IGNORED

Taking kids to a game

yardy

Been taking my kids since they were 3. Eldest now 11 and city through and through.

The pre match entertainment is called Ashton Park, the in game entertainment is either my phone or singing  (we sit in terms Atyeo) half time is covered by the dentists ransom in sweets and drink  I but from the newsagent  (far cheaper!). 

When they were young my wife would drop us down at 2.40 and we'd go straight in. 

I've missed loads of football as they were bored etc and we had to go. That's fine.  Don't fight just roll with it. My eldest used to fall asleep in tbe eastend much to everyone's amusement! 

Finally, don't worry about the atmosphere. You're as safe as anywhere in a football ground so just view everything as 'exciting'. We reached a point where I offered my eldest 2 the chance to go in the family area with friends, but there questions were can we stand and is there singing and shouting? Hence were still in the Atyeo and off to tbe South Stand next year.

10 hours ago, yardy said:

Ever since i became a father i have wanted to take my lad to a City game and have been waiting patiently until he is old enough to know what is going on, he is nearly 5 and Sunday will be his first game!

Interested to know if there is anything before the game like a fanzone/kidszone or any other entertainment that might be fun? Also do City give out caps for a kids first game, and if so who do i contact about that?

I have a worry or two about our seats, we are in the upper tier west stand and i haven't been there before so not sure if it will be too high for my lad. Also hearing that Brum fans will be occupying some of the west stand upper? Not sure that will be ideal considering they have a lot riding on this game!

I could be tempted in swapping seats to a lower part of the ground if anyone wanted to try west stand upper? I have 2 adults tickets and 2 children tickets :)

Sorry for all the questions i just want to try my best to make it a memorable day for my son and hopefully he will love our club as much as i do.

Any helpful advice/hints would be appreciated.

Make sure he goes to the toilet before the game, take plenty of sweets and drinks. I took action figures and a colouring book as he got a bit bored!

8 hours ago, Offside said:

They didn't really know what was going on

I think it does them a lot of good to see live sport. 

Although, I can confirm your first comment doesn't necessarily improve with age!

With regard to the second comment, you're right and it's good to see the club providing the incentives for this to happen.

I take my two who are 8 and 11 and they absolutely love it. They first went when they were about 5 and although they struggled to concentrate for the whole time they were ok. I just sat there with my arm around them for the whole 90 minutes and answered their daft questions throughout the game. 

Now they're a bit older they love going as much as I do. I take their mates whenever I can and have managed to get a load of them hooked on the City now as well. 

Good luck with it all- I reckon you'll have a great time. 

10 hours ago, yardy said:

My eldest came to his first match aged almost 3 - last game of the season v Peterborough in 1994. It'll be exactly 23 years to the day on Sunday and he's still coming...as are his younger brother, and more occasionally, his sister - who to be fair went to Newcastle this season. None of them live in Bristol these days. It's been a lifetime of delight/torture. 

My recommendation is sweets...plenty of them and chewy and long lasting. The crowd will be as fascinating as the game...shouting...grown men using words you thought only children said when adults weren't listening...and we saw a huge fight in the early days which added to the entertainment as we were at a safe distance!

I wouldn't worry too much. Stay relaxed. If my lot are anything to go by nothing of the match will be remembered, it's being part of something big and noisy and grown up...and all that time you get to spend together. Hope you enjoy yourselves!

8 hours ago, Rascal said:

It's a natural thing to worry about the safety and well being of your children, but your taking him to a football match in a controlled environment, you really don't have to worry at all, at the age of 5/6 most kid are still really light, if things go west and trouble breaks out just pick him/her up and walk away, I started watching Barnsley as a 6 year old, I had to sit on a barrier in a packed terrace with my back on my grandads chest and his arms wrapped around me and I survived, so I wouldn't have thought you'd have any problems what so ever in today's football stadiums with a seat each, and what seems like a steward/copper each. 

How long ago Rascal? Were you going when you had Malcolm Graham and John McCann who we bought from Barnsley in 1959?

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

My eldest came to his first match aged almost 3 - last game of the season v Peterborough in 1994. It'll be exactly 23 years to the day on Sunday and he's still coming...as are his younger brother, and more occasionally, his sister - who to be fair went to Newcastle this season. None of them live in Bristol these days. It's been a lifetime of delight/torture. 

My recommendation is sweets...plenty of them and chewy and long lasting. The crowd will be as fascinating as the game...shouting...grown men using words you thought only children said when adults weren't listening...and we saw a huge fight in the early days which added to the entertainment as we were at a safe distance!

I wouldn't worry too much. Stay relaxed. If my lot are anything to go by nothing of the match will be remembered, it's being part of something big and noisy and grown up...and all that time you get to spend together. Hope you enjoy yourselves!

