IGNORED

How big a club are we really?

Meh

I think City are a medium sized club probably on par with the likes of Bradford, Plymouth, Bolton, Charlton, Millwall, Watford although most of those have played top flight fairly recently. Its a strange one as Bristol has a massive population but a large majority of that population have very little or no interest in watching local league football. I think our fan base is growing though and I think that is down to the revamped stadium so there is potential to become a bigger club although "potential" has been talked about for years. I think as someone else mentioned Brighton seem to be a club that have gradually realised their potential as for that lot at the former rugby ground I would put them on par with Carlise,Peterborough etc, small clubs with not a great deal of potential.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

What does a "big club" actually mean?

To me it's having a massive stadium, impressive history, including a European history and a players of a top level.

Barca, Real Madrid, Juve, Man Citeh, Man Utd, Liverpool and even Arsenal are all "big clubs"

City are not anywhere near imv.

But how far back do you go on the history? Forest have been in simular positions as us over the last 15 years and get simular attendances, I would say they are slightly bigger because they have support all over the country which is because of their history.

I think cup wins slowly become less important over about 7 years. Look at Portsmouth, that FA cup win means nothing now as a way of attracting players.

So maybe that's how you can define club size - all other things being equal the ability to attract players?

The debate about big or small clubs is the most pointless in football. There are far too many variables to gain a consensus. Villa has won the league more times than either Chelsea, Man City or Spurs (and been runners up more too) but few pundits today would say they're bigger. Then there are crowds, stadia, cup competitions, place in world football and countless other things to factor in the equation. As far as I am concerned any. club in the league is where it deserves to be. City are a championship or Div 2 team. 

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Who knows what our FFP figure is nowadays with the huge hike in corporate £££, much bigger crowds and the extra money the supporters spend pre and post match since the redevelopment?

I would imagine our earnings have shot up a fair bit?

City have been losing money hand over fist for years. if people don't have any idea at all of how much money the club can spend its hard to be critical and say City should be buying Tom Ince etc who could not be afforded??? asking have City even got that type of money has to the first question!!

Can't for the life in me understand why so many people seem to be consumed with the abstract concept of how big we are compared to X, Y and Z. It's largely irrelevant these days, as proved almost every year when a team defies expectations and gets promoted or comes damned close. If we offer the right wages and the right opportunity then we have as good a chance as anyone of signing any given player

34 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

City have been losing money hand over fist for years. if people don't have any idea at all of how much money the club can spend its hard to be critical and say City should be buying Tom Ince etc who could not be afforded??? asking have City even got that type of money has to the first question!!

I've no idea myself, hence the question. I don't know where our finances lie within FFP or how much difference the new income streams would have made. I appreciate we are not in a position to be chasing the likes of Ince but have no idea how far away we are from being able to TBH.

We have the potential with the size of population within 25 miles or so of Bristol.

We now have a decent modern stadium with 27,000 capacity although I don't how that could be significantly increased if it was warranted.

We have had a very intermittent record of youth development; mostly non existent but when we were good at it or just very lucky with good youth teams, 1959-60 1970ish and late 1990's/early 2000, we then had some limited success with AD and promotion in 1976 as he peak.

Now we appear to have recruited some young players who are almost(?) ready to be brought into the first team squad but still not hearing too much about those who have been with us since before puberty.

We have never been able to become for other than the odd season, a top second tier team/club. Capable of consistently every season knocking on the promotion door and/or getting to quarter and semi finals of the FL and FA Cups.

We are still thought of as a minnow by supporters of clubs like Sheff U & Wed, Leeds, Boro, Watford, Forest and so many others simply because they have been up there more often in their existence than we have. They can all name a lot more of their players who have gained full international caps while with their club. We have John Atyeo and Dermot Curtis as our only full internationals while at City since the 1939-46 war ended. (Until the last season when Magnusson and O'Dowda arrived and apologies if I've missed any. Gerry Gow?).

Give us ten years in the Prem with some good cup runs like a Stoke City or similar and our stock with the rest of the country will have risen. Harry Dolman once said at a shareholders AGM that BCFC will never be a Tottenham Hotspur, and I agree with that, but we could be thought of as a damn sight bigger/better than we are now. Again I say, that at 74 years, I wonder if I'll ever see it but I'm convinced that younger fans will see it happen.

