IGNORED

York city

Red Army 75

Just been listening myself, as live in York and have a number of YCFC supporting friends/colleagues; gutted for them.

I've little doubt it'll ruin the club; they have zero money and they'll be playing at a local level so will cost a fortune to maintain what was a decent stadium in League Two, let alone the National League.

Makes me grateful we've avoided the drop, and is a lesson in 'too big to go down'; they've are undoubtedly a big side to be in non-league. 

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

2014 league 2 play offs. 2017 Relegated to National north. Growing up city played them regularly. Final whistle went just silence . Shame 

Remember that night we beat them 1-0 at Ashton Gate, Paul Stevens goal. 

Ralph Milne up there last minute winner. 

As you say we seemed to play them a fair bit back then, Denis Smith was their manager for a fair while. 

1 minute ago, glynriley said:

Remember that night we beat them 1-0 at Ashton Gate, Paul Stevens goal. 

Loved that night, midweek game under the lights, top of the table clash, 1983, 4th div, 11k crowd, East End was a cauldron....great memories....York were flying back then with players who went onto great things...

Think we beat them ? 4-1 in our 75/76 promotion season and made a rare appearance on MoD with Tom Ritchie getting a couple , maybe a hat trick ?

Remember hanging off the top of the fence when Ralph Milne floated in that late winner up there

Back to back relegations - awful for their supporters - let's hope they can at least get back to Vanarama next season

I well remember that fixture at York when Rolph Milne scored a beauty in the 89th minute to seal our place in the play offs that year. Probably the worst player on the pitch that day scored goal of the season! Happy memories of a car-load of friends barreling down the motorway in my old Vauxhall Chevette.

My commiserations to the York faithful.

Can remember playing the  y fronts in the 70's they had a y on the front of their shirts a very sad demise - also saw them play Millwall on a train trip to York on a Sunday school outing when we got off the train the coppers thought we were Millwall fans vicar wasn't impressed we were a rough lot 

2 minutes ago, Kodes said:

I well remember that fixture at York when Rolph Milne scored a beauty in the 89th minute to seal our place in the play offs that year. Probably the worst player on the pitch that day scored goal of the season! Happy memories of a car-load of friends barreling down the motorway in my old Vauxhall Chevette.

My commiserations to the York faithful.

A chevette? To York? How many breakdowns?

20 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think we beat them ? 4-1 in our 75/76 promotion season and made a rare appearance on MoD with Tom Ritchie getting a couple , maybe a hat trick ?

Definitely a hat trick Bob, Tom always said it was one of his favourite games.

Got a feeling Cheese got a hat trick in the away fixture that season, also a 4-1 win.

31 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Remember hanging off the top of the fence when Ralph Milne floated in that late winner up there

Back to back relegations - awful for their supporters - let's hope they can at least get back to Vanarama next season

Beat me to it.  It just shows when you get on that slope how far you can slide.

The 'football special' train up to York in '83/84 was a great day.

Iirc correctly Tom Ritchie also scored the winner that day after returning to City to help us out of the 4th division.

As an aside, Tom and Chris Garland are the only players to have represented City in all 4 divisions.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Iirc correctly Tom Ritchie also scored the winner that day after returning to City to help us out of the 4th division.

As an aside, Tom and Chris Garland are the only players to have represented City in all 4 divisions.

John Shaw must of played in all divisions?

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It was a Trevor Morgan equaliser (I think) for a 1-1 draw.

2 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

It was a Trevor Morgan equaliser (I think) for a 1-1 draw.

You're right, it was 1-1 in 83/84.

The train trip may have been the next season, after both clubs had been promoted, and we won 2-0.

Definitely got a memory of Tom Ritchie scoring right in front of us in that York open end.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

You're right, it was 1-1 in 83/84.

The train trip may have been the next season, after both clubs had been promoted, and we won 2-0.

Definitely got a memory of Tom Ritchie scoring right in front of us in that York open end.

The train trip was deffo the 4th div promotion season.....I remember getting on at Cheltenham. Sunny day in York, from memory.

Maybe Tam scoring was our first season in the basement?

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I bow to your knowledge Noggers and I may may be wrong, but didn't Paul Stevens play for us in all 4?

2 minutes ago, glynriley said:

I bow to your knowledge Noggers and I may may be wrong, but didn't Paul Stevens play for us in all 4?

Don't think he played for us at the second level Glyn, after a top flight debut at Boro' there was a very long gap before getting back in the side when we dropped through to the old Third Division?

Could of course be wrong..

7 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

The train trip was deffo the 4th div promotion season.....I remember getting on at Cheltenham. Sunny day in York, from memory.

Maybe Tam scoring was our first season in the basement?

I'm sure you're right, a sunny March day setting off at TM whereas the next season was in October.

It'll remain a mystery but it doesn't really matter which game it was - it was a fantastic train trip, and a great goal from Tom whichever game it was!

10 minutes ago, glynriley said:

I've just looked him up on Wiki, glyn, and looks like you're right. Stevens made a single 1st Div. appearance, deputising for Sweeney, then appeared in all the lower divisions, including being ever present in the the side that was relegated to the basement.

So I stand corrected - and so should Tom's wiki page -  Tom Ritchie, Chris Garland and Paul Stevens have played for CIty in all 4 divisions.

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Definitely a hat trick Bob, Tom always said it was one of his favourite games.

Got a feeling Cheese got a hat trick in the away fixture that season, also a 4-1 win.

Tom Richie got the hat trick in the away fixture. As another poster said it was on match of the day. My wife can't understand why I can't remember what she told me yesterday but I can remember details of City games from 50 years ago!

27 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I've just looked him up on Wiki, glyn, and looks like you're right. Stevens made a single 1st Div. appearance, deputising for Sweeney, then appeared in all the lower divisions, including being ever present in the the side that was relegated to the basement.

So I stand corrected - and so should Tom's wiki page -  Tom Ritchie, Chris Garland and Paul Stevens have played for CIty in all 4 divisions.

Cheers Nogs. Always had a soft spot for Stevens, probably because he was the one kid from that 80's group who saw the full horror of our fall from grace.

Would love to see some of those lads invited back to Ashton Gate one day, the likes of Stevens, Musker, Economou, Bray, Newman and Llewellyn ( if he's out!!)

anyone under 40 won't have a clue what we're on about!!

Archived