IGNORED

Relegation the objective?

Big Red Rich

Many thoughts on this, I would hope not but I can sort of see that at least the budgets would be known.  Easier to hover around L1/Champ financially than to make a push to the premiership and fail.  That being said we've spent enough money even with the JK sale.

If that was the plan I'd like honesty rather than the Europe in 5 years BS which just makes us look like idiots.

Well SL said when he first backed LJ a few weeks ago that "relegation wasn't an option" yet at his business breakfast thingy he implied that it wouldn't be a disaster if we did go down as all the supporters would come back once we were winning again in League 1.

So Steve is relegation really an option that you consider acceptable or not? Your inaction to change things suggests that it is, whatever you might have said in the recent past.

45 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

No other reason for keeping Johnson IMO. Its been obvious for a while that hes out of his depth massively but it dawned on me today, is relegation wanted/expected? Is there a sinister plan were unaware of?

It was most definitely in the planning early on the last time we went down. I doubt it is this time although of course any number of conspiracy theories will now surface due to the inexcusable situation the club is in.

39 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Well SL said when he first backed LJ a few weeks ago that "relegation wasn't an option" yet at his business breakfast thingy he implied that it wouldn't be a disaster if we did go down as all the supporters would come back once we were winning again in League 1.

So Steve is relegation really an option that you consider acceptable or not? Your inaction to change things suggests that it is, whatever you might have said in the recent past.

Is that verbatim? Height of arrogance if so. Surely not?

9 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

It was most definitely in the planning early on the last time we went down. I doubt it is this time although of course any number of conspiracy theories will now surface due to the inexcusable situation the club is in.

Is that verbatum? Height of arrogance if so. Surely not?

I am only reporting what has been implied rather than hearing anything first hand. It may not be correct but I am not the first to have posted something similar on here.

Anyway inaction speaks louder than any words right now!

14 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Is that verbatim? Height of arrogance if so. Surely not?

Found a lot of quotes but not the video, anyone who was there confirm?  seems widely reported though.

2 hours ago, RumRed said:

Many thoughts on this, I would hope not but I can sort of see that at least the budgets would be known.  Easier to hover around L1/Champ financially than to make a push to the premiership and fail.  That being said we've spent enough money even with the JK sale.

If that was the plan I'd like honesty rather than the Europe in 5 years BS which just makes us look like idiots.

No,makes Lee look an idiot.......talk sport should ask him back next season when were 18th in league one-now that I would want to listen to...

• Admin
4 hours ago, Robin Ashton said:

Merger with the Gas , one team in Bristol : Bristol Sport FC...

Nothing would surprise me after seeing LJ keep his job, when there is little, if any, support for his continued employment amongst the paying and wider fan base.

The problem is now that we are in the bottom three with 11 games to go, and in dire form.  It's gonna take a big change and results against Wolves, Wigan and Blackburn.  A point against those might have been fine had we been a few points clear.  We are the team playing catch-up.

I heard the rumour (again) yesterday that if we are in the bottom 3, SL can sack LJ without paying up his contract.  Personally, I think it's bollocks.  If it is true then SL is taking a huge gamble with our club, which I don't think is forgivable. 

Anyone remember the film Trading Places?

10 hours ago, RumRed said:

Taking on youngsters or unknown's and playing them regularly in the Championship is going to net the club much more money than doing the same in the Third Division ( let's not dress it up ! )

1 hour ago, Robin Ashton said:

A merger would fit the no future transfers between the City and Rovers agreement.

The time for a " merger " was when the Gas were at rock bottom with Higgs. A Conference club in debt and trouble isn't the same prospect as a settled League One club with a business plan .

9 hours ago, RumRed said:

Found a lot of quotes but not the video, anyone who was there confirm?  seems widely reported though.

I was at the presentation. It was a public event with the press and TV present so I am not giving any secrets away. SL was asked a specific question about how relegation would affect the club's business plan. He acknowleged that it would have an adverse affect. However he also said that this would be less if we were pressing for promotion from league one as this would cause the attendances to hold up better.  Common sense really. 

