IGNORED

Giefer

Big Red Rich

18 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I refuse to believe that none of the goalkeepers we've ever been through are any good. 

I lie the blame firmly at the feet of what's in front of him and the coaching thereof. 

Remember when everyone thought Heaton was crap? 

We could have had Neuer in goal this season and we wouldn't be any better off.

Very harsh to blame a keeper for our issues at the moment. 

Heaton got voted player of the season so that's blatantly not true is it.

I remember saying when he joined Burnley that he'd play for England, and he did.

6 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Heaton got voted player of the season so that's blatantly not true is it.

I remember saying when he joined Burnley that he'd play for England, and he did.

Not saying much that season is it! Every time we conceded people were moaning at him even though he couldn't have done much about it with the ineptitude of our defence. 

Not saying Giefer is brilliant but like I said - we could have Neuer and we'd still be where we are. 

Really don't know what he's done to deserve all this. Our best player Saturday, according to the two Sunday papers I read. And didn't do too much wrong last night, that pass aside, and that didn't cost us. 

Flint lost his rag when he didn't play the ball out quickly when a Villa player was lying injured on the ground. The ref was always going to stop play anyway so really not sure why Flint was getting so wound up.

11 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I don't understand what people think he's done wrong, I think he looks by far the best keeper we've had in a while. Hasn't been responsible for any of the goals conceded and his kicking against Newcastle was spot on, found Wilbs consistently. In order to keep clean sheets you have to have an organised defence it's not just down to the keeper. How many clean sheets did Heaton keep when he played for us yet he's in the England set-up now.

Difference is, you could see and tell that Heaton was class. Absolutely brilliant between the sticks. Doesn't mean he can save every single one, that's the defence and midfields fault if they're not closing down. 

However against Fulham, Wednesday etc, he's looked incredibly dodgy. Couldn't even catch a cold. 

For someone of his height and experience, he should be so much more commanding of his area, and be able to at least catch! 

3 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

So why at Newcastle, did he catch EVERYTHING? 

This thread is a joke. Our team is full of errors, all over the park, yet we choose to make Giefer the scapegoat. 

Does our keeper fill you with confidence? 

If, like most of us, he doesn't, imagine what the shakey back 4 think aswell. 

I want him to do well, I want him to succeed and be amazing. Just can't see it happening, so regarding your 'this thread is a joke' comment, hardly, when the question has to be asked, who scouted him and brought him in if he's rubbish? 

1 hour ago, Akira said:

I want him to do well, I want him to succeed and be amazing. Just can't see it happening, so regarding your 'this thread is a joke' comment, hardly, when the question has to be asked, who scouted him and brought him in if he's rubbish? 

After seeing him in the flesh at Newcastle for the first time, I thought he did pretty damn well, and commanded his box better than I've seen from any City keeper this season. 

He's got a shower of **** playing in front of him, so I'm just curious as to why he needs to have a thread dedicated to him, when our whole back 4 could have individual threads too. 

And believe me, there's plenty I'd have to say about them. 

1 hour ago, Akira said:

Do you actually watch the games or just listen to the radio commentary? I actually go to the games and can't find any fault with Giefer other than he can't kick with his left foot.

5 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Do you actually watch the games or just listen to the radio commentary? I actually go to the games and can't find any fault with Giefer other than he can't kick with his left foot.

I think another weakness he has is he stays close to his line or 6 yard box. A few times I've seen both centre backs calling him to come and collect the ball. His starting point giving away the pen last night was an example.

9 minutes ago, cityshippers said:

I think another weakness he has is he stays close to his line or 6 yard box. A few times I've seen both centre backs calling him to come and collect the ball. His starting point giving away the pen last night was an example.

He can't be blamed for the pen, how could have he expected a backpass like that, Reid has to take the blame for that one.

4 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Awful Backpass from Reid, total hospital ball. 

Hospital ball from Reid??? Really????That doesnt sound anything like the sort of thing he does every single game he plays in.........but he's from the academy, he's sound and worth £5 million.

5 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

He can't be blamed for the pen, how could have he expected a backpass like that, Reid has to take the blame for that one.

As a keeper you should always be on your toes especially when Bobby Raid has the ball!

But my point stands generally so far he is a like for like replacement on what we had, perhaps he will improve in time. But what ever I don't think he will be here next season

He remains the best keeper we have (IMHO I would have stuck with ROD), has not done alot worng, certainly has not been as poor as FF or made the errors ROD did.

As with many others, I dont think its the keeper who is the problem, it the leaky defence

1 minute ago, cityshippers said:

As a keeper you should always be on your toes especially when Bobby Raid has the ball!

But my point stands generally so far he is a like for like replacement on what we had, perhaps he will improve in time. But what ever I don't think he will be here next season

I like Frankie but Giefer's obvious advantage is his height

14 hours ago, woodsy62 said:

All lee Johnson signings in January have not improved us bar (cotts ) is the only one to make any tiny difference

Cotts has made much more than a tiny difference, the only player who played yesterday who looked like he could create something

3 hours ago, Mr Hankey said:

Hospital ball from Reid??? Really????That doesnt sound anything like the sort of thing he does every single game he plays in.........but he's from the academy, he's sound and worth £5 million.

I like Reid, think he is a good player, our only creative midfield aside from Tomlin. 

11 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Yeah nice one. 

Course I go to the games. Away games not so much (finances). Does my opinion count now or not? 

The games I remember, Wednesday, he took a dodgy touch when passed back to him, player chased him down, and he kicked it against him, nearly scored. Completely needless, and one of many dodgy situations he puts himself in. 

Fulham, couldn't catch anything, always parried the ball (when he did manage to save a shot) and parried it right into the path of their striker, who put it just wide (in front of south stand, don't think he knew much about it). 

So I'm sorry if I don't seem as good a fan as your great self, but I do go to the games, and he doesn't feel me with any confidence whatsoever. 

6 hours ago, Akira said:

Yeah nice one. 

Course I go to the games. Away games not so much (finances). Does my opinion count now or not? 

The games I remember, Wednesday, he took a dodgy touch when passed back to him, player chased him down, and he kicked it against him, nearly scored. Completely needless, and one of many dodgy situations he puts himself in. 

Fulham, couldn't catch anything, always parried the ball (when he did manage to save a shot) and parried it right into the path of their striker, who put it just wide (in front of south stand, don't think he knew much about it). 

So I'm sorry if I don't seem as good a fan as your great self, but I do go to the games, and he doesn't feel me with any confidence whatsoever. 

OK, but there's a lot on here who don't go and give their opinions on Radio Bris commentary so was just checking. You have to remember when he first came into the side he'd only played 2 games in the last 2 seasons so had to be rusty, as well as not knowing his team-mates. He's definitely improving with every game and as for punching rather than catching that's the way they coach keepers on the continent, Basso was much the same in his time.

I can only judge him from the Newcastle game, but I thought he was one of our best players that day. I can't remember City having a goalkeeper that is confident in rushing out to collect the ball from crosses or when a ball was played over the top. What some people don't realise is that by doing that he scuppered a lot of Newcastle chances and took pace out the game. A lot of our previous keepers would have just stayed on their line and let the defence clean it up. Yes, he is going to have to end up punching of flapping at a few, but I much prefer a keeper that has the confidence to attempt to come out and collect loose balls.

His time wasting was also exceptional, fans started to notice it but didn't get booked because he was very subtle.

Seems like this is a scapegoat thread. Not exactly our biggest problem at the moment? Give the lad a chance.

Archived