IGNORED

Out of contract

Cov 77

8 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Not just to free up wages.  O'Neill has had a few good games, but his fitness levels are just not good enough for the Championship.  O'Tomlin needs to go because his presence in the squad is, I think, counterproductive.  His body language at the final whistle was interesting.  I wouldn't be surprised if he had a conversation with Chris Hughton last night...

What was his body language like? I didn't go unfortunately.

7 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Fielding really ended the season well, he's quality, Lucic though I really don't know, great game against Fulham in the cup but still very raw

Yep, It keeps getting repeated on this forum how we need a better keeper than Frank but nobody can back it up with any facts of what he has done wrong. Anybody remember any clangers from him? Hes a solid championship  keeper. His kicking usually gets dragged up which is nuts because that has been improved and most keepers in this division are an equal to him on that front. We aren't going to get it all in this league, Fielding is more than good enough to be in this league. 

1 minute ago, screech said:

Yep, It keeps getting repeated on this forum how we need a better keeper than Frank but nobody can back it up with any facts of what he has done wrong. Anybody remember any clangers from him? Hes a solid championship  keeper. His kicking usually gets dragged up which is nuts because that has been improved and most keepers in this division are an equal to him on that front. We aren't going to get it all in this league, Fielding is more than good enough to be in this league. 

Huddersfield away is the only one that sticks out for me.

Only concern with FF is that I have heard that as a family they want to move back up North and so would not be surprised if he went this summer. 

Had he not got back as first choice, I think it was a nailed on certainty tbh - so it will be interesting to see what happens. 

24 minutes ago, screech said:

The GK situation has been a problem. Yes he doesn't make massive mistakes but some of the goals he lets in are a concern. There's a reason he was dropped, he was then put back in again and the keeper he replaced was sold to the worst team in the league, he was then dropped again for a loaned German, who himself was dropped for Frankie.... like I said in my original post, our players seem to hit form around this time of the year and we forget that they haven't been up to scratch the whole season. A new keeper is needed. It's as simple as that. FF is an OK goalie at this level and a perfect number 2 for us. We can definitely be improve on him, if not I feel come October/November we'll be calling for Lucic to start. 

49 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Only concern with FF is that I have heard that as a family they want to move back up North and so would not be surprised if he went this summer. 

Maybe he likes pies and rain. 

12 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I don't think any more pressure than this season.  He has to have learned from getting us out of that mess, surely, and it does seem that it's a happier club since John Pemberton left (and I suspect will be happier still if Tomlin and O'Neill go).  All managers are under pressure, but at least Johnson knows he has an owner who isn't going to panic at the first sight of trouble.

Given the mess he got us into with the losing run was actually one game worse than the mess he had got Barnsley into last season, I see no reason to be optimistic he has learned anything!  At Barnsley their losing run coincided with LJ chopping and changing things but dogmatically sticking to one up front, before he stumbled on a 4-4-2 that worked... and the same has happened this season with us.  

I do agree that reports coming out of AG do suggest it's more harmonious now Pembo has gone and Macca moved up though.

9 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Fielding really ended the season well, he's quality, Lucic though I really don't know, great game against Fulham in the cup but still very raw

Agree 

Frankies decent / steady form has been a real contribution in our results post Preston IMHO

1 hour ago, screech said:

Couldn't agree more.

There is only one way we upgrade on him and that is by spending some huge fee on a keeper, something as a club we have never historically done.

As for those who are advocating we start next season with Lucic in goal, get real, one decent performance in a long forgotten League Cup tie is simply not the basis on which you choose a first choice starter at this level of football and fortunately there is no way we will now do so.

4th choice goalie at Bayern, can't get a game on loan in Denmark, 1 league start in his entire life, he has no more chance of being in goal for us come August than Max O'Leary does.

1 hour ago, screech said:

Shot saving excellent.

Distribution poor.

Commanding area awful.

Stick a ball on top of him at a corner like Freeman did for QPR and you're either guaranteed a goal or you give away a foul. Very poor at any crosses.

3 minutes ago, Selred said:

Shot saving excellent.

Distribution poor.

Commanding area awful.

Stick a ball on top of him at a corner like Freeman did for QPR and you're either guaranteed a goal or you give away a foul. Very poor at any crosses.

The only recent example you can give me is the foul on him from a corner against QPR which the goal was not given because of the foul is a weakness?

