IGNORED

We pooped on their party!!

Wanderingred

12 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

5 words...

Leon Knight. Diving cheating bastard.

No ill feeling towards BHA really.

I counted 13 , had too take my my dick out but still was short so took my right sock off to make 13

15 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I don`t mind that TBH. It`s `their` song and they`ve always played it, I just wish we had something unique like it. I know we`ve got the Wurzels but it`s not quite the same.

People from Sussex are really proud of it - I went to my mate`s mum`s funeral the other day and she was from Worthing and had it as one of the songs to be played at the crematorium. I even welled up a bit then if I`m honest.

I didn't mind it - it just seemed unusual given the more general trend for some stirring "chart" music at the start of games. It is the sort of thing that makes clubs individual and I like that.

Not quite the same but I always like Charlton playing "Into the Valley" by the Ruts as it fits. 

I like thinking about the boxes of "Champions" t-shirts they have stored away that might never be used. 

What happens to stuff like that? Must be loads of sports memorabilia created in expectation that proves to be useless. 

Bet Rovers have a few "We did it" t-shirts, ready for their Mansfield win. 

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

I like thinking about the boxes of "Champions" t-shirts they have stored away that might never be used. 

What happens to stuff like that? Must be loads of sports memorabilia created in expectation that proves to be useless. 

Bet Rovers have a few "We did it" t-shirts, ready for their Mansfield win. 

And no doubt a whole warehouse full of `Oh Yes!` memorabilia.

2 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

I didn't mind it - it just seemed unusual given the more general trend for some stirring "chart" music at the start of games. It is the sort of thing that makes clubs individual and I like that.

Not quite the same but I always like Charlton playing "Into the Valley" by the Ruts as it fits. 

No, I like it. It`s like Norwich and `On The Ball City` and Coventry with The Eton Boating Song - they`ve been singing those ever since I`ve been watching football and probably long before too and it`s great that the new generations of fans pick it up and go with it. There`s not many around these days - Birmingham with `Keep Right On To The End Of The Road` and Leeds with `Marching All Together` spring to mind but most of it is just too generic these days.

10 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

Love that song!

Is there a rockin' tune that mentions The/A Gate?

16 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

It`s The Skids and not The Ruts BTW.

Do Swansea still run out to White Riot?

11 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

No, I like it. It`s like Norwich and `On The Ball City` and Coventry with The Eton Boating Song - they`ve been singing those ever since I`ve been watching football and probably long before too and it`s great that the new generations of fans pick it up and go with it. There`s not many around these days - Birmingham with `Keep Right On To The End Of The Road` and Leeds with `Marching All Together` spring to mind but most of it is just too generic these days.

How about Goodnight Irene......... or shall we make an exception there :tomato: 

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

It`s The Skids and not The Ruts BTW.

Ooops getting my Babylon's burning mixed up - it's age you know

13 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

I'm sure when they're playing premiership football next season they'll look back at yesterday and be absolutely gutted.

Let them enjoy they're five minutes in the sun,they've earnt it.

I'm amazed how well Brighton have done this season,you look at the squad and what little they've spent it gives other teams hope and inspiration.I do think they will struggle big time next season though.

22 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Is there a rockin' tune that mentions The/A Gate?

How about:

I'm standing at the Gates of the West/ I burn money at the lights of the sign/ The City casts a shadow of the perfect crime

I'm standing at the Gates of the East/ I take my pulse and the pulse of my friend/ The City casts a shadow, will I see you again?

Just now, City Rocker said:

How about:

I'm standing at the Gates of the West/ I burn money at the lights of the sign/ The City casts a shadow of the perfect crime

I'm standing at the Gates of the East/ I take my pulse and the pulse of my friend/ The City casts a shadow, will I see you again?

That takes me back - still got that in a box in the attic along with about 200 other classics. I really am going to have to buy that turntable I keep promising myself!

7 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

How about:

Could be a good pre-match tune! Standing at the Gates of the West…

The City casts a shadow, will I see you again? Who could they be talking about, I wonder…?

54 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

The Skids did Into the Valley....but still a fine ditty!

23 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

5 words...

Leon Knight. Diving cheating bastard.

No ill feeling towards BHA really.

Granted, Peg, but we're not exactly whiter than white. Lee Tomlin. I'd hate to think our whole club was judged on that basis, least of all a decade on!!

18 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

That video sums up my hatred for modern football 2017. Plastic kid with plastic dad, bloke in his 50's wearing a shirt with a fn players name on it. Kid trying to get others to stand up when his team has a corner. All support/singing being led by the PA.

What's happened to our game, it's so fn sanitised. 

Yeah these kids that go and support their local team......... Makes you sick dunnit!

3 hours ago, FramptonRed said:

Let them enjoy they're five minutes in the sun,they've earnt it.

