IGNORED

Palace v Arsenal

Maesknoll Red

31 minutes ago, RedM said:

Bit like my Arsenal supporting other half then! After coming home to him a week ago from Preston, never mind most other games this season, is it cruel that I'm kind of enjoying his upset?!

@Redm when I stop laughing I will try and give you another like but it might be next year

9 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Calm down with the palace love in! Best atmosphere my arse!! 

You obviously don't travel much to watch football, probably basing your ill-informed thoughts on what you see and hear in BS3...

Palace fans have led the way in home 'support' for years....you obviously haven't experienced many such atmospheres so can't compare and contrast...

Chelsea have attracted a completely new breed of supporter since Abramovich came in. They were mental in the 80s, to the point where Ken Bates wanted to electrocute his own customers. Now th biggest danger you are likely to face at the Bridge is to your financial health.

Man U's away support is outstanding, they went through their entire repertoire of songs going back years during the second half yesterday. OT is a joke, long gone are the days when the Stretford End intimidated Maradona and sucked the ball into the net. But again, they have largely eradI cared the hooligan element that were a real problem there in the 70s and 80s.

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

You obviously don't travel much to watch football, probably basing your ill-informed thoughts on what you see and hear in BS3...

Palace fans have led the way in home 'support' for years....you obviously haven't experienced many such atmospheres so can't compare and contrast...

I'm not getting in a Superfan contest mate but I'm Probably one of the most travelled city fan going! Watching England home and away and also taking games in all over the world! 

So I know a atmosphere when I see one and some school kids dressed in black at selhurst park trying to copy the Italian ultras is not that!   

Just now, Spoons said:

I'm not getting in a Superfan contest mate but I'm Probably one of the most travelled city fan going! Watching England home and away and also taking games in all over the world! 

So I know a atmosphere when I see one and some school kids dressed in black at selhurst park trying to copy the Italian ultras is not that!   

I've also watched football around the world, but as you said, this ain't a superfan contest - but what I can't understand is that you don't think Palace have one of the best home supports in this country...because they do in terms of noise and singing...no,doubt, no contest...

I've also watched football around the world, but as you said, this ain't a superfan contest - but what I can't understand is that you don't think Palace have one of the best home supports in this country...because they do in terms of noise and singing...no,doubt, no contest...

We have to agree to disagree. Dortmund v schalke , now that was a atmosphere ! 

Palace are loud and visually impressive, no doubt, but I find it all a bit contrived. Of course they're louder than just about everyone else in the PL at home but that really isn't much of a challenge these days. 

As much as Big Sam isn't to everyone's taste, and there are probably limits to how high he can take a team, there's no one better at getting teams out of trouble. As Carragher just said on Sky, if you were the chairman of a PL club fighting relegation and had a managerial vacancy, he's the first name you'd look for to see if he's available. 

Interesting to note that Selhurst Park hasn't always been notable for good atmosphere, it's something they made a conscious effort to improve relatively recently. They weren't particularly impressive in the first leg of the playoff against us in '08 I recall - in fact it was far better at AG in the return (albeit that was a very, very special night for our club).

Where there's a will there's a way but there doesn't seem to be the will at a lot of clubs unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Spoons said:

We have to agree to disagree. Dortmund v schalke , now that was a atmosphere ! 

In your view which club produces the best atmosphere in this country, generally? (I know Palace won 3-0 against Arsenal tonight).

Germany is superb for atmospheres and cheap! One of the best I heard was at Wolfsburg vs Bielefeld would you believe!

I paid 32 euros for a ticket at Dortmund and that included the travel to and from the game! Amazing value. This was only two years ago as well. 

Atmosphere wise I like German football as it involves all fans rather than a section of the ground. I would also add the stadia are old school close to the pitch etc.

21 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

In your view which club produces the best atmosphere in this country, generally? (I know Palace won 3-0 against Arsenal tonight).

Portsmouth , Leeds ( I hate to say it) , spurs( went to spurs v millwall da cup recently) off the top of my head recently. 

Also west ham at the Boleyn ! 

Playing devils advocate for a moment it wasn't always better back in the day - aside from the hooligan problem crowds were pitifully tiny by the 1980s and going to a lot of games, especially down the divisions was like watching a park kickabout at times. It wasn't always a wall of noise.

So perhaps it becomes a bit of a trade-off - less noise but safer venues and greater numbers.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

And once again Palace show the rest of us what a proper home atmosphere should sound like....

Awesome home support over many seasons....

And the 'Big Sam' haters on here can also hide away once more....3-0 up against Arsenal, 5 wins from the last 6 games, he's never been relegated....but obviously not good enough for Bristol City as many pronounced when he was unemployed....

This is like Warnock no one thinks they're not good enough, just don't like the style of football their teams play. Look at Pulis when he was here.

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

The noise sounds awesome.

The Palace fans are chanting"Arsene Wenger we want you to stay"

Brilliant.

It is a great atmosphere. 

One contributing factor, often overlooked, it that live TV coverage means plenty of microphones around the ground, often pointing at the crowd. 

Watch highlights of BCFC and the crowd aren't miked up. AND the atmosphere is shit. 

