IGNORED

Ashton United

Septic Peg

Right, technically not City related but going to mention it anyway...

So I'm a big fan of Adam Thurston who is a groundhopper from Bristol and posts his vlogs on YouTube. You can find his channel here if interested... https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCOGA9bKTQqOnki9Oz_InnOA

So his most recent game was today at Ashton United and I was curious as to how many things are shared between us. Both clubs are located in a place called Ashton, both in red and white, both called the robins.

How many other obscure or not teams are there that we share more than just one or two variables with? 

Note: Yes Swindon play in red and yes they are called the robins too but I was thinking about more than that. Maybe similar sized stadia (if a foreign team) or maybe owned by a bloke who intends to bequeath it to his heir... 

Not City, but a few years ago now (10-11 years maybe) I watched Mangotsfield play an away game against Fleet Town, and was surprised to see the two grounds were a spitting image of each other.

I realise many non-league grounds are similar, but this was uncanny. Everything from the main stand size, relative areas of cover from each other and even the clubhouse.

35 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Not City, but a few years ago now (10-11 years maybe) I watched Mangotsfield play an away game against Fleet Town, and was surprised to see the two grounds were a spitting image of each other.

I realise many non-league grounds are similar, but this was uncanny. Everything from the main stand size, relative areas of cover from each other and even the clubhouse.

I've got a third ,then......Heybridge Swifts, dead ringer for Cosshem St !

11 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Looks like your standard overweight youtube weirdo so no surprise he is a gashead

In his defence YouTube is the fastest growing independent online platform in the world. The total users make over $13 billion dollars a year on it, the future of 'work', how times are changing.

15 minutes ago, Tammys Scan said:

He's gas>city and often patronises our club/fans whilst blowing smoke up theirs. Good videos, committed guy & I do enjoy a watch but his personal comments? :gasmask:

Edit: Had a quick look, only one I could find

I watched his video for the Hudds home game (he was in the Atyeo) and he was very fair, said the atmosphere was brilliant. Can't be that gas

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I watched his video for the Hudds home game (he was in the Atyeo) and he was very fair, said the atmosphere was brilliant. Can't be that gas

I was born into a Chelsea supporting family so have naturally supported them. When I started watching football live, as a City ST holder from 2008-2011 I also played for Bristol Rovers Academy so had free tickets every week. Hence the "sitting on the fence attitude". I just love watching football and the way that football is going over the last couple of years, blogging at games has become extremely popular. Didn't know it made me an overweight wierdo though haha!

I'd want nothing more than to see a Bristol derby in the top flight or in the higher divisions at some point, god knows if it would happen but I am not a gas head haha! 

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

So I'm a big fan of Adam Thurston who is a groundhopper from Bristol and posts his vlogs on YouTube. You can find his channel here if interested... https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCOGA9bKTQqOnki9Oz_InnOA

So his most recent game was today at Ashton United and I was curious as to how many things are shared between us. Both clubs are located in a place called Ashton, both in red and white, both called the robins.

How many other obscure or not teams are there that we share more than just one or two variables with? 

Note: Yes Swindon play in red and yes they are called the robins too but I was thinking about more than that. Maybe similar sized stadia (if a foreign team) or maybe owned by a bloke who intends to bequeath it to his heir... 

Wow, that made me sit up. Half a million years ago I use to play a bit for Ashton United, in the Bristol and District league. (I know, I know, not the one you're talking about). Think it was about division 4, so officially cr4p. We played our home games at Greville Smith Park and occasionally, if kick off times lined up, we'd have an audience of a hundred or so, making their way to the City game. The spectators weren't always all that complimentary about our skills (my entry for understatement of the century).

2 hours ago, Tammys Scan said:

He's gas>city and often patronises our club/fans whilst blowing smoke up theirs. Good videos, committed guy & I do enjoy a watch but his personal comments? :gasmask:

Edit: Had a quick look, only one I could find

Not sure where the surprise is in that...

Their first visit to Bolton since 1989.

Since then we've had visits to Preston in 1990, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015 (x2). Yes, there were some redevelopments at the stadium in that time but anyone "ticking off" Deepdale has had more than a few opportunities to visit it with City.

2 hours ago, AdamThurston said:

I was born into a Chelsea supporting family so have naturally supported them. When I started watching football live, as a City ST holder from 2008-2011 I also played for Bristol Rovers Academy so had free tickets every week. Hence the "sitting on the fence attitude". I just love watching football and the way that football is going over the last couple of years, blogging at games has become extremely popular. Didn't know it made me an overweight wierdo though haha!

I'd want nothing more than to see a Bristol derby in the top flight or in the higher divisions at some point, god knows if it would happen but I am not a gas head haha! 

Shit... sorry Adam! Didn't expect you to come on here and having to start defending yourself... sorry fella. I am a big fan of yours though, even if you are Chelsea or Grimsby or Rovers or whoever! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Calculus said:

Wow, that made me sit up. Half a million years ago I use to play a bit for Ashton United, in the Bristol and District league. (I know, I know, not the one you're talking about). Think it was about division 4, so officially cr4p. We played our home games at Greville Smith Park and occasionally, if kick off times lined up, we'd have an audience of a hundred or so, making their way to the City game. The spectators weren't always all that complimentary about our skills (my entry for understatement of the century).

