IGNORED

Atyeo fans moving to South Stand next season

Red Army 75

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I genuinely feel sorry for you and the younger supporters 

By 1998 atmospheres had already fallen dramatically compared to what I and many were brought up with

Think there's a few that will agree with me that it was the atmosphere , the smells , the whole experience that was as appealing as the actual game itself 

Bouncing around the East End with a silk scarf tied around your wrist, the banter of the Enclosure and the buzz of Dolman A & B of the 80s /90s  was ......... 

************G BRILLIANT !!!!!!

and Im genuinely sad that many will never get to even understand let alone experience it

Euro96 'modernised' football. 

For the bits that got better, there were also things that got worse.

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Euro96 'modernised' football. 

For the bits that got better, there were also things that got worse.

Hillsborough and all seater stadiums more

But Agree

Followed England all over the world till 96 , after which it became 'trendy' and a totally different experience 

Sorry if it's unpopular but being surrounded by kids with painted faces whinging they want a coke or getting bored and restless  after 15 mins isn't my idea of going to football 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Hillsborough and all seater stadiums more

But Agree

Followed England all over the world till 96 , after which it became 'trendy' and a totally different experience 

Sorry if it's unpopular but being surrounded by kids with painted faces whinging they want a coke or getting bored and restless  after 15 mins isn't my idea of going to football 

Exactly. Bring back the old school "family stand" which meant standing with your old man in amongst the fag & cigar smoke, pissed up-ness and swearing of those around you. Bliss. Honestly it's a much better introduction to City than sitting up in the sky with a soft play area in the fu c King concourse or whatever! 

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Exactly. Bring back the old school "family stand" which meant standing with your old man in amongst the fag & cigar smoke, pissed up-ness and swearing of those around you. Bliss. Honestly it's a much better introduction to City than sitting up in the sky with a soft play area in the fu c King concourse or whatever! 

:laughcont:

Doesnt sound it does it :whistle:

But it was !!!!!!

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

There's some delicate flowers about aren't there

Oooooooh we heard someone swear 

Oooooooh someone was shouting all game

Ooooooh it's noisy

How did we ever cope in 70s,80s,90s etc

As @WTFiGO!?!has commented - Football is like going to see A Disney Film at the Cinema with the kids

Nigh on zero atmosphere and dire both on and off the pitch

The only atmosphere in reality is created by the Atyeo Section - Some of the behaviour hasn't been perfect but thank ***** they exist !

Bob,

How can I explain to Edie - who's 7 - what a**** is? I'm intrigued.

Then again when the 4 of us are sat up in the Kids Zone with our ******* opera glasses it won't matter :)

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ooooooh it's noisy

As @WTFiGO!?!has commented - Football is like going to see A Disney Film at the Cinema with the kids

The only atmosphere in reality is created by the Atyeo Section - Some of the behaviour hasn't been perfect but thank ***** they exist !

What I find strange is the reason I got hooked in the 80s was the atmosphere.

If it was like it is now, I'm not to sure. Surely this is what differentiates live football from watching Chelsea on telly.

I can tell you for a fact that of the 5 or 6 kids that a friend and I regularly take, they all want to sit in the Atyeo for the singing etc.

Only 3 do, the others moan like **** about being made to sit in the family area and badger their dad constantly to take them in the Atyeo.

How can people not understand this?

1 minute ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Bob,

Then again when the 4 of us are sat up in the Kids Zone with our ******* opera glasses it won't matter :)

I assume this is a serious question and in some ways I sympathise

But go to any football ground in the country .............

(Actually for a large part of prime TV on Sunday and last night you could hear a continual rendition of 'You're f*******g s**t' from thousands of football supporters)

I guess it's the same as how do you explain to Edie when he hears adults or other children use swear words anywhere in life

Football grounds always have and always will have people swearing by its very nature and purpose - will never be excluded - I'm not necessarily condoning it - it's just reality

It may be controversial but for anyone really concerned I'd suggest Football Grounds aren't the place to take young children

On a similar note, a know a load of school children who went against Preston during the promotion year, with flares and scuffles and atmosphere. They all loved it and wanted to come back. 

I'm not condoning some actions, but obviously if they would have sat in sanitised silence, expected to appreciate third tier football, with no emotional interest, no chance.

8 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Bob,

Explain its one of many swear words they will know by the age of 11, which is fine, the trick is to learn it's not acceptable in other aspects of society. 

Tea time for instance.:thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

(Actually for a large part of prime TV on Sunday and last night you could hear a continual rendition of 'You're f*******g s**t' from thousands of football supporters)

I guess it's the same as how do you explain to Edie when he hears adults or other children use swear words anywhere in life

Football grounds always have and always will have people swearing by its very nature and purpose - will never be excluded - I'm not necessarily condoning it - it's just reality

It may be controversial but for anyone really concerned I'd suggest Football Grounds aren't the place to take young children

On the contrary bob, my 2 now know a lot of swear words, theyve lost their novelty and they realise there just words that aren't acceptable to use in some circumstances. 

10 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Bob,

Why shouldn't you be able to explain it? Honestly. Do you think that football is the only place that bad language is deployed? 

