IGNORED

FGR BIG Day.........really?

slartibartfast

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Well done to FGR. Another localish club in our area in the FL

Handy if FGR can get promoted from League 2 next season and (assuming the gas avoid relegation) get to play at the Memorial Stadium the following season............:facepalm:

You mean UWE surely? The build has to begin asap or the planning runs out. Should be done by next year... :whistle:

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

I don't disagree RRH but if it benefits us as well as them, I can see it happening. If there's no benefit to ourselves then obviously not but surely it would be better to loan our youngsters to a local L2 club than one miles away?

Thought GJ and Chelts had the first refusal on our academy lads?

26 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think there is an element of FGR "buying their way" up but name a team that doesn't at that level?

Bristol Rovers Football Club. Winged it the entire time...

7 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

In the league. They did play each other in the conference the year Cheltenham went down though but it`s not quite the same.

I'm going to keep an eye out for FGR. My most local team! Might even catch a game if they've got any away Midlands teams in L2.

7 hours ago, jackofromrugby said:

I went to Wemberelee in the late 70's to watch the mighty Almondsbury Greenway v Billericay FA Vase final.  17500ish there but an unmemorable atmosphere due to masses of empty, unused stands.

Anyone else go to that?

Yes I was there at Wembley for that one, and even went to a few of their home games around that time. Most Almonds followers were from Patchway as it goes. No one from Almondsbury actually likes football. Fact. 

38 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Yes I was there at Wembley for that one, and even went to a few of their home games around that time. Most Almonds followers were from Patchway as it goes.

No one from Almondsbury actually likes football. Fact. 

Wasn't Mr Lansdown from Almondsbury ?

:blink:

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I think Hoffenheim are a good yardstick and they come from a village with half the population of Nailsworth. They will shortly, or has it already, finish in their highest ever top flight position. They steadily built their support and so will FGR in my opinion. They have the backing. I reckon they will be in the top 10 easily next season.

I bet their public transport links are better. How a club that is moving to a car access only site can call itself Green beggars belief...

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

At least if they knocked us out of the FA Cup we still would never have been knocked out by a non-league club. Not every west country club can say that.:fear:

I think we were knocked out by six non-league clubs in the early 1900s....Gas, Spurs, Northampton, Crewe, Brentford and QPR....then Gillingham in 1946/47...

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

Brilliant! Well done FGR.

Love the concept of running a club on an environmental friendly basis. Success on and off the pitch. Top work. 

That would include moving to a ground accessible only by car? Just asking, like...

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think we were knocked out by six non-league clubs in the early 1900s....Gas, Spurs, Northampton, Crewe, Brentford and QPR....then Gillingham in 1946/47...

Early 1900's we weren't a League club, so it's not surprising. Not sure about Gillingham 46-47, though...

1 minute ago, Aizoon said:

Early 1900's we weren't a League club, so it's not surprising. Not sure about Gillingham 46-47, though...

We were a league club from 1901-02 and for all of those defeats... and we were a league club in 1946-47 when southern league Gillingham beat us 1-2 in the second round...

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

We were a league club from 1901-02 and for all of those defeats... and we were a league club in 1946-47 when southern league Gillingham beat us 1-2 in the second round...

They all cheated though , offside goals , disallowed goals etc - so none of them count :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

They all cheated though , offside goals , disallowed goals etc - so none of them count :thumbsup:

OK, we`ll qualify it by saying in the last seventy years. Still not a bad record given how many times we`ve played non-league sides in that time - I bet there aren`t many clubs that haven`t lost to at least one.

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

OK, we`ll qualify it by saying in the last seventy years. Still not a bad record given how many times we`ve played non-league sides in that time - I bet there aren`t many clubs that haven`t lost to at least one.

Tbf If I'd been asked have we lost to a non league side - I would have said no !

Good knowledge @BS4 on Tour... ;)

24 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You're right about 1901 but I can"t find the Gillingham game on head-to-head. http://www.lfconline.co.uk/head-to-head/bristol-city/vs/gillingham

Are you sure it counts as "first-class"?

PS Got it now https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1946–47_FA_Cup

Archived