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

We have the potential with the size of population within 25 miles or so of Bristol.

We now have a decent modern stadium with 27,000 capacity although I don't how that could be significantly increased if it was warranted.

We have had a very intermittent record of youth development; mostly non existent but when we were good at it or just very lucky with good youth teams, 1959-60 1970ish and late 1990's/early 2000, we then had some limited success with AD and promotion in 1976 as he peak.

Now we appear to have recruited some young players who are almost(?) ready to be brought into the first team squad but still not hearing too much about those who have been with us since before puberty.

We have never been able to become for other than the odd season, a top second tier team/club. Capable of consistently every season knocking on the promotion door and/or getting to quarter and semi finals of the FL and FA Cups.

We are still thought of as a minnow by supporters of clubs like Sheff U & Wed, Leeds, Boro, Watford, Forest and so many others simply because they have been up there more often in their existence than we have. They can all name a lot more of their players who have gained full international caps while with their club. We have John Atyeo and Dermot Curtis as our only full internationals while at City since the 1939-46 war ended. (Until the last season when Magnusson and O'Dowda arrived and apologies if I've missed any. Gerry Gow?).

Give us ten years in the Prem with some good cup runs like a Stoke City or similar and our stock with the rest of the country will have risen. Harry Dolman once said at a shareholders AGM that BCFC will never be a Tottenham Hotspur, and I agree with that, but we could be thought of as a damn sight bigger/better than we are now. Again I say, that at 74 years, I wonder if I'll ever see it but I'm convinced that younger fans will see it happen.

I take your point but you are being a bit harsh on us re, international players.

Just off the top of my head; Goodridge, Sebok, Testimatanu, Wilkshire, Agostino, Elliot, Bailey Wright, Tommy D, Saborio, Kodjia, Cisse, Albert.

I think the new improved Ashton Gate has and will do us wonders. Our facilities were always a massive let down. We are a decent sized club IMO, any club that can average 20 k at this level and be in a relegation fight for most of it is what i would class a decent sized club.

18 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I take your point but you are being a bit harsh on us re, international players.

Just off the top of my head; Goodridge, Sebok, Testimatanu, Wilkshire, Agostino, Elliot, Bailey Wright, Tommy D, Saborio, Kodjia, Cisse, Albert.

Thanks for the list and a reminder about all of them. I take your point but in some ways, it also proves mine. Tommy D was the only one we developed and who played for a "Home" country, Albert and Agostino made their full debuts while with us, but the rest, were all internationals before they arrived. More importantly as regards the esteem we are accorded by fans of other clubs, none of that list, Tom D excepted, played for England, Scotland, Wales or either Irish team.

In some ways all this is irrelevant. We don't do top tier league or good cup runs or have Home internationals so our cred outside of the Bristol area is very poor and won't change until we do.

Just now, cidered abroad said:

Thanks for the list and a reminder about all of them. I take your point but in some ways, it also proves mine. Tommy D was the only one we developed and who played for a "Home" country, Albert and Agostino made their full debuts while with us, but the rest were all internationals before they arrived. More importantly as regards the esteem we are accorded by fans of other clubs, none of that list played for England, Scotland, Wales or either Irish team.

In some ways all this is irrelevant. We don't top top tier league or good cup runs or have Home internationals so our cred outside of the Bristol area is very poor and won't change until we do.

As did Kodjia which is the one that other players will take notice of and could prove beneficial in the future.

44 minutes ago, bris red said:

I think the new improved Ashton Gate has and will do us wonders. Our facilities were always a massive let down. We are a decent sized club IMO, any club that can average 20 k at this level and be in a relegation fight for most of it is what i would class a decent sized club.

totally agree. Furthermore, I think the new-look stadium has coincided with a time when Bristol's stock as a city to live has crested. Let's be honest, our city used to be a bit of a hole, not to mention a little provincial and cut-off (I think Andy Cole said as much when we sold him). The city has evolved hugely since the start of the millennium and that can only benefit us as well in terms of attracting talent and establishing ourselves further. The future is bright and there should be much cause for optimism. 

As things stand mind, we have to be realistic and say we have consistently fallen short of fulfilling our potential - we've spent the last 30 years yo-yo'ing between the second and third flights so to consider ourselves as sleeping giants in the mould of Forest, Leeds, etc is inaccurate. Fortunately, and despite prevailing frustrations, the outlook is positive. 

