IGNORED

York city

Red Army 75

Seen all the matches  mentioned in this thread    , one that was overlooked was the night match on our last visit   "feed the GOAT" Last game before moving on to  better things at Man City before they got relegated  ! that season  And we enjoyed promotion  WIth John Ward up to the 2nd teir !

On 29/04/2017 at 23:09, East Yorkshire CideRed said:

Quite a few youngsters round my way train with York City. Next season they'll be just 2 divisions above one of our other local sides Scarborough Athletic.

Went to Scarborough once. 1. ******* cold all year 2.    i'm stuck

2. do GREAT fish and chips

On 4/29/2017 at 21:26, samo II said:

Just been listening myself, as live in York and have a number of YCFC supporting friends/colleagues; gutted for them.

I've little doubt it'll ruin the club; they have zero money and they'll be playing at a local level so will cost a fortune to maintain what was a decent stadium in League Two, let alone the National League.

Makes me grateful we've avoided the drop, and is a lesson in 'too big to go down'; they've are undoubtedly a big side to be in non-league. 

i agree with many others in fondness of playing York especially those games in the Fourth Division promotion year and here is a reminder where we both ended up:-

5906b39fc42b9_ScreenShot2017-05-01at11_56_04AM.png.545ae6cc119e720bcfcba74246390644.png

York were undoubtedly the best team that season as the gap in points attests. City were knocking around top spot for a while but we fell away badly toward the end scrapping with Donny and Reading for the remaining places. I was at Bootham Crescent that season as well; it was a bit run down back then but lovely spot in the middle of the City near the Minster.

I am not sure I would agree with you though about York being 'undoubtedly a big side to be in non-league'; Conference National that is. York are a team who have spent all but one season in the bottom two divisions and have had to apply for re-election 7 times. Their Conference is perhaps our Division 3. That they will be in the Conference North next season is probably them finding themselves, like we did, in Division 4 for the first time all those years ago. For sure it will hurt. But remember, City had no money then either. if York galvanize with a good manager and a young and hungry set of players and they fill their ground with support they can bounce straight back and I hope they do and come up with Workington, Bradford Park Avenue or Southport. Those now long lost ex league clubs; let us hope York do not become one of them.

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

i agree with many others in fondness of playing York especially those games in the Fourth Division promotion year and here is a reminder where we both ended up:-

5906b39fc42b9_ScreenShot2017-05-01at11_56_04AM.png.545ae6cc119e720bcfcba74246390644.png

York were undoubtedly the best team that season as the gap in points attests. City were knocking around top spot for a while but we fell away badly toward the end scrapping with Donny and Reading for the remaining places. I was at Bootham Crescent that season as well; it was a bit run down back then but lovely spot in the middle of the City near the Minster.

I am not sure I would agree with you though about York being 'undoubtedly a big side to be in non-league'; Conference National that is. York are a team who have spent all but one season in the bottom two divisions and have had to apply for re-election 7 times. Their Conference is perhaps our Division 3. That they will be in the Conference North next season is probably them finding themselves, like we did, in Division 4 for the first time all those years ago. For sure it will hurt. But remember, City had no money then either. if York galvanize with a good manager and a young and hungry set of players and they fill their ground with support they can bounce straight back and I hope they do and come up with Workington, Bradford Park Avenue or Southport. Those now long lost ex league clubs; let us hope York do not become one of them.

Yes, you're probably right, Havana - I'd not meant to imply they were all that big, but the fact they'll be below other undeniably tiny local teams such as Guisely and'll have derby games against Harrogate Town is shocking to most here, and will undoubtedly impact them financially. 

Many are concerned that with a large ground and likely small travelling crowds, as well as what is hoped will be a full time team to sustain next year, they simply will not be able to keep afloat.  

And despite the efforts of youth coach Steve Torpey (once of this parrish, of course), it is reported that they do not have a strong set of young players to compete, even at that low level which would perhaps suit that approach - the York schoolboys team recently won the regional league, yet the City notoriously have allowed the graduates from this team to be ignored, and got to other local sides.

They also have communication 'issues' with their fanbase, displayed most vividly by chairman Jason McGill having not given any form of interview for over two years, so essentially since they were a league club - many feel despite his backing of the club, he's too closely involved with the playing side, again exemplified by allowing previous manager Jackie MacNamara (who took them down to the conference, was kept on, then oversaw them slide to 20th in the same division) be allowed to 'step down' rather than be (rightfully) sacked, and then have him immediately appointed chief executive!

This sort of behaviour makes me realise that we are lucky to have SL, who will front up and stand by his decision making, as much as we may disagree with it - were we to have gone down, I have zero doubts he'd have spoken on it; but put yourself in a York City fans boots, as after two relegations, including out of the league, those making the executive decisions have stayed silent.

I'll be along to a few York City games next season, but is a sad time for them as a club.

PS - I should add that this whole situation is made even more bizarre as York will be contesting the FA Trophy final, after beating league-bound Lincoln in a two legged semi final.  It's entirely plausible they might head to the second tier if non-league with a cup under their arm, which is might unusual!

Probably the biggest club along with Stockport to have played at that level in recent years I reckon - Hereford bypassed that division didn`t they and went straight to the fifth(?) tier of non league?

Who do we reckon has been the `biggest` club to be relegated to non-league since automatic relegation came in? Luton for me although I suppose we have to grudgingly admit that it might be the blue few I suppose. Quite a few `sizeable` clubs have done it down the years though - Exeter, Lincoln, Carlisle, Doncaster, Torquay, Colchester, Mansfield, Grimsby, Leyton Orient, Tranmere, Wrexham, Oxford (?) and no doubt a few others I`ve forgotten.

22 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Probably the biggest club along with Stockport to have played at that level in recent years I reckon - Hereford bypassed that division didn`t they and went straight to the fifth(?) tier of non league?

Who do we reckon has been the `biggest` club to be relegated to non-league since automatic relegation came in? Luton for me although I suppose we have to grudgingly admit that it might be the blue few I suppose. Quite a few `sizeable` clubs have done it down the years though - Exeter, Lincoln, Carlisle, Doncaster, Torquay, Colchester, Mansfield, Grimsby, Leyton Orient, Tranmere, Wrexham, Oxford (?) and no doubt a few others I`ve forgotten.

I noticed around Xmas time that Stockport County were around the relegation zone of the National League North. They have recovered to finish 8th but what a come down for a club who were competing with us for many seasons. I remember Chris Malkin being a particular thorn in our side.

Just now, Port Said Red said:

I noticed around Xmas time that Stockport County were around the relegation zone of the National League North. They have recovered to finish 8th but what a come down for a club who were competing with us for many seasons. I remember Chris Malkin being a particular thorn in our side.

Kevin Francis is my big memory of them, about 6`7" IIRC.

Archived