IGNORED

Amazingly only 4 teams

OldlandReddies

6 minutes ago, ploppy said:

Our away form is truly shocking

Historically it's always been that way over many years.

i can remember back in the 70s that no other side looked forward to visiting AG but we did have a reputation of being less than impressive away from home.

23 minutes ago, Tiree said:

lets home the new stadium, revised seating plan and the new optimists onthis Forum will spread the word to all mates and other, non-Forum Fans that we should make AG hostile next season, noisey and a place like the 70s when no away team liked to come. Even 2 years ago we had a 'fortress' so surely we can build that again next season? Even though some people still criticize Lj we hardly ever got stuffed apart from PNE which i was at and many clubs as high ar Reading would like our ability to score regularly and not get tonked.

in our 4-0 win  games some people have forgotten, we were brilliant and in many games since we have smashed'bigger clubs' with bigger traditions and bigger crowds.

So how about a period with no posts from TFJ et al and other moaners and a period of support for what the club are trying to do. It aint difficult

Yes, I'm sure we're the envy of Reading right now. :blink:

2 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Reading these replies you would have thought we were talking about a team sitting comfortably top half not one that has had to hit top 2 form in last few games just to pull clear. Just shows what might have been without that disasterous 20 game run we had in the middle of two superb runs.

yes that small blip in the middle.

3 hours ago, ploppy said:

Our away form is truly shocking

Most of our away draws should have been wins and some of the losses been wins or draws Sheffield wed was the strangest loss. Barnsley should have won, wolves was close and could easily have been a draw. Rotherham should have  been a win not a draw and Huddersfield a draw not a loss. Derby, Newcastle both should have been wins and you could say we had a poor decision against v Leeds. Qpr we were poor but should have drawn. Brum we deserved a draw at least. 

Only v Preston, Ipswich Forrest and villa were we truly bad and deserved nothing.  Not great v Cardiff either. 

I went to 16 games saw 3 wins 4 draws 9 losses, With better game management it could have been 6 wins 5 draws and 5 losses. 

4 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Reading these replies you would have thought we were talking about a team sitting comfortably top half not one that has had to hit top 2 form in last few games just to pull clear. Just shows what might have been without that disasterous 20 game run we had in the middle of two superb runs.

Would say was more of a 12 game run really, either side of it...was patchy but not that woeful. 11 in 12 was the real killer.

Preston at home? @Super I thought we could have got at least a point there, perhaps even a win. We started that game very well and we hit woodwork 2nd half, we had a bad period in it but Preston at home we could really have won that! Certainly shouldn't have lost it in any case.

@RedSA @Tiree to be honest...Reading are in some ways seem an anomaly. Yes they boss possession at times it seems, which helps a lot but overall performances, underlying numbers certainly are not a top 6 side! That or they are uber clinical, efficent.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would say was more of a 12 game run really, either side of it...was patchy but not that woeful. 11 in 12 was the real killer.

Preston at home? @Super I thought we could have got at least a point there, perhaps even a win. We started that game very well and we hit woodwork 2nd half, we had a bad period in it but Preston at home we could really have won that! Certainly shouldn't have lost it in any case.

@RedSA @Tiree to be honest...Reading are in some ways seem an anomaly. Yes they boss possession at times it seems, which helps a lot but overall performances, underlying numbers certainly are not a top 6 side! That or they are uber clinical, efficent.

I meant preston being we never really got going and preston were better team but brentford we had so many chances, reading we were 2 up and Cardiff ahead twice.

7 hours ago, redfieldred said:

Most of our away draws should have been wins and some of the losses been wins or draws Sheffield wed was the strangest loss. Barnsley should have won, wolves was close and could easily have been a draw. Rotherham should have  been a win not a draw and Huddersfield a draw not a loss. Derby, Newcastle both should have been wins and you could say we had a poor decision against v Leeds. Qpr we were poor but should have drawn. Brum we deserved a draw at least. 

Only v Preston, Ipswich Forrest and villa were we truly bad and deserved nothing.  Not great v Cardiff either. 

I went to 16 games saw 3 wins 4 draws 9 losses, With better game management it could have been 6 wins 5 draws and 5 losses. 

What these stats show to me is we played great football, often even when we lost, we played well for long periods but the belief once we conceded drained from our team like a sieve. I have never experienced the feeling of going ahead in a game to make me more nervous. It got to the point I would rather stay at 0-0 as scoring just seemed to put pressure on us. We cannot blame AG as it now has 4 sides and I think the fans have been amazing this season. Even near the end of this run, the booing was rare and we got behind the team, many other fans would have turned far quicker. He was an inexperienced manager wth a defensive coach, who just didn't know what to do to stem the flow of goals. The travesty at right back, and persisting with Magnussen and the injury to Korey Smith have been critical for me and I imagine for LJ. Lets hope he has learnt that successful teams are built on on miserly defences and we do not waste having a top class striker like we did this year.

31 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

.....and I imagine for LJ. Lets hope he has learnt that successful teams are built on on miserly defences and we do not waste having a top class striker like we did this year.

Will all due respect, I knew that when I was playing u-9s football - should it take a professional football manager many seasons to learn and realise a solid defence is a must to make any progress?!

11 hours ago, Super said:

I meant preston being we never really got going and preston were better team but brentford we had so many chances, reading we were 2 up and Cardiff ahead twice.

I thought we were worth a point v Preston, agree on the other points- though arguably a point v Brentford would also have been about right but we did hit the woodwork twice in the latter.

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Will all due respect, I knew that when I was playing u-9s football - should it take a professional football manager many seasons to learn and realise a solid defence is a must to make any progress?!

And yet when we have had decent defences in the past, the problem of how we play is brought up on this site.  The number of comments saying - alright we are grinding out wins and draws, but the standard of football is rubbish.  This was the case towards the end of Johnson senior's run. I remember it well. 

We were upper half of the table, but were getting hammered by the better sides home and away. Despite a decent league position the moaning on here was constant. So pragmatism isn't good enough either. 

Its got to be great football and great results otherwise the knives are out. 

Is the thing, a couple more losses turned into draws- which should have been viable given the number of goals in the last 10 conceded- and we could even be looking at overtaking Ipswich or Wolves. Think we need to apply a bit more pragmatism when required- given we are a midtable side it doesn't have to be flair every week- agree broadly with @redfieldred .

Archived