IGNORED

Taking kids to a game

yardy

Ever since i became a father i have wanted to take my lad to a City game and have been waiting patiently until he is old enough to know what is going on, he is nearly 5 and Sunday will be his first game!

Interested to know if there is anything before the game like a fanzone/kidszone or any other entertainment that might be fun? Also do City give out caps for a kids first game, and if so who do i contact about that?

I have a worry or two about our seats, we are in the upper tier west stand and i haven't been there before so not sure if it will be too high for my lad. Also hearing that Brum fans will be occupying some of the west stand upper? Not sure that will be ideal considering they have a lot riding on this game!

I could be tempted in swapping seats to a lower part of the ground if anyone wanted to try west stand upper? I have 2 adults tickets and 2 children tickets :)

Sorry for all the questions i just want to try my best to make it a memorable day for my son and hopefully he will love our club as much as i do.

Any helpful advice/hints would be appreciated.

I've got a 6 year old and 3 year old. My 6 year old has a season ticket and loves it, my 3 year old went to his first game against Barnsley (3-2!) . He hated first half loved second half.

The club deserves a lot of credit now in making Ashton gate a family friendly day out.

Having said that mate , not sure this is the best game for you to take your little one to for first game? It's got the making of a disaster and crowd trouble in/ out the stadium. I'm not taking the risk and leaving kids at home. 

If we even look like relegating brum slightly it will be a nightmare. 

If u have any concerns. I would phone the club . Tell them you're concerns and see if they can help u or try put you're mind at rest . As spoons said the club have done well. Personally I think u will be fine. But that's just my opinion. I take my boy in the Atyeo never had no bother . He loves it . Hope he enjoys himself 

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I've got a 6 year old and 3 year old. My 6 year old has a season ticket and loves it, my 3 year old went to his first game against Barnsley (3-2!) . He hated first half loved second half.

The club deserves a lot of credit now in making Ashton gate a family friendly day out.

Having said that mate , not sure this is the best game for you to take your little one to for first game? It's got the making of a disaster and crowd trouble in/ out the stadium. I'm not taking the risk and leaving kids at home. 

If we even look like relegating brum slightly it will be a nightmare. 

Hmm yea i am worried about crowd trouble, could be some very unhappy brummies at full time.

Not sure i want to be the one to tell my lad he can't go, i've been hyping it up for 2 weeks :laugh:.

Do you know that feeling when something seemed like a good idea at the time, and then you start to have doubts? :laugh:. I'll be going with my wife, my 11 yo son and 8 yo daughter; it'll be her first match too. We're also in Upper Lansdown, W8. My wife is starting to have kittens about the thought of it, so I'm now typing this opposite her and stopped reading the thread to her too!

I take my 2 year old (he turned 3 last week) to most games. He's had a season ticket since the day he was born. 

Don't expect them to understand what the hell is going on, but he loves the atmosphere, event and is always walking around singing City songs. So cute! 

8 minutes ago, yardy said:

Hmm yea i am worried about crowd trouble, could be some very unhappy brummies at full time.

Not sure i want to be the one to tell my lad he can't go, i've been hyping it up for 2 weeks :laugh:.

As Red Army 75 says, contact the club mate. Explain your situation, and ask what measures are in place to ensure you and your kids' safety. See what response you get.

In my experience, 5 is a bit young, but not all kids are the same. You might need to be ready to leave early/not see all the game. And to give your 5 year old a "carry" up all those steps.

Taking my 4 year old to his first "proper" game on Sunday too. He's been to two Maidenhead Utd home games, as that's just down the road from me. Usually is ok in the first half but bored by the second, although the experience will clearly be very different!

My advice - sweets, chocolate, drinks and a mobile phone loaded with games! 

My six year old daughter understands the game a bit more and can survive more before boredom, but sadly she's at her final gym practise before her first competition this weekend!

Hope you enjoy the game and get away unscathed!

8 minutes ago, JustinCider said:

Do you know that feeling when something seemed like a good idea at the time, and then you start to have doubts? :laugh:. I'll be going with my wife, my 11 yo son and 8 yo daughter; it'll be her first match too. We're also in Upper Lansdown, W8. My wife is starting to have kittens about the thought of it, so I'm now typing this opposite her and stopped reading the thread to her too!

