IGNORED

Matty Taylor - workrate - Brighton game.

brady bunch

sad I know, but last night I rewatched the full game against Brighton (for a second time) and as the result was known, I spent alot of time watching the movement of players "off the ball". Matty Taylor was by no means alone, but the work rate and tracking back that he did for the team was fantastic.  (popping up at some stages to support Little at right back).

Even though he tracked back, he was always able to get forward quickly when we attacked, add in his cross for the goal and pressing their defenders that forced them to go long (which was mostly cut out by Flint and Wright), it was a top performance for me.

I know Patterson, Brownhill et al can take a lot of credit for the turn around in form, but watching the game again and looking at the movment of the city players, in particular Matty Taylor impressed me and I "got" what others have been saying on here amount a front mans contribtion sometimes being more than goals (I think his goals will come to mind!).

I think Tammy could play well with any partner as he is a class act, but our improvement in points has to be down to the workrate of Taylor and the other guys who have come in recently.

Said it a few times since he has got in the team, I will take his work rate over tomlins ability because it means more for the team, it means we get results! The lad has worked his socks off since being brought in from the odd lot

I really like the way he seems to get his body in between defender and ball, especially on a bouncing ball.  He's clever in his movement.  I'm not sure he's a great footballing footballer (if that makes sense), but likely to get you special goals.

In rock/pop terms Matty is our Ringo Starr.

Unless you play the drums or are in a band, you might think he was the weak link in the band. However, he's actually a great drummer with solid timing and made interesting contributions both to the music and out of the studio. He was well liked by the other members who appreciated his input. So much so, the other 3 participated on his solo albums. Others might disagree saying there were far better drummers than him that could have made the Beatles even better. However, they didn't. Ringo was in every respect a fully fledged fab four.

Matty Ringo Taylor.....it has a ring to it. 

Just now, Norn Iron said:

Unless you play the drums or are in a band, you might think he was the weak link in the band. However, he's actually a great drummer with solid timing and made interesting contributions both to the music and out of the studio. He was well liked by the other members who appreciated his input. So much so, the other 3 participated on his solo albums. Others might disagree saying there were far better drummers than him that could have made the Beatles even better. However, they didn't. Ringo was in every respect a fully fledged fab four.

We'll have to find a Ringo song for him. 

9 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Great analogy.:clap:

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

We'll have to find a Ringo song for him. 

Maybe every time he gets an assist.....after chanting the goalscorer, we could sing...

Oooh, we get goal with a little help from Taylor

Oooh, we get a goal with a little help from Taylor.

Ooh, we get a goal with a little help, a goal with a little help, a goal with a little help from Matt Tayyyyyyyylorrrrr!

An Agard type player, will always work hard but footballing ability is not championship standard and for this reason will never be more than a squad player at this level with runs in the team. I don't expect him to go on and become an important player for us, never an attitude problem, just don't think he's good enough. 

17 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

An Agard type player, will always work hard but footballing ability is not championship standard and for this reason will never be more than a squad player at this level with runs in the team. I don't expect him to go on and become an important player for us, never an attitude problem, just don't think he's good enough. 

I think he's much better than Agard. 

It's frustrating when you see players with much more ability who don't put in the hard yards needed to make the most of their gifts.

In the modern game especially you just can't carry players like that and I often wonder what goes on in their heads.

It brings to mind GJ's line about those who like being footballers but don't like playing football.

58 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Love this…

On 23/04/2017 at 00:36, BobBobSuperBob said:

Prob not who you're thinking about but he reminds me a bit of Liam Robinson 

Looks more of an attacking midfielder than an out and out striker at mo

2 minutes ago, kivsy said:

For you older ones like me, whilst Taylor works hard and can't score.  Anyone one remember Liam Robinson ? 

Great minds n all that ;)

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

Now that Tammy is going back

We need to find a Ginger Baker

He has been very important in this little run, shows we need an on the shoulder type player. Sadly he lacks the pace to really play that role, his first touch has been shocking at times and he has missed some golden chances. That said his assist rate must be good , and as mentioned his work rate unquestionable . I wonder if he's snatching at things a little , maybe over keen to prove himself? Hope so.
It's going to be interesting over the summer to see what sort of player we're linked with. Asombalonga springs to mind, fingers crossed for Forest to drop down . 

58 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

So...can you qualify what "not Championship standard" means to you?    :dunno:

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

Although John Lennon famously said that 'Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles' (!) but to me he was an awesome drummer and I get what you mean entirely....as a bass player, I know the contribution of the rhythm section is so often overlooked, but take it out of a song and you're left with a load of soul-less, fluffy noise.....to quote someone who certainly knew how to wear leather trousers (Suzi Quatro!) - "The bass is the engine, the rest is just an empty chassis..."

Archived