IGNORED

Celtic v Rangers

Red Army 75

45 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

St Georges flag by the white middle class liberal nimby brigade.

Just to clarify I haven't got a problem with such flags as you describe.

How many white middle class liberal nimbys who has a problem with the st. George flag do you know?

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don't support Celtic at all but have found myself in a few sticky situations by going into the wrong pub in Glasgow as an Englishman on Old Firm days....once I ordered some drinks and the landlord grabbed a microphone and announced to the pub: "Who brought the Sassenach scum in here?" and he wouldn't let it lie as every head turned to stare at me and it was made clear I had to leave sharpish, luckily a few of the more sensible guys in the pub stood up for me which gave me the chance to make a swift exit whilst many Irish accents gave me dog's abuse.

The Rangers fans are obviously more welcoming of us from South of the border and you'll bump into many English guys who follow the Teddy Bears when they are against the Hoops....

But as long as you're sensible and keep your wits about you it's fine....no worse than a manic Friday night out in Bristol. At the actual Old Firm games the police are well on top of it now and I haven't seen any real problems near the stadiums for years. The real trouble seems to be amongst those who couldn't get to the games and watch in the pubs...

Get up there chief and see a proper rivalry first hand....makes Bristol seem pretty tame in terms of the relationship between us and the gas....

Ha, that was decent of the landlord! If I went I think I'd go with the Rangers fans, I'd feel more anonymous with that lot I think. You're right though, you can get trouble anywhere you want it. I just want a few pints and watch a game of football!

13 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

serious answer. I've got a local accent, and I've seen Celtic play in Glasgow and in London (at Fulham). I've also seen games in Edinburgh, Dunfermline and at Dundee United. The ONLY grief I've ever had is from Chelsea fans just outside a tube station... who unwisely figured it was a good idea to ambush the Hoops fans. Do I have an Irish background? Yes, but donkeys years ago....Great Grandparent is the closest, so not worth discussing. Do I celebrate St Pats Day? No. Like many "unknowns" it's all played in the head....the reality often doesn't match the "fear"

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. These things always seem worse when you see the bad bits on tv

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 21:02, BS4 on Tour... said:

That's why I love the wide repertoire of Partick Thistle anti-Old Firm songs, they are original and hilarious,

Do Clyde or Queen's Park,  the other Glasgow teams, have any anti OF songs or chants?

Like Celtic, Hibernian were set up to help destitute Irish refugees in Scotland. Do they fly the tricolour?

Is there any trouble when the Glasgow teams play the Edinburgh teams? I read that Dundee & Dundee Utd fans unite when either of the OF pair are visiting and Aberdeen v either of the OF gets tasty off the pitch.

On 3/13/2017 at 16:37, Woodsy said:

To the lads that go up and support Celtic - serious question......

I'm going to presume that you may well have Irish blood in the family, but how do they feel about 'English' lads going up and following them? Could you find yourself in a difficult situation at all?

I was always Rangers when I was younger, mainly due to the English lot that went up and played for them, and always fancied going up and watching an OF game. Will get round to it one day, as a neutral now. Atmosphere looks amazing

Make sure you do, mate.

Many years ago I witnessed the Gers winning an OF game 5-1 (Celtic scored first).

Without doubt one of the best days I have ever had, atmosphere was off the scale.

The celebrations afterwards were unreal, it felt like they had won the world cup ! 

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

Make sure you do, mate.

Many years ago I witnessed the Gers winning an OF game 5-1 (Celtic scored first).

Without doubt one of the best days I have ever had, atmosphere was off the scale.

The celebrations afterwards were unreal, it felt like they had won the world cup ! 

Yeah, I've got to do it. That atmosphere is something else

I'll pick the 0-0 where Scott Brown behaves himself and nothing happens on the pitch, guarantee it!

8 hours ago, 22A said:

Do Clyde or Queen's Park,  the other Glasgow teams, have any anti OF songs or chants?