8 hours ago, Neo said:

Just interested where people think we are?

I see posters on this forum saying we are big enough that we should be pushing top 10, 6 etc. and then I see posters shooting down transfer speculation on the transfer forum for literally anybody people have heard of or know has genuine quality.

If we are serious about anything but battling in the bottom half of this league we do have to pay the money and try to attract the occasional Tom Ince, Danny Ings type player to bolster the average squad we have otherwise we need to get real and accept the fact we won't compete at this level with what we have and the lesser quality players most think are the only realistic targets.

Small club mentality is coming out from the fans - I hope not in the boardroom or another frustrating season beckons !!

The trouble with a 'Tom Ince' or 'Danny Ings' signing is that we'd have to convince them that we aren't 'little old Bristol City' who have done very little over the years in the top two divisions.

By that, I mean we'd have to convince them that we are actually trying to get somewhere & that we are going to sign another 6 / 7 / 8 players of the same caliber or better & to do that it's going to cost us £50m plus??

Much the same as when we were supposedly serious about signing Gayle & Gray, it's all good offering the transfer fee but you have to convince players of that caliber that they have a reason to join us, that we are serious about getting promotion because players of that caliber want to play in the Premier League not flirting with relegation.

Just for us to get on a level footing with the likes of Sheffield Wednesday, Derby & Middlesbrough, we have to upgrade possibly 8 or 9 of our players & pay the wages to go with it but we will never do that in one season!

We'll go with the option of spending £2m on a couple of players in the hope that they suddenly become £10m players but are still on peanuts compared to the top clubs in this division.

There comes a time when we have to bite the bullet & pay the going rate if we are serious about getting out of this division via promotion rather than relegation, either we pay Championship quality players the going rate (to stop us losing the likes of Flint & Bryan) or we sign the best players from Italy's, Spain's, Portugal's, Germany's & France's 2nd division & hope they come good but that comes with no guarantees & will probably take time to come to fruition.

We still have a core of League One players & sadly they haven't really progressed us as a club & while a couple have improved, the majority haven't improved enough to move us as a club forward & at the rate we are moving it will probably be 2040 by the time we are ready to compete at the top end of this division.

I know it's easy to say because it isn't my money but this blueprint needs to be binned & SL needs to hand over say £20m now (for four or five players) & the same again next summer, that should then see the quality of our team / squad improve dramatically & put us up there with the better teams in this division.

But we also need to make our statement of intent known to the players (current & potential ones) so that they know we are serious in building a quality team / squad rather than them just thinking that one signing is all we are going to make (Gayle / Gray).

But we won't do that, we will continue to get what we pay for, paying £1m - £2m per player may seem big for some of our fans but it's nothing nowadays & look where it's got us? We have players considered not yet ready for the standard we are playing at!! So sign players that are ready for the standard we are playing at & we will start attracting better players & it will become easier to do instead of it becoming a battle to sign any real quality!

A worry I also have is how reliant we will become on loan signings from Premier League clubs, while Tammy was a huge success it still only means we have these players for one season & then they go back to their parent club & they benefit from any financial success!! I don't mind the odd loan youngster but it sounds like we are about to take on more than just one 'potential gem' & just how reliant will we be on someone else's players??

The whole squad needs upgrading with the exception of maybe one or two first team players & another one or two potential players but we tend to sign players who improve on what we have on the bench & not what we have regularly in the first eleven!

For me, we are still a small club, some players & supporters don't even know who Bristol City are or even where we are in the country & we need to do something to improve that perception of us!

13 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

The trouble with a 'Tom Ince' or 'Danny Ings' signing is that we'd have to convince them that we aren't 'little old Bristol City' who have done very little over the years in the top two divisions.

By that, I mean we'd have to convince them that we are actually trying to get somewhere & that we are going to sign another 6 / 7 / 8 players of the same caliber or better & to do that it's going to cost us £50m plus??

Much the same as when we were supposedly serious about signing Gayle & Gray, it's all good offering the transfer fee but you have to convince players of that caliber that they have a reason to join us, that we are serious about getting promotion because players of that caliber want to play in the Premier League not flirting with relegation.

