IGNORED

Blaming the fans

Aipearcey

For context, this thread gives me a chance to re-post a video of my "other" team a month ago.

Top of the league, in the cup, in the Champions League knock outs. And lost ONE away match.

A very good turnout by Newcastle fans against us. But they booed their team off at half time even when they are top of the league. We'd all like full houses every week but with the dismal record we have had for all of my lifetime, I think to be averaging nearly 20,000 is reasonable.

The reference back to the 1990's was simply to highlight that after many years in the doldrums, only 13,000 bothered to show up. If any of these "Big Clubs" had spent as much time in the Third Division as we have, what would their gates be like?

It's incredible being a City fan. 67 years with just two Third Division championships, eight promotions and an eighth relegation looming. Bouncing between second and third tiers, one good season in ten, we keep on turning up. And now the owner has subtly criticised us for booing and chanting "out" to his latest inept choice as our manager or head coach. This one has the worst run, 13 points out of 66, since I started in 1950. I imagined I would pass quietly away in the last minute of the winning game that took us to the Premiership title. My lifetime's dream fulfilled. But now it seems it will be against some nondescript third division side as we sink into the Fourth. No, I'll save my money and reduce my stress factors and walk along the beach at Brean with my best mate, my dog, on Saturday afternoons.

3 hours ago, megansdad said:

don't even think Lansdowns comments were anything other than accurate and honest. 

Indeed but then so was Gerald Ratner.

Lansdown's comments were unnecessary, unhelpful and insensitive. Notice how he's had plenty of advice for players and fans but precious little for his chum the manager - the one person who needs help the most.

He's an accident waiting to happen every time he opens his mouth in public quite frankly and I don't know why he bothers. He should stick to the stage-managed, pre-recorded PR fluff put out by Bristol Sport, although the one he did pre-season came across as smug and complacent in my eyes - in hindsight, a harbinger of trouble ahead. 

4 hours ago, megansdad said:

Don't think either have blamed the fans. Most comment I have heard and seen has been about how excellent support has been.With the exception about comments on booing during Fulham game not being helpful. It wasn't.

Overseeing our worst run of defeats in over a hundred years is less helpful though surely, so you can hardly blame the supporters for venting their feelings.  What is the alternative.?

1 hour ago, JHAGa said:

I've always felt City fans have been quite patient compared to other clubs in the division from what I've experienced, especially considering what we have to put up with most years.

However, the title is also hyperbole as the fans haven't been blamed for anything.

You understand the terms "implicit" and "explicit"?

HANG ON:

Does anyone actually have a quote that either SL or LJ said?

Did either say the fans are not entitled to criticise the club? Those actual words?

Because it looks like people are getting mighty worked up about something they 'think' has been said.

Happy to stand corrected, but....

5 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

HANG ON:

Did either say the fans are not entitled to criticise the club? Those actual words?

Because it looks like people are getting mighty worked up about something they 'think' has been said.

No, in fact Lansdown basically said by all means criticise the club or vent before or after the game, just get behind the team for 90 minutes.

I watched the youtube video a few times and SL didn't imply it was the fans fault... LJ recently has said the fans have been excellent and he understands the frustrations so again didn't imply it was the fans fault.

Unfortunately some repeat constantly that either did and it spreads like wildfire... same old crap with social media with some just happy to join the bandwagon (I know some who have without watching SLs interview) 

43 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Indeed but then so was Gerald Ratner.

Lansdown's comments were unnecessary, unhelpful and insensitive. Notice how he's had plenty of advice for players and fans but precious little for his chum the manager - the one person who needs help the most.

He's an accident waiting to happen every time he opens his mouth in public quite frankly and I don't know why he bothers. He should stick to the stage-managed, pre-recorded PR fluff put out by Bristol Sport, although the one he did pre-season came across as smug and complacent in my eyes - in hindsight, a harbinger of trouble ahead. 

Ratner said his products were crap, SL says "everything is working well" 

19 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

HANG ON:

9 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

No, in fact Lansdown basically said by all means criticise the club or vent before or after the game, just get behind the team for 90 minutes.

