defensive work in a relegation battling side.

Not sure how reliable this website is but I'll use it for both players - Messi averages 0.7 tackles a game and 0.2 interceptions. Tomlin is 0.5 for both. Now considering I was deliberately comparing Tomlin against the best attacker in the world - I think your argument falls apart (a little). I probably should have chosen a Championship player but the principle is the same his outstanding ability is at the top of the pitch.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

You critise the manager for not playing Tomlin in his "best position" yet offer no explanation as to what that best position is.

I happy to admit that I don't know what position he plays best........:dunno:

OMG this post is manner from Heaven, Robbored!

Since when was I criticising the Manager in my original post? I was highlighting the irony about everything that goes wrong including Lee Tomlin is usually blamed on LJ, SL & MA- all of whom , I think you'll find, I've been non critical to the point of happy clapping.

RR- you've been WHOOSHED by your own petard.

(I'm hoping this won't be the only result tonight)

13 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Since when was I criticising the Manager in my original post? I was highlighting the irony about everything that goes wrong including Lee Tomlin is usually blamed on LJ, SL & MA- all of whom , I think you'll find, I've been non critical to the point of happy clapping.

RR- you've been WHOOSHED by your own petard.

You wrote "a certain person" and to me that's LJ as he selects the team ( unless I'm mistaken of course.)

Anyway back to the question that you've avoided answering - where should Tomlin play?

4 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

For all the many players with 'great engines', a 'good eye for a short pass' and ability to 'do the simple stuff' ....it's the players that can do something magic I want to pay to watch.

I would rather turn up to watch a Tomlin, a JET, a Jackie, or a Trundle to deliver just a moment of magic over a team full of hard working Carlton bloody Palmers.....

in all my years watching not once did I call him Carlton bloody Palmer, thought his middle name started with an F and ended with a g and I think we had a foreign manager back then because I sure his name stated with a C and ended with a t but it wasn't Curt.

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You wrote "a certain person" and to me that's LJ as he selects the team ( unless I'm mistaken of course.)

Anyway back to the question that you've avoided answering - where should Tomlin play?

Tomlin should play in the park with his mates.

Archived