IGNORED

John Terry to play at Ashton Gate?

myol'man

10 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

£60k a week doesn't seem that much for a player like Terry even in the championship.

Works out as just over £3m for a full year which when you take into account there is no transfer fee involved, if it pushes them back to the promised land then it's money well spent.

Personally I am happier with the thought of keeping Flint rather than selling him and signing Terry (not saying it would happen, just speaking hypothetically).

Crazy innit? Some folk have to really struggle to put food on the table, a working mans game...my a$$.

10 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

£60k a week doesn't seem that much for a player like Terry even in the championship.

Works out as just over £3m for a full year which when you take into account there is no transfer fee involved, if it pushes them back to the promised land then it's money well spent.

Personally I am happier with the thought of keeping Flint rather than selling him and signing Terry (not saying it would happen, just speaking hypothetically).

Agreed. Wouldn't want JT anywhere near us. Too much scandal and his best days are behind him. I don't doubt he will do a job for Villa but it won't last long.

6 minutes ago, Super said:

Surely a battle with Djuric will suit Terry all day long.

Would quite like the snake and Famara playing up against JT. Matty because he will run circles round him and draw JT out of position and Famara as he has the strength and build to dominate over him.

Either way, I doubt JT will be troubling many strike forces this season.

1 minute ago, Septic Peg said:

Agreed. Wouldn't want JT anywhere near us. Too much scandal and his best days are behind him. I don't doubt he will do a job for Villa but it won't last long.

Would quite like the snake and Famara playing up against JT. Matty because he will run circles round him and draw JT out of position and Famara as he has the strength and build to dominate over him.

JT would walk into our team.

He's still a very good defender, experienced, and reads the game well. Decent , if short term (sighted?) signing. If he thinks he's going to have an easy time and cruise to the title, he could have a surprise coming 
I think it will be interesting this season, Villa continuing to try and buy promotion, Sunderland continuing to be a basket case and plenty of sides looking to press for the top. 
I just hope we can have a more relaxing season, and maybe upset a few more of the so called big boys.

17 minutes ago, Super said:

JT would walk into our team.

JT would ' hobble ' into our team then after 30 mins would leave the field never to play for us again.

High energy , pressing , movement, not what he's about is it ?

I think it's a ridiculous move for Villa and one that fills me with hope that they're going to crash and burn .

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Seems like it's actually happening then 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/02/john-terry-decides-join-aston-villa-will-sign-imminently/amp/

£60k a week in the Championship. How long before this is standard I wonder? 

Anyone who thinks we have underperformed given the 'investment in the team'....reality check. 

A £3m deal.  Not that much money really in today's game.  

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

A £3m deal.  Not that much money really in today's game.  

£3m on a nearly 37 year old's wages is vastly different to (say) £3m on someone like Kodjia where you actually get an asset with future value.

Just goes to show the gulf financially between the teams coming down from the Prem.

Rewarded for failure. The system needs a shake up but that's another topic....

30 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

£3m on a nearly 37 year old's wages is vastly different to (say) £3m on someone like Kodjia where you actually get an asset with future value.

Just goes to show the gulf financially between the teams coming down from the Prem.

Rewarded for failure. The system needs a shake up but that's another topic....

I don't have a problem with parachute payments.  The last thing we need is teams getting promoted and then being scared to give survival in the Premier League a go by signing the type of players, on the type of money they need to survive. 

It's not as if teams who get promoted from the Championship are only teams that are receiving parachute payments.  

50 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

7T would ' hobble ' into our team then after 30 mins would leave the field never to play for us again.

High energy , pressing , movement, not what he's about is it ?

I think it's a ridiculous move for Villa and one that fills me with hope that they're going to crash and burn .

High energy , pressing , movement, not what he's about is it ? Is interesting that John Terry has coped with that at the very highest level. His game was like watching a mathematician in operation all defensive triangles and positioning  = Intellect.  