I watched the youtube video a few times and SL didn't imply it was the fans fault... LJ recently has said the fans have been excellent and he understands the frustrations so again didn't imply it was the fans fault.

Unfortunately some repeat constantly that either did and it spreads like wildfire... same old crap with social media with some just happy to join the bandwagon (I know some who have without watching SLs interview) 

Asked by Adam Baker to talk about the team and the "position we are in" Lansdown was able to find a positive, "looking on the positive, we're not in the relegation zone"

Invited to comment on the fans reaction and give a message to supporters, Lansdown could offer only negatives. He said the word "negative" three times. 

He chose to find a positive in his losing team, and he chose to find a negative about his crowd, turning up in numbers not seen in 37 years.

He chose to find something to pick at amongst the crowd but not the losing team or the failing coach. He could have said "when the crowd are behind the team, like they were v Wednesday, we can do this" but no, he picked out a negative.

It is not difficult to see this for what it is.

This was a calculated criticism of the crowd - note, there was no "some" of the crowd; only, "the crowd" - with Baker teeing up the assault. Why talk about the crowd at all? Because he has messed up, his coach has messed up, and his team have messed up. Basic, but transparent, distraction.

1 minute ago, Jack Dawe said:

Asked by Adam Baker to talk about the team and the "position we are in" Lansdown was able to find a positive, "looking on the positive, we're not in the relegation zone"

Invited to comment on the fans reaction and give a message to supporters, Lansdown could offer only negatives. He said the word "negative" three times. 

He chose to find a positive in his losing team, and he chose to find a negative about his crowd, turning up in numbers not seen in 37 years.

He chose to find something to pick at amongst the crowd but not the losing team or the failing coach. He could have said "when the crowd are behind the team, like they were v Wednesday, we can do this" but no, he picked out a negative.

This was a calculated criticism of the crowd - note, there was no "some" of the crowd; only, "the crowd" - with Baker teeing up the assault. Why talk about the crowd at all? Because he has messed up, his coach has messed up, and his team have messed up. Basic, but transparent, distraction.

He picked out the 'negative' because Fulham was fresh in the mind (2 days before). To me, he said nothing untoward about the fans, not even calculating so with respect, I can't agree with any of this statement. You have your view and this is mine

Its been a completely OTT reaction with some ridiculous vitriol aimed at the owner from across social media... which is pretty much unwarranted.

Look at the reaction to LJ making a couple of subs during the Rotherham game... Tomlin was useless and Tammy was ineffective so LJ made the changes and the reaction was ******* ridiculous.

5 hours ago, Aipearcey said:

Am I missing something? In the last month both SL and now LJ have both come out and mentioned the fans when talking about the run were on. Now maybe it's just me, but I think considering this run has been going on for 5 months and only in the last couple of weeks have fans started to turn is totally disgraceful to us fans.

Come on then, tell us how many times this has happened and when. It then allows us to know if you're just a shrinking violet or if this is a real grievance.

To a certain extent, this post seems to indicate that some City fans have joined the timid souls of the professionally offended? Wow, better raise this with the local rag.:sad26:

25 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Right! The plain fact is you could have a 27,000 full-house clapping and cheering every bloody pass for 90 minutes and this lot still wouldn't deliver the goods under LJ.

He's been given time, far more time than i can remember anyone in modern football getting (I'm talking about losing so many). He's turned us into a laughing stock and STILL his boss doesn't blame him he'd rather have a pop at us. Brilliant

Mad to think I was a "happy clapper" to many on here as recently as early Feb. Sometimes you just have to admit you were wrong.

14 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

He picked out the 'negative' because Fulham was fresh in the mind (2 days before). To me, he said nothing untoward about the fans, not even calculating so with respect, I can't agree with any of this statement. You have your view and this is mine

Its been a completely OTT reaction with some ridiculous vitriol aimed at the owner from across social media... which is pretty much unwarranted.

Look at the reaction to LJ making a couple of subs during the Rotherham game... Tomlin was useless and Tammy was ineffective so LJ made the changes and the reaction was ******* ridiculous.

Positive about the team; negative about "the crowd"

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

You understand the terms "implicit" and "explicit"?