Wow! Had no idea there was another Ashton United! Are they still going do you know? Would be interesting to see if we can suggest to @Mkelly about a possible friendly if so. Gotta be done surely?

12 hours ago, AdamThurston said:

I enjoy your videos Adam.. Take no notice of the personal abuse and keep up the good work!!

I do have to correct you regarding your comment about away support at Preston/Bolton though... It was Rovers first ever visit to the Macron Stadium (or whatever its called these days) and a rare opportunity for them to visit a decent ground after years of trips to Accrington, Barnet etc. Our visit to Preston was something like our 8th visit there in 10 years, and it came 3 days after we sold out the away end at Brentford.

I think thats quite easy to "get ones head around" is it not? Our away support has been consistantly better than Rovers ever since I can remember and the figures back it up.

9 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Shit... sorry Adam! Didn't expect you to come on here and having to start defending yourself... sorry fella. I am a big fan of yours though, even if you are Chelsea or Grimsby or Rovers or whoever! :thumbsup:

Wow! Had no idea there was another Ashton United! Are they still going do you know? Would be interesting to see if we can suggest to @Mkelly about a possible friendly if so. Gotta be done surely?

Just checked - looks like they're still going in the Bristol and Suburban league, playing in all red at Filwood (which I believe in in West Knowle). Wouldn't have thought they'd be good enough for that sort of friendly though...

1 minute ago, Calculus said:

Just checked - looks like they're still going in the Bristol and Suburban league, playing in all red at Filwood (which I believe in in West Knowle). Wouldn't have thought they'd be good enough for that sort of friendly though...

Ah, if only a kick about with the under 23s. I think it would be good if we started working with non league teams. Helps them get some cash/awareness and we might spot unknown talent... look at Matty Taylor...

7 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Ah, if only a kick about with the under 23s. I think it would be good if we started working with non league teams. Helps them get some cash/awareness and we might spot unknown talent... look at Matty Taylor...

Agree with that - think we might of played someone of a similar standard in last year's pre season. Can't remember who though. Not sure where I heard it, or whether it's really true, but I believe that Bristol has one of the largest Saturday afternoon leagues - all potential supporters who can't come to games.

14 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

When Arsenal, who play in red & white, were looking for a site to build the Emirates Stadium, they settled on some land at ASHburTON GrovE.

Going back to Peg's op, I have always thought of Nottingham Forest as a team similar to us.

Similar home kit. They used to have a stand similar to the old East End. 2 football league teams in the city plus one county cricket team. Both cities had an important tobacco industry. Both have an area called Clifton. Both have a river running close by the ground. Both have a castle. And finally.....both have won a European trophy ( can't remember their version but we won the more prestigious Welsh Cup).

30 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

And finally.....both have won a European trophy ( can't remember their version but we won the more prestigious Welsh Cup).

We also won the Anglo-Scottish Cup. Does that therefore, make us British Champions?

Another link between us & Forest is that they play at the City Ground and Ashton Gate is frequently referred to as the City Ground. The other team in Nottingham combines white with another colour and usually (in the last fifty years), play in the lower divisions.

3 hours ago, Calculus said:

Is West Knowle the new posh name created by Estate Agents?

3 hours ago, Calculus said:

Agree with that - think we might of played someone of a similar standard in last year's pre season. Can't remember who though. Not sure where I heard it, or whether it's really true, but I believe that Bristol has one of the largest Saturday afternoon leagues - all potential supporters who can't come to games.

If they really wanted to support City they could play in one of the Sunday leagues and do both.

Having been up on the Downs while a few teams were meeting up pre match, it seemed a fair percentage are non Bristolians anyway.

14 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

We actually played a pre season friendly against them prior to the 2013/14 season

16 hours ago, Calculus said:

Not sure if I'm mis-remembering but wasn't there also a team called Exeter United who played at Ashton Park too? 

12 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Not sure if I'm mis-remembering but wasn't there also a team called Exeter United who played at Ashton Park too? 

Exeter and P&W merged to form ashton utd.   Ashton Boys (not connected to ashton utd) merged with backwell utd to form ashton & backwell utd.  It was ashton & backwell utd where city played a pre season friendly 4 years ago.    I think that sums it up but stand to be corrected.

Just now, Bcfc2009 said:

Exeter and P&W merged to form ashton utd.   Ashton Boys (not connected to ashton utd) merged with backwell utd to form ashton & backwell utd.  It was ashton & backwell utd where city played a pre season friendly 4 years ago.    I think that sums it up but stand to be corrected.

Sums it up perfectly

11 minutes ago, Bcfc2009 said:

Glad I'm not making stuff up. Who were P&W?

18 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Massive fan of his aswell!

17 hours ago, AdamThurston said:

Good to hear Adam! I'm a huge fan of your videos keep it up!

Archived