IGNORED

We pooped on their party!!

Wanderingred

2 minutes ago, CrazyInWeston said:

While watching tonights game on Now TV, during a camera close up showing Lee Johnson, I could lip read a Brighton fan sitting behind him saying "This is ******* rubbish, ******* rubbish, this is ******* Bristol City we're playing"

Made me larf I tell you.

Quality...:yawn:

Funniest thing about the result was watching the Sky presenters desperately trying to think of something to fill the 30 minutes post match they had ready for the 'inevitable' celebration. 

This is football and particularly the Championship, anything can happen  

Always believe!

'Champions' scarves were for sale outside the ground - I think this was down to London entrepreneurs, more than Brighton…

Half the fans left after the final whistle (some even before :blink:) to get the train and didn't even see the lap of honour.

I do think these days, the contrived celebrations ruin the moment, when all you need is a pitch invasion, then everyone goes home. You can't beat it!

Yes, we spoilt their party, yes, they were probably expecting to beat us, but I'm not sure I get the anti Brighton vibe.

It was, rightly, a day of massive celebration for them, and the bottom line is that they are still going up, and this was their last home game. The atmosphere before the game was superb ( why can't we find a PA system and some music like that?) and I found the Brighton fans extremely gracious. There were a lot clapping our players, and even amongst those to our right there were a number applauding our fans at the end. 

On the train after they were disappointed that they hadn't turned up (and we know from our home game what they can play like when they do) but they were very complimentary about the City performance and genuinely thought we'd go on to do well next season. They want Tammy! And interestingly they really rate LJ and our decision to stick with him. 

It was only a small number of course, but certainly left me hoping they can win it next week!

Just now, italian dave said:

Yes, we spoilt their party, yes, they were probably expecting to beat us, but I'm not sure I get the anti Brighton vibe.

It was, rightly, a day of massive celebration for them, and the bottom line is that they are still going up, and this was their last home game. The atmosphere before the game was superb ( why can't we find a PA system and some music like that?) and I found the Brighton fans extremely gracious. There were a lot clapping our players, and even amongst those to our right there were a number applauding our fans at the end. 

On the train after they were disappointed that they hadn't turned up (and we know from our home game what they can play like when they do) but they were very complimentary about the City performance and genuinely thought we'd go on to do well next season. They want Tammy! And interestingly they really rate LJ and our decision to stick with him. 

It was only a small number of course, but certainly left me hoping they can win it next week!

Yes, I liked the poem and their music, also the lady singing 'Abide with Me', a nice touch.  The sound was much better but that might've been because I was pitch side and it wasn't distorted down there.

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes, I liked the poem and their music, also the lady singing 'Abide with Me', a nice touch.  The sound was much better but that might've been because I was pitch side and it wasn't distorted down there.

However nice it all was they should have left it until after the game tbh. LJ probably didn't even have to give a team talk.

11 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Apologies if it came across anti Brighton, it was really aimed at Sky. Best of luck to Brighton, they did the business over the season so deserve it.

Still nice to get sweet revenge for defeating us at our place and the play off final of course. 

A lesson learnt for our own celebrations when we get promoted

Treat the opposition with respect, don't hype it up before kick-off, and whatever happens get behind the team.  We outsang Brighton for much of the game, so much so that Sky blanked much of it out.  

Was close to pitchside and our players who came within earshot could clearly both hear and feel the support, there was a clear rapport between players and fans.  Full marks to Fielding for throwing his gloves to children in our crowd, even though his distribution lacked a certain something !! And to Flint who made sure a little boy got his shirt. As for Tammy he was clearly moved by the singing aimed specifically at him after final whistle.

One of those very special, and all too rare, occasions when supporting City provides a golden glow

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

Treat the opposition with respect, don't hype it up before kick-off, and whatever happens get behind the team.  We outsang Brighton for much of the game, so much so that Sky blanked much of it out.  