Exactly how I found out at 12 years that adults knew the "F" word. Until then I thought it was a children's word, unknown to adults. My god, were us kids innocent in those days.

We were playing Forest, first home game of the season and their keeper cleared the ball upfield. While it was in the air, Lishman of Forest shouted to the 5ft 5inch left winger, George Meek, to "hold it". The winger jumped and it skidded off the top of his head to a City player. Lishman screamed at him "I said hold the f*****g thing" and was promptly told to wash his mouth out by dozens of City fans.

I looked at my father and he just smiled at me and got on with watching the game. I suddenly realised how all the kids knew the word. From adults!

PS. Forest beat us 1-5. How I still hate them.  

34 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Exactly how I found out at 12 years that adults knew the "F" word. Until then I thought it was a children's word, unknown to adults. My god, were us kids innocent in those days.

Haha - my daughter went to her first match - against Burnley - when she was about 5. Grabbed my arm mid way through the first half and whispered "Dad, Dad...that man...he said ****!" Again, she thought it was something only children said in public situations...we still laugh about it!

• Admin
12 hours ago, yardy said:

Hmm yea i am worried about crowd trouble, could be some very unhappy brummies at full time.

Not sure i want to be the one to tell my lad he can't go, i've been hyping it up for 2 weeks :laugh:.

Wouldn't worry, if they have any gripes it wont be against our club or supporters

You could just be a likely to have a couple from Colchester on a Tuesday night play up

My advice would be to take lots of snacks. It always keep them occupied for 10 - 15 mins if they get bored.

As for being too close the Brum fans, I wouldn't worry you're more likely to get naused off by people walking past every couple of mins to have a piss.

3 hours ago, WSMRobin said:

Inside the ground will be fine. It's getting the train back to wsm with my 9 year old son and a load of brummies after the game which is causing me  some concern. 

Hmm haven't thought of that, we'll be on this train! More to worry about :laugh:

15 hours ago, yardy said:

Ever since i became a father i have wanted to take my lad to a City game and have been waiting patiently until he is old enough to know what is going on, he is nearly 5 and Sunday will be his first game!

Interested to know if there is anything before the game like a fanzone/kidszone or any other entertainment that might be fun? Also do City give out caps for a kids first game, and if so who do i contact about that?

I have a worry or two about our seats, we are in the upper tier west stand and i haven't been there before so not sure if it will be too high for my lad. Also hearing that Brum fans will be occupying some of the west stand upper? Not sure that will be ideal considering they have a lot riding on this game!

I could be tempted in swapping seats to a lower part of the ground if anyone wanted to try west stand upper? I have 2 adults tickets and 2 children tickets :)

Sorry for all the questions i just want to try my best to make it a memorable day for my son and hopefully he will love our club as much as i do.

Yards as long as your son is a member you can apply for a First Cap. I took two children to their first game for the Rotherham game and they got their cap. Contact supporters services they were great when I did it.

1 minute ago, Busterrimes said:

Yards as long as your son is a member you can apply for a First Cap. I took two children to their first game for the Rotherham game and they got their cap. Contact supporters services they were great when I did it.

Yea he is a member thanks for that, i'll contact them this afternoon

15 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I take my 2 year old (he turned 3 last week) to most games. He's had a season ticket since the day he was born

Don't expect them to understand what the hell is going on, but he loves the atmosphere, event and is always walking around singing City songs. So cute! 

Why would you take a baby to a football match?  Each to their own and no disrespect to you but having been through the baby years twice I can't imagine anything worse!

17 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Why would you take a baby to a football match?  Each to their own and no disrespect to you but having been through the baby years twice I can't imagine anything worse!

Maybe cos he's the parent and can decide what's best for his child? ;) 

Went to many a game as a young kid with my even younger sister (oh and parents obviously) mostly away games and behind fences in the early 80's.  It was certainly an education, the only thing in modern football I'd imagine parents nowadays were worried about was whether the bread used in the prawn sandwiches was 'Gluten Free'.

6 hours ago, Red Exile said:

Good point! I strongly suggest the OP heed this advice. 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

He only went to one game as a baby (Left at half time with his mum).

I got him the season ticket from birth, just so it's very easy for him to answer the question in later years "how long have you supported City?" 

17 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Taking my 4 year old to his first "proper" game on Sunday too. He's been to two Maidenhead Utd home games, as that's just down the road from me. Usually is ok in the first half but bored by the second, although the experience will clearly be very different!

My advice - sweets, chocolate, drinks and a mobile phone loaded with games! 

My six year old daughter understands the game a bit more and can survive more before boredom, but sadly she's at her final gym practise before her first competition this weekend!

Hope you enjoy the game and get away unscathed!

You're in the same boat as me. I bought a ticket for my 9-year-old daughter, only to find out that she is in a play that she has been rehearsing for three months and cannot attend. :grr:

Nothing wrong with taking kids, just don't take a woman. The last time I did that she asked if she should cheer both teams goals, and why the ref kept holding a "yellow ticket" up in the air.

