IGNORED

Rover's are now the Choice of Bristol football fans

Jurassic

12 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Sadly you're right and I've followed Swindon for over 40 years. I would also include Liverpool, Leeds & Man Utd in the list above but that's down to sky & bt showing so many live games throughout the season. Also Swindon is not a football town like it was many years ago when there was big employment in the railway works & Pressed Steele and with so many families moving here from Oxfordshire & Berkshire etc to get more property for their money they have no connection with the club. Football is fickle and in the late 60's Swindon we're getting crowds similar to yours this season and that was in the old third division. In 72 they got their record crowd of 32000 against Arsenal and although our two clubs are miles apart there are similarlities this season with both having young managers who aren't upto the job that we're stuck with and can't do anything about but you have a decent chairman

Ive always enjoyed playing city and seen them as a big club who under achieve and look out for their results each week. I would love to play you next season but somehow I can't see that happening and either one or both sets of fans are going to be fed up at the end of the season unless miracles do happen 

The last Swindon game at AG was tremendous fun!

Liverpool yes concur, chap I knew at previous job- only one with a definitive interest in football siode, seemed to be Swindon and Liverpool, dunno which order!

You are right about football being fickle indeed, I would also suggest lower League attendances in general were higher in say the 1950s to mid 70s. Things declined from there until the end of the 80s for varied reasons, and at Lower levels with the modern game as it is perhaps never recovered to the levels which were there until the early to mid 70s.

Yeah agree about the underachievement, you probably should he higher in League One and we should be midtable Championship this year IMO but that's football! I honestly thought we would be nowhere near the relegation scrap after a third of the season.

13 hours ago, Jurassic said:

Hate to have to admit it but Rover's future looks brighter than ours!

If you were a youngster deciding which Bristol team was worthy of your support you have to  admit the answer would be Rovers. That's how bad things are now.

You sure?

fejair.jpg

Is that it? The sum total of your considered response? Bristol Sport have buried City, if a youngster want's to support a Bristol club then Rovers makes more sense.

Your point is clearly proven by comparing the 2 clubs attendances. 

If you were a youngster deciding which Bristol team was worthy of your support you have to  admit the answer would be Rovers. That's how bad things are now.

:gasmask:

Rather than hurl insults at you, I'll give you the opportunity to explain why you think a potential new fan should choose Rovers over City.

I'd start with the respective head coaches if I were you because as far as I can see there ain't much after that.

Off you go.

Good points you make and with your owner, facilities & fanbase should be up around the top six and it's quite remarkable  the turn around in Reading considering the size of the town and whatnot Elm Park used to be like. Unlike Swindon you have a chairman with a reported billion to his name rather than ours who has a few million and decided to buy a second club in Southern Ireland and aim to get them in the champions league through the Irish leagues and who is also a Millwall supporter and wants to flood the team with kids from the premiership

like us you guys need an experienced manager to get a grip with things and have contacts in the game like we did in the 80's onwards with Macari, Ardillies, Hoddle, McMahon etc and if you were relegated this season you may not go straight back up like you did recently 

16 hours ago, Jurassic said:

Wouldn't bother. With their massive fan base and sold out home and away support you'd never get to see them.

16 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

:robbored:

Plagues of frogs, the dead rising from their graves,  cats and dogs living together in harmony.... 

The full Venkman quote's

"Human sacrifice!  Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria"

mmm.....   :whistle:

18 hours ago, Jurassic said:

Gas :gasmask:

19 hours ago, 54-46 said:

Pretty sure the correct way the decision should be made is to find where you live on a map then draw a line to the closest pro football team and that's your answer (I accept family history / relocation may bear a factor before someone takes umbrage)

Crap, I've been going to games in the wrong part of Bristol all this time. ;)

(Not taking umbrage, am first of my family from Bristol and Rovers were (are) the nearest team for me. Family history plays a part, but only that my Father (from London) was an Arsenal fan, not Spurs and so adopted City when he moved, my older brother- also a City fan- was born in Wales but chose City as his team when he moved here)

22 hours ago, Jurassic said:

We definitely are just because we're having a bad season doesn't our future is looking terrible.

22 hours ago, Jurassic said:

Definitely is gas actually a newbie with only 14 posts someone please remove him

I think he has a point actually.

How often do we criticise the kids for having everything and wanting for nothing. A trip to the Minimal ground would show these kids how the poor survive in the modern world, how their lives could be so much worse than it is.

1 hour ago, screech said:

I think he has a point actually.

How often do we criticise the kids for having everything and wanting for nothing. A trip to the Minimal ground would show these kids how the poor survive in the modern world, how their lives could be so much worse than it is.

Chernobyl is no place to take a youngster.  That would scar them for life......

Archived