55 minutes ago, Spoons said:

IMO opinion grounds create atmosphere not so much the fans. Might seem a strange idea but I'm convinced on it. The bigger and better the stadia , the worse the atmosphere.

Having said that selhurst park looks and sounds better on TV than in reality. Been there 3 times with city and average atmosphere's , watched it back on TV seemed amazing .

There are a few bundesliga teams with huge modern *footy* stadiums with cracking atmospheres. That reminds me, safe standing anyone?

34 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Portsmouth , Leeds ( I hate to say it) , spurs( went to spurs v millwall da cup recently) off the top of my head recently. 

Also west ham at the Boleyn ! 

Pompey I'll give you and Spurs when they get going at WHL. But I've been to the Boleyn 3 times in the past 10 years (once with City) and each time the atmosphere was dreadful, genuinely one of the quietest I've ever experienced. We completely outsung them on that Tuesday night game and our support wasn't even that impressive.

Leeds are pretty meh of late. I agree with others that Palace are up there at the moment, can't think of many better.

Ive come to the conclusion which is further backed up by many posts above, is that every ground can create an atmosphere on certain occasions.

I was shocked that we completely outsang the brum home crowd when we lost 4-2 last season. I have also seen how bad the atmosphere was at home to Burton!

What cringes me out is that some stadia atmosphere is over hyped purely because its prem. First it was with Stoke then Burnley and now Palace. Just shows how shit the atmosphere in the prem is.

8 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

What cringes me out is that some stadia atmosphere is over hyped purely because its prem. First it was with Stoke then Burnley and now Palace. Just shows how shit the atmosphere in the prem is.

And to be fair to Palace the atmosphere has been noted as unusually good  at Selhurst for over a decade. Much of that has to be down to a burgeoning Ultra (cough) group who songs are copied by fans of numerous other clubs. City fans? Lost it.

9 hours ago, Spoons said:

I paid 32 euros for a ticket at Dortmund and that included the travel to and from the game! Amazing value. This was only two years ago as well. 

Atmosphere wise I like German football as it involves all fans rather than a section of the ground. I would also add the stadia are old school close to the pitch etc.

With fans standing and not sat in neat rows. Also a lack of Stewards / Police who automatically assume you're a hooligan if you try getting a song or chant started.

23 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

And to be fair to Palace the atmosphere has been noted as unusually good  at Selhurst for over a decade. Much of that has to be down to a burgeoning Ultra (cough) group who songs are copied by fans of numerous other clubs. City fans? Lost it.

We still have our good days but nothing like the GJ era. Its a common trend in the football league with all the new stadiums and redevelopment. 

3 minutes ago, Tiree said:

A lot is contrived eg piping chants at Old Trafford (fact). Selhurst appears good at present and i wonder what A.G will be like when we get full houses in the Championship. First indication will be the 'must win' game this Friday and of course, the Sell-Out party atmosphere v Brum. If you want atmosphere, get to A.G and help create it. No need to go to Germany though their pre-match is good; something like what BCFC are trying to do with outdoor music and refreshments. Someone took the chance to mention Big Sam when it came to this thread on atmosphere; surely he could bung a few quid to locals to get it going at any ground; coz bunging is what he does. CAnt see a crook being part of the A.G regime

Crook ?

41 minutes ago, Tiree said:

wasnt he sacked from England for irregularities? Like Pullis and many other 'old school' managers there is the grey side to our national sport and with the media being all over it there is little chance of an owner running a highly scrutinised and regulated business for his day job allowing the grey to turn to black with his sporting interest, which is still a mega business for most of us.

No

And 'crook' suggests he's a criminal 

Selhurst Park is pretty good. Not just in the PL era either.

I first noticed, became aware of their Holmesdale Fanatics when I went to Palace away in Jan 2011. I noticed an impressive atmosphere and lots of standing...rather weirdly though stewards made us away fans sit down which surprised me as I assumed it was a given that away fans tend to stand.

Palace seems a real club though, proper fans, credit to them.

On the point about grander, bigger stadia having less atmosphere...agree to a point. Bernebau and Nou Camp are not great for that but plenty of big stadia in Europe with a great atmosphere, relatively new builds among them too! So it's a mixed bag but certainly lots of corporates and day trippers at the major grounds for sure.

14 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

And once again Palace show the rest of us what a proper home atmosphere should sound like....

Awesome home support over many seasons....

And the 'Big Sam' haters on here can also hide away once more....3-0 up against Arsenal, 5 wins from the last 6 games, he's never been relegated....but obviously not good enough for Bristol City as many pronounced when he was unemployed....

Always rated him. He came on as a sub in our first Mickey Mouse Cup Final, IIRC.

I loved his line "I'll never get to manage a Big Club unless I change my name to Allardici." ;) 

2 hours ago, Tiree said:

A lot is contrived eg piping chants at Old Trafford (fact)....

Not true. Man Utd brought in audio experts to help them with advice on how to boost the atmosphere because other parts of the stadium were saying they couldn't hear the Stretford End - even when it was in full voice. So they took it seriously and got independent, expert advice on how to get around this. They didn't 'pipe chants'...

Archived