IGNORED

Blaming the fans

Aipearcey

Am I missing something? In the last month both SL and now LJ have both come out and mentioned the fans when talking about the run were on. Now maybe it's just me, but I think considering this run has been going on for 5 months and only in the last couple of weeks have fans started to turn is totally disgraceful to us fans.

5 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

Am I missing something? In the last month both SL and now LJ have both come out and mentioned the fans when talking about the run were on. Now maybe it's just me, but I think considering this run has been going on for 5 months and only in the last couple of weeks have fans started to turn is totally disgraceful to us fans.

What has LJ said about the fans exactly?

Same. I'm slightly disappointed truth be told it's taken this long for the fans to actually find their voice in a game and voice their displeasure as the dross being served up. 

Most patient fans in the country I feel. And to take a swipe at us, the paying customer (urgh...) makes me even more angry about the set up and situation we find ourselves in. 

Who gas slated the fans though?  Is this purely based on comments "like we need to be united and pull together"?  Whilst there is implication there that we are not; it is a fairly obvious statement and nothing to get worked up about surely?

Fan power led to Keith Millen's exit, Bristol City chairman reveals

BRISTOL City chairman Colin Sexstone has admitted fan power was an overriding factor in the decision to sack Keith Millen as manager.

Millen lost his job on October 3 after a dismal start to the season, which saw the Robins win just one of their opening ten games and sink to the foot of the npower Championship.

Although majority shareholder Steve Lansdown and the board of directors were reluctant to rush into a change, their hand was eventually forced when the fans turned against the manager.

Frustrated at the team's failure to win a single home game, fans started to stay away, while an increasing number of those turning up at Ashton Gate began calling for the manager's head.

The clamour for Millen to go reached a crescendo after City's 5-0 defeat at Blackpool and Sexstone and his fellow directors acted decisively two days later.

In an exclusive interview with the Evening Post, Sexstone, pictured, said: "There were a number of factors that led us to our decision. We had a large squad and a number of players who did not figure in Keith's plans and that was becoming difficult to manage.

"But the biggest single reason was the fans turning against the manager. Clearly, Keith had lost the support of a majority of the fans.

"When that happens, it makes it very difficult for any manager to continue in the job.

"Fans pay their money and are entitled to have their say and it was clear they were unhappy at the direction things were going in.

"As a board of directors, we had to take that into consideration. It certainly was not a spontaneous decision, but we felt we had to make the change."

The 5-0 defeat to Blackpool at Bloomfield Road on October 1 proved the tipping point and Sexstone and his fellow board members took the decision to sack Millen 48 hours later, following consultation with chief investor Lansdown.

Sexstone said: "We're not a club that is prone to knee-jerk reactions, but we felt the time was right to make a change.

"The parting of the ways with Keith was a very difficult decision to make because he had been very loyal over a number of years, was an extremely popular figure within the football club and a very capable coach.

"Obviously, it is a results-driven business and we felt we had to do something after the very bad defeat at Blackpool. We were at the start of a two-week break for international matches and we felt that, if we were going to do it, we would have to do it at that point.

"We were quite a few games into the season and felt we needed a change of direction and a new voice."

In hindsight, Sexstone believes the decision to part company with Millen was the right one. New manager Derek McInnes, pictured, has provoked a transformation in fortunes which has seen City claim seven points from their last three games to climb off the bottom of the table and move to within three points of safety.

Sexstone said: "Derek is young and hungry and he has done everything we expected of him so far. It is still early days and this is going to be a long, hard season, but we are confident we have made the right appointment.

"He's been busy working out what his best format is and it has worked well so far. That often happens with a new manager, but there is more to it. There is more organisation and direction than before and the players are responding to that.

"It's a great start, but it is no more than that at the moment and, more than anyone else, Derek will be aware of that."

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/fan-power-led-keith-millen-s-exit-bristol-city/story-13797079-detail/story.html#12h5sk6e8adYFQPP.99

Bit different eh? Or perhaps a lesson for today!

3 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Well anyone from the club who slates us should **** off now and I mean ANYONE

Don't think anyone has slated anyone. We should be careful of taking things out of context. Lansdown's remarks were well intentioned but misguided. Don't think Johnson has said anything negative at al. 

8 minutes ago, Neo said:

Who gas slated the fans though?  Is this purely based on comments "like we need to be united and pull together"?  Whilst there is implication there that we are not; it is a fairly obvious statement and nothing to get worked up about surely?

