IGNORED

Diving

Games in the top two leagues at least will end up like rugby is already; with breaks of up to several minutes for TV review from a dozen different angles. It may help to give correct decisions but is not, imo, a step forward.

I suggest that where cameras are in place, which at present is at all Prem and EFL games, any doubtful decisions should be retrospectively assessed by a panel who will have the authority to deduct points from the offending club. In this way, managers will have to stop the practise of diving and deliberate cheating once and for all. At present they must be actively condoning and encouraging players to cheat like Rashford did. 

24 minutes ago, gloucester robin said:

Retrospective action would be a good starting point although it wont help Swansea now

Would be helpful if clubs, or even managers, were also punished for it. That extra incentive to kick it out. 

Maybe a couple of dives and the manager sits in the stands for a game. 

There's no doubt that clubs are happy for their players to dive. 

Just now, cidered abroad said:

Games in the top two leagues at least will end up like rugby is already; with breaks of up to several minutes for TV review from a dozen different angles. It may help to give correct decisions but is not, imo, a step forward.

I suggest that where cameras are in place, which at present is at all Prem and EFL games, any doubtful decisions should be retrospectively assessed by a panel who will have the authority to deduct points from the offending club. In this way, managers will have to stop the practise of diving and deliberate cheating once and for all. At present they must be actively condoning and encouraging players to cheat like Rashford did. 

And how much do you think it breaks up the game when players feign injury and huddle around the referee after every decision. 

Eradicate that and we have loads of time for the reviews. 

Just now, cidered abroad said:

I like this idea - it does worry me that every tackle in the box will be appealed for one reason or another by some managers - I`m looking at you Mr Warnock - and it will end up so stop/start it will ruin the game. The retrospective punishment has to be harsh enough to deter it though and not just a slap on the wrist. Either a points deduction or a ban for the player.

From someone who works in the media industry I can see the benefits of analysing every angle for each decision but it'd cost a bomb for every club. They'd have to pay for a transmission truck, on site employees, numerous camera feeds etc. It'd have huge financial implications across the board for every club. 

If the FA actually grew a pair and decided to punish post match decisions then it might eliminate the diving, simulation whatever you call it. 

Bottom line is our FA needs to realise it's bigger than certain players.

Diving has far more of an impact on football than drugs ever could. 

It's just fashionable to be intolerant of drugs in football and generally. 

Cheating is fine as long as it isn't drugs. That's the clear line from the football authorities. Charlatans. 

I've said this a number of times in the past......If the ref believes that a player dives then they should have the power to "sin bin" them for 5 minutes.....that way they pile pressure on their own team who are down to 10!

What grates me is the fact that. if a visiting team to AG scores in the first half they immediately start wasting time even though there (at least) another 45 mins.

Video is ok, as long as it doesn't impact on the flow of the game...if the fourth official is efficient it can be done quite quickly (the TV pundits do it in seconds)

We shall wait with baited breath...

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Retrospective 4 match bans and £50k fines will sort the likes of Rashford and Sane out. Out of pocket, no win bonus for a month. Money talks.

It would indeed! I suspect even the fans would start to get on a player`s back if they constantly risked it then.

Seems that refs are aware of potentially dangerous foulers (eg. El Bad) before a game and are just waiting for them to do it, then why not known divers - eg. Robbie Savage was a classic, cynical diver. When they are "caught", as when a ref catches someone for what he considers a dangerous tackle (they seem to be okay with giving red cards without video replay back-up) then cards (and suspensions) should follow for what they consider to be a dive. But have the FA got the guts to empower refs in this way, especially in the Premiership - when wealthy young primadonnas with a lot of mouth are involved?

Thing that frustrates me, FA look at red cards and rescind them. But result stays the same, so they are admiting an error was made. Last game of season player sent off we lose 1 0 playing 75 mins with 10 men and Fa after say wasn't a red, what help is that if we were relegated.

Same as banning someone for diving they've got the result and it stands. No good after the game for they've got the points. 

What the answer is I don't know but if Swansea go down by 1 or 2 points Rashford has cheated them out the league  same with Sane for Mboro.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Did you notice time it took for Rooney to take the penalty, after the foul/dive happened?

It wouldn't take much longer for a 'Video Ref' to review the incident, just to make sure the decision to award the penalty is correct.

As I think others have said, the problem with retrospective action is the end result cannot be altered if the wrong decision effects the result of the match.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Video reviews is the answer.

I agree, I also think a dive should be an automatic yellow card. With a foul you can say "it wasn't deliberate" but with a dive, well there is none of that crap, if there is no contact it's a dive, if there is no contact then the player has no excuse to go down.

Way I see it, video refs, dive = automatic yellow. Any player sent off for simulation should miss a match too.

And not too far removed from this subject is the simulation regarding fouls outside of the box, it makes me laugh to see players shaking hands before the game and whilst wearing "fair play " armbands (joke) five minutes into a game trying to get players sent off by rolling around on the ground feigning injury.

3 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Thing that frustrates me, FA look at red cards and rescind them. But result stays the same, so they are admiting an error was made. Last game of season player sent off we lose 1 0 playing 75 mins with 10 men and Fa after say wasn't a red, what help is that if we were relegated.

Same as banning someone for diving they've got the result and it stands. No good after the game for they've got the points. 

What the answer is I don't know but if Swansea go down by 1 or 2 points Rashford has cheated them out the league  same with Sane for Mboro.

If Swansea go down by 1 or 2 points, Llorente should have a long, hard think about his composure in a 1 v 1.

I've got no doubt that as technology improves, video assistance to the ref will take place - dare I say it, linesmen will disappear.

There will always be a ref though because there has to be someone that the players can have a whinge at and break things up - mind you, if there was a tooled up Robo-ref, maybe there would be less arguments and bit less cheating.

1 minute ago, bcfcfinker said:

I've got no doubt that as technology improves, video assistance to the ref will take place - dare I say it, linesmen will disappear.

There will always be a ref though because there has to be someone that the players can have a whinge at and break things up - mind you, if there was a tooled up Robo-ref, maybe there would be less arguments and bit less cheating.

There was but Collina`s retired now.

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

There was but Collina`s retired now.

I was thinking along the lines of:

I would hope that the programming is a little bit better though because there could be some rather expensive mistakes.

Just now, bcfcfinker said:

I was thinking along the lines of:

I would hope that the programming is a little bit better though because there could be some rather expensive mistakes.

Be terrific entertainment though, better than the Hunger Games. Could have Craig Charles & Jonathan Pearce on the PA too.

5 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Retrospective 4 match bans and £50k fines will sort the likes of Rashford and Sane out. Out of pocket, no win bonus for a month. Money talks.

I'm not sure there are many fines that could leave yer modern day footballer out of pocket, but yeah

Just as reformed drugs cheats go into schools to tell children of the awful effect drugs have in sport, maybe divers can be required to do similar and talk about the evils of cheating before being allowed to return to their respective teams. 

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'm not sure there are many fines that could leave yer modern day footballer out of pocket, but yeah

I agree on the fine although the likes of Rashford and Sane won't be earning mega bucks I wouldn't have thought (by Premier League standards obviously) but missing win and goal bonuses for 3-4 weeks (could be longer if they can't get back into the squad after the ban) will hit these lads hard enough to make them think twice about doing a Swan Lake rendition in the future......and the fact they would be missing from the team could cost their clubs more points than gained from the dodgy penner they "won". Got to try something. Perhaps fine the Managers too?

Archived