IGNORED

Celtic v Rangers

Red Army 75

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I remember when Inverness had three teams....Inverness Thistle, Inverness Clachnacuddin and Caledonian...

Partick fans seriously dislike Airdrie for what they did to Clydebank.....Airdrie Utd went bust in 2002 then they took over Clydebank, closed that club down, relocated them to Airdrie and changed their name to Airdrieonians FC overnight, leaving Clydebank fans with no club....disgraceful...

I went to a cracking game at Clydebank once when the game I was on route to (Aberdeen vs Partick) was called off.

Clydebank lost 2-3 to Dunfermline that day, and Wet Wet Wet were at the game as they sponsored Clydebank at the time.

Also Airdrie were known as 'Little Chelsea' - they were hooligan wannabes and tried to form the same relationship with Chelsea that Rangers have...to no avail. 

I went to Partick vs Airdrieonians a while back and it went bang off during the game when the visitors unfurled huge Chelsea and England flags, hilarious stuff!

PS: little known fact, Clydebank had the UK's first all seater stadium, a lot of people think it was Pittodrie or Coventry but I believe the Bankies got there first!

The whole Linfield, Chelsea, Rangers thing is interesting but never knew airdrie gave it a go as well haha.

I have a question though, if I were to support one of the old firm teams it would be Rangers but being catholic I should be Celtic right? How would that go down?

Never knew Airdrie did that but my uncle is a gashead so that adds up. 

18 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

The whole Linfield, Chelsea, Rangers thing is interesting but never knew airdrie gave it a go as well haha.

I have a question though, if I were to support one of the old firm teams it would be Rangers but being catholic I should be Celtic right? How would that go down?

Never knew Airdrie did that but my uncle is a gashead so that adds up. 

I work with a Protestant Celtic season ticket holder so it doesn't always come down to religion. Although it seems strange for a Protestant to happily listen to pro-IRA chants etc.

I was in a bar in Spain once which was full of Celtic fans chanting IRA stuff and anti-English stuff all night....I asked a few of the younger ones if they actually knew what they were chanting about or if they were just caught up in the crap....and they knew nothing about the history and the true meaning of the Battle of the Boyne etc.....and that probably goes for some Rangers fans too.

Believe it or not, some Old Firm fans actually choose their teams due to footballing reasons, but not many in my experience. I've seen very young Celtic fans walking to their ground on match day clutching photos of the Pope....it shocked me, it was like they were going to church, not a day out at the football.

And in Scotland, when you win the top division you fly the 'Champions' flag of your country over your stadium in an old and longstanding custom and tradition. When Celtic win it they fly the Irish tricolour which just adds to the tension. And I've been to Old Firm games at Parkhead where Rangers fans have had the Union Flag confiscated on their way in because it will 'offend the home support' - disgusting.

That's why I love the wide repertoire of Partick Thistle anti-Old Firm songs, they are original and hilarious, and put City's few, unoriginal songs to shame, with the exception of Drink Up Thy Zider of course....

And your Uncle, a gashead Airdrie fan?! With respect, he follows the Scottish club most aligned to his English choice - Airdrie are disgraceful vultures and thieves, they stole Clydebank's identity and left their fans with nothing...just so they could survive themselves...

51 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I work with a Protestant Celtic season ticket holder so it doesn't always come down to religion. Although it seems strange for a Protestant to happily listen to pro-IRA chants etc.

I was in a bar in Spain once which was full of Celtic fans chanting IRA stuff and anti-English stuff all night....I asked a few of the younger ones if they actually knew what they were chanting about or if they were just caught up in the crap....and they knew nothing about the history and the true meaning of the Battle of the Boyne etc.....and that probably goes for some Rangers fans too.

Believe it or not, some Old Firm fans actually choose their teams due to footballing reasons, but not many in my experience. I've seen very young Celtic fans walking to their ground on match day clutching photos of the Pope....it shocked me, it was like they were going to church, not a day out at the football.

And in Scotland, when you win the top division you fly the 'Champions' flag of your country over your stadium in an old and longstanding custom and tradition. When Celtic win it they fly the Irish tricolour which just adds to the tension. And I've been to Old Firm games at Parkhead where Rangers fans have had the Union Flag confiscated on their way in because it will 'offend the home support' - disgusting.

That's why I love the wide repertoire of Partick Thistle anti-Old Firm songs, they are original and hilarious, and put City's few, unoriginal songs to shame, with the exception of Drink Up Thy Zider of course....

And your Uncle, a gashead Airdrie fan?! With respect, he follows the Scottish club most aligned to his English choice - Airdrie are disgraceful vultures and thieves, they stole Clydebank's identity and left their fans with nothing...just so they could survive themselves...

I think it's great that Celtic fly the tricolour, the club was formed by Irish immigrants and is associated almost completely with Irish/ Catholic support, It's a shame that all English clubs have gone the opposite way by forgetting where they come from

4 minutes ago, harrys said:

I think it's great that Celtic fly the tricolour, the club was formed by Irish immigrants and is associated almost completely with Irish/ Catholic support, It's a shame that all English clubs have gone the opposite way by forgetting where they come from

Where do 'all' English clubs come from?