Sill it's good for some to have ANOTHER thread to slate the manager....

Sorry, but overall, I think the majority of our fans are fairly fickle in nature. Could we have been more positive overall during our recent run and got behind the team more, yes we could.

When you go away like at Newcastle and you get amongst those most passionate about our club, it feels better and we've good number away which is a credit but at home, it's not good.

The atmosphere at the Gate is pretty awful to be fair and whilst it's better when we are winning, it's often like a library and people look at you strange when you try to get a song going?

I'm sure this just doesn't only relate to City and that it's only a handful of clubs seem to have much stronger support levels, especially when things aren't going well, but for me, City has more than it's share of people who enjoying moaning and who are fickle in nature...

Sorry but that's my view.

seems like any comment that can be taken out of context is.

its understandable but not helpfull.

i am a very silent senior supporter but this weekend and on tuesday I will be making more than my normal noise in the matches and will make it as positive as possible till the final whistle blows.

guess I am trying to say complain by all means but do it where it will not affect an already poor atmosphere

30 minutes ago, megansdad said:

Don't think either have blamed the fans. Most comment I have heard and seen has been about how excellent support has been.With the exception about comments on booing during Fulham game not being helpful. It wasn't.

Anything else "not been helpful" during this 4 month run of failure? Or is that it?

Because other than "Tomlin needs to buckle down" SL has not said a word about any reason why we have broken the club record for consecutive league defeats and slipped from 6th to joint third bottom. Not a bloody word.

The dissent began v Rotherham. What about all the sh1te for three months before that?

I will boo Saturday even if we beat Burton 10nil because it would just be papering over the cracks. A large majority of the fans have backed the team (me included) but maybe not the manager . There is a large number of players not trying don't care for whatever reason and if they don't like the atmosphere and booing try harder or another profession. I pay my money have had enough of the shower of xxxx on show and I'm making my feelings none this Saturday 

Blaming the fans? I know we're frustrated, but people these days are so quick to take offence.

SL's comments were logical and reasonable: it's harder for players in a game if they are being slated. Unless there's anyone out there who, when they go to work, does a better job if hundreds of people are howling and swearing at them. Anyone?

25 minutes ago, PFree said:

Sorry, but overall, I think the majority of our fans are fairly fickle in nature. Could we have been more positive overall during our recent run and got behind the team more, yes we could.

When you go away like at Newcastle and you get amongst those most passionate about our club, it feels better and we've good number away which is a credit but at home, it's not good.

The atmosphere at the Gate is pretty awful to be fair and whilst it's better when we are winning, it's often like a library and people look at you strange when you try to get a song going?

I'm sure this just doesn't only relate to City and that it's only a handful of clubs seem to have much stronger support levels, especially when things aren't going well, but for me, City has more than it's share of people who enjoying moaning and who are fickle in nature...

*NEENAR NEENAR NEENAR* *NEENAR NEENAR NEEENAR* *NEENAR NEEENAR NEENAR*

SUPERFAN ALERT. SUPERFAN ALERT. SUPERFAN ALERT. SUPERFAN ALERT.

I disagree in the what you have said, no other club in this country would have stayed as patient with this mess as our fans have. As much as i have moaned about our support, we are the only ones who can come out with any credit. Only over the past few games has the anger been vented (probably should of been sooner as it may of removed him by now) and even then the players have been supported. We have been plenty positive with the shite we have been served.

27 minutes ago, PFree said:

Completely agree with you.

I had a friend sit in the Dolman for the Fulham game (I'm in the atyeo), he stood and tried starting a song however he we shut down by numerous supporters around him, told to shut up and sit down.

Incredible.

27 minutes ago, PFree said:

I don't like people telling us how wonderful the fans of clubs like Newcastle are. I was there in April 1991 for a Second Division game (now Championship) for a 0-0 draw and 13,578 there. The home gate earlier in that season to see City win 1-0 was 15,858.

They are no different to any other club. When the rot sets into the team for several seasons, supporters find alternative ways of spending their time and money.

We've been very patient with this years candidate for "Clown of the Year" and are still pulling in the tenth highest average gate in this league. We don't score or concede the goals! 

43 minutes ago, megansdad said:

don't even think Lansdowns comments were anything other than accurate and honest. 

So we, the fans, aren't allowed to voice our displeasure? It wasn't 'during the game' either, it was immediately after Fulham strolled to their second goal while their players were celebrating. It was also a damn sight worse than that a few years ago!