Just for us to get on a level footing with the likes of Sheffield Wednesday, Derby & Middlesbrough, we have to upgrade possibly 8 or 9 of our players & pay the wages to go with it but we will never do that in one season!

We'll go with the option of spending £2m on a couple of players in the hope that they suddenly become £10m players but are still on peanuts compared to the top clubs in this division.

There comes a time when we have to bite the bullet & pay the going rate if we are serious about getting out of this division via promotion rather than relegation, either we pay Championship quality players the going rate (to stop us losing the likes of Flint & Bryan) or we sign the best players from Italy's, Spain's, Portugal's, Germany's & France's 2nd division & hope they come good but that comes with no guarantees & will probably take time to come to fruition.

We still have a core of League One players & sadly they haven't really progressed us as a club & while a couple have improved, the majority haven't improved enough to move us as a club forward & at the rate we are moving it will probably be 2040 by the time we are ready to compete at the top end of this division.

I know it's easy to say because it isn't my money but this blueprint needs to be binned & SL needs to hand over say £20m now (for four or five players) & the same again next summer, that should then see the quality of our team / squad improve dramatically & put us up there with the better teams in this division.

But we also need to make our statement of intent known to the players (current & potential ones) so that they know we are serious in building a quality team / squad rather than them just thinking that one signing is all we are going to make (Gayle / Gray).

But we won't do that, we will continue to get what we pay for, paying £1m - £2m per player may seem big for some of our fans but it's nothing nowadays & look where it's got us? We have players considered not yet ready for the standard we are playing at!! So sign players that are ready for the standard we are playing at & we will start attracting better players & it will become easier to do instead of it becoming a battle to sign any real quality!

A worry I also have is how reliant we will become on loan signings from Premier League clubs, while Tammy was a huge success it still only means we have these players for one season & then they go back to their parent club & they benefit from any financial success!! I don't mind the odd loan youngster but it sounds like we are about to take on more than just one 'potential gem' & just how reliant will we be on someone else's players??

The whole squad needs upgrading with the exception of maybe one or two first team players & another one or two potential players but we tend to sign players who improve on what we have on the bench & not what we have regularly in the first eleven!

For me, we are still a small club, some players & supporters don't even know who Bristol City are or even where we are in the country & we need to do something to improve that perception of us!

I've been saying this for years,it makes it harder knowing we have the funds to do it but we don't big ourselves up ,people will start on about ffp rules but let's do what everybody else does and sod em

27 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

We wont spend half that on players and even then it will be wasted if they aren't first team players. All this building for the future rubbish spouted is rubbish because anyone any good is soon cashed in on; and M TAYLOR brought in (really) what was that all about? shows how big we are :facepalm:

1 minute ago, Mtimmy11 said:

I've been saying this for years,it makes it harder knowing we have the funds to do it but we don't big ourselves up ,people will start on about ffp rules but let's do what everybody else does and sod em

I don't know the in's & out's of the FFP rules but I'd hazard a guess that we are nowhere near being in trouble with them & can probably spend considerably more than we have on improving the squad than we have, so why not push to what we are allowed? That would see the quality of our squad improve dramatically in my personal opinion.

are we a big club? The view (as usual) depends on which way you're looking. Are we the biggest club in Bristol? Definitely!! Are we the biggest in the West Country? Definitely!! Are we the biggest in Southern England? Err hardly. Are we one of the biggest in Southern England? Well Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham, Chelsea, Palace  and Southampton are bigger. I'd suggest we were on a par with Brighton, Millwall, and Reading, bigger than Pompey, Swindon or Bournemouth, Gillingham, Charlton, MK Dons, Brentford, Luton etc. We start to have issues with size when we move toward the Midlands. Ipswich's history is bigger than ours, and I'd suggest that Norwich were a bigger club. In fact... we could use them as a template and often said so

Are we a big club?

Who ****** cares. As it happens were not and never will be.

In our small world (in the west country) football wise we are as big as it gets.

Iv probably at one time or another brought 30 to 40 blokes to the gate from South Devon. Going way back to when we were in the top division there was so many coming up from Devon and Cornwall you wouldn't believe.

Under no illusion it was to watch the City, but there were a lot that would come up on a Tuesday night to see top flight football.