Ahaha that's exactly how i'm feeling.

I'm taking my wife too and she has never seen us win a game (i wouldn't be taking her if we needed the points) she can do all the sweet and toilet runs.

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I take my 2 year old (he turned 3 last week) to most games. He's had a season ticket since the day he was born. 

Don't expect them to understand what the hell is going on, but he loves the atmosphere, event and is always walking around singing City songs. So cute! 

Nice, my lad knows a few City songs but i have been keeping some away from him for obvious reasons, i am sure he will hear a few different ones Sunday :)

16 minutes ago, JustinCider said:

Laugh sounds exactly my set-up Justin...taking the wife and my 12 yr old daughter and we are in W6. Wife hasn't been to the remodelled Gate but daughter has been to several games with me. Daughter has mixed experiences from being completely put off by the anger and personal shouting you get at an edgy game (not just from me :shutup:) to the joy and amazing atmosphere we experienced at Brighton away and QPR at home recently. I have to say the family section is a huge benefit and apart from the odd idiot generally its quite civil for the younger ones.

I am hoping the club spend extra on policing the upper level - a high visible presence in and around the stand should quell any fears of it kicking off.

I took my niece to her first game when she was 3 1/2 (1-4 spanking by Watford in August 1998): ultimately she was in floods of tears when I carried her out at full time. Probably due more to the fact that I wouldn't let her go play with the mascot, rather than the result. I coldly explained in my best uncaring uncle voice that there is no place in the modern game for such things

She still goes now, but out of spite (and facebook cruelly reminded me of this fact the other day with one of those "X years ago you were doing this..." things) she sent me a pic last year of her with whatever mascot we had last season. City-Knob or some other wacky name.

58 minutes ago, JustinCider said:

Do you know that feeling when something seemed like a good idea at the time, and then you start to have doubts? 

Taking Joe on (Hyper)Space Mountain ride.  Dead excited then really worried.  I held his head in a headlock all the way around to stop the whiplash.  Bad parent! :P

Took mine for his 1st game aged 7. Barnsley under a certain LJ. We drew 2-2. Scrumpy the Robin will be wandering around and the kids always love him. 

Speak to @AdamB about caps. They do get one for their 1st game but I forgot to mention it so my lad missed out... grrr. Bad mummy!

He lasted 75 minutes and we only left then as he was busting for the loo. By the time a loo was free, and we'd climbed back along the Upper Williams to our seats, it would have been FT so we left straight away. 

He absolutely loves it. He heard a few swears but knows not to repeat it. He walks around singing City songs (normally in Tesco) and gives all his Prem loving mates at school grief for "not supporting their local team".

He's been well brainwashed with Bristol City. But ho hum...

I started taking my kids (now aged 11 and 8) to games when they were 3. They didn't really know what was going on but always enjoyed the atmosphere. They sometimes got bored or moaned in the second half (or kept needing the toilet during the game, which led to me missing the odd goal) at which point like any responsible parent I pacified them with chocolates/sweets

They have both had season tickets for the last four seasons now and have a much better understanding of the game. I think it does them a lot of good to see live sport. 

I got some foam ear plugs for my son (4 yr old) from a motorbike shop which helped as he wasnt used to the noise. definately bring a load of sweets. at half time I took him for a walk around the other side of the ground and see the other parts of it just to break up the day for him. with regards to the first cap etc, I emailed the club and they were very accomodating. My son didnt want to meet the mascot, as he was petrified of him so instead I did the honoury high five!

9 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Took mine for his 1st game aged 7. Barnsley under a certain LJ. We drew 2-2. Scrumpy the Robin will be wandering around and the kids always love him. 

Speak to @AdamB about caps. They do get one for their 1st game but I forgot to mention it so my lad missed out... grrr. Bad mummy!

He lasted 75 minutes and we only left then as he was busting for the loo. By the time a loo was free, and we'd climbed back along the Upper Williams to our seats, it would have been FT so we left straight away. 