I'm amazed how well Brighton have done this season,you look at the squad and what little they've spent it gives other teams hope and inspiration.I do think they will struggle big time next season though.

They made losses of 26 million last season. Can only see that going up this year ( obviously bar the rewards for promotion)Only two teams made more of a loss.

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

4 hours ago, City Rocker said:

How about:

Great song but it is too fast.

All the great, well known, football songs have one thing in common: tempo.

Blue Moon, You'll Never Walk Alone, Wise Men Say, I'm Forever Blowin Bubbles, Sheff Utd's Greasy Chip Butty/Annie song, even crappy ones like Marching All Together, they are all slow. Witness how Tottenham have slowed down "Oh when the Spurs" too.

Slow, and without any reference to dogs, or rival manager's mother, or rivals fullstop.

"Drink Up" is too quick, and includes "doing the bastards over" which means 80% of AG don't join in, 99% of the time. And singing that quick is not easy, not for much more than the first few words, and does not produce enough sound, or noise, and therefore "atmosphere."

All we need is a standard, or any fairly popular (although popularity is not essential) song of the correct tempo, slow enough to put feeling and volume into the parts where the vowel sounds are elongated, stretched out (blooo moooon, neeeeeveah walk aaaaahloooooan, preeeeetty bubbles, etc, and the way we sing "Cmon you reds"). It's that simple.

All that stands between us and a better atmosphere is a slow song everyone can and will join in with, that we sing when we are ahead, when we are seeing out a win, when we have won. Singing like this binds us together, and is pleasurable, enjoyable. Plus, it can help the team. "Drink Up" is unique but does not tick the two critical boxes for atmosphere: tempo and inclusivity.

The "Red Army" v Wolves was good, very good in that precise moment, but a slow song sung with feeling is hard to beat. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Blue Moon, You'll Never Walk Alone, Wise Men Say, I'm Forever Blowin Bubbles, Sheff Utd's Greasy Chip Butty/Annie song, even crappy ones like Marching All Together, they are all slow. Witness how Tottenham have slowed down "Oh when the Spurs" too.

Slow, and without any reference to dogs, or rival manager's mother, or rivals fullstop.

"Drink Up" is too quick, and includes "doing the bastards over" which means 80% of AG don't join in, 99% of the time. And singing that quick is not easy, not for much more than the first few words, and does not produce enough sound, or noise, and therefore "atmosphere."

All we need is a standard, or any fairly popular (although popularity is not essential) song of the correct tempo, slow enough to put feeling and volume into the parts where the vowel sounds are elongated, stretched out (blooo moooon, neeeeeveah walk aaaaahloooooan, preeeeetty bubbles, etc, and the way we sing "Cmon you reds"). It's that simple.

All that stands between us and a better atmosphere is a slow song everyone can and will join in with, that we sing when we are ahead, when we are seeing out a win, when we have won. Singing like this binds us together, and is pleasurable, enjoyable. Plus, it can help the team. "Drink Up" is unique but does not tick the two critical boxes for atmosphere: tempo and inclusivity.

The "Red Army" v Wolves was good, very good in that precise moment, but a slow song sung with feeling is hard to beat. 

Have you been researching for a dissertation :)

I'm sure I remember back in the 70's that DUTC was sung at a slower tempo.

51 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Interesting, I thought they had slowed down "One for the Bristol City", last home game… 

5 hours ago, Reigate Red said:

How about Goodnight Irene......... or shall we make an exception there :tomato: Definitely.

Definitely.

There are numerous classic old songs adopted by clubs around the country and appreciated by their rivals.

Then there is the plagiarized Goodnight Irene, a repugnant dirge with vile undertones notable only in it's sure fire ability to churn the stomachs of those unfortunate enough to hear it.

As club songs go it has no rival to being the most nauseating of the shittiest, and yet another reason Bristol Rovers are the most despised and ridiculed club the Football League has ever seen.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Definitely.

There are numerous classic old songs adopted by clubs around the country and appreciated by their rivals.

Then there is the plagiarized Goodnight Irene, a repugnant dirge with vile undertones notable only in it's sure fire ability to churn the stomachs of those unfortunate enough to hear it.

As club songs go it has no rival to being the most nauseating of the shittiest, and yet another reason Bristol Rovers are the most despised and ridiculed club the Football League has ever seen.

You`d think they`d change it to something more cheery like `Come On Eileen` for instance.

We DO have a great traditional song but am unlikely to hear it sung again before my final goodbye :- When the red red robin comes bob bob bobbin along.

I blame our younger supporters for ditching it in favour of the lamentable Drink up thee cider, which few join in with.

Good on Rovers, I say,  for keeping their traditional song of goodnight, Irene.

Archived