IGNORED

Redemption for Lee Johnson?

reddogkev

4 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

Were a fickle bunch. If we win 5 of our next 7 games say, finish the season strongly and are half a dozen points clear of the drop at the end of the season i think he will start the season wish a clean slate. Start the season poorly and very quickly it will turn nasty again IMO....

Pretty much this. If we survive and he's still in the job then I think most will start next season having forgiven him, but not forgetting. The second that things start going wrong and all this will resurface.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

What will it take to restore his reputation within our eyes?

If we fight off relegation this season, and have a good pre-season of summer recruitment, will all be forgiven?

On Saturday, I had finally got to the point of wanting rid of Lee, but SL and the board clearly don't agree... yet.  I've now taken stock again, and in view of the fact that we should've beaten Burton 2-0 (Wilbs and Tomlin penalty), perhaps there is still time for him to turn things around - starting with a shock win against a wounded Norwich this evening.

Say we stay up, and start August well, and then linger around the top half next year, I wonder if LJ can win back our support.

I still want LJ to succeed, for the simple reason it means City succeed.

He needs to show some basic human deceney and resign. 

However, I think many of us are aware that is not something he is capable of.

If we fight off relegation this season, and have a good pre-season of summer recruitment, will all be forgiven?

On Saturday, I had finally got to the point of wanting rid of Lee, but SL and the board clearly don't agree... yet.  I've now taken stock again, and in view of the fact that we should've beaten Burton 2-0 (Wilbs and Tomlin penalty), perhaps there is still time for him to turn things around - starting with a shock win against a wounded Norwich this evening.

Say we stay up, and start August well, and then linger around the top half next year, I wonder if LJ can win back our support.

We should have also lost 0-1 in fairness they missed an open goal.

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Despite what some say, if he can turn it around ge will be forgiven.

The thing is, none of us think he can.

That bloke with the horrible troll avatar thinks he can.

He will be on later saying we will win 2-1.

He always says 2-1.

I think he is called redandwhitesomething.

tfj

1 minute ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

That bloke with the horrible troll avatar thinks he can.

He will be on later saying we will win 2-1.

He always says 2-1.

I think he is called redandwhitesomething.

tfj

Maybe I should have said 'very few" rather than "none".

24 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

Were a fickle bunch. If we win 5 of our next 7 games say, finish the season strongly and are half a dozen points clear of the drop at the end of the season i think he will start the season wish a clean slate. Start the season poorly and very quickly it will turn nasty again IMO....

I'm genuinely not attending until he's gone.

There is no way back for him.

I think the reality of the damage he's doing to the club is actually far, far worse than anything I've seen written on this forum. 

Yes, it is THAT bad.

He is a woeful man manager who does not have the respect of the players or the backroom staff and that is simply not going to change, ever.

33 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

What I long for is decent football, an end to the constant silly mistakes, some honesty, players and the team performing and improving, a great atmosphere at the Gate, a much better league position and a return to that tingle of excitement and optimism on matchday morning. 

The name of the manager that delivers the above is irrelevant as long as I can get back to enjoying my football again.

I also long for decent football(for us) , cheaper beer and for fans who get up to leave early f u c    k off home and not block the vomitries (sorry Dolly)

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think the reality of the damage he's doing to the club is actually far, far worse than anything I've seen written on this forum. 

Yes, it is THAT bad.

He is a woeful man manager who does not have the respect of the players or the backroom staff and that is simply not going to change, ever.

Is that sulking or a boycott?

No disrespect, but have you thought this through?

:yawn:

1. Stop playing long ball football

2. Round pegs, round holes in terms of player selection and formations

3. Win games. Lots of games. And quickly.

Ultimately, football is fickle. If he wins every game between now and the end of the season, fans will all love him again.

48 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

"If"

Define fickle for me, cause our run has proven the patience of most fans. 

A good run would be welcome but I won't be changing my mind for a very long time about LJ. 

If he wins 7 of the next 11 games I'd still want him gone.

How's that fickle? 

Come on, get real. If (and stress if!) we stayed up this season and even reached the play offs next season then he'd be a hero! And everyone saying they'll never watch us again would be back. And promotion; he'd be a legend!!

How many of those currently knocking Lansdown, and accusing him of not having the best interests of the club at heart, were cheering him on the pitch when we got promoted, and again when we opened the new stand in August.

3 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

"If"

Define fickle for me, cause our run has proven the patience of most fans. 

A good run would be welcome but I won't be changing my mind for a very long time about LJ. 

If he wins 7 of the next 11 games I'd still want him gone. 

Who's that fickle? 

Fickle: a. inconstant, changeable.

:yes:

tfj  :protest:

At least with LJ we do try and play attractive football so if we're winning as well most regular fans (as opposed to the occasionals/listen to radio fans) will forget about the mid-season slump. The managers in the past who can't win fans over with results are the ones who've tried to play boring/negative football, eg Osman and Pulis who both had reasonable win ratios but the football was not attractive and gates fell.

Nothing would give me more pleasure than us winning tonight and going on a decent run till the end of the season and then carrying it on into next year.

He says he's one of us, a City fan so it would be great to see somebody in charge that actually has an affinity with the club.

Unfortunately I can't see any of the above happening and we'll lurch from one crisis to another until Steve Lansdown finally has no other option than relieving him of his duties.

By then though we'll probably be in League One and the whole fanbase will be divided and the momentum started by Steve Cotterill will be long gone!