He absolutely loves it. He heard a few swears but knows not to repeat it. He walks around singing City songs (normally in Tesco) and gives all his Prem loving mates at school grief for "not supporting their local team".

He's been well brainwashed with Bristol City. But ho hum...

1 minute ago, Natchlander said:

I got some foam ear plugs for my son (4 yr old) from a motorbike shop which helped as he wasnt used to the noise. definately bring a load of sweets. at half time I took him for a walk around the other side of the ground and see the other parts of it just to break up the day for him. with regards to the first cap etc, I emailed the club and they were very accomodating. My son didnt want to meet the mascot, as he was petrified of him so instead I did the honoury high five!

Ahh thanks, would be good to have something official to remember his first game.

@Natchlander do you remember what email you used to contact the club? and ear phones is a good idea, the noise would freak him out.

11 minutes ago, Natchlander said:

kids didn't like fluffy Disney characters , but loved their films :dunno: 

I, personally. believe that 3 and 4 years of age is far too young because their attention span is too short. Also think that pouring cola, sweets etc down their throats and games on a mobile/tablet is not the way to go.

I know things were a lot different when I was a boy but my Dad took me to reserve games, which in those days could have anything from two to five thousand, before a first team game at the age of six years and nine months. I hung on to the railings behind the Covered End goal. No drinks, hold on to your pee for a couple of hours as there was only one toilet, no pasties or chocolates, which were still rationed.

But with two years at school already behind me, my attention span was sufficient to follow the whole game and even want to play football as we walked back to the Centre via Greville Smythe park. And once the first, first team game was out of the way, it was followed by many more as long as Dad had the money and school games did not interfere.

I'm still going and hop all the very young new ones, enjoy themselves and for a long time to come. Live sport is way ahead of that on TV.

7 minutes ago, yardy said:

Ahh thanks, would be good to have something official to remember his first game.

@Natchlander do you remember what email you used to contact the club? and ear phones is a good idea, the noise would freak him out.

david.lloyd@bcfc.co.uk

not sure if it still works ... this was 2 seasons ago mind. 

52 minutes ago, Offside said:

They sometimes got bored or moaned in the second half (or kept needing the toilet during the game, which led to me missing the odd goal) at which point like any responsible parent I pacified them with chocolates/sweets

Reminds me of Coventry away in 14/15.  Joe needed a wee right on halftime.  Waited by the exit as 1st half injury time was played out.  Ball in Fielding's hands, expecting the ref to blow as the ball was in the air, so i took him into the toilets.  10 seconds later, huge roar, Agard had put us 2-0 up

If you ever watch the fan-cam from that game we are dead centre front row (me in my "ark at ee" t-shirt), and it's a case of now you see us now you don't!

It's a natural thing to worry about the safety and well being of your children, but your taking him to a football match in a controlled environment, you really don't have to worry at all, at the age of 5/6 most kid are still really light, if things go west and trouble breaks out just pick him/her up and walk away, I started watching Barnsley as a 6 year old, I had to sit on a barrier in a packed terrace with my back on my grandads chest and his arms wrapped around me and I survived, so I wouldn't have thought you'd have any problems what so ever in today's football stadiums with a seat each, and what seems like a steward/copper each. 

I introduced my boy to the pleasure and miseries of the GATE from the age of four. He was a regular from the age of 5 and a season ticket holder when he got to about 9 to the present day. Going to football has helped him see all sides of life,  more comfortable around people and crowds. Yes he might hear some colourful language but that's life. He is staunch CITY FAN and kicks the cat harder than me now when we lose ( l blame shorty). 

So yes take him, be proud to take him to the GATE ( be thankful it not that ramshackle of a shit hole up the road ). Don't be put off by the scare mongering about Birmingham fans, take him into the city shop, and into the fans village behind the west stand. Make sure he goes to the toilet before the game, have plenty of sweets and sing your heart out.

By full time you will both be knackered, give the Wurzels a miss after the game save that for another experience . Get home, hide the cat and break open a well earned cider.

Kick the wife if she hasn't put one in the fridge 

Archived