IGNORED

ADVICE NEEDED regarding disabilities

Simon79

Some very good advice here.

Definitely speak to Gareth Torpy at City - gareth.torpy@bristol-sport.co.uk - I think his number is 0117-9630670

If you want to PM me, please feel free.  My son is a wheelchair user, so there'll be very different considerations, but a number of generic ones too.

easy to be critical of Bristol City / Bristol Sport, but this is one area where they've put a lot of effort into over the past few years.

There aren't many stadia where the disabled section have as many prime positions as AG.

Good luck, hope you find something that works for you and your son.

On 21/03/2017 at 22:14, exAtyeoMax said:

I hope your lad enjoys his first game (don't forget to get a cap)

I was watching Everton on FB and the Everton in the Community Down Syndrome Team. Excellent stuff. I was thinking that it would be good for City to get involved in something similar. There's lots of guys and gals who would like to play, I'm sure.

That Would be a great idea. I attend  games with a downs friend who represented Great Britain at football in the first special games held in Paris back in the 70s. His memories of the the selection process, training sessions and event itself sounded extremely well organised which involved Joe Jordan and Bobby Gould to name but two. GB won the final, not sure who they beat but Rob always says he scored 13. I may have a blinkered view because of my freindship with Rob but Downs folk do seem to adore everything football, a BCFC team would be a fantastic idea supported by Rob and I. Unfortunatly both of us are at an age where we struggle to tie our shoe lases, so purely cheer leaders only.

16 minutes ago, Red Rag said:

That Would be a great idea. I attend  games with a downs friend who represented Great Britain at football in the first special games held in Paris back in the 70s. His memories of the the selection process, training sessions and event itself sounded extremely well organised which involved Joe Jordan and Bobby Gould to name but two. GB won the final, not sure who they beat but Rob always says he scored 13. I may have a blinkered view because of my freindship with Rob but Downs folk do seem to adore everything football, a BCFC team would be a fantastic idea supported by Rob and I. Unfortunatly both of us are at an age where we struggle to tie our shoe lases, so purely cheer leaders only.

Has he got any photos that he could post on here? It would be great to see them

On 21/03/2017 at 22:49, Septic Peg said:

I think so. I can't be 100% as I've never looked into it fully. But I would expect it to be the case. Especially if a life long mental health condition or a such a severe example of a condition that it affects daily life such as a fear of crowds.

My partner has Aspergers Syndrome and really struggles with crowds, he absolutely loves Bristol City but due to the crowds and the cost of us all attending he only comes now and then, he receives the higher rate of PIP, would he be entitled to a carers ticket? I am registered as his carer also.

4 hours ago, Up The City! said:

My partner has Aspergers Syndrome and really struggles with crowds, he absolutely loves Bristol City but due to the crowds and the cost of us all attending he only comes now and then, he receives the higher rate of PIP, would he be entitled to a carers ticket? I am registered as his carer also.

I double checked this all with @Dollymarie the other day so yes I would think so. You'd have to take along a copy of his PIP entitlement to show the rate he is getting and speak to the Disability Officer about selecting a good quiet spot to watch the match. He only pays for his standard season ticket in whichever stand you choose. The carers ticket is free.

As for one off tickets, truthfully I have no idea. But I'd assume if you spoke with the Disability officer, they could arrange a purchase.

If you email Gareth at gareth.torpy@bristol-sport.co.uk he should be able to help or guide you to the right person. 

Hope this helps.

8 hours ago, Up The City! said:

What @Septic Peg :) 

10 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Has he got any photos that he could post on here? It would be great to see them

Sadly not. At the time Rob was resident at Stoke Park, not a lot came out of there with him. He did have a medal until about 8 years ago which has gone missing. Rob was the mascot that lead the team out against Newcastle about 7 years ago and had a feature in the match day program. It took me ages trying to source info off the net re the Games itself, very poorly documented. He does have a photo of him and some other stoke park residents in their kit taken with a very young looking Brian Drysdale ( ex City fullback in our glory years) I will take a snap of it and post in next time I am down his house.

2 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

I meant I was speaking with you the other day as to the process in getting a disabled ST and what entitlements are required dear. You know the process better than I deary. :thumbsup:

Yeah, so basically you stole all my advice, used it as your own and then took all the credit huh? ;):P 

3 hours ago, Red Rag said:

Sadly not. At the time Rob was resident at Stoke Park, not a lot came out of there with him. He did have a medal until about 8 years ago which has gone missing. Rob was the mascot that lead the team out against Newcastle about 7 years ago and had a feature in the match day program. It took me ages trying to source info off the net re the Games itself, very poorly documented. He does have a photo of him and some other stoke park residents in their kit taken with a very young looking Brian Drysdale ( ex City fullback in our glory years) I will take a snap of it and post in next time I am down his house.

I remember him so well. He looked so proud - carried the ball out.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I remember him so well. He looked so proud - carried the ball out.

He loved it. We nearly got clattered by Nolan in the tunnel as they came back from the warm up. His studs skided on the floor and bumped right into us. Hes a big bloke, he made a right fuss of Rob as an apology. So nice of the club and thanks to Jane in the ticket office for sorting it out for him. She was an old friend of his so that helped.

Hi everyone. Just thought I would post today that Elliott had his first trip to Ashton Gate today. I took some of the good advice I received about taking him up on a non match day to start with. It was part of the Easter Event arranged by Bristol Sport. He had a great time and got to look around the ground, the staff were great with him. He met Matty Taylor & Joe Bryan, who again were brilliant with him. Can't thank them all enough. Once again, thanks for all your posts & im glad it seemed to help others with similar issues. COYR 

38 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Hi everyone. Just thought I would post today that Elliott had his first trip to Ashton Gate today. I took some of the good advice I received about taking him up on a non match day to start with. It was part of the Easter Event arranged by Bristol Sport. He had a great time and got to look around the ground, the staff were great with him. He met Matty Taylor & Joe Bryan, who again were brilliant with him. Can't thank them all enough. Once again, thanks for all your posts & im glad it seemed to help others with similar issues. COYR 

Ah I'm so glad he had a good time.

Hi again guys & gals. Elliott saw his first City game today! What a game to choose! Things went better than expected, thanks to a very brave boy & some great advice on here.  Although things were a bit tricky outside the ground with the entertainment etc. We sat up high in the Lansdown stand and he wore his ear defenders, munched on Cheddars & waved at Matty Taylor! We had a few moments but overall a great first match day experience for Elliott & not even the result/performance can detract how happy I am with today. I have also been in touch with the club with regards a sensory room & im pleased to say I've had a positive reply back. So hopefully some more news on that during the summer. COYR 

Archived