I understand that SL saying negative chants during a game when the team is low on confidence aren't beneficial, isn't him or anyone else blaming the fans for where we are this season.

Message to SL

Fans of ALL clubs get onto their own team when they are and have been utter dogshite for months. It is just one of those things and no,it probably isn't "helpful" but it happens everywhere. And if that's unfair sorry, lots of things aren't fair, things like getting up every morning to go to work in a shop, an office or like me to drive a crummy van around all day. The fans have every right to moan and groan when you have let it get this bad.

12 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Positive about the team; negative about "the crowd"

I'm not trying to support SL here and i'm playing devil's advocate, not for the sake of it, but for the sake of balance.

This is all an interpretation of yours. He didn't say that fans can't complain. In fact he explicitly said, yes the fans are entitled to their opinions, and by all means complain before or after the game.

All he actually said there was a negativity at Ashton Gate which is true, right? We know why it is, Steve knows why it is. LJ knows why it is. The players know why.

But ultimately, and here is the crux for me and why I understand what he is trying to (pretty ill-advisedly though TBH) say:

The fans don't want City to go down. SL doesn't want City to go down. LJ doesn't want City to go down.

Yes we disagree with the chairman on how we go about not going down, but during game time, that doesn't matter.

The only thing that guarantees us staying up is points. Not sacking or keeping a manager. Not a new manager. Not a new player. Points. We all want the same thing.

So when it's game time the focus has to be on points and helping the team get them. Not on getting the manager sacked or anything else. Negativity doesn't help collect points.

I want points more than I want LJ or Gary Rowett or Neil Warnock, so come Saturday, whoever is stood on the touchline i'll be 'behind' them, because if i'm not it will not be helping us get those points we need.

All positivity used up for one day in one post. I need that beer.

45 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I'm not trying to support SL here and i'm playing devil's advocate, not for the sake of it, but for the sake of balance.

This is all an interpretation of yours. He didn't say that fans can't complain. In fact he explicitly said, yes the fans are entitled to their opinions, and by all means complain before or after the game.

All he actually said there was a negativity at Ashton Gate which is true, right? We know why it is, Steve knows why it is. LJ knows why it is. The players know why.

But ultimately, and here is the crux for me and why I understand what he is trying to (pretty ill-advisedly though TBH) say:

The fans don't want City to go down. SL doesn't want City to go down. LJ doesn't want City to go down.

Yes we disagree with the chairman on how we go about not going down, but during game time, that doesn't matter.

The only thing that guarantees us staying up is points. Not sacking or keeping a manager. Not a new manager. Not a new player. Points. We all want the same thing.

So when it's game time the focus has to be on points and helping the team get them. Not on getting the manager sacked or anything else. Negativity doesn't help collect points.

I want points more than I want LJ or Gary Rowett or Neil Warnock, so come Saturday, whoever is stood on the touchline i'll be 'behind' them, because if i'm not it will not be helping us get those points we need.

All positivity used up for one day in one post. I need that If he was finding negatives in his team/coach, as well as positives, and positives in his paying punters, as well as negatives, then fair enough. I might be able to hear it.

It's partly right, Alessandro. But there are positives about the crowd and the support this season, too, if you want to find them, but he opted to bring up a negative.

This is different to his statements about and attitude toward his head coach. 

Do people respond better to "don't" messages, or "do" ones?

6 hours ago, Neo said:

Who gas slated the fans though?  Is this purely based on comments "like we need to be united and pull together"?  Whilst there is implication there that we are not; it is a fairly obvious statement and nothing to get worked up about surely?

gas =has! And I agree with you comments

8 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

It's partly right, Alessandro. But there are positives about the crowd and the support this season, too, if you want to find them, but he opted to bring up a negative.

This is different to his statements about and attitude toward his head coach. 

Do people respond better to "don't" messages, or "do" ones?

As I said, it was a few ill-advised and not thought out enough sentences.

Tensions are so high all round and he should have phrased what I think, and hope, he was trying to say better.

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Lee Johnson said he was 'fed up with all the negativity' Post Fulham

Which I thought was a bit like a drug dealer moaning that he is fed up with Police attention 

He's been sampling his own product I think Bob.

Archived