If want to hear about scenes, I can recall when @SuperDziekinnocently asked our parents, on the way home in the car from a nice family holiday, what a see you next Tuesday was. 

If you wanted SCENES you should've seen our Old Dear's face. I'm not sure mind if the Old Man, on the other hand, know whether to lsufh or cry! God rest their souls. 

When I was a kid watching the city in the 80s . I never took any notice of the swearing or the trouble. Just sat on the wall and watched the football. Loved it . My boy comes in the Atyeo with me . Obviously he hears the swearing and he knows it's wrong. And that is my choice to take him in there . (Plenty of kids in there as well). He loves the flags and the songs . And wants to go in the singing section next season. You will always get swearing at football. As you will most places. Especially schools. If fans are worried about children hearing swearing. I would say the family area is best . As the swearing in the Atyeo is the same in any other part of the ground. And any other ground in the country. 

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ooooooh it's noisy

The atmosphere at football is definitely being sanitised. I'm sure SL and owners at other clubs would like everyone to just clap politely and not shout and swear. You only have to look at the fake atmospheres created with those clappy things . 

Oh god I'm moaning about everything to do with City lately . Can't wait for this car crash of a season to end. :sad26:

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

The atmosphere at football is definitely being sanitised. I'm sure SL and owners at other clubs would like everyone to just clap politely and not shout and swear. You only have to look at the fake atmospheres created with those clappy things . 

Oh god I'm moaning about everything to do with City lately . Can't wait for this car crash of a season to end. :sad26:

Ha ha

Snap - I think the fact that most of us thought ..... hoped .........we'd turned a corner , for a while at least, when SC and his team delivered a title , playing some cracking football and a Stadium refit in full flow

(Long) *Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

Think we'd all prefer to be discussing how me might tweak our mid table side ready for next season :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, cider head said:

I think you will find any stragglers in the Atyeo who want to look for so called trouble will probably look to get a season ticket in the lower Dolman / Atyeo side or Lower Lansdown / Atyeo side near the away end, those who want to wave a flag and get involved in the type of thing S82 are doing will go to the South stand and carry on where they left off, I don't see it being a real problem in terms of nastiness.

I'm not renewing next season but those are the places i will go for POTD. Always fun to wind up the away fans!

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Why shouldn't you be able to explain it? Honestly. Do you think that football is the only place that bad language is deployed? 

If want to hear about scenes, I can recall when @SuperDziekinnocently asked our parents, on the way home in the car from a nice family holiday, what a see you next Tuesday was. 

If you wanted SCENES you should've seen our Old Dear's face. I'm not sure mind if the Old Man, on the other hand, know whether to lsufh or cry! God rest their souls. 

I never did get an answer - it was a very quiet journey back to BS14 from Norfolk!

13 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Edie is a she - only one d :)

She'll have to put up with it. I'll say it under my breath! Toby on the other hand - he loves it. Ever since we went to Preston last season and the whole of the away sang the Flint Song for 20 continuous minutes.

So much so he and Liam sang it in the local Asda car park :)

17 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I genuinely feel sorry for you and the younger supporters 

By 1998 atmospheres had already fallen dramatically compared to what I and many were brought up with

Think there's a few that will agree with me that it was the atmosphere , the smells , the whole experience that was as appealing as the actual game itself 

Bouncing around the East End with a silk scarf tied around your wrist, the banter of the Enclosure and the buzz of Dolman A & B of the 80s /90s  was ......... 

************G BRILLIANT !!!!!!

and Im genuinely sad that many will never get to even understand let alone experience it

Dont ever convince me that 'modern football' in 'modern stadia' is a 'better experience'

Broadly agree and will defer to your knowledge of what went before but still think there was some good elements up to 2004...

And of course when the East End reopened- I only went in there once as it was 'overflow' with some mates when stand I was in originally was sold out! It was fantastic, felt like a little bit of a throwback- people standing, chanting, throwing loo roll on the pitch (I remember some being handed out), pretty sure people were surreptitiously smoking also- cigarettes and weed. I wish I had had a season ticket in there in modern times. I know it's nothing like the 70s, 80s and parts of the 90s but was still easily the best stand at AG- and am sad it's gone.

5 hours ago, SARJ said:

gKids nowadays are pansies. I used to love going down seeing the aggro and hearing the bad language, then going home to get a clip round the ear when I repeated it.

Nowadays kids cry when they see such things.

have you grown up now?

23 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

When I was a kid watching the city in the 80s . I never took any notice of the swearing or the trouble. Just sat on the wall and watched the football. Loved it . My boy comes in the Atyeo with me . Obviously he hears the swearing and he knows it's wrong. And that is my choice to take him in there . (Plenty of kids in there as well). He loves the flags and the songs . And wants to go in the singing section next season. You will always get swearing at football. As you will most places. Especially schools. If fans are worried about children hearing swearing. I would say the family area is best . As the swearing in the Atyeo is the same in any other part of the ground. And any other ground in the country. 

My daughter - now in her 20's - and I laugh about her first trip to the Gate when, sat in Dolman C block (of all places) she turned to me and said "Dad...that man...he said "f***"!" I think she thought it was word that only kids used in the playground...not something adults said in public...

She's turned out fine.

Archived