IGNORED

Lansdown Out

DaveInSA

1 hour ago, Calculus said:

Ridiculous.

Lansdown had invested time, money and emotion for this club and he's a genuine fan. Ok, things aren't great right now but am certain that he's as hurt as anybody here.  

Hope you feel them same way when we've been bought by Nick Higgs or some Tan-like figure and are playing in blue and white quarters.

Genuine question: Is it an urban myth that he tried to buy his way into the Rovers?

If not then fair enough but if so, not the behaviour of a genuine City fan imo

Not saying Lansdown out incidentally although he is annoying the **** out of me at present.

13 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Genuine question: Is it an urban myth that he tried to buy his way into the Rovers?

If not then fair enough but if so, not the behaviour of a genuine City fan imo

Not saying Lansdown out incidentally although he is annoying the **** out of me at present.

100% true he was gashead but not sure in the investment. I have heard Dunford rejected his attempts but not sure if true. 

He begins with a revelation of some note. He was once a Bristol Rovers fan. Geography (his boyhood in Tockington) saw to that and as a lad you could have found him on match days in the Tote End, at Eastville.

His allegiance to Bristol City was prompted by his son, Jon. At the age of six, he asked Steve to take him to a football match - a Bristol City football match. Which is where that first client of his, Des, comes in.

"When my boy wanted to start watching football, Rovers were playing at Twerton Park and there was no way I was going to go there. So, as I knew Des, we got a couple of tickets to go and watch City against Bury. They won one-nil and Dave Smith, I believe, scored the goal. We were hooked. We started going down for the odd games, then we got a season ticket for the Williams Stand."

5 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I've not heard this, but realistically speaking it could have only happened before his city association.

Go to Horefield and wave a fiver in the air. Then look down to where your arm used to be. In other words, I think it must have been a myth.

3 minutes ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

100% true. 

He begins with a revelation of some note. He was once a Bristol Rovers fan. Geography (his boyhood in Tockington) saw to that and as a lad you could have found him on match days in the Tote End, at Eastville.

His allegiance to Bristol City was prompted by his son, Jon. At the age of six, he asked Steve to take him to a football match - a Bristol City football match. Which is where that first client of his, Des, comes in.

"When my boy wanted to start watching football, Rovers were playing at Twerton Park and there was no way I was going to go there. So, as I knew Des, we got a couple of tickets to go and watch City against Bury. They won one-nil and Dave Smith, I believe, scored the goal. We were hooked. We started going down for the odd games, then we got a season ticket for the Williams Stand."

That doesn't actually explain that he tried to buy into Rovers though does it? 

For me there are two questions -

Could things be better? Yes.

Could things be worse? Absolutely. I think the current situation is making people question far too much. A typical over reaction.

SL cares about the club and cares about Bristol. Has he made mistakes? Yes. Would he have done things differently, he has admitted yes. I understand the frustration with him, i'm frustrated right now, but I don't understand the suspicion that some people have for his motives. I don't go in for the disdain towards Bristol Sport, I don't really think it effects us as much as people think. That's my opinion. Those who think he is taking money out of the club? Nonsense. Just read our financial statements. How can you take money out of the club when our costs are more than our revenue?

We were 90 minutes from the premier league under SL. If we had got over the line, we may well not be having this conversation. If SL had picked a more successful manager this time round, we may well not be having this conversation at all. He has invested in the club, top to bottom. Stadium, facilities, players. He just got the manager wrong this time. But we got it right with GJ and SC and i'm sure we will get it right again. 

If's and but's. But most importantly, if the main thing we have to put up with from our owner is picking bad managers and sticking by some for too long, then frankly we are pretty lucky. Just ask Sunderland, Coventry, Portsmouth, Leyton Orient, Blackpool, QPR, Cardiff, Leeds, Blackburn, Forest, Bolton, Charlton, MK Dons, Darlington. The list goes on. Yes some of the teams may be above us in the league pyramid, but regardless of league position, in so many ways we are in a more stable position off the field than so many clubs above us. I think over the next 5 years, the work the club has been putting in over the last few years will really show. We just need the right manager and having the wrong one is blurring people's perspective.

13 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I've not heard this, but realistically speaking it could have only happened before his city association.

Go to Horefield and wave a fiver in the air. Then look down to where your arm used to be. In other words, I think it must have been a myth.

In my head I'm imagining the minimal patch as a walking dead style zombie nest, with the allure of flesh to the zombies being replaced by the lust for real, tangible money that gasheads have. 

"You bastard! You bit my arm off!"

"Moneyyyyyyyyy...urghh" *groans*

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I laughed. 

SL is a good bloke, just not having a good time of it right now!