Absolutely love Rangers, top fans, British and had an amazing day with them when they came down the Gate.

No doubt I'll be slated for this and called a bigot, and I know both Old Firm sides are guilty of wrongdoings, but how English people can follow or have an affinity for Celtic with their IRA flags and chants, burning poppies etc is beyond me.

Recently went to Roger Wilkin's cider farm in Glastonbury and bumped into a load of Rangers lads there. They absolutely love the City and the West Country, many of them citing that summer friendly in glorious sunshine as one of their best days out ever.

1 hour ago, SARJ said:

Absolutely love Rangers, top fans, British and had an amazing day with them when they came down the Gate.

No doubt I'll be slated for this and called a bigot, and I know both Old Firm sides are guilty of wrongdoings, but how English people can follow or have an affinity for Celtic with their IRA flags and chants, burning poppies etc is beyond me.

Recently went to Roger Wilkin's cider farm in Glastonbury and bumped into a load of Rangers lads there. They absolutely love the City and the West Country, many of them citing that summer friendly in glorious sunshine as one of their best days out ever.

Thing is, it's actually an interesting conversation to have, where absolutely both sides are as equally culpable as the other. The issue you will always have is that unless someone is truly neutral, it will always descend into one side being worse than the other in an individual's eye. I'm generally unsurprised that Celtic can attack the hatred it does on this forum (and others), but I do find it a shame that people can't look at the bigger picture and realise that both sides hold their relative opinions for various reasons and neither side is 'good' or 'bad'.

Of course, Rangers as a club and it's philosophies can match closely with a lot of people in Britain, but I find it both startling and sad that so many supporters (both casual and hardcore) will become invisible to their own sides shortcomings in the desperate need to paint the other side as the wrongdoers. 

19 hours ago, harrys said:

I find it strange that some national flags are considered 'racist/inflammatory' and others not so.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I find it strange that some national flags are considered 'racist/inflammatory' and others not so.

Which flags are considered racist/inflammatory? Personally I don't have a problem with the tricolour, the Union flag or the fact that Barcelona fly a Catalan flag, it adds to the identity of these clubs

On 13/03/2017 at 16:37, Woodsy said:

To the lads that go up and support Celtic - serious question......

I'm going to presume that you may well have Irish blood in the family, but how do they feel about 'English' lads going up and following them? Could you find yourself in a difficult situation at all?

I was always Rangers when I was younger, mainly due to the English lot that went up and played for them, and always fancied going up and watching an OF game. Will get round to it one day, as a neutral now. Atmosphere looks amazing

I don't support Celtic at all but have found myself in a few sticky situations by going into the wrong pub in Glasgow as an Englishman on Old Firm days....once I ordered some drinks and the landlord grabbed a microphone and announced to the pub: "Who brought the Sassenach scum in here?" and he wouldn't let it lie as every head turned to stare at me and it was made clear I had to leave sharpish, luckily a few of the more sensible guys in the pub stood up for me which gave me the chance to make a swift exit whilst many Irish accents gave me dog's abuse.

The Rangers fans are obviously more welcoming of us from South of the border and you'll bump into many English guys who follow the Teddy Bears when they are against the Hoops....

But as long as you're sensible and keep your wits about you it's fine....no worse than a manic Friday night out in Bristol. At the actual Old Firm games the police are well on top of it now and I haven't seen any real problems near the stadiums for years. The real trouble seems to be amongst those who couldn't get to the games and watch in the pubs...

Get up there chief and see a proper rivalry first hand....makes Bristol seem pretty tame in terms of the relationship between us and the gas....

2 hours ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Thing is, it's actually an interesting conversation to have, where absolutely both sides are as equally culpable as the other. The issue you will always have is that unless someone is truly neutral, it will always descend into one side being worse than the other in an individual's eye. I'm generally unsurprised that Celtic can attack the hatred it does on this forum (and others), but I do find it a shame that people can't look at the bigger picture and realise that both sides hold their relative opinions for various reasons and neither side is 'good' or 'bad'.

Of course, Rangers as a club and it's philosophies can match closely with a lot of people in Britain, but I find it both startling and sad that so many supporters (both casual and hardcore) will become invisible to their own sides shortcomings in the desperate need to paint the other side as the wrongdoers. 

You make some good points, but the IRA bombed Bristol in 1974 - an act which makes it a bit difficult to see the bigger picture when you hear Celtic fans gleefully chant "Oh Ah, Up The Ra" and "The Boys of the Old Brigade" and "They gave us James McGrory and Paul McStay, and the IRA..." etc etc whilst playing the 'hurt' card when the Gers bang out "The Billy Boys"...

2 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I wouldn't say they are considered racist....but it's definitely seen as inflammatory when a Scottish club flies the flag of another country above their stadium.....football is an emotive business!

If anyone wants a refreshing alternative to the Old Firm, spend a Saturday afternoon in the Jackie Husband Stand at Firhill Stadium, the songs are superb, the passion is obvious and you are made to feel so welcome. Partick Thistle FC #Glasgow'sNumberOne.....