47 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The time for a " merger " was when the Gas were at rock bottom with Higgs. A Conference club in debt and trouble isn't the same prospect as a settled League One club with a business plan .

Completely agree.

Even at both clubs darkest hours 1982 for you and 2014 for us, a Bristol merger would never happen and if it had both sets of fans would just reform there respected clubs.

Bristol Rovers fc are no longer ragbag Rovers any longer.Ok we still have our tents (for now - :laugh:) but we are a quite impressively run football club that is growing daily both on and off the field.Our board are running us in such a classy,professional and logical way, building us from the ground up by getting the infrastructure of our club in place which we have NEVER had in our history.

There is a very strong possibility that Bristol Rovers could well be a top,or at very least a solid championship club in five years time,while you could keep repeating this madness of being this yoyo club which you are today...which is insane given the resources at your club today.

From the outsider point of view something is fundamentally wrong to the core of your club which hasn't changed given all the cash SL has spent on you over the years,and regardless of your new stands.

Question is what is this?

45 minutes ago, icegas said:

Completely agree.

Even at both clubs darkest hours 1982 for you and 2014 for us, a Bristol merger would never happen and if it had both sets of fans would just reform there respected clubs.

Bristol Rovers fc are no longer ragbag Rovers any longer.Ok we still have our tents (for now - :laugh:) but we are a quite impressively run football club that is growing daily both on and off the field.Our board are running us in such a classy,professional and logical way, building us from the ground up by getting the infrastructure of our club in place which we have NEVER had in our history.

There is a very strong possibility that Bristol Rovers could well be a top,or at very least a solid championship club in five years time,while you could keep repeating this madness of being this yoyo club which you are today...which is insane given the resources at your club today.

From the outsider point of view something is fundamentally wrong to the core of your club which hasn't changed given all the cash SL has spent on you over the years,and regardless of your new stands.

Question is what is this?

"The Core of our club" that is SL he will do things his way and will answer to no-one.

5 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

We're not down yet,some of us haven't thrown in the towel

and that will be the next of the clubs spiel, some fans continue to have faith in what we are trying to do (but fail to mention now it seems like most fans think LJ should be long gone as he is simply not managing his squad, only to a record of absolutely rubbish results)

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

What have you seen that suggests with the current setup we're going to climb from the mire out of interest?

Results have improved (admittedly from a poor base) since the January transfers came in, and I anticipate Tammy scoring a few when he comes back. Also, our luck must turn some time, scored a perfectly good goal yesterday, the fact we didn't win mainly down to the ref imo

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

That would've been the wrong time because the rules state that when there is a merger between two clubs the newly formed club must play in the division the lowest of the two clubs was playing in.

2 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Results have improved (admittedly from a poor base) since the January transfers came in, and I anticipate Tammy scoring a few when he comes back. Also, our luck must turn some time, scored a perfectly good goal yesterday, the fact we didn't win mainly down to the ref imo

Fair enough, I'm just not convinced we'll see Tammy in the shirt again.  Only my opinion.

5 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

It is illuminating that normally there would be posts galore regarding the ref yesterday and that disallowed goal, but because of the need to get rid of our head coach it barely warrants a mention as that would make it seem like LJ had been very unlucky not to have obtained a win so doesn't fit with the agenda.

3 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

It is illuminating that normally there would be posts galore regarding the ref yesterday and that disallowed goal, but because of the need to get rid of our head coach it barely warrants a mention as that would make it seem like LJ had been very unlucky not to have obtained a win so doesn't fit with the agenda.

He was shocking, but it wasn't a great display from us either.  Agree, a 1-0 win, like Rotherham, is what it's all about now.  We can play crap and scrape 3 or 4 1-0 wins, we might stay up.

3 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Mods, can you do that spelling correction thing please?  I'd like to suggest replacing the word 'agenda' with 'please ignore this post'.

Thanks! 

Archived