IGNORED

A tale of two managers - LJ bouncing & Cotts respect

Fordy62

I like Cotterill too, but I can't fake amnesia about his last season here.

We were rooted to the drop zone. At least under Johnson we were only headed towards it, we did at least get to appreciate some time higher up the table.

"If he had Johnson's money": whose to say he didn't? He made bids for two very expensive players.  And I'm afraid I don't subscribe to the myth that the board then tried to renogotiate with them when he was on holiday.  A convenient legend with zero proof. They just didn’t want to come here, once it was clear they didn't have to. Once they knew they could play with bigger clubs.

And sorry, criticising Johnson for celebrating the end of the season with the fans and a bit of music is as naff as criticising Cotterill for his 80s hair gel look (which some did during his tenure!)

Glad SC got a proper appreciation and AFAIK he should always get that when he comes here. He gave us the most wonderful season in decades and was an honest, straight-talking guy who tried his best for the club.

Would I want him back here as manager? No.

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

My apologies. 

I have a crap memory. Assumed you were one of the chaps endlessly praising Lee and getting cross with those who disagreed. 

I have been one of the biggest defenders of LJ on here, I can't pretend otherwise, but only in the sense that I've acknowledged the work he's done before and after the horrid run. When we were amidst it, my main defence of him was that I didn't want him to go as I am tired of us sacking managers annually and repeating the same old cycle (as I've already mentioned, I didn't want SC to go either) and that he'd shown what he was capable of before the bad run. If we could stick it out and get out of it and get our confidence back, hopefully lessons would have been learned. That did happen in the end (a long time coming) and hopefully next season can be brighter. I like Lee and I'm a fan of longevity in football.

I've never said LJ is an amazing manager, he's got weaknesses as he has strengths. He is very inexperienced and is very much learning, without a doubt. This was his first full season at Championship level and hopefully he will have learned a lot from the tough times and we will benefit in the long-run. No guarantees of course.

Just now, JHAGa said:

I have been one of the biggest defenders of LJ on here, I can't pretend otherwise, but only in the sense that I've acknowledged the work he's done before and after the horrid run. When we were amidst it, my main defence of him was that I didn't want him to go as I am tired of us sacking managers annually and repeating the same old cycle (as I've already mentioned, I didn't want SC to go either) and that he'd shown what he was capable of before the bad run. If we could stick it out and get out of it and get our confidence back, hopefully lessons would have been learned. That did happen in the end (a long time coming) and hopefully next season can be brighter. I like Lee and I'm a fan of longevity in football.

I've never said LJ is an amazing manager, he's got weaknesses as he has strengths. He is very inexperienced and is very much learning, without a doubt. This was his first full season at Championship level and hopefully he will have learned a lot from the tough times and we will benefit in the long-run. No guarantees of course.

Good post. 

I hope LJ has a great season next year. We all win. 

2 hours ago, JHAGa said:

Winning 6 of our last 10 and the same names still whinging is my gripe. This post has nothing to do with today's loss on the pitch. The season hasn't been a success nor has it been a disaster like a few like to make out. 17th place is pretty standard for our club and no real shock. Same names bring up the negatives and don't acknowledge the negatives week after week after week.

He spent more but also received a lot more from sales to balance that statement out. Liverpool spent loads after losing Suarez and Spurs after losing Bale - doesn't help a great deal. 0 net spend and a place higher than last season, that's standard.

I love SC and didn't want him to leave but I don't overexaggerate the negatives like a few of you.

He broke the record of consecutive defeats of a club that has been around for 123 years, for me yes that was a disaster and will blot his managerial record forever.

Just now, Emperor Palpatine said:

Championship record states otherwise... 

Far too difficult to be objective. You'd need to assess the amount spent verses the average amount spent by the opposition. 

Just for starters. 

50 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

People do have short memories , Cotts did great but by the end he had completely lost it and frankly had packed up, his interview after the Preston game was borderline paranoid , he would not have signed the players that kept us up ,not convinced he would have signed anyone , what's done is done but don't sugar coat what happened , good luck for the future Cotts.