Mind you, this is the same woman that once asked me why the US were bombing Iraq when there was an "air strike" on! :facepalm:

19 hours ago, yardy said:

I wouldn't take my grandkids to this match. Good luck

49 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

He only went to one game as a baby (Left at half time with his mum).

I got him the season ticket from birth, just so it's very easy for him to answer the question in later years "how long have you supported City?" 

Let's hope he grows up to enjoy football then, because you can never tell.

The first one of our group of City fans to have a child, back in the early 80's, couldn't wait to get his son down down the Gate.

When he was about 2 and a half he chose a sunny day and proudly brought him in to our regular position in the open bit of the EE on his shoulders.

The lad was happy as a sandboy until City scored when the eruption of noise made him burst into tears and he started screaming and pummeling his Dads head with both hands. Inconsolable, he had to be taken home.

Despite his Dad's desperation to watch City with his son - something he'd always dreamed of - he could never persuade him to go inside AG again, and to my knowledge he never has, and he must be over 30 now. His Dad is now often accompanied by his young grandchildren on his daughter's side, so still doing his bit to try and indoctrinate the next generation of City supporters into the habit!

My own experience was taking my daughter sporadically to games from about age 5 for a couple of years and she seemed to enjoy it. She was even photographed during a match for her photo to be included in the 'Bristol City First 100 Years' book, being the one girl pictured in the 'Not Just For the Lads' feature. Then one day we were just about to set off for the match and she sheepishly said she wanted to go and play with the girl up the road instead. :shocking: After that, although she was happy to go occasionally, it was clear she was someone who would be no more than 'interested' in Bristol City rather than ever become a confirmed fan.

Not being deterred by this setback I asked my then 4 year old son if he wanted to come to his first Bristol City game and his face lit up. We put him in his City scarf and hat, put a bottle and some sweets in the City hav-a sac he'd had for Christmas, took a photo in the garden of him in all his City clobber, and off we went. He loved the atmosphere from day 1, quickly became a regular - singing along with songs more than I did - a ST holder from the age of 6, and was charging down the steps in the Lower Dolman with lots of other young lads to mob City goalscorers pitchside by the age of 9.

He had a ST with me continuously for 18 years before moving away from Bristol - so I succeeded with this one :yes: - and having not gone to the Amex myself I was chuffed to spot him in the EP picture of the City fans at last weeks' game, arms aloft and in full voice behind The Reds.

Good lad, and well brought up, even if I do say so myself.    ;) :city:

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Let's hope he grows up to enjoy football then, because you can never tell.

The first one of our group of City fans to have a child, back in the early 80's, couldn't wait to get his son down down the Gate.

When he was about 2 and a half he chose a sunny day and proudly brought him in to our regular position in the open bit of the EE on his shoulders.

The lad was happy as a sandboy until City scored when the eruption of noise made him burst into tears and he started screaming and pummeling his Dads head with both hands. Inconsolable, he had to be taken home.

Despite his Dad's desperation to watch City with his son - something he'd always dreamed of - he could never persuade him to go inside AG again, and to my knowledge he never has, and he must be over 30 now. His Dad is now often accompanied by his young grandchildren on his daughter's side, so still doing his bit to try and indoctrinate the next generation of City supporters into the habit!

My own experience was taking my daughter sporadically to games from about age 5 for a couple of years and she seemed to enjoy it. She was even photographed during a match for her photo to be included in the 'Bristol City First 100 Years' book, being the one girl pictured in the 'Not Just For the Lads' feature. Then one day we were just about to set off for the match and she sheepishly said she wanted to go and play with the girl up the road instead. :shocking: After that, although she was happy to go occasionally, it was clear she was someone who would be no more than 'interested' in Bristol City rather than ever become a confirmed fan.

Not being deterred by this setback I asked my then 4 year old son if he wanted to come to his first Bristol City game and his face lit up. We put him in his City scarf and hat, put a bottle and some sweets in the City hav-a sac he'd had for Christmas, took a photo in the garden of him in all his City clobber, and off we went. He loved the atmosphere from day 1, quickly became a regular - singing along with songs more than I did - a ST holder from the age of 6, and was charging down the steps in the Lower Dolman with lots of other young lads to mob City goalscorers pitchside by the age of 9.

He had a ST with me continuously for 18 years before moving away from Bristol - so I succeeded with this one :yes: - and having not gone to the Amex myself I was chuffed to spot him in the EP picture of the City fans at last weeks' game, arms aloft and in full voice behind The Reds.

Good lad, and well brought up, even if I do say so myself.    ;) :city:

Well my son's name is "Ashton", so he was never going to get much choice in who he supports..! 

Archived