IGNORED

Lansdown Out

DaveInSA

8 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

But they aren't all the alternatives are they. We can't just blindly assume it's got to be Lansdown or Terrible.

Not about blindingly assuming, its seeing with your own eyes whats happening to other clubs... identity changes, name changes, colour changes and so on...

I'm sure their are good owners but for me Lansdown is one of those people and that is why I'd rather stick with him.

2 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Not about blindingly assuming, its seeing with your own eyes whats happening to other clubs... identity changes, name changes, colour changes and so on...

I'm sure their are good owners but for me Lansdown is one of those people and that is why I'd rather stick with him.

I was going to add, lets hope the rugby team gives something to cheer, but I've just seen the HT score ! 

55 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Can you imagine someone with Steve Lansdown's money who cares about the club as much as he does?  We're having a tough season, but where would we be now without Steve Lansdown?

Cares about the club? Which one?

Basketball?

Rugby?

Badminton?

The Clansdown club?

Not the ducking football club. He's ******* ruining it.

Who would buy the club? 

There are very few fans who know how the financial workings of any FC work and managed. It's even more complicated now with the Bristol Sport ........

Sooner or later SL will employ the right manager to take the club forward. He still thinks that that man is LJ and if City avoid the drop he may turn out to be right.

1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

I just thought I'd post this for a laugh but....

...has anyone thought of this? My feeling is that we have made zero progress in real terms in the Lansdown era. We don't own Ashton Gate. We ping pong along, managers, divisions etc. Where is the HARD DATA that we have made progress in the new millennium? 

We are no better off than when he took over, the football club don't own the stadium now.

There's been one common denominator since 'trust me on Tinion' and that's SL.

42 minutes ago, Warwickshire Red said:

It's possible. We were competing with Stoke City in 2008. They got promoted and have stayed there.

They seems to have a good chairman/owner in Peter Coates and not dissimilar to SL in being a local boy and in wealth (though combined Coates family wealth is quite a bit more).

We just seem to keep shooting ourselves in the foot. As SL keeps making poor appointments, he needs to ask himself whether that responsibility should be given to someone else.

So can i just get this right? When Peter Coates appoints Pulis then it's a good appointment and when we do it it's a disaster. Just want to know what the rules are, that's all...

#moaningforthesakeofit

16 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Yeh our identity hasn't been attempted to have been changed by SL has it?

I must have dreamt up this Bristol Sport, you can't even buy tickets from Bristol City anymore, all must be done via Bristol Sports site. 

Our identity has been changed. We have a matching kit with rugby to boot. We are a sporting franchise now, not a football club. 

I don't get this we are no better off than when he first arrived rubbish. 

I'd only agree with that if we were still a league 1 club that constantly finished say around 14-7 in the same stadium. 

We've enjoyed two promotions, one with a league title, a cup win, a fantastic season that ended just 90 mins from the Prem. More seasons in the Championship than League 1. And a fantastic re-developed stadium. 

No team has a divine right to anything but to say SL's tenure has been a failure is daft imo. 

No way , We are very lucky to have a chairman like Steve lansdown ,look at the issues clubs like Forest , Cardiff, Blackpool and even Birmingham have had! 

Of course he has made mistakes (but haven't we all) but most of the managers  Lansdown has appointed have been approved by the majority of supporter's except for Cotterill ( probably his most successful appointment) so maybe he thought he had some kind of justification for appointing Johnson.

4 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

I don't get this we are no better off than when he first arrived rubbish. 

I'd only agree with that if we were still a league 1 club that constantly finished say around 14-7 in the same stadium. 

We've enjoyed two promotions, one with a league title, a cup win, a fantastic season that ended just 90 mins from the Prem. More seasons in the Championship than League 1. And a fantastic re-developed stadium. 

No team has a divine right to anything but say SL's tenure has been a failure is daft imo. 

Not to mention the improved training facilities!

4 minutes ago, Calculus said:

So can i just get this right? When Peter Coates appoints Pulis then it's a good appointment and when we do it it's a disaster. Just want to know what the rules are, that's all...