I realise that most were coming to have a rare sight of there team, Spurs, Liverpool etc,

So unless Plymouth pass us by we will be quite big in our little West Country world and should we get there they will come.     But do we care who thinks were a big club or a tiny club?  I for one couldn't give a ****.  Urrrrreeeeedddddssssss!!!             

2 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Are we a big club?

Who ****** cares. As it happens were not and never will be.

In our small world (in the west country) football wise we are as big as it gets.

Iv probably at one time or another brought 30 to 40 blokes to the gate from South Devon. Going way back to when we were in the top division there was so many coming up from Devon and Cornwall you wouldn't believe.

Under no illusion it was to watch the City, but there were a lot that would come up on a Tuesday night to see top flight football.

I realise that most were coming to have a rare sight of there team, Spurs, Liverpool etc,

So unless Plymouth pass us by we will be quite big in our little West Country world and should we get there they will come.     But do we care who thinks were a big club or a tiny club?  I for one couldn't give a ****.  Urrrrreeeeedddddssssss!!!             

understand where you are from, but I often wish there wasn't a country mile between us and our west country rivals. If Argyle or The Gas turned up in Tier 2,,, we'd have something to fight against... and that could only be a good thing.

Just now, Sweeneys Penalties said:

understand where you are from, but I often wish there wasn't a country mile between us and our west country rivals. If Argyle or The Gas turned up in Tier 2,,, we'd have something to fight against... and that could only be a good thing.

For sure Sween. If Plymouth get on a roll and given the stadium they are up with us.

They have Cornwall, North Devon for support and they do carry a lot of weight in these areas.

2 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

If you are suggesting Mr Lansdown injects twenty million pounds as a written off loss into BCFC that cannot be done under FFP rules. He can inject equity however sums are capped at well below the sums you mention.   

13 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

If you are suggesting Mr Lansdown injects twenty million pounds as a written off loss into BCFC that cannot be done under FFP rules. He can inject equity however sums are capped at well below the sums you mention.   

As I've said elsewhere in the thread, I don't know the in's & out's of the FFP rules but I know that stadium improvements & transfer incomings & outgoings have a bearing on it, so on that basis, the two years or so of stadium improvements & the fact that we must of made a profit from our transfer dealings (JK's fee plus bonuses from Adomah's & Bolasie's deals) & the added income from the increased crowds  must mean we have a bit of room to loosen the purse strings?

Plus, was there not some sort of benefit with regards to FFP from 'Bristol Sport' being involved in the club?

We must have some 'wiggle room', how did Wolves manage to spend so much last season? £12.75m on Costa, £6.8m on Cavaleiro, £3.4m on Saiss, £2.7 on Bodvarsson, £1.8m on Oniangue, £1.7m on Gladon, £1.2m on Marshall plus numerous free transfers & loans totalling just over £30m!! While only gaining just over £2m on transfer incomings!!

Aston Villa spent £72m!! And received £39m!!

We seemingly spent just over £10m last season & brought in £12m but that's without the fee's being divulged for Agard, O'Donnell, Williams & Burns or the sell-on money from Adomah & Bolasie!

We have never invested a ridiculous amount on players.

As I say, we must have some 'wiggle room'?

2 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

As I've said elsewhere in the thread, I don't know the in's & out's of the FFP rules but I know that stadium improvements & transfer incomings & outgoings have a bearing on it, so on that basis, the two years or so of stadium improvements & the fact that we must of made a profit from our transfer dealings (JK's fee plus bonuses from Adomah's & Bolasie's deals) & the added income from the increased crowds  must mean we have a bit of room to loosen the purse strings?

Plus, was there not some sort of benefit with regards to FFP from 'Bristol Sport' being involved in the club?

We must have some 'wiggle room', how did Wolves manage to spend so much last season? £12.75m on Costa, £6.8m on Cavaleiro, £3.4m on Saiss, £2.7 on Bodvarsson, £1.8m on Oniangue, £1.7m on Gladon, £1.2m on Marshall plus numerous free transfers & loans totalling just over £30m!! While only gaining just over £2m on transfer incomings!!

Aston Villa spent £72m!! And received £39m!!

We seemingly spent just over £10m last season & brought in £12m but that's without the fee's being divulged for Agard, O'Donnell, Williams & Burns or the sell-on money from Adomah & Bolasie!

We have never invested a ridiculous amount on players.

As I say, we must have some 'wiggle room'?

time to get wiggling then!

Archived