Like Celtic, Hibernian were set up to help destitute Irish refugees in Scotland. Do they fly the tricolour?

Is there any trouble when the Glasgow teams play the Edinburgh teams? I read that Dundee & Dundee Utd fans unite when either of the OF pair are visiting and Aberdeen v either of the OF gets tasty off the pitch.

Clyde save their hatred for Partick Thistle - a more realistic rival. I was in a pub full of Thistle fans once in Bearsden on the outskirts of Glasgow, we'd just got back from an away game at Dundee Utd, when a coach load of Clyde fans pulled up outside and attacked the pub. It was raw and scary, but I don't think they realised how many Thistle fans were inside - they disappeared into the night rapidly when around 100 Thistle boys charged outside....

Hibs fly the Irish tricolour too, I went to a very feisty game at Easter Road a while back, it was Hibs 2 Rangers 3 and it went bang off. Loads of Ireland flags around the stadium and most Gers fans dressed in orange to wind them up, and the Teddy Bears also sang: 'Sing in your chapel, you only sing in your chapel..' over and over which didn't help to calm the home support!

Dundee and Dundee Utd do join up on occasions under their joint firm name of 'The Dundee Utlility' and they have no love for the Glasgow sides. I was at Tannadice Park for Dundee Utd 2 Partick 2 back in 1992 and a joint Utility welcoming  committee was waiting for us outside. Great anecdote about that game, I went for a slash and missed three goals! They were firing in rapidly from all angles!

Queen's Park is for the purists and they are really admired as a club and small fan base up there. They don't always play every home game at Hampden Park despite the tradition and history. There is a tiny ground next door called 'Little Hampden' which is fine for most of their games. It was a standing joke, but they only needed to open a couple of rows in the main stand at Hampden Park to accommodate the majority of their home support....but they are a great Scottish football institution...

I'm going this weekend too, for Rangers vs Hamilton.....Scottish football is really good fun and the fans show passion that is just unreal at times, especially Partick Thistle's support...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Clyde save their hatred for Partick Thistle - a more realistic rival. I was in a pub full of Thistle fans once in Bearsden on the outskirts of Glasgow, we'd just got back from an away game at Dundee Utd, when a coach load of Clyde fans pulled up outside and attacked the pub. It was raw and scary, but I don't think they realised how many Thistle fans were inside - they disappeared into the night rapidly when around 100 Thistle boys charged outside....

Hibs fly the Irish tricolour too, I went to a very feisty game at Easter Road a while back, it was Hibs 2 Rangers 3 and it went bang off. Loads of Ireland flags around the stadium and most Gers fans dressed in orange to wind them up, and the Teddy Bears also sang: 'Sing in your chapel, you only sing in your chapel..' over and over which didn't help to calm the home support!

Dundee and Dundee Utd do join up on occasions under their joint firm name of 'The Dundee Utlility' and they have no love for the Glasgow sides. I was at Tannadice Park for Dundee Utd 2 Partick 2 back in 1992 and a joint Utility welcoming  committee was waiting for us outside. Great anecdote about that game, I went for a slash and missed three goals! They were firing in rapidly from all angles!

Queen's Park is for the purists and they are really admired as a club and small fan base up there. They don't always play every home game at Hampden Park despite the tradition and history. There is a tiny ground next door called 'Little Hampden' which is fine for most of their games. It was a standing joke, but they only needed to open a couple of rows in the main stand at Hampden Park to accommodate the majority of their home support....but they are a great Scottish football institution...

I'm going this weekend too, for Rangers vs Hamilton.....Scottish football is really good fun and the fans show passion that is just unreal at times, especially Partick Thistle's support...