A  player with a thoroughly two footed pass completion average of 87 - 92% (92% being a season highest for all positions over the division) short and long in the Premiership John Terry would walk into most Championship teams, walk, run and crawl.

It is not such a ridiculous move for Villa if he players regularly and gets near to his previous greatness.

Football, intelligence goes a long way, it goes nowhere if you do not have it in the first place and on the training ground every single player should be watching how the man trains and listening to anything he has to say.

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I don't have a problem with parachute payments.  The last thing we need is teams getting promoted and then being scared to give survival in the Premier League a go by signing the type of players, on the type of money they need to survive. 

It's not as if teams who get promoted from the Championship are only teams that are receiving parachute payments.  

Flip side is it encourages teams to be financially irresponsible, knowing that they'll be bailed out if their ill thought out plans go tits up. 

I get what you're saying but the amount of money teams get for being relegated is obscene. It's not sustainable and one day the whole thing is going to collapse. 

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Don't think you appreciate quite how good he is. He captained Chelsea during their best period in the history, he retained the captaincy under a vast amount of managers (Mourinho, Grant, Scolari, Ancelotti, Villas-Boas, Di Matteo, Benitez, Conte + more) - that shows his leadership qualities and respect he commands at that club. 

I don't think Matty Taylor will 'run circles' around John Terry somehow. He's spent the majority of his career facing the likes of Thierry Henry, Cristiano Ronaldo, Rooney, Ibrahimovic, Aguero, Sanchez etc..

He's also deceptively very strong, and clever with it and trained with Didier Drogba and Diego Costa for years - the likes of Djuric and Diedhiou won't phase him. He won't lose many physical battles this season and it won't be new to him.

The gulf in class between genuinely top class premier league quality and this league is vast and if Villa start well his leadership and quality will show. If you can afford him, he's a great asset at this level. 

46 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Don't think you appreciate quite how good he is WAS. He captained Chelsea during their best period in the history, he retained the captaincy under a vast amount of managers (Mourinho, Grant, Scolari, Ancelotti, Villas-Boas, Di Matteo, Benitez, Conte + more) - that shows his leadership qualities and respect he commands at that club. 

I don't think Matty Taylor will 'run circles' around John Terry somehow. He's spent the majority of his career facing the likes of Thierry Henry, Cristiano Ronaldo, Rooney, Ibrahimovic, Aguero, Sanchez etc..

He's also deceptively very strong, and clever with it and trained with Didier Drogba and Diego Costa for years - the likes of Djuric and Diedhiou won't phase him. He won't lose many physical battles this season and it won't be new to him.

The gulf in class between genuinely top class premier league quality and this league is vast and if Villa start well his leadership and quality will show. If you can afford him, he's a great asset at this level. 

corrected for you

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

corrected for you

You didn't 'correct it for me' because it's your opinion.. and I disagree with you. Even if he lost a bit of pace through age, his reading of the game, experience and leadership would get better if anything. The gulf in class between a player who played at the top of the world game and this league is huge. 

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You didn't 'correct it for me' because it's your opinion.. and I disagree with you. Even if he lost a bit of pace through age, his reading of the game, experience and leadership would get better if anything. The gulf in class between a player who played at the top of the world game and this league is huge. 

and he was that player, he isn't anymore which is why he didn't get in the Chelsea side, We had a top goalkeeper and current england number one sign for us off the back of a world cup, he was underwhelming, Terry will be the same,

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

and he was that player, he isn't anymore which is why he didn't get in the Chelsea side, We had a top goalkeeper and current england number one sign for us off the back of a world cup, he was underwhelming, Terry will be the same,

He didn't get in the side largely because he had a few injuries and Chelsea were romping towards the title. He might not quite be of the quality to play in a premier league winning defence anymore, but he's definitely good enough for Aston Villa.

He's in a totally different league of ability to David James so you can't make the same comparison. Just because David James didn't work out doesn't mean one of the most decorated captains in Premier League history won't be able to adapt.

Archived