#moaningforthesakeofit

I didn't mention Pulis but seeing as you did, his record there wasn't too bad; over 7 years won more than he lost with promotion to the PL in his first spell (GJ couldn't quite do it that year). Think that's a bit better than LJ promises to do. Stoke have also retained their PL status ever since and have become almost PL perennials. 

I'm just getting a bit tired of poor appointment after poor appointment (many with no objective basis on which to recommend them) and we don't seem to learn. It's not moaning, just my view. 

Tony Pulis Manager Statistics

Nationality: Welsh

Date of Birth: 16th January 1958

Tony Pulis has managed 1,004 games for 8 club(s) and has 2 honours to his name.

Honours: Promotion to Football League Second Division 1995-96 with Gillingham; Promotion to Premier League 2007-08 with Stoke City.

Club From Until Hons Games per Honour W D L Total Win%
Gillingham 1995 1999 1 216 94 62 60 216 43.52
Crystal Palace 2013 2014 0 n/a 12 6 11 29 41.38
Stoke City 2006 2013 1 333 122 98 113 333 36.64
Stoke City 2002 2005 0 n/a 47 32 52 131 35.88
West Bromwich Albion 2015 Now 0 n/a 27 25 29 81 33.33
Portsmouth 2000 2000 0 n/a 11 10 14 35 31.43
Plymouth Argyle 2005 2006 0 n/a 12 15 12 39 30.77
Bristol City 1999 2000 0 n/a 10 14 9 33 30.30
AFC Bournemouth 1992 1994 0 n/a 31 38 38 107 28.97

4 minutes ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

Yeh our identity hasn't been attempted to have been changed by SL has it?

I must have dreamt up this Bristol Sport, you can't even buy tickets from Bristol City anymore, all must be done via Bristol Sports site. 

Our identity has been changed. We have a matching kit with rugby to boot. We are a sporting franchise now, not a football club. 

No it hasn't

I didn't realise the team name changed, the identity remains the same... so what if its incorporated under the BS umbrella? Off the field the club is in a better position than it was 10 years ago, its a more attractive proposition for corporate, whether you like it or not (I'm not exactly enamoured with it either) its whats happening. He wants it to be a sustainable club to make its own money rather than him pumping his own money on a constant basis.

One thing though, I don't see SL trying to change the football teams colours (Tan) at home or proposing changing the team name to Bristol City Robins (Allam with Hull) 

You think clubs like Barcelona and Olympiakos have lost the identity of their football club which is based on the same model that Lansdown is trying to emulate? No they haven't and nor has City

10 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

No it hasn't

I didn't realise the team name changed, the identity remains the same... so what if its incorporated under the BS umbrella? Off the field the club is in a better position than it was 10 years ago, its a more attractive proposition for corporate, whether you like it or not (I'm not exactly enamoured with it either) its whats happening. He wants it to be a sustainable club to make its own money rather than him pumping his own money on a constant basis.

One thing though, I don't see SL trying to change the football teams colours (Tan) at home or proposing changing the team name to Bristol City Robins (Allam with Hull) 

You think clubs like Barcelona and Olympiakos have lost the identity of their football club which is based on the same model that Lansdown is trying to emulate? No they haven't and nor has City

Really, the Barcelona claptrap being spouted again, check the ownership structure of our club vs Barcelona, very different. BCFC (1982) Ltd vs purchasing membership, 

Both Real Madrid and FC Barcelona are owned by their club supporters. It's not one or two or few people that own these clubs. They have hundred of owners. They are called socios. Unlike most of the teams in football leagues, Barca and Real are few of the clubs that are owned and run completely by their loyal fans. Barcelona has close to a 100,000 club members who are responsible for electing the Barca board and the club president. Real Madrid is run the same way. Think of it as a large corporation with hudreds of stockholders. Surprisingly, both clubs are extremely well run and rake in multimillion dollars every year in revenue. They are also popular for buying great football players paying outrageous money.

4.2k Views · View Upvotes · Answer requested by

5 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Seeing as the rugby merged with FC Barcelona in that instance almost 100 years ago I honestly wouldn't know. 

