IGNORED

A Lesson in polishing and Gold plating a turd!!

RaspberryRed

1.50 in

An enjoyable season!

His BCFC win record better than his Dad! Who was here how long?

Still talking about when we get to the Prem!

Do you really buy in to learning more when you Lose than when you Win?

A tough time on and off of the field! Interesting comment

Sorry for the negativity before our last game having scraped survival and our highest gate for 30 years but really!!

:facepalm:

Is it the football cameraman that's filmed those shots behind her, vomit inducing!  This isn't Goodfellas or Jaws, no need for a 'Dolly Zoom'.

I'd hate to be forced to watch a powerpoint presentation put together by him/her.

11 minutes ago, RaspberryRed said:

1.50 in

An enjoyable season!

Sorry for the negativity before our last game having scraped survival and our highest gate for 30 years but really!!

whatever 

Having watched it thought he spoke well, lets hope he can back it up over the next season or so.

I know it was probably scripted as it is BS TV and we all know that it's easy to talk but less easy to deliver.

C'mon Lee prove me wrong! :fingerscrossed:

Just now, AppyDAZE said:

Still clinging on..    

The lovable LJ detractors  (not a new band btw)

Not a bad band name to be fair, If I was a Norwich supporter I'd definitely call my band 'Psychedelia Smith'

49 minutes ago, RaspberryRed said:

1.50 in

An enjoyable season!

He actually said a 'crazy' season, not 'enjoyable' so I think you've misquoted. I thought it was a good interview, can't wait for next season.

16 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Can't watch it because Lisa Knights' head is so far up her own backside, only a Dyno-rod employee could get it out...

Can't stand her.

been trying for the last 15 minutes butt I can't even see my arse let alone get my head up there. think I need too see the chiropractor tomorrow.

2 hours ago, RaspberryRed said:

1.50 in

An enjoyable season!

Oh for god's sake.  You are not sorry for the negativity, you are revelling in it.  Give it a rest.

Oh and yes, of course you are likely to learn more when you lose than when you win.  Surely that is obvious?

The thing that always confuses me is that people on otib talk as if City have been a mid-table championship side for 20 years. Sadly, not being relegated for two years is progress.....we've only done that for about 4 in my lifetime (1990->). Reality is, three years ago we were bottom of league one and in crazy debt, if you would have been offered our current position then, you'd have gone for it! Let's be a bit more optimistic, Lee's analysis is right, we had an awful patch in the middle, but there was two great patches either side! Let's try to move on, Lee's here, let's just give him a go, not like we personally have a choice...

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

....Lisa Knights' head is so far up her own backside, only a Dyno-rod employee could get it out...

Sounds like a script idea for a certain kind of film. A bit too niche market for me.

22 minutes ago, mattjtsmith said:

The thing that always confuses me is that people on otib talk as if City have been a mid-table championship side for 20 years. Sadly, not being relegated for two years is progress.....we've only done that for about 4 in my lifetime (1990->). Reality is, three years ago we were bottom of league one and in crazy debt, if you would have been offered our current position then, you'd have gone for it! Let's be a bit more optimistic, Lee's analysis is right, we had an awful patch in the middle, but there was two great patches either side! Let's try to move on, Lee's here, let's just give him a go, not like we personally have a choice...

The only time that relegation from tier two has not followed a promotion from tier three since WW2, was when AD took us up to Division One.

But, oh boy, we then made up for it with tree drops in a row.  

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Oh for god's sake.  You are not sorry for the negativity, you are revelling in it.  Give it a rest.

Oh and yes, of course you are likely to learn more when you lose than when you win.  Surely that is obvious?

'Revelling in it' that's Utter nonsense, in fact it's total bollox  The last thread I started was commending him on a great signing/bit of business in getting Josh Brownhill!!

Try not to label people on the basis of one post. 

Before you go scrambling for my post history then I'll say I have been firmly in the LJ out camp and I'm sceptical he can continue gaining experience in such a tough league whilst getting the results needed. That said I have renewed and will give him a fair crack of the whip next season and as SL has stated his position loud and clear so LJ will get his coveted 3rd window and we 'all' go again next season

Just like 'I revelled' in standing in the rain on an open terrace in the 4th Div I suppose

14 hours ago, mattjtsmith said:

Exactly, why have we not been a mid-table Championship side for 20 years? Good question. Why is that, then?

Why were we nearly bottom of L1 three years ago? Could it be anything to do with why we have not been a mid-table Championship for very long?

We have 2 more points than Burton Albion as things stand. This is their 7th season as a football league club. This is our 8th Championship season in the last 10. 

The Championship is not easy, but it's not impossible either.

Christ on a bike....some of you need to give the guy a break.

Whether you were Johnson In or Johnson Out, I will always respect him for the job he did at the back end of this season, under biblical pressure. Kudos to Mr Lansdown for backing his man and sticking to his guns. Would I be so happy clappy if we were going down tomorrow, probably not, but we're not.

Yes it was his selections and tactics that got us into that mess (partly), but he got out too (partly) and probably learned a great deal in the process. We will have a better, more experienced coach as a result. 

The illusions of grandure that seems to come with a minority of this clubs support is embarrassing. People need to manage their expectations.....we're Bristol City, not Chelsea.

11 minutes ago, WesM said:

Christ on a bike....some of you need to give the guy a break.