His interview after the Reading away game was embarrassing and downright deluded... 

What level? Lower league? Correct but LJ lead Barnsley to the JPT final but then took the job with us...

Tell me what Cotterill has done at Championship level to be 'infinitely superior'?

You talk like Cotterill is some sort of BCFC enemy   Shocking

What level? Lower league? Correct but LJ lead Barnsley to the JPT final but then took the job with us...

Tell me what Cotterill has done at Championship level to be 'infinitely superior'?

Who said he was 'infinitely superior'?

I said he had a much better CV. 

Quite simply if Johnson had done a lap by himself around the ground like Cotterill he would have got a muted applause, some pelters and a lot of apathy. Which says exactly what the fan base think of him. He still has a lot to prove, crucial 7 months for him.

36 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Hey, the forum was full of people wanting LJ gone for long periods. I myself said he should probably go at times throughout the season. I was delighted to be proven wrong when we went on the run we did to end the campaign.

My problem is with the same minority of names that focus solely on negatives, give no credit for any of the good work and make posts like this which are quite simply clutching at straws and nitpicking.

At no point have I criticised people for having an opinion of wanting Lee to leave. I criticise those that focus on certain things to conveniently suit an argument or repeat the same tedious stuff on a weekly (daily for some) basis to twist everything into a negative.

Likewise the same 5-10 posters were defending him no matter what. We were atrocious for 1/2 the season the LJ tombola selections and tactics, scatter gun transfer policy, dealing with players, bi-polar form quite rightly has divided the fan base in fact post Preston the majority felt he had to go.

He splits the fan base like no other manager  I think the majority e.g. neither extreme agree the next 7 months is crucial to prove he is the real deal, hopefully he can kick on and push us on, not convinced but he has earned some slack.

1 hour ago, allyolly said:

Equally those names are strangely missing when we do well! 

Nope, you are incorrect, I've never been a supporter of LJ as our 'head coach' but I've never gone 'missing' - I haven't ever resorted to personal abuse either, I've just consistently said that we need an experienced manager at this level with a track record of success....

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

He's our boss. Like it or lump it. I was in the out camp but it's done now. 

We go again. 

This a thousand times...

Cotts got the boot when City lost form and went to shit. LJ was kept on when City lost form and went to shit.

What does LJ have that Cotts didn't? Friends in high places. LJ was given a blank cheque book and a shopping trolley. Cotts got sweet FA apart from Kodj. The board didn't support him...

This is all fact.

5 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

This a thousand times...

Cotts got the boot when City lost form and went to shit. LJ was kept on when City lost form and went to shit.

What does LJ have that Cotts didn't? Friends in high places. LJ was given a blank cheque book and a shopping trolley. Cotts got sweet FA apart from Kodj. The board didn't support him...

This is all fact.

What does he have? He conforms. He speaks indecipherable BS that gets business-types into a jizz fest. 

He doesn't challenge their needy,  rhetorical charade of a thousand words when 3 or 4 would suffice. 

I've met their type before. Unfortunately I'm surrounded by the bastards where I live. They wear red trousers, have very little talent, care little for people, generally, and like hair dye, private schooling and the Daily Mail.

Having said that, Cotts dyes his hair. 

2 hours ago, JHAGa said:

'Rationally' nitpicking at the Head Coach for jumping on a stage at an end of season event. A small moment of letting his hair down after months of pressure being used to again needlessly knock the manager by the same old individuals? How rational.

Your constant and relentless smarm over Johnson is sickly.  Puts me off coming on the forum stumbling upon reading your guff.  ps. Johnson out, please soooon

Just now, paulcityfan said:

Your constant and relentless smarm over Johnson is sickly.  Puts me off coming on the forum stumbling upon reading your guff.  

He's right though. And I'd gladly see LJ go. 

Archived