His exceptionally poor judgement is what doesn't bode well for the future. Glimmers of progress can easily be snuffed out when someone in charge is so fallible. 

I genuinely don't know what people want as an alternative to SL?

You won't find anyone who will readily invest money as him.

The only thing you can really knock him for is not sacking LJ (if that's your stance). The rest of the anti SL nonsense baffles me.

Id love someone to explain how we'd be better off without him.

1 minute ago, bcfcRobbo said:

The only thing you can really knock him for is not sacking LJ (if that's your stance). The rest of the anti SL nonsense baffles me.

I think what is is worrying people is that his decision making is a downright liability. And his consideration of fans views appears to be at an all time low. 

Is SL likely to bring us sustained success? Unlikely. 

35 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

For me there are two questions -

Could things be better? Yes.

Could things be worse? Absolutely. I think the current situation is making people question far too much. A typical over reaction.

SL cares about the club and cares about Bristol. Has he made mistakes? Yes. Would he have done things differently, he has admitted yes. I understand the frustration with him, i'm frustrated right now, but I don't understand the suspicion that some people have for his motives. I don't go in for the disdain towards Bristol Sport, I don't really think it effects us as much as people think. That's my opinion. Those who think he is taking money out of the club? Nonsense. Just read our financial statements. How can you take money out of the club when our costs are more than our revenue?

We were 90 minutes from the premier league under SL. If we had got over the line, we may well not be having this conversation. If SL had picked a more successful manager this time round, we may well not be having this conversation at all. He has invested in the club, top to bottom. Stadium, facilities, players. He just got the manager wrong this time. But we got it right with GJ and SC and i'm sure we will get it right again. 

If's and but's. But most importantly, if the main thing we have to put up with from our owner is picking bad managers and sticking by some for too long, then frankly we are pretty lucky. Just ask Sunderland, Coventry, Portsmouth, Leyton Orient, Blackpool, QPR, Cardiff, Leeds, Blackburn, Forest, Bolton, Charlton, MK Dons, Darlington. The list goes on. Yes some of the teams may be above us in the league pyramid, but regardless of league position, in so many ways we are in a more stable position off the field than so many clubs above us. I think over the next 5 years, the work the club has been putting in over the last few years will really show. We just need the right manager and having the wrong one is blurring people's perspective.

Because fans are rightly p1ssed off with the on field activity ,you know we will not end up like say Bolton, who were  financially stuffed, and almost every club in the country would cry out for a SL.   The reaction is to 'lash out' without engaging brain.

People ought to consider it or end up with a Malaysian flag flying over the West stand, or the fun and games at Hull, or the other clubs above.  

1 minute ago, DT The Optimist said:

Because fans are rightly p1ssed off with the on field activity ,you know we will not end up like say Bolton, who were  financially stuffed, and almost every club in the country would cry out for a SL.   The reaction is to 'lash out' without engaging brain.

People ought to consider it or end up with a Malaysian flag flying over the West stand, or the fun and games at Hull, or the other clubs above.  

Absolutely mate. Football is slowly losing it's soul all over the country.

As I said, could things be better? But things could be a whole lot worse, having a local owner who cares about the club is a great place to start.

3 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

People are asking him to replace one of the poorest managers in our history who is showing  no sign of improving. 

SL has not justified to us his faith in him. Until he can explain, without soundbites and vague statements,  we will not trust him or believe things will turn around. 

Seems reasonable. 

1 hour ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

No it hasn't

I didn't realise the team name changed, the identity remains the same... so what if its incorporated under the BS umbrella? Off the field the club is in a better position than it was 10 years ago, its a more attractive proposition for corporate, whether you like it or not (I'm not exactly enamoured with it either) its whats happening. He wants it to be a sustainable club to make its own money rather than him pumping his own money on a constant basis.

One thing though, I don't see SL trying to change the football teams colours (Tan) at home or proposing changing the team name to Bristol City Robins (Allam with Hull) 

You think clubs like Barcelona and Olympiakos have lost the identity of their football club which is based on the same model that Lansdown is trying to emulate? No they haven't and nor has City

This is not a Mr Lansdown out post, but the section of your post I have highlighted is a nonsense.

Bristol Sport is clearly not based on the Barcelona model, and almost certainly never will be. They are opposites,

52 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

SL cares about the club and cares about Bristol. Has he made mistakes? Yes. Would he have done things differently, he has admitted yes. I understand the frustration with him, i'm frustrated right now, but I don't understand the suspicion that some people have for his motives. I don't go in for the disdain towards Bristol Sport, I don't really think it effects us as much as people think.

Would you like to answer the ?'s directed to yourself regarding Bristol Sport and the Community Trust in another thread - Bristol Sport has reduced the footprint of the Community Trust in the community.