If the dictator had been there, which he wasn't, he would have known that it wasn't 'during play'. I won't accept from him, or anyone, that we can't tell the board exactly what we think and that's one of very few ways. If the board don't listen, so be it but to blame supporters for that crap is bang out of order!

Carry on voicing displeasure as far as I'm concerned.

Possibly the most ignorant post I have seen on OTIB, and that is saying a lot. PFree is absolutely correct in what he says. Many of our fans are fickle, prone to pessimism and anxiety, and are liable to be very quiet, until we score. The away support is far better, and when you do go away to big clubs in the Midlands and North , it is clear that their support is more vociferous. As for saying , as cidered abroad, has said that Newcastle's fans are no better than any other club's- well, there were 52,000 there last Saturday , which is 9,000 more than our all time record gate! 

It is interesting that the vitriolic criticism of our players, manager and owner is not reflected in the support the team gets when playing away. There was no criticism of LJ at Newcastle, and very little at Aston Villa. 

The fans have an important role to play, as well as the players and manager. Small margins can make a big difference. People are entitled to their own opinions, but the same posters making the same negative points over and over again, sometimes or even hundreds of times is tiresome and unhelpful. 

If one player was to read some of the comments on this forum, and it adversely affected his performance by 1% , and as a consequence we were relagated by one goal, then it one could conclude that this forum made the difference. 

Some fans have even said they would prefer to lose against Burton , in this vital game, because LJ would be sacked- unbelievable.

10 minutes ago, Aberdeen Pete's Dad said:

Possibly the most ignorant post I have seen on OTIB, and that is saying a lot. PFree is absolutely correct in what he says. Many of our fans are fickle, prone to pessimism and anxiety, and are liable to be very quiet, until we score. The away support is far better, and when you do go away to big clubs in the Midlands and North , it is clear that their support is more vociferous. As for saying , as cidered abroad, has said that Newcastle's fans are no better than any other club's- well, there were 52,000 there last Saturday , which is 9,000 more than our all time record gate! 

It is interesting that the vitriolic criticism of our players, manager and owner is not reflected in the support the team gets when playing away. There was no criticism of LJ at Newcastle, and very little at Aston Villa. 

The fans have an important role to play, as well as the players and manager. Small margins can make a big difference. People are entitled to their own opinions, but the same posters making the same negative points over and over again, sometimes or even hundreds of times is tiresome and unhelpful. 

If one player was to read some of the comments on this forum, and it adversely affected his performance by 1% , and as a consequence we were relagated by one goal, then it one could conclude that this forum made the difference. 

Some fans have even said they would prefer to lose against Burton , in this vital game, because LJ would be sacked- unbelievable.

LJ will take us down, support or otherwise. 

57 minutes ago, Ireneisagavsgod said:

I will boo Saturday even if we beat Burton 10nil because it would just be papering over the cracks. A large majority of the fans have backed the team (me included) but maybe not the manager . There is a large number of players not trying don't care for whatever reason and if they don't like the atmosphere and booing try harder or another profession. I pay my money have had enough of the shower of xxxx on show and I'm making my feelings none this Saturday 

12 minutes ago, Aberdeen Pete's Dad said:

I go to away games burnley being the last one I never want us to lose ever I consider myself a vocal fan I all ways sing but I've had enough how much positive noise do you think Newcastle fans would make if they had been on a run like ours imo not a lot

43 minutes ago, Aberdeen Pete's Dad said:

If my post is the most ignorant post you've seen on OTIB, I would suggest you haven't been on here long and don't get to many matches WTGR.

Are we not allowed to tell the club our thoughts anymore then? I'm the same as many, I back the players but think the head coach is hopeless and if I want to tell him during a break in play, I damn well will! I know it's not PC in the lentil knitting liberal world of nowadays but I'm not so I will carry on thanks as will the gentlemen of various ages around me in B block of the Dolman.

as for wanting us to lose, no way, never! 

1 hour ago, Claude said:

I had a friend sit in the Dolman for the Fulham game (I'm in the atyeo), he stood and tried starting a song however he we shut down by numerous supporters around him, told to shut up and sit down.

Incredible.

Fake news, folks.

I've always felt City fans have been quite patient compared to other clubs in the division from what I've experienced, especially considering what we have to put up with most years.

However, the title is also hyperbole as the fans haven't been blamed for anything.

Archived