Olympiakos sporting club were founded as an athletics (Olympics) and football club, so not too sure what your point is with them as that is their identity and it hasn't been changed. The clue is literally in their name. 

For me, SL is a safe pair or hands in the sense that he would never allow us to run into financial difficulties or make any changes that would destroy our identity ( people are going on about the whole Bristol Sport thing, but imho thats only because of our form... If we were doing well, nobody would be talking about it)

However, the likelyhood of us ever making significant progress under SL is looking more and more unlikely. He cannot form a structure that allows the club to function well or appoint the right people in the right positions. His decisions are becoming more and more bizarre and some fans are turning.

I would never have a partisan "Lansdown out" mentality because when looking at clubs like Orient and Coventry I appreciate the safety net he provides....but I would welcome a change of ownership if it ever happened and the buyer legitimately wanted to help BCFC.

3 minutes ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

Seeing as the rugby merged with FC Barcelona in that instance almost 100 years ago I honestly wouldn't know. 

Olympiakos sporting club were founded as an athletics (Olympics) and football club, so not too sure what your point is with them as that is their identity and it hasn't been changed. The clue is literally in their name. 

5 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Really, the Barcelona claptrap being spouted again, check the ownership structure of our club vs Barcelona, very different. BCFC (1982) Ltd vs purchasing membership, 

Both Real Madrid and FC Barcelona are owned by their club supporters. It's not one or two or few people that own these clubs. They have hundred of owners. They are called socios. Unlike most of the teams in football leagues, Barca and Real are few of the clubs that are owned and run completely by their loyal fans. Barcelona has close to a 100,000 club members who are responsible for electing the Barca board and the club president. Real Madrid is run the same way. Think of it as a large corporation with hudreds of stockholders. Surprisingly, both clubs are extremely well run and rake in multimillion dollars every year in revenue. They are also popular for buying great football players paying outrageous money.

4.2k Views · View Upvotes · Answer requested by

What I'm getting at is that the basketball and football (not sure if there are any other sports) are under one club 

1 minute ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

What I'm getting at is that the basketball and football (not sure if there are any other sports) are under one club 

Agreed, no issue with that but the 'Barcelona' thing is the exact opposite of what we have (and it annoys me when people bring it up as a comparison), hence the impotent ranting on OTIB and the threat of painting words on a bed sheet rather than actually being able to do anything.

1 minute ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

But they are naturally under one club. Using basketball as your example FC Barcelona started a basketball team 90 years ago. 

Bristol Sport have taken existing clubs and merged them into a sporting franchise, there's nothing natural about it so I can't see how they can be compared. 

I appreciate what SL has done, and what he says that he wants to achieve in the future. I believe that he does want to see us in the Prem and all that...the issue is that we've heard a lot of good words about success on the pitch down the years and yet progress always stalls in the same place. I don't think he knows how to move the club on. I don't want him to leave, but I'd like him to take some advice. Until he does I fear a repeat cycle of relegation and promotion...which I've seen enough times to be getting bored with it...

As for Barcelona - building on posts above and not getting at you @Emperor Palpatine - anyone visiting the Camp Nou museum, with its trophies and memories, will see that quite apart from the ownership structure Barcelona FC have played a deep and significant role in the lives of the Catalan people that bears no comparison to the relationship that most Bristolians have with either of their football teams. Anyone walking out thinking that Bristol City could replicate that relationship lacks imagination imho, and missed the whole point of what they'd just seen.

1 hour ago, Tears in rain said:

I want SL to stay and the real issue is his decision making and stubbornness.

If he wasn't so proud and could accept his mistakes and wanted to change then I would be fine. He could easily seek advice or support and easily let a person with vast football experience make decisions.

He doesn't do that and there lies the issue with him. 

SL please get some support and advice and stop making decisions yourself! 

Steve, you are one of us despite a better bank balance than all of us, for God's sake, we all make mistakes and we would not mind a bit if you admitted defeat on this appointment but please listen to your fanbase.................please

Archived