Was close to pitchside and our players who came within earshot could clearly both hear and feel the support, there was a clear rapport between players and fans.  Full marks to Fielding for throwing his gloves to children in our crowd, even though his distribution lacked a certain something !! And to Flint who made sure a little boy got his shirt. As for Tammy he was clearly moved by the singing aimed specifically at him after final whistle.

One of those very special, and all too rare, occasions when supporting City provides a golden glow

Fielding managing to fluff the throw so his glove hit the Steward was quite amusing!

28 minutes ago, italian dave said:

5 words...

Leon Knight. Diving cheating bastard.

No ill feeling towards BHA really.

45 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Oh, come on! Are you really saying that if we were in the position Brighton were in yesterday you wouldn't want us to be getting out the flags and having a celebration?

I don't know about Sky because I wasn't watching it on Sky. But I got no sense at all that Brighton or their fans were treating city with disrespect. The sense I got was that they were celebrating promotion to the Premiership, and rightly so. They've been on an incredible journey, from losing their ground, their fight for their new stadium, years in the lower leagues playing at a greyhound track. And now they have got a Chairman who is a Brighton fan, and a set up they can be proud of. This season they've had representatives from Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus and others come to look at their training and coaching facilities. They fill their ground, and they have gone about achieving success in the right way, not knee jerk short term decisions and trying to buy success.

Again, being at the game, where the City support was superb, it was hard to hear what was coming from elsewhere but certainly their support seemed subdued. But we know ourselves (our two play off finals) how hard it is to generate an atmosphere when it's a big day and your team just decides not to turn up. Credit to LJ and the players for that's too: we knew that we had to stop them having anything to cheer about and we did just that.

Yes, everything about City yesterday was great, and it was one of those days that makes all those miles following City to watch dire away performance worthwhile. But I just don't think that should take anything away from Brighton.

I hope that we will be there one day! Probably not next season, but the one after, nothing would be better and if we are then I for one hope that City will get the red and white flags out and celebrate the achievement for all it's worth.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Oh, come on! Are you really saying that if we were in the position Brighton were in yesterday you wouldn't want us to be getting out the flags and having a celebration?

I don't know about Sky because I wasn't watching it on Sky. But I got no sense at all that Brighton or their fans were treating city with disrespect. The sense I got was that they were celebrating promotion to the Premiership, and rightly so. They've been on an incredible journey, from losing their ground, their fight for their new stadium, years in the lower leagues playing at a greyhound track. And now they have got a Chairman who is a Brighton fan, and a set up they can be proud of. This season they've had representatives from Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus and others come to look at their training and coaching facilities. They fill their ground, and they have gone about achieving success in the right way, not knee jerk short term decisions and trying to buy success.

Again, being at the game, where the City support was superb, it was hard to hear what was coming from elsewhere but certainly their support seemed subdued. But we know ourselves (our two play off finals) how hard it is to generate an atmosphere when it's a big day and your team just decides not to turn up. Credit to LJ and the players for that's too: we knew that we had to stop them having anything to cheer about and we did just that.

Yes, everything about City yesterday was great, and it was one of those days that makes all those miles following City to watch dire away performance worthwhile. But I just don't think that should take anything away from Brighton.

I hope that we will be there one day! Probably not next season, but the one after, nothing would be better and if we are then I for one hope that City will get the red and white flags out and celebrate the achievement for all it's worth.

I think you totally missed my point about disrespect. It referred to the team not the fans.  They clearly thought they were going to walk it against a lowly side.

They were all set to celebrate being Champions that was what went wrong.  If we are in a similar position we should celebrate promotion and not be selling merchandise inscribed Champions.

As for Brighton as a team, they will need a major overhaul not to be totally embarrassed next season.  They looked nothing like a Premiership team, and good though we were we were hardly Chelsea.

Has to be one of the best results of recent times. I should know by now that City are likely to do the unexpectedly especially when it's on the least expected occasion. Enjoyed seeing us humiliate that lot in their ground. What an acquisition Matty Taylor is. You Reds.

Do not want to be greedy but what would top this off nicely would be Florist disappearing into Leauge 1.

Archived