Whether you were Johnson In or Johnson Out, I will always respect him for the job he did at the back end of this season, under biblical pressure. Kudos to Mr Lansdown for backing his man and sticking to his guns. Would I be so happy clappy if we were going down tomorrow, probably not, but we're not.

Yes it was his selections and tactics that got us into that mess (partly), but he got out too (partly) and probably learned a great deal in the process. We will have a better, more experienced coach as a result. 

The illusions of grandure that seems to come with a minority of this clubs support is embarrassing. People need to manage their expectations.....we're Bristol City, not Chelsea.

Expectations are high because the potential is high. Our rookie 1st team manager (that's what he does) seemed to have a theory which involved utilising his whole squad, which proved detrimental after so much chopping and changing throughout the season, even after good performances and results. I don't think the players bought into his philosophy of change and became unhappy. This philosophy (if that's what it is) has been blown out of the water in recent games by keeping a mostly settled side. Ironically, that settled side was made up of six players inherited from the previous promotion team. So one has to question the recruitment and management of the nineteen players brought in by our rookie 1st team manager, which has only supplied four permanent players and a loanee superkid to the teams most recent successful spell.

Given the resources available, even to a rookie, I would say that this season has seen underachievement on the playing side but, overachievement on the support side, considering the results. I think this level of support proves the potential of the club and unless you set your targets high, then you end up with the inevitable lack of success. A lack of success which has seen the club fail to match the exploits of clubs without that potential. We as a club should be able to compete with the likes of Wolves, WBA, Stoke, Leicester, Brum, Fulham, Palace, Norwich, Bournemouth FFS, Burnley, Brighton, Swansea, the list goes on. We rarely achieve their success and why? Is it because  the fans expectation levels are lower? If that's the case, I'm aiming for European domination, if we all aimed and demanded a bit higher, we might just get a bit.  Look at that shower of shyte up the rugby ground, all they aim for is to see us fail, see where that's got them.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Ironically, that settled side was made up of six players inherited from the previous promotion team. So one has to question the recruitment and management of the nineteen players brought in by our rookie 1st team manager, which has only supplied four permanent players and a loanee superkid to the teams most recent successful spell.

We were told that players were being bought for the future, some of the players signed we're literally to go into the youth team. 5 of the first team is pretty much half of the team! How many did you want? Managers rarely arrive and sign a whole new team, they build on we hat is there. The only players who came in to really disappoint are the players who most would have expected to do well, the more experienced players - Tomlin, Matthews, O'Neil. The first two in particular  are players pretty much everyone wanted and expected to do well so hard to blame the recruitment team for them.

As I said, one is not our player, so only four of the recently selected players were from Lee's recruitment policy, quite a small number seeing as he's been here two transfer windows and, the fact that some of those inherited players were out of favour and not being used earlier in the season, when we were in shyte street. Yes, I would have expected more LJ players frequenting the team by now, especially those recruited in January, once he'd seen what was required to see us through this sticky spell and stave off relegation. But out of those recruited in January only Bailey Wright has been a regular, and Taylor selection recently because it was shyte or bust time. Remember, prior to Taylor, it was Wilbraham, so seven of the promotion team playing regularly to turn our season around. I fully understand that players were brought to the club as future prospects but, there's also the other players that have been brought in to play who aren't playing. Hegeler, Djuric, Manusson, O'Neil, Mathews, Geifer, Tomlin. I'm sure there's a couple more who, you'd expect to be playing more regularly that have underperformed compared to the previous managers players, who many said weren't good enough.  Golbourne?

We now have to wait and see if these players recruited by Lee were squad players, and the best is yet to come in the third window or, they just aint cutting the mustard. A settling in period and pre season should help them as well. But, I'm sure Lee would have wanted to select more of "his" players to get us out of the shyte and take the praise for good recruitment.

On Fri May 05 2017 at 19:17, RaspberryRed said:

1.50 in

An enjoyable season!

as usual talking  shit

8 hours ago, Rich said:

Hegeler, Djuric, Manusson, O'Neil, Mathews, Geifer, Tomlin. 

I think most of these are explainable, to be fair.

Matthews was obviously a major disappointment, which Johnson was visibly frustrated at from the top of the season.

Tomlin you could arguably say was the fans' purchase rather than his own choice, and has struggled to adapt to our new system, as well as not being the golden boy.

Giefer, it seems, is a part time solution to getting rid of O Donnell. I think most would agree that Fielding has steadily improved during his time here, and I'm personally glad he got his spot back.

Djuric's time will come next season, as I'm sure he was told when he signed. We have a special striker for a finite amount of time, but next season will be the time of Taylor, Djuric and An Other.

O'Neil was bought to be an old head, a bit of experience. He was good at the start, then lost it a bit, but I'm sure he's been helpful on the training ground. Though it's maybe surprising that he's not currently a first team regular, I don't consider it a failure of LJ's transfer policy that he's not there right now.

Personally I'd like to see Magnusson and Hegeler get more gametime - if Hegeler and Smith in midfield works, I'd be excited at that. Having said that, we found partnerships in midfield and defence that work, and stuck with them.

I'd like us to try and get Cotterill permanently, and would be interested in seeing how Lucic is when he comes back from Aalborg. Full back is the crucial area, plus another lethal striker, plus someone to replace the presumably outgoing Tomlin.

Archived