Partick... ha that takes me back a few years. Went up a few years ago to watch Glasgow Warriors v Bath Rugby (whilst meeting up with a few old mates). During the day we took in a ground tour of Hampden...which included all the behind the scenes stuff like the warm up area. There was a Penalty area with a timer behind it...which measured the speed of your shot. We were all given two attempts a piece. My mate from Edinburgh banged one in measured at 48mph. My turn.... and the locals were having a smirk at my expense as I was wearing a Bath Rugby shirt. I've no idea how hard I walloped that ball as it cannoned off the bar and smashed the timer. Scotland 0 England 1

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Enjoyed reading that post very insightful. Didn't realise there was a small ground next to hampden 

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Enjoyed reading that post very insightful. Didn't realise there was a small ground next to hampden 

did you know the dressing rooms were called "Celtic" and Rangers", the coach stops outside (inside the structure) had the same names, and even the ends were merely dubbed the "Celtic End" and the "Rangers End"

2 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

did you know the dressing rooms were called "Celtic" and Rangers", the coach stops outside (inside the structure) had the same names, and even the ends were merely dubbed the "Celtic End" and the "Rangers End"

I've never heard that .....why would the national stadium name dressing rooms after clubs? 

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I've never heard that .....why would the national stadium name dressing rooms after clubs? 

I'm serious... take a ground tour. It's very enlightening and not at all expensive. Old pics of Hampden make the place seem a lot bigger... but wow. The changing rooms are HUGE.

3 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Never heard of that . Very limited knowledge on Scottish football. Only been to one game up there. And that was to watch City v st johnstone a few years back. But love the old firm derby. Also like the hearts v hibs game . I remember the st Johnstone fans saying they have a massive dislike for Dundee 

10 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

If u don't mind me asking BS4 . The Partick Thistle connection. How did that come about. 

It's a long story mate, we'd need a couple of bottles of merlot and two glasses! I've supported them longer than City by a bizarre twist of fate...Partick Thistle - a proud, grand, old club and they never will forget trouncing the very strong Celtic side 4-1 in the 1971 Scottish League Cup Final - the Irish try to dumb down that victory but they conveniently forget that the Celtic side that day included Kenny Dalglish, Lou Macari, Jimmy Johnstone, Tommy Gemmell, David Hay etc etc - all Celtic legends, we stuffed em....and all that after the Grandstand presenter opened the programme that day saying: "...and in Scotland it's League Cup Final day where Celtic face Partick, who have no chance....." 

He never recovered from that absolute disgraceful cock up of a comment!

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It's a long story mate, we'd need a couple of bottles of merlot and two glasses! I've supported them longer than City by a bizarre twist of fate...Partick Thistle - a proud, grand, old club and they never will forget trouncing the very strong Celtic side 4-1 in the 1971 Scottish League Cup Final - the Irish try to dumb down that victory but they conveniently forget that the Celtic side that day included Kenny Dalglish, Lou Macari, Jimmy Johnstone, Tommy Gemmell, David Hay etc etc - all Celtic legends, we stuffed em....and all that after the Grandstand presenter opened the programme that day saying: "...and in Scotland it's League Cup Final day where Celtic face Partick, who have no chance....." 

He never recovered from that absolute disgraceful cock up,of a comment!

that made I smirk. Good on ya

24 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He never recovered from that absolute disgraceful cock up of a comment!

Always good to read and hear stories like this. I will keep a lookout for the mighty thistles results in future. Up the jags ;)

8 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Good point well made.

I don't any terrorists or ultra right wing thugs who march behind such flags but I know they exist, how many of them do you know?.

I don't know any except for a few City fans who for some reason like to go to Belfast for the Loyalist marching season

5 minutes ago, harrys said:

I don't know any except for a few City fans who for some reason like to go to Belfast for the Loyalist marching season

oh that.... saw one in Cowdenbeath once.... it came over as an absolute nonsense that needs to be lobbed in the bin. We remember world wars by remembering the dead. The mad ones celebrate my marching up the road singing we beat the crap out of you hundreds of years ago. Do the allies go marching up and down Berlin High Road every year?

Archived