He was doomed from the off because of his playing days. We could be 20 points clear at the top and there'd be a section saying it was all thanks to Pembo. 

With everything that's happened over the last few months there's no way back now regardless of how this season finishes. 

A lot of anger directed at LJ when it should be going higher. Talk of 'he should resign' is hyperbolic nonsense. Blame now lies firmly at SL's door. 

25 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, it is THAT bad.

This, 100%.

18 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Come on, get real. If (and stress if!) we stayed up this season and even reached the play offs next season then he'd be a hero! And everyone saying they'll never watch us again would be back. And promotion; he'd be a legend!!

How many of those currently knocking Lansdown, and accusing him of not having the best interests of the club at heart, were cheering him on the pitch when we got promoted, and again when we opened the new stand in August.

Of course they were. He wasn't being recklessly negligent then. 

I would consider myself as 'Mr Balanced view', im not normally supportive of sacking managers BUT this time its different and there will be no redemption for LJ for the following reasons:

• A lot of fans didnt like LJ as a player and they were underwhelmed with his appointment but they gave him a chance and now they feel mugged off, as much as I was very enthusiastic once the upside was explained even I felt a bit 'meh'!
  • Barnsley fans werent gutted to see him go, they all made comments about his tinkering and unusual tactics, if anyone was like me we all thought 'god I hope they are wrong', they werent!!!
  • His age, im not ageist (im not sizeist either) but a fact of life fair or not is respect comes with age. Believe me I know im his age and I have to fight every day to get respect from people who work for me.
  • If you come out in public (press conferences) and pretend you know what you are talking about when it doesnt appear you do, you are doomed. Especially if that talk is 'modern day tactical sports science bullsh*t'.
  • We have a good squad, best squad in 30 years according to someone I sat next to at the Fulham game, so if the components are good then there has to be an issue with whoever organises those components in to a well oiled machine.
  • Fans know from watching this that this wont get better, I was at Newcastle I was grateful for the result and the effort and as much as I wanted to think it would have a knock on effect I knew deep down it wouldnt.
  • But lastly and the most important bit nobody in life likes someone they see as being favoured, fans thought it when he was a player (incorrectly in my view) and fans think it now. Why? Because he has a worse record than any of the other managers we sacked and he has had more in the back ground. More money spent, more back room staff (ala Mark Ashton etc)

The horse has bolted, leave the gate alone and buy a new horse!

6 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

A lot of that is complete rubbish. LJ has had the backing and still he can't get results - SL has given him everything including what money can't buy, and that's 'time'.

LJ should resign, like I just said, given everything and still fails.

Completely agree. And the person to blame for his continued employment is SL himself. 

But 'he should resign' is a stupid argument. Are you honestly telling me that if someone employed you, on double your current salary, and were happy for you to deliver mediocre output you'd hold your hands up and say 'sorry boss but I think I'm mugging you off here', please stop paying me!

Not a bloody chance of it.

For me he'd either have to outdo cotts title winning season in league 1, or if we stay up then a strong start with us sitting top 6 by Christmas

not because I think that's where City should be, but because anything around mid table would be seen as achievable and a minimum target for any new appointment.

1. Firstly your last line goes for any manager SL brings in
  2. If your point on Sat was a one off yes fine, as also said we could have lost it but for a bad miss from a foot away
  3. This has been going on for months now, we have been, 2/3-0 up and given up
  4. There has been a distinct lack of anything from not just SL, BUT MA and others, if they came out and said we are sticking with LJ for at least another year or whatever at least we would know; there has been nothing and we are taken as; they are supporters they will come
  5. Fans have had enough and when I say fans I don't mean those who have been here 5mins but those who have been everywhere for 10,20,30,40,50yrs can the club not see what they are doing why the silence?
  6. It will take in my opinion a new manager before the weekend to unite us all to have any chance of staying up, but its more than likely too late even for that but at least we would have hope. 
  7. Should have, could haves are gone, to late; but really a club statement is well overdue; no excuses just the facts please:sign09:

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Completely agree. And the person to blame for his continued employment is SL himself. 

But 'he should resign' is a stupid argument. Are you honestly telling me that if someone employed you, on double your current salary, and were happy for you to deliver mediocre output you'd hold your hands up and say 'sorry boss but I think I'm mugging you off here', please stop paying me!

Not a bloody chance of it.

Agreed, but i'm sure that SL would secretly breathe a sigh of relief if his protegee asked him for a way out, he could publicly be seen to be doing the right thing whilst still being quietly paid off.

I couldn't imagine SL not rewarding LJ in that way.

6 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Then clearly LJ tells lies to us fans. If he 'loved' the club as much as he says, then he would. This is worst than Tinnion.

I love the club but if they were paying me double my current salary for me to be a shit manager I wouldn't resign either. 

You can argue that it's because he loves the club that he's desperate to turn things around. 

I understand the sentiment but the 'he should do the right thing and resign' argument is weak. Why should he? Take your emotion out of it as a fan. He's been given a contract and unless it's terminated why shouldn't he see it through?

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Agreed, but i'm sure that SL would secretly breathe a sigh of relief if his protegee asked him for a way out, he could publicly be seen to be doing the right thing whilst still being quietly paid off.

I couldn't imagine SL not rewarding LJ in that way.

Agreed, but that relies on SL wantinf LJ to go, and I see no evidence of that whatsoever!

Archived