IGNORED

John Terry to play at Ashton Gate?

myol'man

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Don't think you appreciate quite how good he is. He captained Chelsea during their best period in the history, he retained the captaincy under a vast amount of managers (Mourinho, Grant, Scolari, Ancelotti, Villas-Boas, Di Matteo, Benitez, Conte + more) - that shows his leadership qualities and respect he commands at that club. 

I don't think Matty Taylor will 'run circles' around John Terry somehow. He's spent the majority of his career facing the likes of Thierry Henry, Cristiano Ronaldo, Rooney, Ibrahimovic, Aguero, Sanchez etc..

He's also deceptively very strong, and clever with it and trained with Didier Drogba and Diego Costa for years - the likes of Djuric and Diedhiou won't phase him. He won't lose many physical battles this season and it won't be new to him.

The gulf in class between genuinely top class premier league quality and this league is vast and if Villa start well his leadership and quality will show. If you can afford him, he's a great asset at this level. 

I'm not knocking his skill. Blimey, he was one of England's best centre backs for decades.

I'm questioning his stamina. He's played high performance football for nearly 20 years, against some of the best in the business.

Whilst it will be a more easier in the Champ, I really think his performances aren't going to be what Villa are hoping for.

Only time will tell.

Terry would still do a fine job at this level- but it also depends on the tactics IMO.

An AVB/Pep style high high line at this level and he may well struggle. Steve Bruce though, often has quite a deep defence, has been known to use counter attacking tactics, so yeah with that, plus his nous, it could be a perfect fit.

Regards Parachute Payments- I think there is a place for them but only if not taken advantage of. Should come with conditions such as debt clearance, selling expensive and viable assets, loaning them too. Try to take advantage? No parachute payments.

3 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Harry papering over the cracks again with big money crocked players, he will do a QPR on them except they will end up in league 2. 

Harry 'Houdini' Redknapp, the Birmingham City manager, has more magic than we ever realised then if he's able to lumber his same city rivals with expensive players to disadvantage them.

Don't understand such hatred for him apart from shagging his best mates bird :facepalm: but then again go out in town on a Saturday night and its most likely to be the norm these days. 

Back to football, on the pitch his presence alone will surely boost his team mates? Former England captain, Premier League winner and Champions league winner speaks volumes. 

I think he will do well for Villa but I hope he has a stinker down the Gate. :fingerscrossed:

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Harry 'Houdini' Redknapp, the Birmingham City manager, has more magic than we ever realised then if he's able to lumber his same city rivals with expensive players to disadvantage them.

Short term 'gains' long term failure...this has QPR again written all over it, unsustainable, 

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He didn't get in the side largely because he had a few injuries and Chelsea were romping towards the title. He might not quite be of the quality to play in a premier league winning defence anymore, but he's definitely good enough for Aston Villa.

He's in a totally different league of ability to David James so you can't make the same comparison. Just because David James didn't work out doesn't mean one of the most decorated captains in Premier League history won't be able to adapt.

Its a game of opinions of course but for me Terry is past it. Highly decorated or not he will bring more to Villa off the field than he will on it IMO.

8 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

And does that look like money well spent for Villa?  It does not, another season of underperformance for them and another cut in their parachute payment to make it harder the next year.

There may be somebody on here that us envious that Villa have signed Terry on £60k a week; but not many.

Bruce rarely makes a mistake in his transfer dealings; or rather I would bow to his vastly superior knowledge of both the game and John Terry than any of us on here. All sounds like crazy money, he sounds ancient but thats the price of the game today and Terry is clearly still looking after himself.

6 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

£3m on a nearly 37 year old's wages is vastly different to (say) £3m on someone like Kodjia where you actually get an asset with future value.

Just goes to show the gulf financially between the teams coming down from the Prem.

Rewarded for failure. The system needs a shake up but that's another topic....

Villa don't care two hoops about future value; if Terry bonds the back line like glue the team will be purring away nicely up front and if they make it back up 3 million will look much like small change for a packet of crisps.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Maybe Kodjia is getting the number 9, 10 or 15 (Drogba). 

To cut JT some slack.. I suppose it was quite an incredible coincidence that the shirt he got given as a young player EXACTLY matched his IQ. I can understand the sentimental reason for keeping hold of it.

Will be interesting to see how he gets on for sure, with the money JT commands i wouldn't want him here. 

Without doubt one of the best Premiership defenders and captains ever but will his head be right for a long Championship season? Will he put 100% into ever game? does he really want to be at Villa?

Nothing against the bloke but i hope he and Villa fail.

Archived