31 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Given the mess he got us into with the losing run was actually one game worse than the mess he had got Barnsley into last season, I see no reason to be optimistic he has learned anything!  At Barnsley their losing run coincided with LJ chopping and changing things but dogmatically sticking to one up front, before he stumbled on a 4-4-2 that worked... and the same has happened this season with us.  

I do agree that reports coming out of AG do suggest it's more harmonious now Pembo has gone and Macca moved up though.

Now the season is almost over and it's clear that Lee will be our manager next season, it would be interesting to have a cold and dispassionate discussion about what actually went wrong this season.  We were doing well into October, though the narrow away defeats to Cardiff and QPR were disappointing, but the turning point seems to be the defeat at home to Brighton, which was followed by an extraordinary run of eight league defeats by a single goal.  I don't remember us being outplayed once during that run (except by Brighton) and the notion that Johnson was chopping and changing doesn't really hold true if you check the team sheets.  So what was the problem?  Did Johnson really 'get us into a mess'?  Can you blame eight consecutive defeats by a single goal on the manager or was it simply bad luck at the start, and then the players losing their belief in winning?  I think probably the latter, because nearly all commentators seem to agree that we were always too good to be in the position we were in.  If I have a major criticism of the manager and staff, it is that they appeared unable to lift the players psychologically when their heads were dropping and when they didn't seem to know where the next win was coming from.

A strange season indeed.

41 minutes ago, Spoons said:

But none in the chamionship will be under pressure like LJ to make a good start.

I don`t know about that mate. I reckon Steve Bruce and whoever`s the manager at Sunderland will be under considerably more pressure to make a good start than LJ.

Probably a few more as well, Garry Monk for instance.

30 minutes ago, Selred said:

Shot saving excellent.

Distribution poor.

Commanding area awful.

poor at any crosses.

That's a reasonable  assessment imv.

As others have said FF is a capable SBC goalkeeper but he doesn't fill me with great confidence for some reason. Although he's not prone to clangers I feel as if one is just about to happen. 

To me that's an important factor when assessing a 'keeper.

Good job I don't pick the team........:facepalm:

7 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I don't think he's in LJs plans either but you can't force a player under contract out can you. Maybe one of the relegated clubs would be prepared to bite. He might go for that.

He seemed to really enjoy his time at Boro - could see that happening again

13 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

Don't forget we have the loan players coming back. Paul Garita from Plymouth and of course Shawn McCoulsky 

If Garita is anywhere near the first team come august we really will have had a shocking transfer window.

20 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

If travelling`s a factor too - doesn`t he go home to Leicester after every game - that could work, straight up the A1, probably only about an hour to Boro.

There we go, that's settled then.

I'll accept only a very minor fee, say 1% any transfer fee

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

If Tomlin does move on, can we agree now that every matchday thread that makes reference to him (as we had in the season  after JET went) comes with a banning order, a wedgie and a Chinese burn?

No No its a smack and bed!!

15 hours ago, Spoons said:

I'm not sure. Just feel he will be under massive pressure from the start of the season and I'm not sure that's a good idea.

I really don't think that LJ is under any more pressure than he has already been this season.

Whatever people have said about SL, his decision not to sack LJ has been vindicated.

COYR.

2 hours ago, screech said:

The only recent example you can give me is the foul on him from a corner against QPR which the goal was not given because of the foul is a weakness?

It wasn't a foul. Fielding ran into Smith.

Im giving you the most recent example yes, but you cannot say he has any authority at crosses. It's his biggest weakness due to his height and build. 

Unfortunately there is nothing he can do about it. 

4 hours ago, screech said:

He lacks authority in his areal , his kicking is a bit wayward and he always has a mistake in him . He is like 90% of keepers in the Championship .

He adds character and determination to the squad and that makes up for his deficits.

Look how he forced his way back into the team and kept his place ,even after injury. He never complained in public when he was dropped .

I'd keep him.

2 hours ago, Tangle Foot said:

I really don't think that LJ is under any more pressure than he has already been this season.

Whatever people have said about SL, his decision not to sack LJ has been vindicated.

COYR.

His decision not to sack LJ has been vindicted, because we avoided relegation, agreed, 100%.

His decision to replace Cotterill with LJ, not vindicated, not yet. Still a bit to do there, for vindication on that one.

LJ was not hired simply to avoid a return to L1 every year. It is my understanding that SL has higher hopes from his coach and his team than that

Archived