43 minutes ago, bcfcRobbo said:

Okay let's look at the facts.

He has appointed the following

Danny Wilson

Tins

Gary Johnson

Steve Coppell

Keith Millen

Derek McInnis

Sean O'Driscoll

Lee Johnson

Out of those the only one that really brought us any tangible success playing decent football was Gary Johnson!

It was Keith Dawes relationship with Steve Cotterell that saw him appointed.

The man may be minted and hailed as a successful businessman based on his cumulative wealth but dig a little bit deeper and you'll find it was PH who was the real driving force behind that success.

We have a shiny new stadium but as far as I'm concerned he has not the slightest acumen whatsoever when it comes to running a football club.

Just take a look at what Tony Bloom has done for Brighton and with a fraction of the wealth. Also a lifelong fan who at times can be found on a train with the fans travelling to or from away games. There are plenty of other options that don't have to result in us being owned by a faceless family in India or the craziness of Mr T at Cardiff.

People seem blinded when it comes to billionaires because it's so incomprehensible whereas there are numerous great chairman out there with a personal wealth of around the £150 million mark

I have absolutely no idea whether we have fans of this club who are in this bracket, but don't kid yourself that SL is our only option

2 hours ago, BCFChayden said:

You slate SL but with out his investment over the years I wonder where we would be. Blokes a masterclass

A masterclass? In what? Not running a football club that's for certain.

Whst have we really achieved since we've been so lucky to have him?

The only one to benefit is Lansdown himself. I wish he'd never been involved, or perhaps as involved as he has bean.

1 minute ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

A masterclass? In what? Not running a football club that's for certain.

Whst have we really achieved since we've been so lucky to have him?

The only one to benefit is Lansdown himself. I wish he'd never been involved, or perhaps as involved as he has bean.

We ever been in debt? Horribly?? The money he invested into the stadium, training facilities. Bristol sport will be a earner I promise you that. It's a new thing, trial and error as they say. 

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Would you like to answer the ?'s directed to yourself regarding Bristol Sport and the Community Trust in another thread - Bristol Sport has reduced the footprint of the Community Trust in the community.

Hi Cowshed. I don't work for the community trust or really know anything about it, so I can't really answer your question mate. It's a shame if that's true.

22 minutes ago, RaspberryRed said:

Okay let's look at the facts.

He has appointed the following

Danny Wilson

Tins

Gary Johnson

Steve Coppell

Keith Millen

Derek McInnis

Sean O'Driscoll

Lee Johnson

Out of those the only one that really brought us any tangible success playing decent football was Gary Johnson!

It was Keith Dawes relationship with Steve Cotterell that saw him appointed.

The man may be minted and hailed as a successful businessman based on his cumulative wealth but dig a little bit deeper and you'll find it was PH who was the real driving force behind that success.

We have a shiny new stadium but as far as I'm concerned he has not the slightest acumen whatsoever when it comes to running a football club.

Just take a look at what Tony Bloom has done for Brighton and with a fraction of the wealth. Also a lifelong fan who at times can be found on a train with the fans travelling to or from away games. There are plenty of other options that don't have to result in us being owned by a faceless family in India or the craziness of Mr T at Cardiff.

People seem blinded when it comes to billionaires because it's so incomprehensible whereas there are numerous great chairman out there with a personal wealth of around the £150 million mark

I have absolutely no idea whether we have fans of this club who are in this bracket, but don't kid yourself that SL is our only option

Spot on - as I think you said in the "Who to blame" post.

I asked that question to see if those who think Lansdown is the best thing to happen to the club would come forward.

Too subtle for them. I should have started that thread like this one. I'd love to see the back of the bloke.

Under Lansdown Bristol City Football Club has achieved **** all.

Yes a promotion. Yes a few play off final appearances (I can hear you Lansdown Luvvers saying now about only a Windass away from the Premier League). But what else? That's truly tangible to BCFC.

Then again look at the msn himself and Pula Sports. Oh yes. Very nice thank you.

And I'm guessing even better than whatever that mysterious balance sheet might show. How about land acquisition under the guise of Ashton Vale and other sites around Winterstoke Road.

4 minutes ago, BCFChayden said:

We ever been in debt? Horribly?? The money he invested into the stadium, training facilities. Bristol sport will be a earner I promise you that. It's a new thing, trial and error as they say. 

Precisely. Bristol Sport. I've only ever been interested in BCFC.

I'm not blinded by the lure of a multi purpose cash cow that really only truly benefits Lansdown,

Give me the days when we only had football to look forward to. When Ashton Gate belonged to BCFC. When we had managers and players who cared and gave there all.

Not the shit that gets churned out week after week. On the pitch and off it.

Archived