On 3/13/2017 at 16:37, Woodsy said:

To the lads that go up and support Celtic - serious question......

I'm going to presume that you may well have Irish blood in the family, but how do they feel about 'English' lads going up and following them? Could you find yourself in a difficult situation at all?

I was always Rangers when I was younger, mainly due to the English lot that went up and played for them, and always fancied going up and watching an OF game. Will get round to it one day, as a neutral now. Atmosphere looks amazing

serious answer. I've got a local accent, and I've seen Celtic play in Glasgow and in London (at Fulham). I've also seen games in Edinburgh, Dunfermline and at Dundee United. The ONLY grief I've ever had is from Chelsea fans just outside a tube station... who unwisely figured it was a good idea to ambush the Hoops fans. Do I have an Irish background? Yes, but donkeys years ago....Great Grandparent is the closest, so not worth discussing. Do I celebrate St Pats Day? No. Like many "unknowns" it's all played in the head....the reality often doesn't match the "fear"

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You make some good points, but the IRA bombed Bristol in 1974 - an act which makes it a bit difficult to see the bigger picture when you hear Celtic fans gleefully chant "Oh Ah, Up The Ra" and "The Boys of the Old Brigade" and "They gave us James McGrory and Paul McStay, and the IRA..." etc etc whilst playing the 'hurt' card when the Gers bang out "The Billy Boys"...

The sad fact is that most in this era, on both sides, sing these songs without even knowing the meaning of what they sing. It's all antagonisation and ignorance.

The IRA and BOTOB on one side, The British Army and The Billy Boys on the other and everything in-between. Both sides claim themselves as the victims, both sides paint the other side as the antagonist. In reality, many over the years have suffered at the hands of this IRA and this British Army that some Celtic/Rangers supporters spend so much energy extolling the virtues of.

Although this is the deeper end of the Celtic v Rangers scale, it's like everything else between the two sides - tit-for-tat.

4 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

The sad fact is that most in this era, on both sides, sing these songs without even knowing the meaning of what they sing. It's all antagonisation and ignorance.

The IRA and BOTOB on one side, The British Army and The Billy Boys on the other and everything in-between. Both sides claim themselves as the victims, both sides paint the other side as the antagonist. In reality, many over the years have suffered at the hands of this IRA and this British Army that some Celtic/Rangers supporters spend so much energy extolling the virtues of.

Although this is the deeper end of the Celtic v Rangers scale, it's like everything else between the two sides - tit-for-tat.

Fair enough, but just can't understand how any Englishman can support Celtic after 'antics' like this at a 'friendly'...

1 hour ago, harrys said:

Which flags are considered racist/inflammatory? Personally I don't have a problem with the tricolour, the Union flag or the fact that Barcelona fly a Catalan flag, it adds to the identity of these clubs

St Georges flag by the white middle class liberal nimby brigade.

Just to clarify I haven't got a problem with such flags as you describe.

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, but just can't understand how any Englishman can support Celtic after 'antics' like this at a 'friendly'...

which fans of a Scottish Team smashed up Central Manchester? Seriously, they are as bad as each other. And as for fans "bigging it up"....look no further than BS3. City's fans have a reputation too

The problem now BS4 on Tour, is that you are just falling into the same trap of just posting things that suit your deeper rooted opinion. I could find a thousand clips or stories of Rangers fans embarrassing themselves, including causing substantial damage in Manchester for the Uefa Cup final as mentioned above. Tit-for-tat again.

There are fans of all teams that embarrass themselves and their clubs in a multitude of ways. Many of which I've witnessed while following City as well, sadly.

On the positive side, both Celtic and Rangers are fantastically supported clubs with successful histories, I just wish both sides would spend more time concentrating on themselves rather than their rivals!

12 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

which fans of a Scottish Team smashed up Central Manchester? Seriously, they are as bad as each other. And as for fans "bigging it up"....look no further than BS3. City's fans have a reputation too

Which fans have caused their club to be fined 10 times in 5 seasons by UEFA for their shameful behaviour? .....did you like the "No bloodstained poppies on our Hoops" banner? - even though the plonkers hilariously spelled 'Bloodstained" incorrectly on the banner....

2 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

The problem now BS4 on Tour, is that you are just falling into the same trap of just posting things that suit your deeper rooted opinion. I could find a thousand clips or stories of Rangers fans embarrassing themselves, including causing substantial damage in Manchester for the Uefa Cup final as mentioned above. Tit-for-tat again.

There are fans of all teams that embarrass themselves and their clubs in a multitude of ways. Many of which I've witnessed while following City as well, sadly.

On the positive side, both Celtic and Rangers are fantastically supported clubs with successful histories, I just wish both sides would spend more time concentrating on themselves rather than their rivals!

You're right - and I'm a Partick Thistle fan where Scotland is concerned! I need a lie down...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Which fans have caused their club to be fined 10 times in 5 seasons by UEFA for their shameful behaviour? .....did you like the "No bloodstained poppies on our Hoops" banner? - even though the plonkers hilariously spelled 'Bloodstained" incorrectly on the banner....

which club didn't pay their Income Tax?

Archived