IGNORED

Jermaine Defoe: England Squad

supercidered

9 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Good grief. Really good player but is it really that bad that a 34 year old is in the squad?:englandflag: Lets pull out all the stops and see if Shearer fancies another go!

He's the highest scoring Englishman in the Premier League, Tammy will have to wait a bit longer.

4 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Scoring, isn't he?

For struggling Sunderland.

Or would you rather just see the same old faces from the same few big clubs producing **** all as usual?

I would rather see someone from the championship who isn't 34 years old. I think he last played in 2014 for England, I like him as a player and a finisher but crikey it shows how shallow our forward line is if we have to call him up. 

2 minutes ago, glynriley said:

He's the highest scoring Englishman in the Premier League, Tammy will have to wait a bit longer.

He is and I guess a lot of people having been calling for in form players to be picked. I just look at it and think that the National team should have more to call on than that. I think it makes it 3 strikers including Defoe in the entire squad.

3 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I would rather see someone from the championship who isn't 34 years old. I think he last played in 2014 for England, I like him as a player and a finisher but crikey it shows how shallow our forward line is if we have to call him up. 

We don't have to call him up.

But we should, because he's the most in-form goalscorer that we have.

In the,Premiership. Which shows that his age is not affecting him.

8 minutes ago, supercidered said:

He is and I guess a lot of people having been calling for in form players to be picked. I just look at it and think that the National team should have more to call on than that. I think it makes it 3 strikers including Defoe in the entire squad.

Kane, Sturridge and Rooney all injured I think.

Could call them up but they'd be as much use as a handbrake on a canoe.

3 minutes ago, Superjack said:

We don't have to call him up.

But we should, because he's the most in-form goalscorer that we have.

In the,Premiership. Which shows that his age is not affecting him.

I had better quantify what my point was / is.

I agree players on form should be picked. My point is that a international team like England has a very shallow group of out and out strikers to pick from and its a sad indictment of our leagues that mean we are reliant on Defoe at 34 years old. Its a worry IMO.

2 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Kane, Sturridge and Rooney all injured I think.

Could call them up but they'd be as much use as a handbrake on a canoe.

Agreed there, though I hope Rooney wouldn't be picked again even if he was fit. Unless of course he is in form and deserves to be there for that reason only.

12 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I had better quantify what my point was / is.

I agree players on form should be picked. My point is that a international team like England has a very shallow group of out and out strikers to pick from and its a sad indictment of our leagues that mean we are reliant on Defoe at 34 years old. Its a worry IMO.

Fair enough. I agree with that.

We shouldn't be 'reliant' on him. We shouldn't be reliant on anyone. Unfortunately we just don't have enough quality, and that goes for every position IMO.

43 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Good grief. Really good player but is it really that bad that a 34 year old is in the squad?:englandflag: Lets pull out all the stops and see if Shearer fancies another go!

Deserved imo. He is scoring goals for a poor team.

I would of called him up.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Good to see Redmond and Ward Prowse in, Both had excellent seasons.

Thought Redmond has been due for it for awhile. Watched the likes of Lingard and Ox Chamberlain keep getting call ups and not Redmond. They're good young players but Redmond always stands out when I watch him play. Ward Prowse for his set pieces alone is worth a go. I'm glad they both weren't rushed into it and have grown into good players instead of being pushed through because of England's failures. 

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Hasn't done anything yet at International level.

Will do I'm certain 

You don't score goals with his consistency in Prem without being a very good player

Hes one of those you don't necessarily notice him in a game but then remember he's scored twice 

1 hour ago, supercidered said:

Not sure what his age has to do with it, he's getting goals, he's English, who cares?

Archived